Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Pioneer League installs new rules for 2021

· To avoid the excessive strain on our pitching staffs, the Pioneer Baseball League will not have extra innings, but rather will employ a first-of-its-kind “Knock Out” rule that resolves tied games with a head-to-head, “sudden death” home run duel. Under the rule, each team designates a hitter who receives 5 pitches, with the game determined by the most home runs hit. If still tied after the first “Knock Out” round, another hitter is selected for a sudden-death home run face-off until a winner is declared

· The Designated Pinch Hitter rule permits a player not having previously entered into the game to pinch hit for an eligible roster player who may then return to his defensive position for the remainder of the game, until otherwise substituted for. The Designated Pinch Hitter is thereafter ineligible to return to the game. The Designated Pinch Hitter can only be employed once a game by each team

· The Designated Pinch Runner rule permits a player not having previously entered into the game to pinch run for an eligible roster player who may then return to his defensive position for the remainder of the game, until otherwise substituted for. The Designated Pinch Runner is thereafter ineligible to return to the game. The Designated Pinch Runner can only be employed once a game by each team

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 27, 2021 at 11:42 AM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: rule changes

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. DL from MN Posted: April 27, 2021 at 12:48 PM (#6015672)
To avoid the excessive strain on our pitching staffs

Why not just get a tee?
   2. JJ1986 Posted: April 27, 2021 at 12:57 PM (#6015675)
· The Designated Pinch Hitter rule permits a player not having previously entered into the game to pinch hit for an eligible roster player who may then return to his defensive position for the remainder of the game, until otherwise substituted for. The Designated Pinch Hitter is thereafter ineligible to return to the game. The Designated Pinch Hitter can only be employed once a game by each team

· The Designated Pinch Runner rule permits a player not having previously entered into the game to pinch run for an eligible roster player who may then return to his defensive position for the remainder of the game, until otherwise substituted for. The Designated Pinch Runner is thereafter ineligible to return to the game. The Designated Pinch Runner can only be employed once a game by each team

Why?
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 27, 2021 at 01:30 PM (#6015679)
It's the minor leagues, the perfect venue to try some crazy ####. I'm all for it.
   4. Rally Posted: April 27, 2021 at 02:52 PM (#6015695)
Settling a game by HR derby is just as legitimate as settling by rock paper scissors. There is a way to settle things quickly, and actually involves baseball skills.

1. One manager proposes starting base-out situation. Maybe he calls for 0 out, runner on second.
2. Other manager decides whether to play defense or offense. If zero runs are scored in the half inning, defense wins the ballgame. If any runs score, offense wins. Does not have to be the runner who starts on second. For example, he could get picked off, and the next guy hits a homer.

The runner(s) on base have to be the last 1-3 batting spots from the previous inning, the first batter always the guy who would have led off. Since a half inning will decide things, the full bench is available to use.

This could get interesting depending on player availability. My guess is a runner on second, nobody out gets a scoring inning about 50% of the time, though I'm sure we have plenty of real data to test that. But I could see a situation where however the lineup ended up presenting big differences in the odds.

Say I've got Mike Trout or Juan Soto due up, and my opponent has his pitcher's spot with no pinch hitters available. I might say "Bases loaded, 1 out". Now my opponent has to decide if he can get Trout (and I guess, Rendon) out, or take his chances with a probable pitcher strikeout followed by maybe a 35% chance of winning with the next batter.

If it's a bad hitting pitcher, do you let him swing or send him up with orders to take? A strikeout prevents an inning ending double play, and if he doesn't swing he just might get lucky and draw a walk.
   5. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 27, 2021 at 03:49 PM (#6015704)
If the goal is to make the game more entertaining, why not experiment with a ‘No Cup Rule’? It’s always funny watching someone else get hit in the nuts.
   6. Karl from NY Posted: April 27, 2021 at 03:58 PM (#6015706)
and my opponent has his pitcher's spot with no pinch hitters available

This is a fun thought experiment, but this wouldn't actually happen. If a manager knew this "armageddon" inning was coming, he'd always save a pinch hitter for it.
   7. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: April 27, 2021 at 08:13 PM (#6015756)
1) It's the minor leagues. What the heck, give try some s**t!
2) The NBA appears to be the only major team sports left that isn't freaking out about overtime situations. The NFL figured it out - there's a tie every year or two, your team will probably play 1-2 overtime games a year, and it will get settled most of the time. Regardless, it is generally awesome when an NFL game goes into overtime.

Baseball is falling all over itself about extra innings, because people are complaining the games are too long. But the reason they are too long is because the 9-inning games take way over 3 hours.

Hockey is whatever - ties, shootouts, reduced men on the ice for OT. No hockey fan gives a sh*t.

But the NBA hasn't really done anything over the years - 5-minute OT periods until somebody is winning at the end of one of the periods. The % of NBA games that go into OT is very consistent - between 6% and 7% of games. So, that's like 5 or 6 games a regular season per team that go into overtime. Only about 17% of overtime games go beyond a single overtime - so, the average team has less than one game a year that goes into double-OT or beyond. They (correctly) figured out nobody cares about this, and it makes for exciting basketball.

The real problem baseball has with dealing with these length of game issues is that it is the only major sports with no clock. But if you want to solve the problem, put a clock in- the clock used between pitches. Problem f**king solved.
   8. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 27, 2021 at 09:13 PM (#6015767)
Baseball is falling all over itself about extra innings, because people are complaining the games are too long.
That’s not it. Whatever lip service it occasionally pays, MLB doesn’t give a #### what fans think about length or, more importantly, pace of games. It’s only an issue because managers don’t want to exhaust their bullpens and players don’t want to keep playing indefinitely.
   9. SoSH U at work Posted: April 27, 2021 at 09:22 PM (#6015769)
I don't mind baseball experimenting at the minor leagues. But most of this stuff is pointless. Test things out that will have an actual effect on the way the game is played.

10. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 27, 2021 at 09:42 PM (#6015775)
My softball league used to start everyone with a 3-2 count in extra innings. That would move things along.
   11. Howie Menckel Posted: April 27, 2021 at 11:50 PM (#6015795)
Only about 17% of overtime games go beyond a single overtime - so, the average team has less than one game a year that goes into double-OT or beyond. They (correctly) figured out nobody cares about this, and it makes for exciting basketball.

in the 1990s, there was a rookie beat guy facing his first NBA game on the road (re-reading and - thankfully, no, this was not me).

tight deadlines anyway and - triple OT.

it's - well, it's not pretty for anybody. one 'script' torn up after another, electronically.

sending, sending, sending, if all goes well there is a semblance of a lead as the game ends. count on the copy desk to make it barely readable.

race to the locker room, because there is almost no time now for what we called a 'writethru.'

take one decent quote from the coach and another from the first relevant player who exits the showers. sprint back to the press room. barely improved lead, with quotes, that might possibly get past the casual newspaper reader the next day as a plausible story.

and then, it's over. right away. no social media, no online update. 24 hours later, let's do it all over again - hopefully, with a blowout this time.

rookie beat guy - well, it went as poorly as it would for anybody under those parameters.

1,000 miles away, and I think his paper wound up using AP copy while paying for his expenses.

12. Walt Davis Posted: April 28, 2021 at 01:20 AM (#6015804)
I suppose the designated PR rule allows you to keep your starting C in the game which is probably appreciated by that day's backup C. That's not the worst idea.

I can see the "benefit" of the designated PH in the majors but, in the minors/indy, isn't the whole point to let your glove-only SS hit as often as possible in the hope that someday he kinda figures it out.
   13. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: April 28, 2021 at 06:49 AM (#6015811)
In case of ties, there will be a "riot-off" to determine which team is more committed to social justice, and thus is worthy of winning the game.
   14. Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer Posted: April 28, 2021 at 08:52 AM (#6015816)
I was reading some stuff this morning and it's worth noting that ratings for extra innings are up which I'm sure is a positive from MLB's standpoint. Based on the way people are acting this seems to be popular. I'll admit I didn't like it at first but I've found myself tuning in.
   15. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: April 28, 2021 at 09:07 AM (#6015820)
It’s only an issue because managers don’t want to exhaust their bullpens

9-man bullpens and managers are legitimately concerned about running out of pitchers in extra innings.

Boo f'n' hoo.
   16. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 28, 2021 at 09:23 AM (#6015824)
Who pitches during the HR derby?
   17. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM (#6015831)
In case of ties, there will be a "riot-off" to determine which team is more committed to social justice, and thus is worthy of winning the game.
Stick to sports.
   18. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 28, 2021 at 10:46 AM (#6015835)

Robinson Cano's dad.
   19. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: April 28, 2021 at 05:27 PM (#6015919)
Stick to sports.

You're right...baseball would never do anything for political reasons...
   20. pikepredator Posted: April 28, 2021 at 05:35 PM (#6015924)

The father of one of the players!!
   21. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 28, 2021 at 05:41 PM (#6015926)
You're right...baseball would never do anything for political reasons...
And you would never ##### about it and say "stick to sports," would you?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogThe 3,000 Hit Club Is Closed for Maintenance
(40 - 11:54pm, Sep 26)
Last: Cooper Nielson

NewsblogVaxed, waxed, and ready for the WEEKEND OMNICHATTER!, for September 24-26, 2021
(141 - 11:48pm, Sep 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogBob Uecker Day cause for 50th celebration
(1 - 11:44pm, Sep 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

Sox TherapyOK, Let’s Play Scenarios
(9 - 11:23pm, Sep 26)
Last: Textbook Editor

Sox TherapyIt's A Sprint, Not A Marathon
(70 - 11:18pm, Sep 26)
Last: Textbook Editor

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(14189 - 11:10pm, Sep 26)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4616 - 10:55pm, Sep 26)
Last: tshipman

NewsblogMullins 1st Oriole in 30-30 club: 'It's surreal'
(20 - 10:41pm, Sep 26)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogChicago Cubs plan to be 'really active" in MLB free agency, says team president Jed Hoyer
(10 - 9:59pm, Sep 26)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(288 - 4:59pm, Sep 26)
Last: manchestermets

NewsblogHyde to return as O's skipper in 2022
(2 - 3:35pm, Sep 26)
Last: Jack Keefe

NewsblogCarlos Gomez Officially Announces Retirement
(8 - 3:29pm, Sep 26)
Last: Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams)

Newsblog14 wins in a row! Cards tie 1935 club record
(9 - 2:32pm, Sep 26)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogThey could be ROY vote-getters -- again
(13 - 2:46am, Sep 26)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogOT - August/September 2021 College Football thread
(251 - 10:43pm, Sep 25)
Last: Howie Menckel

Page rendered in 0.3391 seconds
48 querie(s) executed