Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 07, 2020

OT – NBA Revival Thread 2020

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, and hopefully all of them survive these next few weeks.

BBTF Corona Draft Tournament Voting Page

BBTF Corona Tournament Brackets

BBTF Corona Draft and Rosters Page

Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 07, 2020 at 04:08 PM | 813 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 > 
   701. Booey Posted: July 29, 2020 at 12:40 PM (#5966663)
And flip
   702. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: July 29, 2020 at 12:57 PM (#5966667)
has anyone tried to vote for bobby tables?
Voting for him would be hard, but feel free to vote as him.
   703. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 29, 2020 at 03:54 PM (#5966706)
It is an outrage my vote for Hombre was deleted. I protest! This whole affair is a travesty! Travesty I say!

Just kidding, the whole thing has been great fun, and thanks to all the hard work so many people (not me mind you) put into this.

Thank you so much, especially Winter - I think he did all the website stuff.
   704. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: July 29, 2020 at 08:33 PM (#5966770)
People over 6ft have double the risk of coronavirus, study suggests

Findings indicate Covid-19 transmitting through air, as height would not make a difference if it were carried only through droplets

People who are over 6ft tall have more than double the chance of being diagnosed with Covid-19, a survey suggests.

An international team of researchers, including experts from the University of Manchester and Open University, surveyed 2,000 people in the UK and US to look at whether personal attributes, work and living practices might influence transmission.

The team found taller people are at higher risk, which scientists say suggests coronavirus is transmitting through the air because height would not make a difference if people were contracting it exclusively through droplets.

Aerosols can accumulate in poorly-ventilated areas and are carried by air currents. Droplets, however, are bigger than aerosols and thought to travel relatively short distances and drop quickly from the air....

--

link
   705. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: July 29, 2020 at 08:55 PM (#5966775)
NBA Bubble Life
@NBABubbleLife
·
2h
0 players have tested positive for covid-19. wearing masks & social distancing works.
   706. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 29, 2020 at 09:11 PM (#5966778)
Winter did yeoman's work, I was just the idea guy, and not an original idea at that.

If our two Finals teams would write one last thing, that'd be great.
   707. JJ1986 Posted: July 30, 2020 at 09:21 AM (#5966851)
I don't have time to do much of a writeup. I'm going with the same strategy as last time, but I'll add a few things. My team has championship-winning LeBron and a Kobe who had won two championships as a second banana, while Willard has pre-championship Dirk and MJ, and Dirk especially had a different game by the time he was a winner. And the second thing is that Moses has voted for me 6 times and against me 0, so clearly that's the right side to be on.
   708. Booey Posted: July 30, 2020 at 12:06 PM (#5966897)
#707 - Yes, but has Der-K voted for your team a SINGLE time?!
   709. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: July 30, 2020 at 12:18 PM (#5966900)
Going off the assumption that basketball fans skew taller than average, [704] would seem to be at odds with rr's current "calming the thread down" moniker.
   710. JJ1986 Posted: July 30, 2020 at 12:52 PM (#5966907)
Going off the assumption that basketball fans skew taller than average, [704] would seem to be at odds with rr's current "calming the thread down" moniker.

I'm going to assume that it's binary and I'm on the safe side of the line at 5'11.5"
   711. JJ1986 Posted: July 30, 2020 at 12:56 PM (#5966908)
Team LeBron would like to thank the voters, our fake coach and the city of Cleveland for our victory.

Hopefully there's not again a months long period without any real sports, but I do think it would be fun to have the same tournament, but with something like 1978-era rules. So, you can still take Steph Curry really high, but he's only going to give you long 2-pointers. Or some other way to reward post play and rebounding. (Maybe pretend it's 1985 and you get to take like 6 threes a game.)
   712. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: July 30, 2020 at 12:58 PM (#5966909)

Heh. It was actually a reference to the fact that the NBA Bubble is probably the tallest community on Planet COVID right now, and I wanted to juxtapose that against the 0 positive tests. But I think everybody here got that.

I am just not into the league coming back, at least for now. Hope those on the thread who are enjoy it, that the players et al stay healthy, and that Lou Williams orders room service and no-contact delivery.
   713. Booey Posted: July 30, 2020 at 02:14 PM (#5966940)
Congrats to JJ1986 and his Corona tournament championship! Kudos to Hombre for putting it together and Winter's Night for setting up the voting and bracket pages. The tourney kind of petered out at the end with the voters seeing the LeBron and Jordan teams as unbeatable except against each other, which created multiple rematches down the stretch rather than fun new match ups (all 3 of Willard's losses were to JJ, all 3 of Hombre's losses were to Willard), but overall it helped pass these long months with no sports quite nicely, and it was probably the most entertaining project we've ever done on this thread.

So again, thanks to all who participated. And Hombre/Winter...I take back all the horrible things I've ever written about you on random truck stop mens room walls.
   714. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 30, 2020 at 02:35 PM (#5966945)
I'm sure I missed this, but what if two teams are within 4 games of the 8-seed: do #10 and #9 play elimination games to determine who plays #8?

715. JJ1986 Posted: July 30, 2020 at 02:40 PM (#5966946)
I believe it will just be 8 and 9, though I don't know what the tiebreaking procedure is for ties at the 9th seed.
   716. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: July 30, 2020 at 02:43 PM (#5966947)
[713] You can leave the one you wrote about me in Provo, that was actually pretty on the nose.
   717. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: July 30, 2020 at 02:48 PM (#5966950)
Yes, thanks again to those who put this together (Hombre and winter's night) and those who participated. I understand there was some frustration and exhaustion along the way (much like a real NBA season!). It was great fun!

Now for the serious question. What, if anything, did we learn?
   718. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: July 30, 2020 at 03:00 PM (#5966953)
Imagining how players will play in a different team context than the one they actually had is hard, and getting other people to see it your way is VERY hard. I have a new appreciation for GM's who have to deal with micromanaging owners.
   719. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: July 30, 2020 at 03:08 PM (#5966954)
Now for the serious question. What, if anything, did we learn?
democracy doesn't work.
   720. tshipman Posted: July 30, 2020 at 03:22 PM (#5966956)
Hopefully there's not again a months long period without any real sports, but I do think it would be fun to have the same tournament, but with something like 1978-era rules. So, you can still take Steph Curry really high, but he's only going to give you long 2-pointers. Or some other way to reward post play and rebounding. (Maybe pretend it's 1985 and you get to take like 6 threes a game.)

Considering that the voters largely ignored the 3p line anyways, I doubt it makes an impact.
   721. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 30, 2020 at 05:18 PM (#5966979)
All the congrats to JJ1986, Corona Champion!

(all 3 of Willard's losses were to JJ, all 3 of Hombre's losses were to Willard)
Yeah, and if I'm being totally candid, I think I could beat Team Lebron with my paint muscle, but in no world was I going to be able to get past Willard to get my chance. I loved my team, though, and I think they're a worthy semi-finalist. Arguing for Wilt took up a lot more time than I expected, and I hardly spent any time talking about CP3. Match-ups played a much larger part of the tournament than I expected, teams that I thought were outstanding went out early, and I learned a lot about how different players from different eras were viewed. This was good fun.
   722. Booey Posted: July 30, 2020 at 07:02 PM (#5967011)
Gotta be honest, I like the irony of Rudy Gobert scoring the first bucket of the NBA restart.
   723. tshipman Posted: July 30, 2020 at 07:18 PM (#5967015)
Gobert (deservedly) got a lot of #### for his actions, but I think with the benefit of hindsight, shutting down the season was inevitable.

Gobert testing positive probably helped things along because at least it was someone that people had heard of testing positive, not some guy at the end of the bench.
   724. Booey Posted: July 30, 2020 at 08:39 PM (#5967025)
That Zion guy might have a future in this league. Playing limited minutes, but he gets high percentage shots so easily.
   725. JJ1986 Posted: July 30, 2020 at 10:00 PM (#5967037)
I 100% forgot that Reggie Jackson was on the Clippers.
   726. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 30, 2020 at 10:33 PM (#5967042)
The Lakers miss Bradley.
   727. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 31, 2020 at 12:11 AM (#5967052)
Great last defensive sequence by the Lakers. Everyone looked a bit rusty, but it was great to watch a game that counted. That's one!
   728. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: July 31, 2020 at 12:15 AM (#5967053)
The Lakers have to be happy to get the W considering LeBron didn't have a good offensive game. He did play well defensively though. The Clippers won't sweat it either because they didn't have Montrezl and Sweet Lou.

Was kind of a clunky game still fun though.

Is Marcus Morris any good?
   729. tshipman Posted: July 31, 2020 at 12:52 AM (#5967055)

I don't know.

I do know that Joakim Noah is ####### washed.

Best part of the Rondo injury is seeing Caruso with just under 28 minutes of burn tonight.
   730. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: July 31, 2020 at 06:10 AM (#5967064)
The NBA suspended operations on March 11 after Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19, and so it was an uncanny bit of coincidence when he scored the very first points of the restart. You needn’t be a spiritual person to understand that this was a sign (that Derrick Favors had bad positioning and gave up the baseline to Gobert).
Gobert also scored the go-ahead free throws for Utah with 7 seconds remaining. He now leads the league in plays that can be interpreted as vague metaphors about the restart.
link
   731. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2020 at 10:31 AM (#5967101)

I think not "good," but he's one of these guys that can do a little bit of a lot of different things and is therefore really useful to have. He falls in love with his own shot frequently, which I think is his biggest flaw, but on the other hand this is his third straight year of solid or better 3 pt shooting.
   732. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2020 at 10:32 AM (#5967102)
So what did you guys think of the tv experience last night? I have to say there were long stretches I didn't really think about the empty arenas, they've done a solid job. That said I think the lack of legitimate crowd noise in the playoffs is really going to be missed.
   733. spivey Posted: July 31, 2020 at 10:39 AM (#5967104)
I didn't watch the games and don't expect I'll watch games tonight. I'm sure I'll ease into it. I watched european soccer, though with a significantly reduced fanaticism than I would normally have. That said, I'm still very interested in the City/Real match coming up in a week or two.

All this to say, I expect that my interest will pick up in the NBA. But between the MLB stepping all over its own dick to the extent that the season could collapse or have teams removed or shortened games needed, and me viewing the NBA title as lesser than normal, I'm not sure when that will happen.
   734. NJ in NY (Now with two kids!) Posted: July 31, 2020 at 11:09 AM (#5967110)
and me viewing the NBA title as lesser than normal, I'm not sure when that will happen.

I don't get this at all. I view this title as greater than. Assuming one of the top teams does it, they will have done so without the aid of home court. If it's an issue of Team X won because Superstars A & B contracted the virus and the opposing team was down key personnel...I kind of get it, but it's not clear to me why that's any different than "normal" injuries. If you think that as an ethical matter what's being done is wrong, then that I can get.

So what did you guys think of the tv experience last night? I have to say there were long stretches I didn't really think about the empty arenas, they've done a solid job. That said I think the lack of legitimate crowd noise in the playoffs is really going to be missed.

I agree with you, where I most noticed it was the late 4th quarter plays where something happened that prompted me to react and there was no corresponding arena reaction.
   735. spivey Posted: July 31, 2020 at 11:31 AM (#5967117)
I don't get this at all. I view this title as greater than. Assuming one of the top teams does it, they will have done so without the aid of home court. If it's an issue of Team X won because Superstars A & B contracted the virus and the opposing team was down key personnel...I kind of get it, but it's not clear to me why that's any different than "normal" injuries. If you think that as an ethical matter what's being done is wrong, then that I can get.

It's a lot of things. It was a huge, huge break in the season that I think did or will affect the quality of play. I may be proven wrong there. I'll admit I have payed a bit less attention to the logistics, so didn't realize they were using normal number of games for each playoff round. That helps some. But yes, I think a scenario like what's happening in baseball right now is worse than normal injuries because it's a public health issue. It's a global pandemic and even if physically you can play through having the disease, it's not something you can do. I think players like Oladipo that want to sit out should have that decision respected and, for me, part of doing that means acknowledging the relative lack of importance the title has.

I also do have concerns about us returning to sports, both the ethics of having players play during a pandemic, and the pressure this situation puts on them. Let's say, as a hypothetical, that Anthony Davis or Khris Middleton or Paul George really wasn't comfortable playing right now. The pressure on them to do it anyways is massive. I realize a lot of fans want some normalcy and outlet, but frankly I don't know that we should have it or deserve it. A big part of the issue here is that too many people aren't taking this seriously. And I also think sports coming back is one of those things that can potentially help Trump and a bunch of the non-mask wearing dipshits pretend that everything is fine in the lead into the election and help people forget the massive ###### our response has been. And #### Trump.
   736. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: July 31, 2020 at 12:05 PM (#5967130)
Let's say, as a hypothetical, that Anthony Davis or Khris Middleton or Paul George really wasn't comfortable playing right now. The pressure on them to do it anyways is massive
the NBA and its players deserve more credit for their empathy than this statement gives them.
   737. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: July 31, 2020 at 01:00 PM (#5967142)
I think players like Oladipo that want to sit out should have that decision respected
My understanding is that Oladipo's decision was respected and that he changed his mind when his workouts went better than expected. Other players have stayed home despite pressure to play: Avery Bradley, for instance, is a key role player on the team that has 2x the betting money on it to win the title as any other*.

* Relatedly, though with several caveats about how I haven't personally checked the lines or ever given a #### about sports betting, it might not a bad time to throw a couple bucks the Bucks' way in terms of expected value.
   738. tshipman Posted: July 31, 2020 at 01:31 PM (#5967151)
My understanding is that Oladipo's decision was respected and that he changed his mind when his workouts went better than expected. Other players have stayed home despite pressure to play: Avery Bradley, for instance, is a key role player on the team that has 2x the betting money on it to win the title as any other*.

Yeah, I think the NBA has generally been good on this issue.

* Relatedly, though with several caveats about how I haven't personally checked the lines or ever given a #### about sports betting, it might not a bad time to throw a couple bucks the Bucks' way in terms of expected value.

Yeah. I don't think the Lakers should be favored even heads-up with the Bucks, and when you consider how much easier the East is, it should be a no-brainer.

This line has the Bucks and Lakers as even favorites. The Clippers in particular seem overvalued.
   739. JJ1986 Posted: July 31, 2020 at 03:40 PM (#5967187)
Nets are getting killed when their best player - Tyler Johnson - is off the floor.
   740. Booey Posted: July 31, 2020 at 03:52 PM (#5967189)
#739 - I'm guessing they'll get killed when their best player is ON the floor, too.
   741. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: July 31, 2020 at 05:01 PM (#5967198)
when you consider how much easier the East is
Taking a glance at the league rankings by SRS (a decent catchall team quality stat, and one which factors in strength of schedule), this is probably an overstatement. Decent teams out East get to pad their records against bad teams more, but the really bad teams won't be in the playoffs. The top two seeds in the East will get a cupcake first round, though. Things settle to an even enough state from round 2 onwards that health and matchups will be more important than East or West IMO. FWIW, by this metric the top of the league shakes out as

MIL: 10.43
LAL: 7.75
LAC: 6.71
TOR: 5.87
DAL: 5.83
BOS: 5.68

Got to say I'm a little surprised Dallas ranks so highly.

No one else is higher than 4, though the West has 4 teams in the 2-4 SRS "strong noncontender" range to the East's 2.

Not suggesting we put that much stock in SRS as a predictor, of course, it's just the metric that came to mind as a reasonably objective measure that accounts for strength of schedule.
   742. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 31, 2020 at 07:12 PM (#5967221)
If this first quarter is any indication, the Bucks are bulletproof when Freak is on the floor.
   743. tshipman Posted: July 31, 2020 at 07:16 PM (#5967224)
Taking a glance at the league rankings by SRS (a decent catchall team quality stat, and one which factors in strength of schedule), this is probably an overstatement. Decent teams out East get to pad their records against bad teams more, but the really bad teams won't be in the playoffs.

Have you looked at who the 8 seed is in the East? It's going to be what's left of Brooklyn or the 24-40 Washington Wizards. The Bucks get a virtual bye in the first round.

Their second round series is going to be probably Miami or Indiana. Those teams have an SRS around 2.

Assuming the West seeding holds, the Lakers and Clippers have to face an actual good team in the second round, with teams like OKC, Utah or Houston, who all have an SRS between 2.78 and 3.77. The Clippers have to face a legit team in the first round, against Dallas.

The Bucks don't face a team of the same quality as Dallas until the conference finals. That's a huge advantage.
   744. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 12:16 AM (#5967278)
If this first quarter is any indication, the Bucks are bulletproof when Freak is on the floor.
that doesn't sound right; voters in the draft assured me that giannis was just a guy without brook lopez and ersan ilyasova.
   745. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: August 01, 2020 at 12:22 AM (#5967281)
The Celtics just didn't have Wilt to run out there.
   746. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 12:32 AM (#5967283)
The Celtics just didn't have Wilt to run out there.
enes kanter is pretty close, though.
   747. Booey Posted: August 01, 2020 at 02:11 AM (#5967290)
#744 - Well yes, but luckily for him, THIS version of Giannis HAS Brook Lopez and Ersan Ilyasova.
   748. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 08:23 AM (#5967296)
#744 - Well yes, but luckily for him, THIS version of Giannis HAS Brook Lopez and Ersan Ilyasova.
it's the only reason he's playable, really.
   749. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: August 01, 2020 at 11:50 AM (#5967325)
#748 - Being allowed 8 fouls helps too.
   750. jmurph Posted: August 01, 2020 at 01:53 PM (#5967356)
Apparently I’ll be muttering this to myself while they’re holding up the Larry OB, but every time I watch the Bucks I think that guy doesn’t worry me and that guy doesn’t worry me and that guy doesn’t worry me and on and on, and then the next thing I know they’re up 17-2 or whatever and winning comfortably.

I mean Giannis, obviously, greatly worries me. But it’s like I’ll never learn.
   751. puck Posted: August 01, 2020 at 03:36 PM (#5967389)
Bol Bol made an appearance.
   752. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 06:03 PM (#5967425)
my preferred seedings for the playoffs:

don't care, but i want sixers v. heat in the first round.
   753. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: August 01, 2020 at 06:13 PM (#5967428)
Apparently the Giannis getting 8 fouls in last night's game is a Celtics fan thing. I thought it was just here but then on Twitter could almost be trending.
   754. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 07:11 PM (#5967440)
myles turner with 7 fouls in the first 45 seconds.
   755. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5967441)
indiana may not be very good.
   756. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 07:16 PM (#5967443)
JAKARR SAMPSON!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH
   757. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 07:22 PM (#5967444)
indiana may not be very good.
...and the sixers are losing. by double digits.
   758. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 01, 2020 at 08:45 PM (#5967458)
tharris and horfard just missed 7 layups in a single possession.
   759. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: August 01, 2020 at 09:25 PM (#5967464)
TJ Warren having a moment
   760. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: August 01, 2020 at 09:34 PM (#5967466)
30 footer by Warren. HFS
   761. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: August 01, 2020 at 09:36 PM (#5967467)
Pacers win with Warren dropping 53(!!!) 9-12 on 3s
   762. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: August 01, 2020 at 11:09 PM (#5967479)
Pacers win with Warren dropping 53(!!!) 9-12 on 3s

wat
   763. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: August 02, 2020 at 12:32 AM (#5967484)
Kyle Lowry grabbing 14 rebounds against the Lakers can't be a good sign.
   764. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 02, 2020 at 04:48 AM (#5967490)
the sixers are a team full of 40-year old virgins.
   765. jmurph Posted: August 02, 2020 at 09:44 AM (#5967494)
Apparently the Giannis getting 8 fouls in last night's game is a Celtics fan thing. I thought it was just here but then on Twitter could almost be trending.

They definitely paused the game to concoct a reason to overturn his 6th foul in a way that left all three members of the broadcast team very confused. Which is funny, but it’s not like it decided the game, they were clearly going to win anyway.

Also the final call reversal was clearly correct, it was a foul on Smart.
   766. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 02, 2020 at 10:22 AM (#5967497)
when you think about it, tj warren is really just tobias harris, but paid about 150MM less. ####.

and better.
   767. tshipman Posted: August 02, 2020 at 03:36 PM (#5967545)
Tobias Harris is the breakout star of the Matisse Thybulle vlog, though.
   768. jmurph Posted: August 02, 2020 at 03:53 PM (#5967549)
Forget New Orleans, I hope the Blazers get into the playoffs. I think they could have been in the 5/6 range with reasonable health this year.

(Obviously I hope they lose today.)
   769. jmurph Posted: August 02, 2020 at 05:30 PM (#5967565)
The Celtics are absolutely bewildered at the most basic pick and roll sets here in the 2nd half.
   770. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 02, 2020 at 05:38 PM (#5967567)
The Celtics are absolutely bewildered at the most basic pick and roll sets here in the 2nd half.
trade machine: who says no?

BOS: al horford, tobias harris
PHI: jaylen smith, jaylen green; jaylen rose, jaylen grant, jaylen oshaughnessey
   771. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 02, 2020 at 07:31 PM (#5967584)
ThePhillyPod
Players that have scored their career high against the Sixers:

• Kemba Walker: 60 points
• Jimmy Butler: 53 points
• TJ Warren: 53 points
• Blake Griffin: 50 points
• DeMar DeRozan: 45 points
• Bobby Portis: 38 points
• Hassan Whiteside: 32 points
• Kevin Knox: 31 points
   772. jmurph Posted: August 03, 2020 at 09:12 AM (#5967620)
I weirdly think the Sixers will be fine. Granting that flipping the switch doesn't generally work, I think they'll get better. If they got Boston then Toronto I could easily see them advancing to the conference finals.
   773. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 09:48 AM (#5967623)
I weirdly think the Sixers will be fine. Granting that flipping the switch doesn't generally work, I think they'll get better. If they got Boston then Toronto I could easily see them advancing to the conference finals.

squeaking past mediocre overachievers is not good enough.
   774. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: August 03, 2020 at 10:09 AM (#5967625)
I do think it would be fun to have the same tournament, but with something like 1978-era rules. So, you can still take Steph Curry really high, but he's only going to give you long 2-pointers. Or some other way to reward post play and rebounding.

I wonder if that's possible in Strat-O-Matic Basketball. I've got the computer game but haven't played around much in it. Still I'd guess it's possible.
   775. jmurph Posted: August 03, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5967635)
squeaking past mediocre overachievers is not good enough.

I think beating two teams that are definitely better than the Sixers would indeed be pretty good for them.
   776. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: August 03, 2020 at 12:12 PM (#5967655)
I've been pretty pleased with the presentation of the games so far, now that we also have baseball and hockey to compare it too. It's probably the best it can be under the circumstances, and it clearly has been the best of the 3 so far (I've also watched European soccer across multiple countries, and baseball in Korea and Japan, and I'd still say the NBA is doing the best but I'm not as big of a fan of the other ones as I am of the American leagues).

As much as I hate the Rockets and Harden and watching them, I really enjoyed them steering completely into the skid last night by shooting a ridiculous number of 3s. The Bucks execution late wasn't great, but I still was impressed with the Rockets game plan. I still don't consider them a serious contender, but they'll make one of the LA teams really sweat.

Real bummer for Jonathan Isaacs to tear his ACL. Suffering a major injury in the bubble has to be extra devastating.

Let's say, as a hypothetical, that Anthony Davis or Khris Middleton or Paul George really wasn't comfortable playing right now. The pressure on them to do it anyways is massive

the NBA and its players deserve more credit for their empathy than this statement gives them.

I agree with both comments here. Kyrie may be a dangerous kook, but he took a lot of heat for even suggesting playing was a bad idea. I think the NBA has done a lot to make the players as comfortable as possible, but it isn't wrong to acknowledge the fact that the NBA has a much higher participation percentage (especially in the star class) than MLB or the NFL. Maybe that's just the bubble part of it (because the NHL is also really high there), though I bet the players were pushed really hard privately to play and just because the NBA did everything they could to accommodate them doesn't mean the pressure wasn't there.
   777. Howie Menckel Posted: August 03, 2020 at 01:48 PM (#5967681)
Billy Reinhardt
@BillyReinhardt
At full health, a likely 9-man Nets rotation would include:

Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Caris LeVert, Spencer Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, DeAndre Jordan, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, and Wilson Chandler.

They are all OUT against the Bucks tomorrow.
1:15 PM · Aug 3, 2020
   778. JJ1986 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 02:04 PM (#5967683)
Pedantry: I see no reason to assume that Chandler would play ahead of Garrett Temple
   779. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: August 03, 2020 at 04:39 PM (#5967716)
The NBA is the best run US major sports league. I am enjoying the bubble games.
   780. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 04:54 PM (#5967721)
larry bird does not have lips and he does not smile.
   781. tshipman Posted: August 03, 2020 at 06:10 PM (#5967741)
larry bird does not have lips and he does not smile.

Counterpoint.
   782. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 06:33 PM (#5967746)
Counterpoint.
isn't a counterpoint supposed to provide evidence opposing the assertion?
   783. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: August 03, 2020 at 06:42 PM (#5967748)
I wonder if that's possible in Strat-O-Matic Basketball.
Honestly, it would have been a blast to do this all with an objective (if flawed) mechanical judge like strat-o-matic. Would have kept people from getting upset at voters—if a partially aleatoric algorithm doesn't grasp the genius of your team construction, well, that's its fault, not yours—and also lowered the cat herding factor.

But I enjoyed the whole tourney, even the parts I didn't like. Some of which were my own fault, both as GM and programmer.

As an aside, if anyone wants to crowdsource any multiple choice questions from the thread in the near future, the software is pretty much in place. If not,I may export the voting data and shut down the database so I stop getting emails from $GIGANTIC_INTERNET_COMPANY about how my database has an insecure configuration.
   784. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: August 03, 2020 at 06:56 PM (#5967754)
isn't a counterpoint supposed to provide evidence opposing the assertion?
Tomayto, tomahto.
   785. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 06:57 PM (#5967755)
Honestly, it would have been a blast to do this all with an objective (if flawed) mechanical judge like strat-o-matic. Would have kept people from getting upset at voters—if a partially aleatoric algorithm doesn't grasp the genius of your team construction, well, that's its fault, not yours—and also lowered the cat herding factor.

But I enjoyed the whole tourney, even the parts I didn't like. Some of which were my own fault, both as GM and programmer.

As an aside, if anyone wants to crowdsource any multiple choice questions from the thread in the near future, the software is pretty much in place. If not,I may export the voting data and shut down the database so I stop getting emails from $GIGANTIC_INTERNET_COMPANY about how my database has an insecure configuration.
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, SANITIZE YOUR DAMN INPUTS. DON'T BE THE REASON MY REFRIGERATOR TURNS INTO SKYNET

also, something like this may have yielded a fairer and more varied format. bonus: the comments there are delicious.
   786. tshipman Posted: August 03, 2020 at 06:57 PM (#5967756)
I really just wanted an excuse to link that photo of Larry Bird and his twin.
   787. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 07:00 PM (#5967759)
The NBA is the best run US major sports league. I am enjoying the bubble games.
counterpoint:

you're completely right.
I really just wanted an excuse to link that photo of Larry Bird and his twin.
and of course, that picture is what prompted the original comment (stolen word for word from bomani jones).
   788. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: August 03, 2020 at 07:34 PM (#5967765)
Oh the inputs are sanitized; the problem is that any http request from anyone's refrigerator botnet could send an http request which would be blithely sanitized and recorded, and if it looked like a valid vote, it would show up in the results.
   789. . Posted: August 03, 2020 at 07:39 PM (#5967770)
This could be totally crazy, but I fear that part of the thought process of pairing the social justice slogan with the name is getting people used to seeing a cluttered back of the jersey so as to pave the way to put big ads on the back.
   790. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 08:26 PM (#5967780)
demar derozan:
3Ps made in the last 6 months: 0

3Ps made tonight, vs. the sixers: 1....so far.
   791. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 03, 2020 at 08:35 PM (#5967783)
legend.

ESPN @espn
Doris Burke's commentary is too good
@heydb

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1290444529229803522
   792. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: August 03, 2020 at 09:19 PM (#5967789)
I don’t understand these jazz uniforms
   793. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: August 04, 2020 at 09:06 AM (#5967836)
BTW, can we keep up the draft/voting/bracket pages for a while? I'm still doing my solo exercise and will need to copy them over at some point when I have time.
   794. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: August 04, 2020 at 10:16 AM (#5967845)
[793] No problem, I'm happy to keep the voting site up indefinitely.

[792] The orange gradient uniforms are meant to evoke grand western sunsets, no? Perhaps more importantly, at least to my subjective eye, is that they look extremely awesome.
   795. spivey Posted: August 04, 2020 at 11:39 AM (#5967849)
Utah jersey would be better if it was this.
   796. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: August 04, 2020 at 12:22 PM (#5967854)
This could be totally crazy, but I fear that part of the thought process of pairing the social justice slogan with the name is getting people used to seeing a cluttered back of the jersey so as to pave the way to put big ads on the back.

Two things
1. Those ads are inevitable, in every sport. The ads on the front, for the most part, haven't been *too* bad (some are, of course). In fact, I bet the longer leagues play without fans, the sooner we get them (supplemental revenue streams!).
2. I'll be honest, it took multiple games before I even noticed there were still names on the bottom for the guys with the slogans on top. I kept thinking it looked odd with only the slogans on top and names on the bottom. (Last night was the first time I actually noticed someone with both, I think it was Caruso).
3. Ha, though I think I like this response/comparison better, considering the smile.
   797. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: August 04, 2020 at 12:23 PM (#5967855)
[792] The orange gradient uniforms are meant to evoke grand western sunsets, no? Perhaps more importantly, at least to my subjective eye, is that they look extremely awesome.

Correct. I hated them the first time I saw pictures of them. However, I now love them when I see them in action. They are significantly better than any of the dumb purple regular jerseys they've had over the years.
   798. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 04, 2020 at 01:43 PM (#5967870)
Ryan McDonald @ryanwmcdonald
Definitely just sent a text to the family group chat in which "with" corrected to "Woj"
   799. tshipman Posted: August 04, 2020 at 05:20 PM (#5967894)
The Nets, with the top 8-9 players out, just beat the Bucks.

The Nets ended up shooting a mediocre percentage, but they did manage to get up 57 (!) 3pers. Just embracing the underdog strategy and taking what the Bucks give you.

This is basically why people are skeptical of the Bucks.
   800. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: August 04, 2020 at 06:05 PM (#5967896)
flip
Page 8 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogThom Brennaman resigns as Reds broadcaster
(23 - 5:30am, Sep 26)
Last: Jeff Francoeur's OPS

NewsblogYadier Molina collects career hit number 2,000 Thursday night
(12 - 5:05am, Sep 26)
Last: MuttsIdolCochrane

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9741 - 2:56am, Sep 26)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogWaPo: If baseball keeps these grotesque expanded playoffs, it will have lost its soul
(20 - 2:23am, Sep 26)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3017 - 1:47am, Sep 26)
Last: Der-K's emotional investment is way up

NewsblogDodgers' Mookie Betts unseats Yankees' Aaron Judge for MLB's top jersey
(10 - 1:29am, Sep 26)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogForget the court, pack OMNICHATTER! for September 25, 2020
(20 - 1:06am, Sep 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogTrevor Bauer Should Just Admit It
(14 - 11:23pm, Sep 25)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogLongtime Royals star Alex Gordon to retire
(25 - 9:27pm, Sep 25)
Last: Walt Davis

Sox TherapyParty Like It's 1975
(12 - 8:35pm, Sep 25)
Last: Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert