Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, February 29, 2020

OT Soccer Thread - Spring 2020

Other thread isn’t accepting comments so it’s time for a new thread!

Second Legs of the round of 16;

March 10;
Valencia-Atalanta (1-4)
Leipzig-Tottenham (1-0)

March 11;
PSG-Dortmund (1-2)
Liverpool-Atleti (0-1)

March 17;
ManCity-Real Madrid (2-1)
Juventus-Lyon (0-1)

March 18;
Bayern-Chelsea (3-0)
Barca-Napoli (1-1)

Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: February 29, 2020 at 07:40 PM | 808 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 > 
   601. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 01, 2020 at 02:18 PM (#5967363)
If Arsenal holds on to win, and Wolves win Europa (the latter being unlikely but certainly possible--currently around 10%), I think Tottenham doesn't make Europa at all.

edit: also, if Arsenal wins, Wolves could not be in Europa next year. It's the CL or bust.
   602. spivey Posted: August 01, 2020 at 02:25 PM (#5967366)
My understanding is Tottenham would make it, as Wolves qualify not through anything domestic but through Europa. But I think I've mainly just read conjecture. I don't know if UEFA has clarified.

Chelsea's missing a few of their best players - Willian, Pulisic, Kante. In fact, those are probably their 3 best players this year. But the squad they have out there right now has not been impressive
   603. spivey Posted: August 01, 2020 at 02:28 PM (#5967367)
I'm biased since I was rooting for Chelsea, but the officiating has heavily favored Arsenal.
   604. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 01, 2020 at 02:41 PM (#5967371)
In past years when a team won Europa to become the 5th team in the CL, they only put two teams in Europa? I could have sworn that was the case, but it seems this year Spurs are in and Wolves would be the 8th team.
   605. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 01, 2020 at 02:52 PM (#5967375)
The EPL had 5 teams in the 2017-2018 CL, because Manchester United won Europa despite finishing 6th. That year the EPL only had two teams in Europa: Arsenal (league 5th as well as FA Cup) and Everton (league 7th).

This year is slightly different, but only because the FA Cup winner also wasn't otherwise going to qualify.

That means, unless the rules have changed, 6th becomes an automatic Europa spot, even though technically under the Europa qualification rules it's a backup spot if the FA Cup winner and EFL cup winner have already qualified in another way.

That does not make much sense. Did they change the rules to allow an 8th team if the Europa league winner qualifies? Would Arsenal have made it in if they were 7th, lost the FA Cup to Chelsea, and Wolves in 8th place won Europa?

edit: should have said that I am also reading that the EPL could get 8 teams in this year, so not disputing that, just wondering how it is possible.
   606. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 01, 2020 at 03:03 PM (#5967382)
edit: If a team wins either the CL or the EL from outside a domestic league spot, it becomes an extra spot for that league in Europe. This is different from the case where a team in an EL spot wins the EL or CL. In the latter case there is no extra spot.

That means 9 teams could make it from the EPL into Europe in some year. It would be very unlikely but possible. It just takes a year where the CL and EL winners don't qualify domestically for either cup. For example:

6th place EPL team wins the Champions league
7th place EPL team wins Europa
8th place EPL team wins FA Cup
9th place EPL team wins EFL cup

Top 3 plus two Europe winners go to CL
4/5 + two domestic cup winners go to EL.

I have to say the rules are not that intuitive.
   607. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 05, 2020 at 07:57 AM (#5967956)
EPL starts September 12, and teams supposedly get a minimum of 30 days off.

Chelsea is basically out of the CL already, so that leaves ManU, City, and Wolves. ManU doesn't need Europa anymore and it would be wise for them to field a second team, especially for the first two games. If they advance to the semis (which they should anyway, even playing backups), they can think about going all out, but may not want to hold back even then.

It's more complicated for Wolves and City. Wolves could be one and done after tomorrow, but more likely they'll stick around for at least another round. It's worth it for them to go all out to win these four games and make the CL, no matter if it trying to win it is exhausting.

Same for City of course, except they are even more likely to win it all. Also, I won't shed any tears for City if they get tired, as they have the deepest squad in the EPL (and presumably can just buy a bunch more temporary depth now that FPP can't touch them).
   608. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 05, 2020 at 08:04 AM (#5967957)
Relegation odds have West Brom and Fulham as big favorites, followed by Villa, then Palace, then Newcastle and Burnley, then a group of West Ham, Sheffield U, Brighton, and Leeds, and finally Southampton. Any of those could be relegated: the only one really below 19/20% is Southampton, at about 12%.

None of the top 6 plus 3 are really at risk, but Everton is about 3% and Wolves and Leicester at 2% each.
   609. spivey Posted: August 05, 2020 at 08:55 AM (#5967960)
Fulham advanced on like a 40 yard free kick in extra time vs. Brentford down entirely due to the goalkeeper's positioning for the ball to be a cross. From a bit I read on reddit, it sounds like Fulham scouted the keeper doing this during the regular season, and I think even tried to score a goal against him doing this in the regular season as well. It's absolutely worth a watch if you haven't seen the play.
   610. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 05, 2020 at 09:15 AM (#5967965)
I honestly didn't think it was a goal when it first happened. It seemed impossible to me that it went in, I thought it had hit the wall behindthe goal and come back off the net. The keeper made a comical superman style dive well after the ball was behind him. It was the kind of play you'd expect a U-9 keeper to make, just trying to make it look good.
   611. spivey Posted: August 05, 2020 at 09:23 AM (#5967967)
The dive was kind of hilarious, but if the season is on the line, I'd rather you dive comically late than just stand there planted like you're Kepa.
   612. ckash Posted: August 05, 2020 at 09:56 AM (#5967974)
"Planted Like Kepa" will be my EPL fantasy team name for the new season. Thanks for the inspiration spivey!
   613. Mefisto Posted: August 05, 2020 at 10:32 AM (#5967981)
"Past a diving Kepa!"
   614. KronicFatigue Posted: August 05, 2020 at 01:30 PM (#5968007)
Kepa annoyed the heck out of me this season. I'm generally not into fake-effort shows like diving at unstoppable shots, but this guy did NOTHING all season. I can't imagine what a youtube highlights video would look like for him this season. Every keeper occasionally stops an "unstoppable" shot. It's usually mostly luck, but it happens. This Kepa guy, man, I can't think of a single shot that I thought was destined for goal only to be stopped.

Plus, I've always hated him since he refused to be subbed out during penalty kicks. Hate him. I want him gone, even at a substantial loss.

Off topic: Has any league ever had a rule that the guy fouled in the penalty box has to be the one to take the penalty kick? I think I would prefer that, just as a way to make penalty kicks less predictable. Also, b/c I want Pulisic to get some nice cheap goals.
   615. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 05, 2020 at 05:09 PM (#5968039)
I signed up for the free trial for cbsaccess. At least their pricing is more reasonable than bleacherreport online (they have some shows as well). They seem to be using the cbssports channel to show one champions league match per time slot. There are too many streaming services.
   616. KronicFatigue Posted: August 05, 2020 at 08:41 PM (#5968079)
FYI regarding All Access: They are constantly offering "we miss you" free months. My wife and I each have an account, and I think we've had it for the majority of 2020 and paid less than 10 bucks total.
   617. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 06, 2020 at 08:13 AM (#5968120)
Saturday is the day for the Champions League! Yeah, there are a couple of games on Friday but Saturday is the day that amuses me;

2019-20 Champions League
Chelsea-Bayern Munich
Barcelona-Napoli

AND

2020-21 Champions League
Tre Fiori-Linfield
Drita-Inter Club d'Escaldes

Two years of Champions League matches in one day!!!
   618. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 06, 2020 at 08:47 AM (#5968121)
Not a good day for CL hopefuls yesterday in Europa, with Wolfsburg and Getafe both losing. (But Copenhagen is still alive!)

Up today are Roma, Frankfurt and of course Wolves (and Basel, if you want to count them).

Since Frankfurt is almost out, and Leverkusen almost in the next round, realistically we will have 1-3 teams in the final 8 who have a real chance of sneaking into the CL via Europa.
   619. Mefisto Posted: August 06, 2020 at 09:48 AM (#5968130)
I guess City signed Nathan Ake.
   620. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 06, 2020 at 01:54 PM (#5968172)
If Sevilla and Leverkusen can hold on to their two-goal leads, the top 4 leagues will have a rep in the Europa semis.

Roma going out would leave just Wolves and Leverkusen as CL hopefuls. Wolves still have to beat Olympiacos of course.
   621. Mefisto Posted: August 06, 2020 at 04:37 PM (#5968197)
Hojbjerg to Spurs. An actual good signing for the team. If one assumes Ndombele isn't going to play.
   622. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 07, 2020 at 03:31 PM (#5968323)
Juve in deep trouble! And Real Madrid about to go out too. It's a happy day.

edit: oops, I missed the Real Madrid goal. so it's much tighter now.
   623. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: August 07, 2020 at 04:03 PM (#5968334)
Why do teams dick around in the back against a pressing team like Real did on that first goal? Does that ever lead to something useful?
   624. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: August 07, 2020 at 04:31 PM (#5968343)
Raphael Varane is not going to look back fondly on this game.
   625. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 07, 2020 at 05:32 PM (#5968356)
I had work calls in the end all through both games, so watched little in the end. Very happy about the results though.

Juve dominated the game and the tie, but still lost. Now City has Lyon, and while no team that gets this far is a bad team, and these are now single elimination, City should be able to handle Lyon without too much effort.
   626. spivey Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:06 PM (#5968481)
Juve's xG margin was larger than the penalty, but that penalty they got was ####### bullshit.

As for the City/Real match, it was a good one. On a knife's edge up until City's second goal. Neither team looked super comfortable on the ball. I think Real should have probably played Valverde for Modric and focused on pressing, booting the ball up the field and trying to win the second balls. But Zidane is a better manager than me. It's not like it's easy to just put together a gameplan to beat City.

Jesus was really good, and I suspect he needed to have a really big match like this for Pep to trust him to be the #1 going into next season (or the season after).

Beyond that, Kyle Walker was ####### amazing. Tottenham would have looked a lot better with him the last few years. Walker was all over the place. Absolutely pocketed Hazard and anyone trying to come down the left flank, while also tucking in to provide RCB aerial support especially once Real started just hoofing it up rather than trying to play through City's press. I also saw him kind of in that DM role to break up play if the attackers lose the ball, the old Fernandinho role (Rodri is pretty good, but isn't rangy enough to do this). All in all, one of the best defensive performances I've seen from a RB in a long time.

Benzema is really, really good.
   627. spivey Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:11 PM (#5968483)
Re: 623, 624

It's hard. If you don't try to play out against City at least occasionally, you can end up in a scenario where they have 75+% possession which is hard to concede in a match you know you need to score at least 2 goals. If you break the press, I think City are pretty vulnerable because they don't have a lot of pace down the left or with Gundo and Rodri. It also seemed like Real fielded a team to be more possession focused. I'm not sure that was the right decision. It seemed likely to me like City was going to try to go for one of the most pressing/midfield overload teams he could manage here.
   628. spivey Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:16 PM (#5968484)
Oh, last thought. Casemeiro. I've long thought him a top 5 DM in the world, and quite possibly the best. He was awful. Gave the ball away in a couple of risky spots with bad passing, and really seemed to struggle to get in challenges against City's front 5. Has me reconsidering how good he is. Everyone's allowed a bad game every once in a while, though.
   629. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:17 PM (#5968485)
IMO Bayern is the best team left. City have to be close to the favorite, especially with them drawing Lyon.
   630. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:22 PM (#5968487)
By betting odds City has been the favorite all along, even without considering the draw, with Bayern probably second. I think Bayern has closed the gap a bit in the last few months, but City would still be favored over them at the moment.
   631. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:28 PM (#5968490)
Messi just scored a vintage Messi goal.

I can see why City is betting favorite, but their defense is still shaky. Also they didn't look great yesterday. They only scored with two gifts yesterday and as spivey mentioned Casemeiro looked terrible while Kroos and Modric didn't really do anything yesterday (granted City does cause a lot of that).
   632. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:33 PM (#5968491)
That Messi goal was just outrageous. There is no other word for it.

Well this tie is over.
   633. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:34 PM (#5968492)
Well these games were over quickly. To be fair, the Bayern game was over before it started. Messi's first goal was highlight reel stuff, but the second one wasn't too shabby either.

edit: they will overturn that one--hit his hand after his chest, probably inadvertent and may not have changed anything really but potentially did help him control the ball.
   634. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:35 PM (#5968493)
Or not. God I hate VAR. I’m selfishly glad it’s not a goal because I want an interesting game but gimme a break.
   635. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:41 PM (#5968495)
Sarri sacked, Pirlo hired. I don't see him lasting more than two seasons, which might be above average for a Juve manager now.

Alphonso Davies is really fast. I know it's said a lot, but he is really fast.

I'm happy with CBS Sports so far. We will see how they do it for the group stages, but the AllAccess does seem a reasonable value as opposed to the two previous rights holders. They are keeping it simple, and not trying to inject American-ness into a Euro-centric competition.
   636. strong silence Posted: August 08, 2020 at 03:55 PM (#5968499)
God I hate VAR.

I like getting the right call. The results have a much better chance of being fair. The game is better now.
   637. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 08, 2020 at 04:14 PM (#5968504)
Is it? They missed a "worse" foul on the first Barca goal, where the defender was shoved back out of the way (edit: not actually in the back), but called the tickytack touch by Messi.
   638. strong silence Posted: August 08, 2020 at 04:40 PM (#5968508)
Is it? Generally, yes. There will be exceptions but there are more correct calls now. It's a better game.

Imagine Maradonas Hand of God goal. No one would have had a problem if it took 10 minutes to get that right. VAR will get better once bias is removed* and it is sped up. It will get better.

I thought the shove was an obvious foul (because the defender has a right to the space he stands in.)

*Video refs should not know the names of on field refs to prevent biases from acquaintance and reputation.
   639. strong silence Posted: August 08, 2020 at 04:43 PM (#5968509)
Any de Jong fans here? Has he met expectations? Is his upside quality Xavi or Iniesta level?
   640. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 08, 2020 at 04:52 PM (#5968512)
I agree there are more correct calls than before, bit it's only incrementally closer to the ideal. And that has to be weighed against the disruption in the game, including the introduction of new types of fouls that can't easily be ignored when you have replay, but probably should be (like Messi's second goal). On balance I prefer no replay.
   641. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 08, 2020 at 05:02 PM (#5968514)
Imagine Maradonas Hand of God goal. No one would have had a problem if it took 10 minutes to get that right.

I can only speak for myself but I have no interest in waiting several minutes to get a call right. If you can’t overturn it virtually immediately then the call should stand.

VAR will get better once bias is removed* and it is sped up. It will get better.

I don’t know what makes you think bias will be removed and the system will be sped up. Even if you use a ref from Argentina to VAR a game in England presumably they are going to know who Mike Dean or Martin Atkinson is. Similarly, while I agree it would be better if it was sped up I see no reason to expect that to happen.

I have said that replay in all sports needs a 30 second clock. If they want to do that I’m on board. That way you are fixing the ridiculous stuff but not wasting our time with Messi’s “handball” or the player taking his foot off the base for half a second.

Oh hey cool, they are completely ignoring the rule about not exchanging jerseys.
   642. strong silence Posted: August 08, 2020 at 05:08 PM (#5968515)
Its ridiculous to get close calls right. Ok.
   643. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 08, 2020 at 05:10 PM (#5968516)
Barca looked pretty bad today, actually. Maybe that's because they had the lead, but aside from Messi's brilliance(s) and a goal that probably should have been ruled out, they really didn't do anything. 538 xG was 0.45 to 1.55 in favor of Napoli, with a penalty each way.
   644. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 08, 2020 at 05:15 PM (#5968518)
642 - That’s not what I said, read it again. What I said is I want to see them get the ridiculously bad calls right (which should be close to instant) and if the other stuff can’t be overturned immediately or close to it then as a fan I’d rather the game continue.
   645. spivey Posted: August 08, 2020 at 05:21 PM (#5968520)
Yes, I think Barcelona could get put to the sword by Bayern. But it's just one match, they have Messi, and Lewandowski doesn't have the best scoring record late in the CL. Chelsea kind of limped to the finish as well, this isn't a top team that Bayern just handled.

I think the best team that Bayern has played since the restart was a big match against Dortmund. That was a while ago, but it was very even. Of course, also probably a spot where Bayern were "ok" with a draw, since it mostly would ice the league.
   646. jmurph Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:35 AM (#5968763)
Have not been paying attention and did not realize until just now catching up on the thread that they're just playing single matches going forward.

That has to increase the odds of upsets, not the other way around, right?
   647. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:53 AM (#5968766)
646 - I would think so. Turning these ties into single legged affairs has to be a benefit to the lesser team.

Two Atletico players tested positive. Angel Correa and Sime Vrsaljko are both out (though Vrsaljko is injured and wouldn't have played anyway). Apparently the rest of the team has tested negative and is cleared to fly to Lisbon.
   648. spivey Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:56 AM (#5968768)
For sure. I look forward to City getting knocked out by Lyon 1-0 while winning xG 3.3-0.4.

Sounds like Atletico have at least a couple of positive COVID players, and they'll have to play without them this week.

649. jmurph Posted: August 10, 2020 at 11:25 AM (#5968776)
For sure. I look forward to City getting knocked out by Lyon 1-0 while winning xG 3.3-0.4.

100% on the table.
   650. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM (#5968780)
Definitely. Favorites want to minimize the effect of randomness, so would always want more time to be able to express their superiority over their opponents.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the home and home setup, including the away goals rule, tends to level this out a little bit--it's probably less advantageous to the favorite than playing 180 minutes at a neutral site.

City is still 86% to win the tie, but maybe it would have been as high as 90% if it were home/home.

CL odds this round:
City              86
Bayern            61
PSG               61
Atleti            56

EL odds this round:
United            89
Shakhtar          67
Inter             61
Sevilla           60

Three La Liga teams play this week, and only Barcelona is not favored.
   651. spivey Posted: August 10, 2020 at 12:15 PM (#5968787)
City/Bayern would be so much fun. City only know how to be City, and Bayern I think would try to out-City them.
   652. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 10, 2020 at 04:47 PM (#5968886)
United did not take my advice, and started a very strong team. Hasn't helped them, as the game is about to go to extra time at 0-0. United has been the better team, true, but there have been a number of chances the other way as well. Minor miracle that the game is still scoreless.
   653. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 10, 2020 at 05:07 PM (#5968890)
United saved by the penalty again. To be fair, they are pretty good at drawing them, and they finally have the right penalty taker.
   654. Mefisto Posted: August 10, 2020 at 06:03 PM (#5968900)
I didn't see the game, but the stats sheet says that United's keeper made 0 saves while COP's made 13.
   655. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 10, 2020 at 06:40 PM (#5968912)
I didn't see the game, but the stats sheet says that United's keeper made 0 saves while COP's made 13.
Heh, yeah. No shots on goal doesn't really tell the story for Copenhagen though, as they had a few good chances and a couple very good ones. But United had many excellent chances, as well as some low xG shots that just missed.

United did everything you'd want them to do going forward except get a goal from open play, though they had to grow into the game a bit. They did look shaky at the back on more than one occasion though, and had to make some last ditch defending on plays, at least one or two of which were right in front of goal and didn't result in a shot for Copenhagen.
   656. Mefisto Posted: August 10, 2020 at 06:52 PM (#5968915)
They did look shaky at the back on more than one occasion though, and had to make some last ditch defending on plays, at least one or two of which were right in front of goal and didn't result in a shot for Copenhagen.

That would be typical for a game with Bailly as one of the CBs.
   657. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 11, 2020 at 05:24 PM (#5969112)
Sevilla was the better team today, and Wolves went out deservedly. Things maybe could have been different if the penalty Traore earned had been converted.

Brutal round for CL hopefuls. 0-4. All remaining teams have already qualified (Shakhtar maybe through a qualifying round. Not sure.)
   658. spivey Posted: August 11, 2020 at 08:56 PM (#5969139)
The EL semi-finals look pretty evenly matched. Should be pretty interesting games.
   659. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 11, 2020 at 10:04 PM (#5969152)
Manchester United is, for the first time, not the favorite in the tournament, because they have the harder opponent in Sevilla. United is given just a tad less chance than Inter: 35/33/22/9.

For the semis, the odds aren't particularly close for the Inter game:

Inter 70%
United 55%

United would be a small favorite against Inter, and Inter would be a small favorite against Sevilla.

660. Mefisto Posted: August 11, 2020 at 10:23 PM (#5969159)
The obvious solution is to have United play Shaktar and Inter play Sevilla. :)
   661. frannyzoo Posted: August 12, 2020 at 02:17 PM (#5969282)
Hard to see a way through for Atalanta today. Papu Gomez is tremendous but without the physical counterpoint and skill of Ilicic, Papu will get fouled 47 times and pestered without sufficient distraction (Ilicic). I also see both Muriel and Malinovsky are coming off the bench today, as per normal. I don't know if today is normal.
   662. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2020 at 02:59 PM (#5969289)
PSG has only played two French Cup matches since shutdown. I think they'll pull through.
   663. frannyzoo Posted: August 12, 2020 at 03:05 PM (#5969290)
On the other hand, if Zapata is willing to play Advanced Midfielder to Papu's target man, I'm all over that.
   664. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2020 at 03:09 PM (#5969292)
Neymar needs to bury that. Rust?
   665. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 12, 2020 at 03:17 PM (#5969294)
First 15 minutes and other than that Neymar chance (and yeah, wow) Atalanta have been better. PSG are the better side but PSG+Champions League=disappointment.
   666. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2020 at 03:21 PM (#5969296)
Wow Atalanta's defenders are slow. Another great attack by PSG ruined by a poor final touch.

PSG needs to stop giving away free kicks.
   667. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 12, 2020 at 03:44 PM (#5969299)
Neymar understand the big net thing is what he is aiming for right?
   668. frannyzoo Posted: August 12, 2020 at 03:46 PM (#5969301)
Regarding Atalanta defensive pace, you don't play a bunch of 5-3 games just through relentless attacking. And Neymar is quick..not as quick as the young guy who is most likely gonna start the 2nd Half for PSG. I foresee horrible, horrible things for Bergamo at that point.
   669. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2020 at 04:30 PM (#5969303)
Bad luck having to sub your keeper. Navas has kept them in the game.

Edit: or not. The assistant in charge of the subs board is having a bad game.0
   670. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 12, 2020 at 04:52 PM (#5969306)
Wow.
   671. frannyzoo Posted: August 12, 2020 at 04:54 PM (#5969308)
Oh well. Rooting for underdogs is both a curse and another curse. ####.
   672. spivey Posted: August 12, 2020 at 04:59 PM (#5969311)
Wild game. And Muriel really butchered that last opportunity. I'm interested to see if he'd have been called offside by VAR, but you have to get some shot off there, and ideally a pretty high xG one.
   673. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 12, 2020 at 05:00 PM (#5969312)
Atalanta was close, but the team they put out today was not near good enough to win the CL. If that's all they were going to be able to produce the next two games, almost better to be rid of them now. Not actually better of course, because #### PSG.

674. spivey Posted: August 12, 2020 at 05:03 PM (#5969313)
I mean, not many teams can handle Mbappe and Neymar running at you over and over, but PSG earned that.
   675. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 12, 2020 at 05:08 PM (#5969314)
infogol had it as 0.45-3.14; 538 had it as 0.5-2.9. So, yeah.
   676. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2020 at 02:51 PM (#5969444)
CBS All Access again, eh? Makes sense, you hate to preempt something called Tiki and Tierney on the CBS Sports Network.

You think I'd get used to it by now, but it remains surprising how much contempt American television networks have for soccer and its fans. I honestly don't know why they buy the rights.

(I'm aware there is a 1 month free offer, but if this is the plan going forward, that doesn't really help.)
   677. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2020 at 02:52 PM (#5969445)
Fox, despite its embarrassing approach to the actual game and studio shows, at least made the games available across their many networks, particularly late round ones.
   678. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 13, 2020 at 03:09 PM (#5969450)
it remains surprising how much contempt American television networks have for soccer and its fans.

I don't think this is unique to soccer. I think it's an issue for networks irrespective of the sport. That's my biggest issue with ESPN and Fox, both seem to go out of their way to go for the LCD rather than the best broadcast they can. I think NBC is the opposite of this, both their soccer and hockey coverage are in my opinion top notch. That's not to say there aren't complaints to be had but overall I think the try to give the best coverage they can.

I'm a bit sympathetic to CBS here. Without knowing the business end of it at all I wonder if there are contractual reasons that the online option was the only one. The coverage itself seemed good yesterday (and for 7 minutes today as well).
   679. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 13, 2020 at 03:48 PM (#5969455)
Yea, TNT didn't even want the last bits of Champions League and Europa League, so CBS kind of just took it. Hopefully the latter rounds will be mostly on TV next season. At least the Spanish language channels don't disappoint.

Leipzig is much more into this than I thought they would be. Of course that is Atletico just lulling them to sleep.
   680. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 13, 2020 at 04:51 PM (#5969469)
More than into it! The American!!!!
   681. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 13, 2020 at 05:09 PM (#5969471)
Fairly even game, but Leipzig got the lucky bounce at the end. Absolutely gorgeous pass to open that one up though, and that pass alone deserved a goal. Nothing wrong with the assist either.

One each of the top 5 leagues are now in the european semis, with Shakhtar the 6th team.

If Barca can't upset Bayern, it will be the first time no Spanish teams made the CL semis since 2005-2006. Also, the only other time in the CL era that two German teams have been to the CL semis was when Bayern beat Dortmund in the 2012-2013 final. A win by Bayern would put Germany right on Spain's tail for points in Europe this year. The last time Germany finished ahead of Spain was 2012-2013.
   682. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2020 at 09:02 AM (#5969573)
If Barca can't upset Bayern

I realize essentially no German fans would agree with this, but god it would be delightful if Leipzig are in the semis and Bayern aren't.

(Also, selfishly, I think City stand a better chance against Barcelona than Bayern.)
   683. Fancy Pants Handle struck out swinging Posted: August 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM (#5969584)
I realize essentially no German fans would agree with this, but god it would be delightful if Leipzig are in the semis and Bayern aren't.

I think you would be surprised how many German fans hate Bayern. Sure, patriotism is going to win out for a lot of Germans, but not all of them by a long shot.

Of course, Leipzig is also extremely hated. So who knows how that balances out.
   684. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:30 PM (#5969643)
Defense optional in this match. Tuned in late and missed three goals.
   685. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:38 PM (#5969645)
Bayern hasn't exactly been squeaky clean at the back, but Barca is a sieve. They can't deal with Bayern at all.
   686. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:39 PM (#5969646)
Barcelona had some chances to go up 2-1, couldn't convert them, and now they look like they're two men down. This is a beating.
   687. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:39 PM (#5969647)
Holy crap, tuned in late and missed FIVE goals.
   688. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:45 PM (#5969648)
Bayern are quicker. Much quicker. Lengelet has had a bad first half. Also Bayern have more energy. Their high press is effective.

Also that AR raised his flag too late. You don't wait until the man actually touches the ball to raise the flag.
   689. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:49 PM (#5969649)
Jmurph.
It sounds like you don't like Bayern. Is that right?

690. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:55 PM (#5969650)
Did Lewandoski figure in any of the goals? Yes, the assist on the first one.

Could this be the end for Piquet and Busquets? I was surprised that Busquets got the start.

Bayern's high back line will be ripped apart by City.
   691. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 03:58 PM (#5969651)
On each occasion, the winner of the tie went on to lift the trophy. On each occasion, there has been plenty of goals, On each occasion, one of the giants of European football has skulked away with a big, red, embarrassed face, tail between the legs. Most neutrals would take more of the same for tonight’s quarter-final showdown, I’ll be bound. This is a summit meeting between the only two previous winners left in the draw. It’s a one-off tie. It could go to extra time. It could even go to penalties. It’ll almost certainly cause one of football’s behemoths a whole world of pain. It’s on!

The Guardian report is spot on so far.
   692. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:15 PM (#5969653)
4-2!

Boateng nearly tripped Suarez. Lucky he avoided a 2nd yellow
   693. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:21 PM (#5969654)
Hell of a run by Davies.
   694. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:26 PM (#5969658)
Bayern have more desire. That last goal was just a matter of getting to the spot first and Kimmich beat DeJong by a step. It's been happening all game.
   695. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:37 PM (#5969659)
So;

PSG-Leipzig
Bayern-City (probably)

That's not exactly a foursome that gets the neutrals heart racing.
   696. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:43 PM (#5969660)
This is ridiculous. So many players running free so many times. There's no amount of luck that could overcome the difference in the way these teams played on this day--something that you really can't say often in soccer. They could replay it 1000 times and if each team brought the same approximate game, Bayern would win all 1000 of them.
   697. strong silence Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:46 PM (#5969661)
In a Super League of the ten best teams in Europe, Barcelona might finish last.
   698. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:49 PM (#5969662)
Surprised Barca allowed Coutinho to play against them. Wow - Barca needs a clear out (not just based on this game).
   699. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:56 PM (#5969664)
MCoA had it as 5.1-0.9. Infogol had it as 5.36-1.02. 538 had it as 5.6-1.2.
   700. frannyzoo Posted: August 14, 2020 at 04:58 PM (#5969665)
Late to this party, but

I think you would be surprised how many German fans hate Bayern. Sure, patriotism is going to win out for a lot of Germans, but not all of them by a long shot.

As a guy told me in his B&B along the Elbe a few years ago: "Bayern is Bayern and Germany is Germany." Perhaps the best sports analogy is Cowboys fans/not fans, but there's also, uh, you know Hitler being from the South/Bayern and all, too.

As for today, the ending was truly funereal for some of us. Leo has been the best player of my/our generation. Barca will never put it back together within his professional "life time." It/he is over. What a great ####### run.
Page 7 of 9 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogThom Brennaman resigns as Reds broadcaster
(23 - 5:30am, Sep 26)
Last: Jeff Francoeur's OPS

NewsblogYadier Molina collects career hit number 2,000 Thursday night
(12 - 5:05am, Sep 26)
Last: MuttsIdolCochrane

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9741 - 2:56am, Sep 26)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogWaPo: If baseball keeps these grotesque expanded playoffs, it will have lost its soul
(20 - 2:23am, Sep 26)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3017 - 1:47am, Sep 26)
Last: Der-K's emotional investment is way up

NewsblogDodgers' Mookie Betts unseats Yankees' Aaron Judge for MLB's top jersey
(10 - 1:29am, Sep 26)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogForget the court, pack OMNICHATTER! for September 25, 2020
(20 - 1:06am, Sep 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogTrevor Bauer Should Just Admit It
(14 - 11:23pm, Sep 25)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogLongtime Royals star Alex Gordon to retire
(25 - 9:27pm, Sep 25)
Last: Walt Davis

Sox TherapyParty Like It's 1975
(12 - 8:35pm, Sep 25)
Last: Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert