Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Pete Alonso wins 2019 Home Run Derby | MLB.com

They finally have the format right. Very entertaining!

Jim Furtado Posted: July 09, 2019 at 07:47 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: home run derby, joc pederson, peter alonso, vladimir guerrero jr.

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 09, 2019 at 09:19 AM (#5860261)
The semi between Joc and Vlad Jr. was a thing of beauty. I was laughing hysterically at Vlad's first 29, and pitying Joc... who came right back and tied it up with aplomb. And then Vlad hit 8 in one minute and I figured it was all over... until Joc matched him!

Just glorious. If only Alonso had a pitcher who didn't literally graze his uniform or bounce several balls in the dirt.
   2. Howie Menckel Posted: July 09, 2019 at 09:35 AM (#5860263)
Alonso might have hit 50 off Vlad's pitcher!
   3. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: July 09, 2019 at 09:41 AM (#5860264)
Joc had 4 chances to win with one swing. After he got to 29, he had 2 more swings and failed. Then in the first swing off, he homered on his first to tie and then missed the other 2. OTOH, he put one out on his final swing of the extra minute to tie. Just an incredible duel.
   4. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: July 09, 2019 at 09:43 AM (#5860265)
Alonso's guy was pitching to him like there was a base open with the pitcher up next.
   5. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 09, 2019 at 10:13 AM (#5860272)
Repost from the chatter:

The derby spray charts are a thing of beauty. Alonso and Acuna hit their HRs pretty evenly to all fields. The rest of the hitters I think combined for one opposite field HR (by Bell).

Link here.

6. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 09, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5860286)
Lost in Vlad's performance, I thought Acuna was amazing. He had such easy power to every field. Didn't matter where the ball was pitched, he just went with it and hit it out.
   7. villageidiom Posted: July 09, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5860303)
I approve of the format. Watching hitters swing in glorified batting practice is more fun that watching hitters take pitches in glorified batting practice.
   8. Tim M Posted: July 11, 2019 at 12:51 AM (#5860897)
This contest to me looked like which anonymous 50 yr old pitcher can groove the most meatballs. The batter almost didn't matter.
   9. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 11, 2019 at 01:39 AM (#5860899)
This contest to me looked like which anonymous 50 yr old pitcher can groove the most meatballs.

I gave this about 3 seconds thought and have a query...can you get anyone to pitch to you?

I'm thinking, as the hitter, you might even be better off having one of your own pitchers out there grooving 80-85mph fastballs. Surely a pro is going to be able to put them right in there nearly every time and the timing is ideal since the player is accustomed to seeing 95mph fastballs. I'm thining ones coming in at 80-85mph, as opposed to 70mph, would be easy to put over the fence with regularity?
   10. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 11, 2019 at 02:03 AM (#5860900)
I'd like to see them use retired pros as the pitchers. Bartolo Colon should've been pitching to Alonso. Greg Maddux should've been pitching to Acuna. Fans would enjoy that, no?
   11. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2019 at 08:02 AM (#5860907)
I'm thining ones coming in at 80-85mph, as opposed to 70mph, would be easy to put over the fence with regularity?

Doubt it. That's like saying that LeBron James would be more effective playing one-on-one against NCAA players than he would against high school players, because he's more used to the players being good.
   12. villageidiom Posted: July 11, 2019 at 08:18 AM (#5860909)
I gave this about 3 seconds thought and have a query...can you get anyone to pitch to you?
Anyone who agrees to pitch to you, yes. You can't just say "I want Taylor Swift to pitch to me" and they'll conjure up Taylor Swift. But otherwise, yes. In the HR Derby every player chose the person pitching to them. Last year the players mostly selected family or whoever regularly throws them batting practice.
   13. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 09:51 AM (#5860932)
This contest to me looked like which anonymous 50 yr old pitcher can groove the most meatballs. The batter almost didn't matter.

And yet Alonso won despite getting pitches that practically hit him.

But yes, agree on the broader point -- whoever was throwing to Vlad, that's the guy you want pitching to you.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
for his generous support.