Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Picking both 2020 MLB All-Star rosters—even though there’s no game

1B: Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Toronto Blue Jays

The weakest position in the majors is first base, and the AL starters over the past four years have been Eric Hosmer, Justin Smoak, Jose Abreu and Carlos Santana. Heck, Mitch Moreland made it is a reserve two years ago. Anyway, Santana of the Indians and Matt Olson of the A’s are the best of the lot, but with the news that Guerrero is moving over to first base, his popularity would propel him to our hypothetical win in the fan voting with a little improvement upon his rookie numbers.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: all-star games

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. JJ1986 Posted: July 14, 2020 at 11:36 AM (#5962806)
I know he's mentioned, but Matt Olson is a really good player who had 5.4 WAR, a 137 OPS+ and won the Gold Glove last year.
   2. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM (#5962814)
Well, yeah, Olson can actually play, but this is an ESPN list and by any measure Guerrero is much more Now than Olson.
   3. Rally Posted: July 14, 2020 at 08:11 PM (#5962913)
Not sold on Vlad as an allstar. Right now I’ve hit as many 2020 homers as he has.
   4. Walt Davis Posted: July 15, 2020 at 02:42 AM (#5962980)
Based on the b-r sim ... and they could have made this easier ... and not caring about fan voting

AL (WAR)
C: Grandal (3.8)
1B: Vlad (3.5)
2B: LeMahieu (3.5)
SS: Lindor (5.5)
3B: Chapman (4.7)
LF: Tauchmann (3.7) -- kid you not
CF: Buxton (3.6)
RF: Judge (3.1) -- nod to popularity
DH: Trout (5.5) -- he may not show :-)
SP: Cole (4.3)

Top snub: Semien (4.2) but that's what you get for playing Lindor's position. I'm not sure Vlad is actually playing 1B in the sim but next AL 1B on the list is either Gallo (2.7) or Santana (2.6)

NL
C: Realmuto (3.5)
1B: Alonso (3.0) -- WAR leader and he'd win the vote
2B: Albies (4.5)
SS: Story (3.8)
3B: Arenado (5.4)
LF: Yelich (4.5)
CF: Robles (4.4)
RF: Bellinger (6.1)
DH: Soto (6.0)
SP: Scherzer (5.0)

Top snubs: Miguel Rojas who has more WAR than Story but no way a Marlin gets a starting nod and Buehler (4.1) who leads the league in ERA but is 5th in WAR.

NL pretty well dominates the top of both pitching and pos WAR and is +18 in interleague.

EDIT: Ohtani has 1.7 WARpos and 1.4 WARpit. I'm sure we can find a spot for him.
   5. Walt Davis Posted: July 15, 2020 at 02:58 AM (#5962985)
So the AL back-ups would likely include Semien, Simmons, Gleyber and Bregman/Rammirez. Which potentially would have Gleyber subbing in for LeMahieu which makes me wonder if a teammate has ever subbed for another in an AS game. Obviously not including pitchers and I'd guess it might have happened in the OF given they don't pay a lot of attention to LF/CF/RF distinctions in the AS game.
   6. Rally Posted: July 15, 2020 at 08:36 AM (#5962994)
If you're looking at infield or catcher, my guess would be no for all star starters. Kind of hard to have a 3B get voted into the game, get hurt, and you have another 3B who is a viable all star replacement. But for reserves I'm sure it's happened where a 1B replaces a 3B from the same team.
   7. Ron J Posted: July 15, 2020 at 08:51 AM (#5962997)
#3 I was going to use that argument to advocate for Lou Gehrig.
   8. Walt Davis Posted: July 15, 2020 at 09:57 PM (#5963254)
Yeah but I meant at the same position. Could happen in the NL if Baez replaced Bryant or now that they have the super utility position guy. Basically a situation where a league is short at one position but deep at, say, SS and in Gleyber's case, a SS who was recently a 2B. Obviously it will be rare which was why I was wondering if it had happened. As mentioned, I could see it in the OF, even legitimately -- did Willie Wilson and Amos Otis ever make the same AS team for example -- but also any case where, say, Reggie got shifted back to CF in the starting lineup then replaced by Mickey Rivers.

In the real world, most likely Merrifield is the KC rep and also Altuve likely to make the team (though he doesn't particularly deserve it in the sim) so it's a moot point. By the way, Otis and Wilson nvver on the same AS team, nor Rivers & Reggie, Reggie's only AS CF start came in 69. And the 1976 starting AL AS OF .... LeFlore in LF, Lynn in CF, Staub in RF with the unpopular Yaz on the bench. :-) Were the Tigers stuffing the ballot box?
   9. Walt Davis Posted: July 16, 2020 at 04:14 AM (#5963283)
Well, I guess no surprise, they just played the AS game over in the sim league. NL with an easy 5-1 win.

Starting lineups -- Lindor, Brantley (I'd missed him), Trout, Santana, Alvarez, Chapman, Grandal, LeMahieu, Buxton and Cole. LeMahhieu was subbed in by Shed Long who I didn't even know was a 2B. Apparently the Tigers so desperate that Jeimer Candelario just made his first AS team.

NL: Soto, Yelich, Arenado, Bellinger, Alonso, Realmuto, Dahl (DH), Story, Albies and Scherzer. Albies played the entire game, Bryant subbed in at 1B.

Snell gave up 2 in the 5th and took the loss. Gwang-hyun Kim picked up the win. Soto, Arenado and Albies went deep for the NL. Alvarez tagged one for the AL. Soto also reached on a dropped 3rd strike -- no idea if that's happened in an AS game before although it's easy to see how it might have. And only 23 Ks out of 64 PA in the game.
   10. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: July 16, 2020 at 12:35 PM (#5963364)
Idea: Fire up OOTP and have the 2020 All-Stars play the 1945 All-Stars!

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback used to say live and let live
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOakland Athletics OF Ramon Laureano charges Houston Astros dugout, sparks brawl
(14 - 1:06am, Aug 10)
Last: Astroenteritis

NewsblogRules for pitcher feats in 7-inning twin bills
(16 - 12:44am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8859 - 12:21am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogYankees' Aaron Boone argues with umpires about air horn being blown outside Phillies' ballpark
(1 - 11:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOff the glove and over the fence! Texas Rangers’ Nick Solak homers in unique fashion.
(7 - 10:05pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER! for August 8-9, 2010
(45 - 9:23pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(343 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: kcgard2

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(10 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(43 - 9:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogBA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall
(7 - 9:07pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(6 - 9:03pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(17 - 8:44pm, Aug 09)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogWhy MLB didn't use bubble plan for 2020 regular season; and what league insiders think of the decision
(7 - 8:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogChris Iannetta retires after Yankees send catcher to alternate site
(4 - 6:00pm, Aug 09)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(86 - 5:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.2921 seconds
48 querie(s) executed