Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Padres lock up Fernando Tatis Jr. to record contract

The Padres hope to never have to see Fernando Tatis Jr. play a game in another uniform.

The team and it’s wonderkid shortstop took a giant step toward that aim on Wednesday by agreeing to terms on a 14-year contract, according to multiple sources.

The deal is worth $340 million and is the longest in MLB history.

Tatis, who turned 22 on Jan. 2 and has two years of service, has yet to play the equivalent of a full season. But he finished fourth in National League MVP voting in 2020 after batting .277 with a .937 OPS (on-base-plus slugging percentage).

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: February 17, 2021 at 08:51 PM | 111 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: fernando tatis, jr., padres

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 22, 2021 at 03:09 PM (#6006241)
I'm pretty sure you aren't going to want your favorite team paying Tatis 36 million a year.
That’s not the deal. The average annual value of the Tatis contract is $24.285M. Getting all of Tatis’ prime at that price isn’t a bad deal for the Padres. Whether they can trade the back end of the deal is a different question, which will be dependent on performance & the financial climate 4 or 5 years down the road.
   102. McCoy Posted: February 22, 2021 at 03:50 PM (#6006250)
Again, I'm pretty sure nobody is going to want their team to pay him that much when the time comes.

Nobody is going to care that you paid him 1 million in 2021. You don't win ballgames by having a lower AAV than what you are currently paying a player.
   103. The Yankee Clapper Posted: February 22, 2021 at 04:55 PM (#6006260)
Don’t think you’re being consistent here, McCoy. First you say the backloading definitely means Tatis won’t be a Padre at the end of his contract (#97), and now insist no one will pay to acquire the back end of that contract. I don’t think either statement is necessarily true. If Tatis is what many think, paying the full contract isn’t a bad deal for the Padres. If the Padres want to trade Tatis before paying out all the high-priced years, they should be able to do so. Giancarlo Stanton was traded under somewhat similar circumstances not that long ago, and Tatis will be younger when he starts to be expensive. Sure, it’s likely the Padres would have to contribute some money in such a deal, but that doesn’t make the overall contract a bad deal. You win games by having elite players like Tatis.
   104. Stevey Posted: February 22, 2021 at 05:33 PM (#6006264)
Re 90. And I'm not sure how many times I have to tell you that the contract gets more expensive because you are no longer paying a player for his cheap years.

You'll notice that Dave and I were discussing a 12 year deal starting in two years that might cost more than the 14 year deal starting today. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this isn't all that difficult, and yet you feel the need to argue that I'm not the one understanding the example I put forward. You don't even know what you're arguing against at this point, so sit this round out champ.
   105. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: February 22, 2021 at 05:51 PM (#6006266)
You don't win ballgames by having a lower AAV than what you are currently paying a player.

Luxury tax is based on AAV. And that actually makes this contract make more sense for the Padres- They know they aren't going to reach the luxury tax right now, so upfronting the cap hit doesn't hurt and this lowers the cap hit that they'll have once he reaches what would have been his free agent years. They probably won't be close to the thresh hold then either, but you never know what finances will look like in five years, so why not lock in the lower AAV?
   106. bunyon Posted: February 22, 2021 at 05:55 PM (#6006267)
If Tatis is worth the back end of the contract, I suspect he'll want out of San Diego more than the reverse if they're not near the tax threshold.

Then again, San Diego is awfully nice.
   107. McCoy Posted: February 22, 2021 at 07:29 PM (#6006279)
The Padres will be paying someone else to play him.
   108. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: February 22, 2021 at 07:44 PM (#6006281)

yes, we understand. You may have mentioned this a few times already.

The issue is that in 7 or so years, how many of us will actually be here to tell you that you might be wrong!
   109. Adam Starblind Posted: February 22, 2021 at 08:46 PM (#6006289)
I can’t believe this 1998-lookin site is still here right now.
   110. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: February 23, 2021 at 01:40 PM (#6006388)

If so, then this contract means that when they trade it, the receiving team will have a lower cap hit on the deal than if they waited and didn't have the pre-arb and arb years averaged into the contract. That makes the contract more tradeable to teams that may be concerned about the cap. Remember when the Yankees got a negative cap hit from Vernon Wells because the Angels covered most of his salary that year and covered more than the average of the contract. Another example was with the Dodgers and Homer Bailey (whom they immediately released, but still wanted in the deal because the Reds sending Bailey plus most of his salary both saved the Reds money and saved the Dodgers cap space).
   111. McCoy Posted: February 23, 2021 at 03:01 PM (#6006404)
Hooray for Padres fans?
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Backlasher
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(913 - 5:32pm, Mar 08)
Last: Richard

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(1938 - 5:30pm, Mar 08)
Last: tshipman

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers' Trevor Bauer pitches shutout inning vs. San Diego Padres with one eye closed
(23 - 5:15pm, Mar 08)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogAlbert Pujols could keep playing to reach 700 career homers: 'If I’m close to it, why not?'
(166 - 5:14pm, Mar 08)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogMLB suspends free agent Sam Dyson for entire 2021 season
(13 - 5:07pm, Mar 08)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12245 - 4:09pm, Mar 08)
Last: .

Sox TherapyA Week Without Me
(7 - 3:03pm, Mar 08)
Last: Darren

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-8-2021
(3 - 2:34pm, Mar 08)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogJake Odorizzi reaches 2-year deal with Houston Astros, source says
(16 - 12:32pm, Mar 08)
Last: The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV)

NewsblogUniversal DH and expanded postseason unlikely for 2021 MLB season, per report
(35 - 8:07pm, Mar 07)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogWe found them: They're the worst team ever
(4 - 1:06pm, Mar 07)
Last: puck

NewsblogSource: Former Boston Red Sox CF Jackie Bradley Jr. to sign 2-year, $24M deal with Milwaukee Brewers
(28 - 11:58am, Mar 06)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogBraves revenue fell by almost $300 million last year
(42 - 11:47pm, Mar 05)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-5-2021
(9 - 7:47pm, Mar 05)
Last: puck

NewsblogTrevor Story Rumors: Rockies Contract Extension Won't Happen 'Anytime Soon'
(17 - 12:38pm, Mar 05)
Last: Bourbon Samurai stays in the fight

Page rendered in 0.2689 seconds
48 querie(s) executed