Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 13, 2021

Paradise City! Dave Parker & the 1988 Oakland A’s

“It’s nice to have some balance, be able to split up our big right-handed hitters,” Oakland A’s manager Tony La Russa told the L.A. Times in January 1988. “And there’s another reason we wanted Dave. We looked real hard around baseball for someone who could slap Jose and Mark around in case they get too smart. Dave is the only guy in baseball big enough to do that.”

djordan Posted: August 13, 2021 at 06:21 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: mlb

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Darren Posted: August 13, 2021 at 02:01 PM (#6034265)
Stay dumb, bash brothers!
   2. Traderdave Posted: August 13, 2021 at 02:05 PM (#6034266)
The excerpt reads like "The Gospel About Dave Parker, According to Dave Parker."
   3. djordan Posted: August 13, 2021 at 02:19 PM (#6034268)
re #2, Yeah, I know. As I submitted this, I thought to myself that I could've found a more specific excerpt for the piece. The Pirates clubhouse was all music, the Reds hardly any. The heavy-metal/hair-band stuff took him a little by surprise when he arrived in Oakland. I thought it was a cool quote that sort of foreshadowed an event in the clubhouse later during the season.
   4. The Duke Posted: August 13, 2021 at 10:50 PM (#6034344)
That was a fun read. Imagine that - a black guy thinking TLR is a good manager. He’d be drummed out of the union today.
   5. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: August 14, 2021 at 11:52 AM (#6034377)
djordan, thank you for sharing. Cobra & djordan’s other co-authored book Fastball John (about John D’Acquisto) were both excellent. It’s always a treat when we get any extra stories from Dave Parker or D’Acquisto. I see this was originally published on the mlb bro site back in late May. I hope more of these extra chapters are published.
   6. Jobu is silent on the changeup Posted: August 17, 2021 at 12:26 PM (#6034733)
That was a fun read. Imagine that - a black guy thinking TLR is a good manager. He’d be drummed out of the union today.
Are black folk genetically predisposed to like multi-inning relievers and hate drunk-driving (actually sleep-driving, but that's not supposed to be a thing)?
   7. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: August 17, 2021 at 12:52 PM (#6034737)
Are black folk genetically predisposed to like multi-inning relievers

You could make a case that Lee Smith is the patron saint of high-inning high-save closers.

NAME         SAVES  INN/GR
Rivera         652    1.12
Hoffman        601    1.05
Smith          478    1.23
Rodriguez      437    1.03
Franco         424    1.11 
   8. GregD Posted: August 17, 2021 at 02:12 PM (#6034752)
assume the comment on LaRussa and race is about his criticism of anthem protests, no idea whether his more-recent "clarifications" have helped or hurt things on this issue. Certainly that's a striking difference with someone younger like Kapler
   9. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: August 17, 2021 at 02:39 PM (#6034756)
La Russa has some bad history with some black players. Of course La Russa has lots of bad history with lots of different people, so it's a bit hard to determine if race plays a role in his mind. In February 1999 Ron Gant explicitly accused TLR of being a racist. Gant did retract the next day, but that statement still gets brought up, or at least alluded to, from time to time.

The only group of baseball people who seem to have an unconditionally positive relationship with TLR are owners. I don't know if TLR is just really good at playing politics, or if owners happen to see something in him that is mostly invisible to the rest of us.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMinnie, Gil, Buck among 6 elected to Hall
(132 - 11:10am, Dec 08)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogOn MLB-owned media, the players now barely exist. What’s behind that decision?
(17 - 11:07am, Dec 08)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(108 - 11:07am, Dec 08)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1300 - 10:39am, Dec 08)
Last: jacksone (AKA It's OK...)

NewsblogFlushing University: Reality Sets In
(8 - 10:39am, Dec 08)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(41 - 10:39am, Dec 08)
Last: RJ in TO

NewsblogWhat Does Endeavor, Silver Lake’s Push Into Baseball Mean For the Minors?
(17 - 10:33am, Dec 08)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogESPN's Tim Kurkjian is 2022 winner of BBWAA Career Excellence Award
(6 - 9:38am, Dec 08)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogAthletics manager search: Mark Kotsay, Joe Espada, Will Venable among A's candidates, per report
(5 - 4:57am, Dec 08)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(65 - 11:08pm, Dec 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogRed Sox, Astros Interested In Trevor Story
(7 - 8:39pm, Dec 07)
Last: Walt Davis

Hall of MeritGil Hodges
(77 - 8:36pm, Dec 07)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogMajor League Baseball is headed for a lockout. Is Ted Cruz the only one who can stop it?
(12 - 5:10pm, Dec 07)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogJose Marmolejos Signs With Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
(2 - 3:55pm, Dec 07)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(20 - 3:19pm, Dec 07)
Last: Darren

Page rendered in 0.1929 seconds
50 querie(s) executed