Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

OT - Soccer Thread - January, 2020

As we flip the calendar to 2020, there are many things we do not yet know about the year to come. One thing, though, is certain: there will be lots of complaining about VAR. And I for one am looking forward to it.*

*I am not actually looking forward to it.

The Marksist Posted: December 31, 2019 at 04:38 PM | 715 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ot, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 8 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8
   701. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 28, 2020 at 04:44 PM (#5927166)
Still a tad unlikely, but Germany is now pretty well poised to have the highest UEFA points accumulation this year, which would be a big surprise. Their current point total is not far behind England and Spain, and they are expected to have ~ 4.25 teams out of the final 16 in Europe. That's easily the highest of any league: England ~ 3.1; Italy ~ 2.85; Spain ~ 2.5.

The only La Liga team with an "easy" path into the final 8 is Barca. Of course, the La Liga teams could still win all the 50/50 mathcups and be well represented.
   702. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM (#5927243)
Chelsea was dominating but only up 0-1, then Bournemouth grabbed one off a corner and started to play much better, getting another one soon after. Now it's hailing.

Hoffenheim/Bayern postponed in the 76th minute (Bayern up 0-6) reportedly due to Bayern fans abusing the Hoffenheim owner from the stands?

How many more weeks of games do we have left, with the coronavirus looming? Are they going to play a bunch of these to empty stadiums or just postpone them?
   703. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 12:00 PM (#5927248)
Newcastle finally played a decent game. Of course, only got a 0-0 draw out of it. West Ham played surprisingly well against Southampton. Even Bournemouth did fairly well considering their opponent, and will take a point.

Relegation battling teams at home this week have two wins, two draws, and a loss, with Watford still to play Liverpool and Villa having to wait due to the league cup scheduling.

In the Championship, only Leeds and Fulham had wins. All the other teams in the top half of the table had draws or losses. Forest plays tomorrow.
   704. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 01:23 PM (#5927257)
Liverpool looking shaky yet again. A great team, no doubt, but not historically transcendent the way their streak would suggest. Thus, I'm hoping they lose a few down the stretch.
   705. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 02:06 PM (#5927263)
Ok so Liverpool didn't look good at halftime when it was 0-0, but I don't think anyone was expecting this capitulation.

Liverpool has been outshot 13-5 so far.

and Watford seems like they will have dominated xG. The 3-0 scoreline flatters them a bit, but this is no fluke result. Per understat and 538, Liverpool was on the short end of xG 4 other times this year, all in games they won. Never by more than about half a goal though.
   706. Jose Is Absurdly Chatty Posted: February 29, 2020 at 02:10 PM (#5927264)
Unreal. I’ve been watching the Bruins-Islanders game and just flipped over and almost fell off my couch.
   707. The_Ex Posted: February 29, 2020 at 02:22 PM (#5927265)
Klopp might welcome this loss. It should help the team get focused before the Athletico rematch.
   708. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 02:27 PM (#5927267)
Yeah I agree it could really help them in the CL, in this round and if they advance as well. No good reason not to focus heavily on the CL now.

I think it's also good they don't play Atleti in 3 days, as they still might be recovering from the shock. Of course, beating Atleti will be no easy task regardless.
   709. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 02:30 PM (#5927269)
Also Watford really isn't a bad team at all, despite their record this year. 538 had them as 12th in the league coming into the game, in a group just below the top 9 and Sheffield United. Playing at home I knew they could give Liverpool a game at least, though of course I expected Liverpool to win.

edit: understat xG was 2.73-0.20. That's astounding. Some of the xGA Liverpool gave up was just pure defensive errors, but they also gave up some other chances, and they didn't do anything on the offensive end.

Also, the scoreline didn't really flatter Watford based on xG alone (though again that includes the defensive errors by Liverpool).
   710. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 29, 2020 at 02:39 PM (#5927272)
I'm estimating Liverpool is just slightly over 50/50 for 100 point season. Maybe best estimate is 101.
   711. greenback Posted: February 29, 2020 at 03:09 PM (#5927275)
Hoffenheim/Bayern postponed in the 76th minute (Bayern up 0-6) reportedly due to Bayern fans abusing the Hoffenheim owner from the stands?

Yeah, Bayern fans had a sign calling Dietmar Hopp a son of a whore. Pretty childish on the fans' part, but the decision to suspend the game (they did finish, just kicking the ball back and forth around the circle) seems like an over-reaction. Hopp is a divisive figure due to Germany's ownership rules, and it seems like the DFB has decided some attacks that were over the line are justification for over-reacting to something like this.
   712. The_Ex Posted: February 29, 2020 at 03:13 PM (#5927276)
Was it the players in the Bayern game who decided to kick it around or was it the managers/officials?
   713. Do Not Touch Fancy Pants Socially Distanced Handle Posted: February 29, 2020 at 03:34 PM (#5927277)
From what I head, players.

No doubt the scoreline made it a fairly easy thing to agree on though.
   714. Do Not Touch Fancy Pants Socially Distanced Handle Posted: February 29, 2020 at 03:40 PM (#5927278)
Hopp has a tendency of not helping himself out any. I am sure he would not be popular regardless, but everytime a read a quote of his, he just comes of as an arrogant, self-centred narcissist. And quite frankly clueless, as he never seems to grasp how his comments will be received.

The one that particularly stuck in my mind, was after some random player said something along the lines of "I think it's a shame that a club like that (meaning one that bought it's way to promotion) is taking up one of the 36 spots for professional teams." In all honesty, it was a fairly innocuous quote. And Hopp's reaction was to run crying to the DFB about "discrimination," and actually said that this kind of "discrimination" should be treated no different than racism.

Which is just such an unimaginably tone-deaf thing to say. Especially with Germany's very real history with discrimination and racism.
   715. Do Not Touch Fancy Pants Socially Distanced Handle Posted: February 29, 2020 at 03:41 PM (#5927279)
Which is not to say that the insults and banners from fans aren't tasteless and childish of course. Just trying to put the situation in some context.
Page 8 of 8 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.