Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, June 07, 2019

OT Soccer Thread - Baldrick Reports Live

Sum-sum-summertime thread.

June 7 (that’s today!) - Women’s World Cup.  BTF correspondent Baldrick is on the scene (link takes you to his preview of the tournament)
June 14 - Copa America begins (no Neymar)
June 15 - Gold Cup begins
June 18 - US first Gold Cup game
June 21 - Africa Cup of Nations begins
July 7 - Women’s World Cup Final/Copa America Final/Gold Cup Final - Can we get some discussion about the ridiculousness of the WWC being just one of a series of finals on the same day? Of note is that the Copa America final is the exact same time as the WWC final. 
July 19 - Africa Cup of Nations final

Jose Goes to Absurd Lengths for 50K Posted: June 07, 2019 at 12:22 PM | 1414 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 14 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 > 
   1301. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 28, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5865734)
And so, it has finally happened in my FM 2014 campaign ... the USMNT has somehow made a World Cup Final ... in 2066.

They'll play Argentina, who beat England 4-2 in the semis, the same England team that demolished the US 4-1 in the Group Stage.

On any given Sunday, right?
   1302. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 28, 2019 at 02:01 PM (#5865736)
Well, I'll be buggered:

Scotland 2-1
New Zealand 3-1
England 1-4

Poland 4-1

Germany 1-0

Austria 1-0

Argentina 1-0

Meet your 2066 World Cup Champions ... the USMNT (ranked 21st going into the tournament, by far the lowest ranking to win the WC so far)!
   1303. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 28, 2019 at 02:11 PM (#5865738)
It is "reporting" from The Fail, but still, LOL

18.34 BST: The Mail reports that Paulo Dybala has little interest in joining Manchester United amid the Red Devils' proposal to send Romelu Lukaku in exchange for the Argentina international, so the Premier League outfit have turned their interest in Douglas Costa -- except that he's not keen to move to Old Trafford either.

-ESPNFC
   1304. spivey Posted: July 28, 2019 at 03:10 PM (#5865746)
Juve don't even want Lukaku, right? This seems like a bunch of posturing to try to tell Inter to hurry up and sell them Icardi.

Douglas Costa seems like a bad person, but I think he could be due for a "re-breakout". His first year with Bayern he was absolutely unplayable, he was the best player on Bayern for stretches that season.
   1305. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 28, 2019 at 03:22 PM (#5865749)
And so, it has finally happened in my FM 2014 campaign ... the USMNT has somehow made a World Cup Final ... in 2066.

Just last week in my FM18 game, the U.S. ran all the way to the World Cup Final in 2022. Lost 2-0 to England.

I reported this bug to the devs but haven't heard back yet.
   1306. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 28, 2019 at 04:49 PM (#5865767)
Which bug, England winning or the US making the final?

Chicago looks great this first half. Ertz has been notable in defense and breaking up Seattle attacks.
   1307. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: July 28, 2019 at 05:15 PM (#5865770)
2066... the USMNT (ranked 21st going into the tournament)

The USMNT was 20th in ELO as recently as 2017 (currently 34th), SO I guess we can look forward to 50 more years of treading water.
   1308. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 28, 2019 at 05:27 PM (#5865774)
Which bug, England winning or the US making the final?

Yes.
   1309. aberg Posted: July 28, 2019 at 09:18 PM (#5865852)
How do you get to international stuff in FM? I've only ever noticed club matches.
   1310. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 28, 2019 at 09:36 PM (#5865857)
Subscribing to a nation or competition is one way of doing it ...
   1311. jmurph Posted: July 29, 2019 at 01:42 PM (#5866064)
So ridiculous/delightful that the Community Shield is already this Sunday, and the Premier League kicks off the following Friday.
   1312. Mefisto Posted: July 29, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5866065)
Reports now that James will be staying at Real, along with Bale. Bodes well for Spurs fans -- hard to see Real paying for Eriksen under those circumstances.
   1313. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 29, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5866067)
I read that once Madrid's president read what Bale was going to make in China, he got pissed and asked for a transfer fee which scuttled the deal.
   1314. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 02:03 PM (#5866072)
[1313] If true, that sums up Real's problems in a nutshell.
   1315. Topher Posted: July 29, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5866074)
Bodes well for Spurs fans -- hard to see Real paying for Eriksen under those circumstances.

Does it? I definitely don't want to put words in the mouths of Spurs fans. But I would think that, for better or worse, when Eriksen said he wanted a new challenge, you should try to facilitate that if you are Spurs. This is pure speculation on my part, but I would guess that Eriksen is more likely to let his contract run out than he is to agree to an extension.

On top of that, while I think I'd be surprised if Eriksen ended up being too bad an apple if he had to stay, I would think that his announcing his desire to leave would have some negative effects on the squad -- I'm not saying it's that big a deal, but I can't see how announcing you want to leave and then having to stay would be a good thing.

You Spurs fans would definitely know better than me if it would be likely for Eriksen to change course and agree to a contract extension. If that's a possibility, it is good news that Madrid is less likely to go after him. But from the outside looking in, I think I'd be much more nervous for him leaving at the end of this season without any compensation at all.

ETA: Also, is this an issue with Eriksen? Or was this unfounded? A quick google search doesn't seem like the word "chronic" has been used lately.
   1316. spivey Posted: July 29, 2019 at 02:15 PM (#5866077)
I thought Eriksen said something along the lines of not leaving on a free. Either way, Real Madrid seem to be playing coy. Priority 1, 2, and 3 seems to be Pogba.

I think Tottenham should and would let Eriksen leave for Real if a fair offer was made. It hasn't been made, and I'm not sure that's just posturing. It's really unclear to me that Real value getting Eriksen as more than a bargain buy.

Does seem like there's a whole lot left to sort in the next 2 weeks for Tottenham.
   1317. Mefisto Posted: July 29, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5866079)
Hard to see Real paying for Pogba if James and Bale both stay. I can't figure Real these days, but I'm happy to have them tank.
   1318. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: July 29, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5866090)
I really don't care much for transfer news, and I'm mostly indifferent towards Bale, but I was pleasantly surprised when something inside me smiled when I found out Bale wasn't going to China after all. As someone recently said, going to China on a large contract is a bit like falling off the face of the earth, and that's a little sad for us as fans when it's someone as good as Bale still is. But mostly I think I was just happy that Real is still stuck with the bill.
   1319. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 04:44 PM (#5866118)
Does it? I definitely don't want to put words in the mouths of Spurs fans. But I would think that, for better or worse, when Eriksen said he wanted a new challenge, you should try to facilitate that if you are Spurs. This is pure speculation on my part, but I would guess that Eriksen is more likely to let his contract run out than he is to agree to an extension.

On top of that, while I think I'd be surprised if Eriksen ended up being too bad an apple if he had to stay, I would think that his announcing his desire to leave would have some negative effects on the squad -- I'm not saying it's that big a deal, but I can't see how announcing you want to leave and then having to stay would be a good thing.

You Spurs fans would definitely know better than me if it would be likely for Eriksen to change course and agree to a contract extension. If that's a possibility, it is good news that Madrid is less likely to go after him. But from the outside looking in, I think I'd be much more nervous for him leaving at the end of this season without any compensation at all.

Sure, I think Spurs and Spurs fans would rather get something for Eriksen this window than lose him for nothing next Summer, but it's hard to sell a player when nobody is bidding ...
   1320. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 29, 2019 at 06:38 PM (#5866165)
I thought Eriksen said something along the lines of not leaving on a free. Either way, Real Madrid seem to be playing coy. Priority 1, 2, and 3 seems to be Pogba.

Paul Pogba? Or, like, is there a different Pogba out there I haven't heard of? Real is so weird.
   1321. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 08:31 PM (#5866189)

Paul Pogba? Or, like, is there a different Pogba out there I haven't heard of?

Funny you should ask ... yes, yes there is: Mathias, Paul's older brother.

Who just got his own transfer, to a 3rd division Spanish side, CF Manchego, who just happened to be located in ... Madrid!
   1322. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 08:42 PM (#5866191)
So, Danny Rose is included in the Spurs roster for the upcoming Audi Cup matches, not sure what that bodes for his future with the club.

Like Toby, I'm surprised a team hasn't come in for him at the purported asking price ...
   1323. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:48 PM (#5866209)
On twitter there was a "who should be favored" in the ManU at Wolves game in week two. Most people said Wolves, but betting odds think ManU are very significant favorites. (45% to 27%)

I think if any of the top 6 is in danger, it has to be Arsenal. Betting odds agree.
   1324. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 11:42 PM (#5866218)
Blech. Just BLECH:

Gareth Bale sees no way out of Real Madrid after the collapse of his move to China, with the forward concluding that Florentino Pérez, the president, could not care less that manager Zinedine Zidane does not want to play him.

Bale had appeared to be closing on a move to Jiangsu Suning, yet three days before the Chinese Super League’s transfer window closes on Wednesday, Pérez decided against the move and Bale believes it is dead. This has left the player at odds with Pérez and is understood to have no interest in a move to another club in Europe, permanently or on loan.

The 30-year-old faces a bleak future at Real and believes he has little prospect of being selected, given Zidane’s recent pronouncements that he wants the Welshman to leave.

Graun
   1325. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:09 AM (#5866232)
Bale's move is definitely dead and the Chinese team has now signed another foreign player so they are maxed. A very bizarre situation. What kind of manager can't make use of Gareth Bale?

Considering their constraints, Arsenal are having a pretty good window. They are only paying 20 million up front for Pepe so they have managed to strengthen the team while not going over their 40 million pound budget. Conversely, I'm nearing panic about Spurs window. I have no idea who's playing LB next week. Davies had a surgical procedure a couple of weeks ago and Rose is on his way out. Georgiou is not PL quality and I don't want Vertonghen having to play on the left. I'm ok with KWP/Foyth at RB even if that's not ideal, either. I have no idea why Sessegnon and Lo Celso haven't been completed but I've seen this story too many times to be optimistic about it this close to the deadline. The Dybala thing is the usual ridiculousness. We get linked to an impossible player like that every window. The only small chance I can see it happening is a swap with Eriksen and Rose going the other way and those kind of swaps are nearly impossible to pull off.
   1326. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:32 AM (#5866238)
The faffing about at fullback is maddening.

3 years ago Spurs had arguably the best fullback combination in the PL with Rose and Walker and now there's a possibility, if not likelihood, that they start the season with a crocked Davies on the left and some combination of Derp Aurier, KWP and Foyth on the right?

It's just ludicrous; I guess the best thing to hope for is that no one actually stumps up for Rose and saves management from itself ...
   1327. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 30, 2019 at 09:28 AM (#5866257)
Ultimately Tottenham will basically stand pat after a rumor-saturated summer, like Tottenham always does. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
   1328. Mefisto Posted: July 30, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5866263)
Everton making plenty of moves. Some of them unfortunate (losing Gueye), others probably good (signing Moise Kean). Be interesting to see where it all ends up.
   1329. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5866275)
Ultimately Tottenham will basically stand pat after a rumor-saturated summer, like Tottenham always does. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Well, to be fair, Ndombele has signed and is ready to go next week and he fills the squad's most pressing need. Or, he filled the most pressing need until the club created pressing needs at the fullback positions. Still, there's a lot of work to be done and Levy's style of negotiating means there's probably not enough time to do it. The bald man giveth and the bald man taketh away...
   1330. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5866279)
The bald man giveth and the bald man taketh away...

Levy's gonna Levy ...

Sigh.
   1331. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 10:34 AM (#5866284)
ESPNFC ranks PL managers.

Top 5:

Pep Guardiola
Jurgen Klopp
Mauricio Pochettino
Unai Emery
Manuel Pelligrini
   1332. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:02 AM (#5866293)
That's probably the most boring ranking imaginable. I think Pelligrini might be getting short shrift there, though. He has a mighty impressive CV.
   1333. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:04 AM (#5866296)
I feel like Everton's going to get one, maybe two good years out of Kean and then make a huge profit selling him up to a megabastard. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a really good move for them and a kind of puzzling one for Juve.
   1334. jmurph Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:06 AM (#5866297)
Ranking managers just seems like an impossible task in high level football (specifically I mean, in comparison to other sports). The talent disparity is just enormous from 1-20- guys like Eddie Howe and Nuno Espirito Santo seem to have pretty good cases in my book.
   1335. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5866308)
Plus there's the fact that managing the kind of players you get at Wolves or Leicester requires a quite different skill set from managing the kind of players you get at Manchester City or Chelsea. That's probably also true of dealing with the owners/boards at different clubs and at different levels.
   1336. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5866310)
Chelsea have banned for life a fan they concluded had racially abused Raheem Sterling at Stamford Bridge last season and excluded five supporters for between one and two years over incidents at the same match.

Sterling was abused when he retrieved a ball in front of the Matthew Harding stand during Manchester City’s game at Chelsea last December.

Chelsea said they had concluded their investigation and issued the bans after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided not to initiate criminal prosecutions, and that video evidence and lip-reading experts had been used.

“One individual has been permanently excluded from Stamford Bridge for the use of racially abusive language and threatening and aggressive behaviour,” the club said. “Prior to making its decision, the club noted the decision of the CPS not to charge this individual with a criminal offence. While the club respects the decision of the CPS, the question that it had to determine was not whether a criminal offence had been committed, but rather whether the individual acted in breach of the ticketing terms and conditions.

“In this regard, the club operates to the civil standard of proof, which is entirely different to the criminal standard. In reaching its decision, the club took into account the denial made by the individual as well as a range of other evidence, including video evidence and evidence from two lip reading experts – both of whom advised that the individual had used words that are racially abusive.”

Chelsea said the five temporary bans had been issued “for the use of abusive language and threatening and aggressive behaviour”. The club added: “Individuals receiving the shorter exclusion did so on the basis that they have provided undertakings about their future behaviour.”

In the case of the fan banned for life, Chelsea concluded: “Given the particular circumstances of this case, the Club did not consider that attendance at an education course in return for a reduced sanction would have been appropriate.”

Graun

How big of a racist shithead do you have to be that the club that you have season tickets to takes a look at the evidence, your behavior and you ... and decides, "well, we could ban him for a couple of years in the belief that, with some help, he could grow as a human and put this behind him, but no, he's really THAT BIG OF A RACIST SHITHEAD and he's beyond hope"?
   1337. Jose Goes to Absurd Lengths for 50K Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5866318)
How big of a racist shithead do you have to be that the club that you have season tickets to takes a look at the evidence, your behavior and you ... and decides, "well, we could ban him for a couple of years in the belief that, with some help, he could grow as a human and put this behind him, but no, he's really THAT BIG OF A RACIST SHITHEAD and he's beyond hope"?

I suspect that from Chelsea’s standpoint it’s actually a lot easier to just ban the shithead permanently. One customer is a non-issue financially for them and it allows them to say “see, we are taking a hard line.”
   1338. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:45 AM (#5866320)
Chelsea are going to run out of fans...
   1339. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5866328)
I suspect that from Chelsea’s standpoint it’s actually a lot easier to just ban the shithead permanently. One customer is a non-issue financially for them and it allows them to say “see, we are taking a hard line.”

Sure, but I was just curious as to where the line of demarcation was drawn and what that might be. I mean what's the difference between "you said racist, shithead things, so we're going to ban you for a couple of years and you said racist, shithead things and may god have mercy on your soul"?

I mean, I'm sure in the extremes it's obvious, I'm just wondering about the details in this instance ...
   1340. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5866332)
Speaking of running out of fans ...

The game between Juventus and a South Korean K-League All Star team last Friday in Seoul ended in a 3-3 draw but the winners may be lawyers as thousands of Korean fans are calling for their money back after Cristiano Ronaldo sat on the bench for the entire game – in breach, organisers claim, of contract.

When local politicians are using a club’s Asian tour as another example of their country being disrespected on the global stage then it is safe to say it did not go well. Juventus spent only around nine hours in Seoul but the damage done to their reputation will last much longer.

It ends an interesting summer for European teams in Asia. Manchester United fans booed Ashley Young in Singapore and Manchester City found their China trip overshadowed by a blistering attack made on their perceived attitude to local fans and media by the state-run outlet Xinhua News Agency. The article talked of “utter disrespect shown by Manchester City to their hosts during their tour of China … their appearance in China was nothing more than a commercial obligation and their lack of enthusiasm and the indifferent treatment of their hosts stands in stark contrast to representatives of other clubs”.

Juventus survived their Chinese trip intact and Ronaldo played 90 minutes against Internazionale in Nanjing last Wednesday. A delayed flight meant the team arrived in South Korea five hours before the game. Grumbles over a cancelled signing session with fans and a delayed kick-off of almost one hour could probably have been assuaged by a Ronaldo dribble, free-kick and iconic goal celebration or two, but more than 60,000 fans who paid between £20 to £280 for tickets had to wait for what they thought would be a second-half appearance – after all, there were widespread media reports that it had been promised to the K-League and the organisers, The Fasta, that Ronaldo would play at least 45 minutes.

Ronaldo stayed on the bench and fans started to leave before the final whistle when it became clear the former Real Madrid forward would not play. It is safe to say Juventus did not envisage their Asian tour ending with chants of “Messi, Messi” ringing around the stadium. Maurizio Sarri said Ronaldo had muscle fatigue. Local reporters have pointed to the fact that Ronaldo – nominally a substitute – kept his earrings on as evidence he never intended to leave the bench. The player’s refusal to talk to media after the game and his social media post of the next day in which he was on the treadmill saying it was good to be home did not help.

Graun
   1341. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 12:03 PM (#5866336)
It is safe to say Juventus did not envisage their Asian tour ending with chants of “Messi, Messi” ringing around the stadium.

Heh. That's good bantz.
   1342. Jose Goes to Absurd Lengths for 50K Posted: July 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5866355)
Sure, but I was just curious as to where the line of demarcation was drawn and what that might be. I mean what's the difference between "you said racist, shithead things, so we're going to ban you for a couple of years and you said racist, shithead things and may god have mercy on your soul"?

I mean, I'm sure in the extremes it's obvious, I'm just wondering about the details in this instance ...

I expect it’s more about the combination of publicity and general ############# of the person in question. I am willing to bet this guy wasn’t the most racist person ever at Stamford Bridge but;

- Raheem Sterling is a popular English player
- Everyone knows about it
- The fan in question fits a variety of preconceptions about people who engage in this behavior (Note: this last one is pure conjecture on my part)

I suspect had this guy abused Winston Reid it likely would have resulted in a lesser punishment.
   1343. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM (#5866367)
I wonder if the guy they banned said anything as bad as John Terry said to Anton Ferdinand?
   1344. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:00 PM (#5866377)
LOL, Marcelo gift wrapping that ball for 'Arry Kane.
   1345. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:19 PM (#5866394)
I do not understand why Juventus want Lukaku. I guess Sarri looks at him as someone who can do the Higuain role but then why not just keep Higuain who's already on the books?
   1346. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5866397)
Very weird to see Hazard in Real's shirt.
   1347. jmurph Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5866403)
Sky Sports News @SkySportsNews
BREAKING NEWS: Paulo Dybala’s agent is in London for talks with Manchester United, with Romelu Lukaku moving to Juventus.

Just to add the detail to Shooty's #1345.

Juventus are making a lot of weird decisions over the past year. I'm not sure what was wrong with their previous strategy of just dominating Serie A, making reasonably deep runs in the Champions League and hoping for the CL title one of these years.

Also I was hoping Lukaku would go to Inter, so this is disappointing.
   1348. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5866413)
I'm relieved Kyle Walker-Peters looks competent today. Unfortunately, Georgiou is still out of his depth to my eyes.
   1349. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5866424)
Well, considering he's naturally a ML, he ain't been *that* bad (though that's not reassuring, I agree) ...
   1350. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5866430)
Man, Troy Parrot. I haven't been this impressed with a Spurs prospect since Harry Kane.
   1351. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5866436)
Suck it Real Madrid! No Audi Cup for you. Now hopefully Bayern win so mighty Spurs get another marquee friendly. No offense to Fenerbahce, of course.
   1352. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5866442)
#### every fan in that stadium that whistled Tanganga after he took that shot to his face from about 3 yards away and went down like he'd been poleaxed.

########.
   1353. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 02:09 PM (#5866459)
########.

Bayern fans, yo. You expect an ounce of human emotion?
   1354. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5866460)
Touche ...
   1355. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 30, 2019 at 02:21 PM (#5866484)
Jill Ellis out! Man, there are a lot of legitimate problems with her as a coach, but damned if she didn't win back to back World Cups.
   1356. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5866490)
Jill Ellis out! Man, there are a lot of legitimate problems with her as a coach, but damned if she didn't win back to back World Cups.

Like I said during the WC, I think this makes sense. I think you need to shake things up every now and then to keep things from stagnating. Obviously she should be proud of her accomplishments and I'm sure another big job will come her way.
   1357. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 02:30 PM (#5866502)
The articles all say she's "stepping down" but her contract expires tomorrow and I'm sure this was more a case of the USSF deciding not to renew it.

edit: Also, who's next for the job? I say Bielsa!
   1358. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 03:12 PM (#5866542)
Looks like it will be Spurs v Bayern tomorrow for all the Audi Cup glory.
   1359. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5866545)
Juventus, Man U, Real, Bayern and Inter is a pretty prestigious preseason. To put it in perspective, in 2008, Tottenham's pre-season friendlies were against Hercules, Denia, Norwich City, Feyenoord, Celtic and Dortmund.
   1360. manchestermets Posted: July 30, 2019 at 05:11 PM (#5866584)
Those Korean "fans" are idiots. You buy a ticket to see the teams play, not to see any particular player. Barry Bonds sat on the bench when I saw the Brewers host the Giants in 2003, should I have sued?
   1361. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 30, 2019 at 05:18 PM (#5866588)
Lukaku can still run. Higuain can't.

Now the Bruno Fernandes rumors have come back around. I think after Madrid's terrible performances so far they'll spend the crazy money on Pogba.
   1362. Mefisto Posted: July 30, 2019 at 05:54 PM (#5866595)
United remain clueless about what their problems are and how to fix them.
   1363. Fourth True Outcome Posted: July 30, 2019 at 06:09 PM (#5866599)
With Ellis stepping down (hooray!) I am also curious who will replace her (and who will step in as team GM. I could see Laura Harvey getting it, if they want to draw from NWSL ranks. (There were rumors when she stepped down as Seattle coach that it was to take a role within USSF, though that fell apart.) I imagine whoever it is will be chosen as much for internal-to-USSF political reasons as for coaching skill, so who knows.
   1364. Mefisto Posted: July 30, 2019 at 06:19 PM (#5866603)
I imagine whoever it is will be chosen as much for internal-to-USSF political reasons as for coaching skill, so who knows.

Agreed.
   1365. Fourth True Outcome Posted: July 30, 2019 at 06:45 PM (#5866610)
Ah, I missed a closing parenthesis. I meant for the GM comment and the Harvey one to be separate; I believe they have a GM as good as hired, and that person will have the authority to hire the next coach. All we know about the GM so far is that Ellis has said it won't be her.
   1366. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 30, 2019 at 06:54 PM (#5866613)
Someone on twitter mentioned Sarina Weigman, the Dutch skipper, who seems like she'd be a brilliant pick if she could be convinced to take the job. I don't see why she would, though, she's only a year away from a strong medal challenge with her native team.
   1367. Jose Goes to Absurd Lengths for 50K Posted: July 30, 2019 at 07:21 PM (#5866616)
Those Korean "fans" are idiots. You buy a ticket to see the teams play, not to see any particular player. Barry Bonds sat on the bench when I saw the Brewers host the Giants in 2003, should I have sued?

Obviously those fans are morons for trying to sue but I don’t think buying tickets to see a particular player is that unusual. As an example I have a ticket to see the Angels play the Red Sox next week and you can bet my desire to see Mike Trout is why I chose that game when I bought tickets at the start of the year. I’ll be fine if he doesn’t play and enjoy myself plenty but I think buying tickets in hopes of seeing a superstar is a pretty common thing.
   1368. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: July 30, 2019 at 07:54 PM (#5866622)
Someone on twitter mentioned Sarina Weigman, the Dutch skipper, who seems like she'd be a brilliant pick if she could be convinced to take the job. I don't see why she would, though, she's only a year away from a strong medal challenge with her native team.

To hire someone like Wiegman it would seem necessary to offer a significant increase in salary... which seems hard to do with pending litigation over compensation with the players.
   1369. Baldrick Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:08 PM (#5866628)

Extremely disliked by Dutch fans in all the same ways that Ellis was disliked by US fans FWIW. I don't think all that highly of her, especially given her utter unwillingness to recognize (or take the responsibility of doing anything about) several key players that have tailed off enormously and/or were hurt.

I've got no inside information, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was a 'big name' coach from an international program. Seems far more likely to be someone already close to US Soccer or otherwise employed in the US (NWSL coach or maybe a college coach).
   1370. spivey Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5866636)
I'm also getting to the point where I'm worried as a Tottenham fan. I mean, if Toby/Rose/Eriksen all stay, we can probably live without Lo Celso but man it'd be really nice to get him. If we lose one of those 3 and don't get in another big player, it's a very bittersweet window.

As for Juve, I've been pretty skeptical of many of their moves since and including Higuain. I think Demiral will be incredible, based on a single match I watched of him play against Atalanta and he was just brilliant. Of course he's probably going to be absolutely buried this year in the rotation. The Lukaku thing is weird to me, though let's be real, he's way better than Higuain. Part of me wonders if they know Inter want him and are trying to press them to sell him Icardi, or if they'd then look to do an Icardi/Lukaku swap. I dunno. I feel like there might be more to that transfer.
   1371. Topher Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:39 PM (#5866643)
Seems far more likely to be someone already close to US Soccer or otherwise employed in the US (NWSL coach or maybe a college coach).

This is my completely uninformed take as well.

That said, a Google search for "Jay Berhalter wife" doesn't produce results. So maybe it's possible that the US Soccer would look beyond its borders.
   1372. Topher Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:48 PM (#5866645)
As for Juve, I've been pretty skeptical of many of their moves since and including Higuain.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person that posts here that defended the Higuain signing. The way I saw it, Juventus had a very old core that was rapidly approaching the finish line. While the price for Higuain was an overpay, Juventus had the money to do it. Since there did not appear to be a superior option available for transfer, it was worth making the overpay in order to do their darnedest to win a Champions League before their aging backline and midfield required an upheaval.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Ronaldo signing because it seemed like the window of their aging core had likely passed and it was a huge gamble that it hadn't. But in that narrow window of winning a Champions League, I suppose you could argue for it.

In the meanwhile Juventus has done a fairly decent job of getting younger considering where they started from. And I have zero clue what they would do with a guy like Lukaku. I'd be shocked if there ended up being a transfer. They don't need a talent like Lukaku to win Serie A and he doesn't move the needle in winning a European trophy.
   1373. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:52 PM (#5866646)
Yeah, this is going to end well

Mauricio Pochettino said Tottenham should change his job title to coach because he has no influence over transfers after Harry Kane’s winner gave his side a 1-0 Audi Cup win over Real Madrid.

Spurs broke their transfer record to sign Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon for an initial £55m earlier this month, but Pochettino said he is in the dark about any more signings. The manager, who swerved questions regarding the future of Danny Rose, said: “I am not in charge and I know nothing about the situation of my players. I am only coaching them and trying to get the best from them. Sell, buy players, sign contract, not sign contract – I think it is not in my hands, it’s in the club’s hands and [chairman] Daniel Levy. The club need to change my title and description. Of course I am the boss deciding the strategic play, but in another area I don’t know. Today, I feel like I am the coach.”

Sigh
   1374. Fourth True Outcome Posted: July 31, 2019 at 02:50 AM (#5866723)
Jill Ellis is apparently staying on through October, which is a nice timeline for an NWSL coach to gracefully exit their team after the season. If they do hire an NWSL coach, I'd prefer Laura Harvey over Vlatko and Paul Riley for tactical reasons, and Mark Parsons because although I think he'd do well I'd prefer he say the Thorns' head coach. (Those seem like the obvious candidates, unless you really like Rory Dames, who I think is fine.)
   1375. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 31, 2019 at 05:55 AM (#5866728)
Honestly, it’s a miracle Pochettino has stuck around as long as he has already.
   1376. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 31, 2019 at 07:01 AM (#5866729)
I think Spurs have gotten very lucky with Pochettino, given how much Levy has hamstrung him with transfers.

There are only a handful of clubs that would be a logical step up for him and almost all of them are bad fits or off the table, for one reason or another.

Barcelona, Real, Bayern, United, Liverpool, City, PSG ... Juve, Athletico?

Athletico? Well, I think they're actually the best fit for Poch in BBVA, they're a no bullshit, run until you drop side under Simeone, so I don't think there'd much trouble in a transition, but there's the problem, Simeone's there and will be until he decides otherwise.

Barcelona? I think this is a pretty good fit, only problem is, Poch won't go there because of his history with Espanyol.

Bayern? A sleeper in the future, I think, they're actively looking to get younger and I think that works in Poch's favor.

Juventus? Another potential sleeper, depends on how much Pochettino would want to uproot and move to Italy and learn the systems and realities there.

Liverpool? A good fit, except for a giant, Klopp-sized obstacle.

Manchester City? Probably the best PL fit for Poch. Yes, Pep is there, but for how long? If I'm Poch, my long game is to end up at City once Pep moves on ...

Manchester United? Not terrible. I think OGS has started a necessary rebuilding by targeting youth and potential; it remains to be seen whether he will succeed enough to see the plan to fruition. If not, it probably wouldn't be a bad situation to walk into.

PSG? Obviously holds a place in Poch's heart, but Ligue 1 is a cakewalk and the roster (Galacticos jr.) and management expectations just seems like headaches.

Real Madrid? Obviously a headturner for Poch, but also, clearly, a madhouse of egos and competing interests. I just find it a terrible fit for his philosophies, both on the pitch and off and I think Poch is aware of that ...

It will be interesting to see how the remainder of this transfer window plays out; Poch has obviously earned the right for substantial backing, but, as was seen with Newcastle and Benitez, things don't always work out the way they should ...

1377. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 31, 2019 at 07:47 AM (#5866730)
Real Madrid would just be about the same situation Poch is in now, just with a higher salary and some trophies.

Well, and some superstar egos to manage. But he’ll find that at any megabastard club. There is one major advantage over his rivals that Poch has always enjoyed at Tottenham and won’t have anywhere else: Harry Kane.
   1378. J. Sosa Posted: July 31, 2019 at 08:53 AM (#5866736)
Klopp seems intent on sticking to his originally planned exit date. There were no altruistic motives on my part for wanting Poch to get what he wanted this window, I need him to stay away from the Manchester clubs for a couple of seasons...

Liverpool fans are dumb. It is pretty commonly understood that Klopp will be gone soon, but the names fans throw out there are ridiculous, and many of them hate the idea of Poch. Which is really dumb. I would be shocked if Poch isn’t the guy ownership has in mind.

It is really going to suck when Klopp goes. There has been a coach here and there I have liked as much as Klopp as a person, but no other coach/manager in any sport has ever come close in their field to how closely Klopp’s style matches everything I believe in and enjoy about soccer.

I have admired Poch for many years. I remember years ago talking about what a good hire it was for Spurs. I do not understand why Levy doesn’t value Poch more. He would be terrifying at United.
   1379. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 31, 2019 at 08:53 AM (#5866737)
The teams I follow the most closely now are the Warriors and Tottenham and it's striking how similar Kane and Curry are. Both are unexpected superstars, both are dedicated team players, both are probably the hardest working players on the team and make life easy for the coach, they're both pretty boring off the field/court which is either a feature or a bug depending on your pov and the rise of each has coincided with the best stretch of years for either team since I've been following them. It's going to be a bummer when they aren't around anymore. At least Troy Parrott will keep us from having to sign striker after striker until we find one that doesn't suck.

On Poch being grumpy...we go through this every window. Seriously, every one. A week before the window ends Poch has a long whinge about transfers. You guys focus on the negatives but the positives for him is he has job security, Levy doesn't sell players he doesn't want to lose, he's one of the highest paid managers in the world working in arguably the best footballing facilities in the world and his son just signed a pro contract with the team. He's going to leave eventually--everything in soccer ends--but it's not like he's at Newcastle.
   1380. J. Sosa Posted: July 31, 2019 at 09:02 AM (#5866741)
I don’t think he would go somewhere like Chelsea or Madrid. I think I would probably agree that City after Pep leaves would be the most likely destination, maybe as soon as next year.

As for Kane, a definite plus for me. I loved Duncan and players of that ilk.
   1381. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 31, 2019 at 09:15 AM (#5866746)
City is a possibility. I think Bayern or one of the big Italian clubs are possibilities. I'd put my money on a team from the continent but City seem the most likely domestically. Then again, I think they're grooming Arteta for that job so who knows?
   1382. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 09:52 AM (#5866764)
The teams I follow the most closely now are the Warriors and Tottenham and it's striking how similar Kane and Curry are.

Yeah this feels like a pretty big reach. Harry Kane seems to care much more about Harry Kane's goals than Curry does about Curry's points.
   1383. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 09:56 AM (#5866766)
Klopp seems intent on sticking to his originally planned exit date. There were no altruistic motives on my part for wanting Poch to get what he wanted this window, I need him to stay away from the Manchester clubs for a couple of seasons...

Is the idea two more seasons for Klopp? Pep is under contract for two more, but I don't think it would surprise anyone if this year was it.

As the exercise in 1376 demonstrates, there really aren't many (maybe any?) better jobs in the world at the moment than City and Liverpool. I know both guys seem to feel the same way about staying in one place too long, but anywhere they go is going to be a step down (unless Pep goes back to Barcelona at some point).
   1384. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:01 AM (#5866771)
Yeah this feels like a pretty big reach. Harry Kane seems to care much more about Harry Kane's goals than Curry does about Curry's points.

You don't like Spurs and Harry Kane in particular. I get it! I'm thick, but it has registered. It really has.

Oh, the other thing Kane and Curry have in common is their ############# ankles. Separated at birth, those two. Hell, Kane even chews on a phantom mouth guard...
   1385. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:04 AM (#5866775)
I know both guys seem to feel the same way about staying in one place too long

Challenge trade! Pep goes to Liverpool, Klopp to City!
   1386. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:13 AM (#5866788)
You don't like Spurs and Harry Kane in particular. I get it! I'm thick, but it has registered. It really has.

Conceded, but let me know the next time Curry tries to claim his teammate's points on twitter!
   1387. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:16 AM (#5866794)
Ha!
Barcelona are "concerned" over the sale of Philippe Coutinho after the club have not received any offers for the player, sources have told ESPN FC.
   1388. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:17 AM (#5866797)

I don’t think he would go somewhere like Chelsea or Madrid.

Poch at Chelsea would be a terror, I think (all of those young players to mold into the quasi-maniacal cult of MoPo?), but I also think Chelsea is out for the reason Barcelona is out. It's not that money isn't an issue at all to him, but Poch also, clearly, operates on some different principles beyond that (seriously, he keeps a bowl of lemons on his desk to absorb bad energies, he's an odd duck) and loyalty is one. Chelsea as a rival to Spurs makes that one a non-starter, I believe, regardless of the fit otherwise (which is why I didn't even include them) ...
   1389. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:18 AM (#5866798)
Man, if I lived in Liverpool as long as Klopp has, the only place I’d want my next job to be is someplace like Paris or Milan or ####### Monaco.
   1390. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:20 AM (#5866802)
I apologize that the analogy is not 100% accurate. Truly Harry Kane is a monster.
   1391. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5866805)
Yes shooty, that is definitely the case I am making.
   1392. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:23 AM (#5866807)
   1393. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:24 AM (#5866808)
(seriously, he keeps a bowl of lemons on his desk to absorb bad energies, he's an odd duck)

His weirdness is underrated in the general soccer media, I think. He's kind of loony about a lot of things. Hopefully he doesn't go full Raymond Domenech.
   1394. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:28 AM (#5866812)
PSG seems like a job for managers who are well past their prime, not relatively young guys like Klopp and Poch and Pep.
   1395. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:36 AM (#5866823)
Andre Schurrle is headed to Spartak Moscow. Man, his career has really tanked.
   1396. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5866829)
Loan with an option to buy supposedly. For ... €8m.

No kidding.
   1397. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:41 AM (#5866831)
11.21 BST: The Evening Standard reports that Danny Drinkwater looks set to stay at Chelsea this season.

Drinkwater's £35m move from Leicester in 2017 has to go down as one of the worst ever as he's barely played for the Blues -- making just one sub appearance last season in the Community Shield.

New Chelsea manager Frank Lampard reportedly told the midfielder he wasn't needed next year but now it seems as if he might stay to provide backup for Jorginho, Mateo Kovacic and N'Golo Kante,

LOL, just LOL.
   1398. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:43 AM (#5866833)
LOL, just LOL.

Got to solidify that english spine with the great Ross Barkley.
   1399. J. Sosa Posted: July 31, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5866844)
Re: Klopp

It is possible he stays until the end of the contract. Part of it is how the partial season is interpreted. He came back earlier than he wanted. I would say at most three more years. Two is probably more likely.

Re: Liverpool

Never been there but probably not my cup of tea. I suppose it can surprise though, Benitez has managed a number of places generally perceived as nicer but his family chose to stay on the Wirral. Most people seem to think Klopp’s last stop will be die Mannschaft.

Re: Lemons

Hadn’t heard that one, hey whatever works.

Re: Drinkwater

I suppose it is inevitable he will end up at Sunderland at some point.
   1400. The_Ex Posted: July 31, 2019 at 11:01 AM (#5866847)
Drinkwater is home grown so he is basically filling a regulatory need at this point.
Page 14 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.