Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-30-2019

Washburn [Wisconsin] Times, October 30, 1919:

Jack Quinn of the Yankees is now the proprietor of the world’s wonder wild pitch record. The big miner uncorked one in the recent Philadelphia series that was pronounced by competent judges to have been the wildest, wooliest and thorough-going maverick wild pitch on record. It came in the fifth inning with Cy Perkins at the bat. Jack dressed a ball up for a spitter and cut it loose. The ball went off at a tangent, and entered the grand stand directly over the Philadelphia bench.

Tommy Connolly looked at the pitch, and after calling it a “ball,” cried: “Save the women and children.”

“I want you to throw the next one at the mascot. Just throw it at the bull, all right. Trust me.”

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: October 30, 2019 at 01:05 PM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: October 30, 2019 at 01:06 PM (#5896437)
A heck of a Birthday Team today. I don't feel great about Delahanty at shortstop, but he played nearly 100 games there so it's not totally insane. It's worth mentioning that Leon Day was a star-level 2B/CF in addition to being a great starting pitcher, so I wouldn't have any problem with someone wanting to bench Scutaro and play Day there when he isn't pitching.

C: Dave Valle (10.0 WAR)
1B/Manager: Bill Terry (54.2 WAR)
2B: Marco Scutaro (22.1 WAR)
3B: Jim Ray Hart (24.9 WAR)
SS: Ed Delahanty (69.7 WAR)
LF: Joe Adcock (33.3 WAR)
CF: Mickey Rivers (32.7 WAR)
RF: Buck Freeman (24.0 WAR)

SP: Leon Day (0 WAR, Negro Leagues Hall of Famer)
SP: Jim Perry (41.6 WAR)
SP: Mark Portugal (18.0 WAR)
SP: Pete Conway (3.8 WAR)
SP: Ian Snell (3.0 WAR)
RP: Scott Garrelts (9.6 WAR)

Bench Bat: Danny Tartabull (23.3 WAR)
Defensive replacement at SS: Jason Bartlett (18.3 WAR)
Fun names: Joe Panik, Roe Skidmore, Kettle Wirts, Pete Fries, Ham Iburg
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 30, 2019 at 01:26 PM (#5896448)
Danny Tartabull played second base in the minors as well as a bit when he first came up to the majors, and with more career WAR, it's my understanding that the rules of the Birthday Team would ordinarily place him there. In the real world, they're probably better off with Marco Scutaro at second.

There probably aren't a lot of teams with eight position players at 20 or more WAR.
   3. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 30, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5896469)
Hell of a lineup when a 133 OPS+ hitter can't get on the field.

I petition to add a DH to even numbered birthday dates.
   4. vortex of dissipation Posted: October 30, 2019 at 02:39 PM (#5896530)
You could also add a Sawamura Award and Pacific League MVP winning starting pitcher to today's birthday team if you wanted to. Toshiya Sugiuchi was a lefty who pitched 14 years for the Hawks and Giants from 2002 to 2015, going 142-77 with a 2.95 ERA. In 2005, he won the Sawamura Award and Pacific League MVP, going 18-4, 2.11, leading the league on both categories. He was Japan Series MVP in 2003. He was a seven-time All-Star, and pitched for Japan in the first two World Baseball Classics. He missed half of the 2004 season when, after getting shelled in his first start of the season, he pound both hands on the dugout bench in frustration, and broke the pinky finger in both hands. I'm sure he'd be a better pitcher than Ian Snell.
   5. Karl from NY Posted: October 30, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5896535)
I think the rules of the Birthday Teams are just, if you had these players and had to field a team with them, where would you put them. It's not like fantasy-team eligibility. You can put someone where you think they could reasonably play even if they never did.
   6. KJOK Posted: October 30, 2019 at 04:31 PM (#5896620)
And you could even add ANOTHER really good Negro Leagues pitcher: Dave Barnhill at Seamheads.com
   7. Walt Davis Posted: October 30, 2019 at 09:59 PM (#5896836)
That might be a better lineup than the 2019 Astros and with outstanding depth.
   8. The Honorable Ardo Posted: October 31, 2019 at 09:42 AM (#5897291)
That might be a better lineup than the 2019 Astros and with outstanding depth.

Agreed. I'd rather simply play Bartlett at short and Delahanty in right field:

CF Rivers
RF Delahanty
1B Terry
LF Adcock
3B Hart
2B Scutaro
SS Bartlett
C Valle

No easy outs to be seen - and two dynamite pinch-hitters in Freeman (lefty) and Tartabull (righty) lurking on the bench.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.