Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, January 04, 2020

Predicting the 2020s for Each of the 30 MLB Teams

After spending most of the last few weeks writing about baseball in the 2010s, it’s time to divert our attention to the decade ahead of us. It’s hard to know what’s to come in baseball. Just look at all that changed in our game over the last 10 years. Many times, the most logical expectations look absurd in retrospect, and the most unlikely of guesses come true. But that’s part of the fun of making predictions.

We’ve made one prediction for each of the 30 MLB teams in the 2020s. Bookmark this bad boy and in 10 years tell us just how wrong we were. I’m sure we’ll appreciate it.

Who will be champions in the sport? Who won’t be? Who will experience utterly surreal happenings?

QLE Posted: January 04, 2020 at 01:27 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: predictions

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: January 04, 2020 at 02:59 AM (#5912777)
I only read the Cubs one but if you were expecting a prediction for the 2020s (much less an informed one), you're out of luck. For the Cubs their prediction for the 2020s is (a) the Cubs will trade Bryant and Contreras this offseason and (b) 5-6 years from now, almost nobody from the 2016 team will be left. So the first is a prediction of what will happen in the next 2 months and the second goes without saying.

Seriously, each of these predictions is 2-3 sentences long. Don't click.
   2. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: January 04, 2020 at 09:36 AM (#5912793)
For those who take Walt's advice, I offer this juicy sample:
Boston Red Sox

The 2020s will not be kind to the Red Sox. After trading Mookie Betts and David Price to the Dodgers for Joc Pederson, top pitching prospect Dustin May and 18-year-old catching prospect Diego Cartaya, they will struggle to compete with the Yankees, Blue Jays and Rays in the AL East. Boston fans will look back bitterly at the Mookie Trade—though it will not be as one-sided as the deal that sent Babe Ruth to the Bronx—and see 2018 as the end of a Red Sox Golden Age, just as they did with 1918 in the 20th century.
   3. Captain Supporter Posted: January 04, 2020 at 09:37 AM (#5912794)
The Yankees one is that the Yanks will win the World Series in 2020, Aaron Judge will be the season MVP, and the Yankees will then sign him to a 10 Year $365M contract. In summary, while I very much like the prediction (except perhaps the 10 year contract), there was very little thought or effort put into the article.
   4. Moeball Posted: January 04, 2020 at 01:54 PM (#5912828)
Oh, come on, it's not that difficult to predict the next decade for the Padres. They will still have a front office that can't identify or develop talent adequately. They will be in the lower echelon of payrolls but not necessarily the lowest. They will tell the fans that they cannot afford to compete.Yet there will be some teams with lower payrolls such as the A's or the Rays who will consistently put more competitive teams on the field. There will be the same number of Padres championship banners a decade from now as today. I can hardly wait!
   5. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: January 04, 2020 at 02:08 PM (#5912830)
Well, I failed to heed Walt's advice, and I'm the worse for it. Not only were most "predictions" completely inane*, they couldn't even do alphabetizing correctly, sandwiching Seattle in between the 2 Sans.

* for example:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Chase Field’s swimming pool will expand into the outfield as part of a pilot program for how to handle baseball as sea levels rise. — Emma Baccellieri
   6. Walt Davis Posted: January 04, 2020 at 03:10 PM (#5912849)
#5: At least that one is an attempt at humor. I'd see, ummm, "value" in a set of 30 silly predictions.
   7. Astroenteritis Posted: January 04, 2020 at 09:39 PM (#5912917)
And here I was hoping for a prediction on how the Astros would fare after being stripped of all their draft picks...forever!
   8. Itchy Row Posted: January 04, 2020 at 10:02 PM (#5912920)
The Kansas City prediction is exactly right.
   9. Dock Ellis Posted: January 04, 2020 at 10:14 PM (#5912924)
this is dumb, don't click

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.