Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-20-2019

Indy league ballplayer Louis Lamer tells a story to the Sporting News about his team facing Walter Johnson in an exhibition game, run in the Bogalusa [Louisiana] Enterprise and American, November 20, 1919:

On our team was a player we called Goose Pittman, who was quite a character. He talked about what he could do and just how he could hit Johnson’s speed. He had it all figured out.

Johnson put over the first two strikes on Goose so fast he did not even see them, but then Goose began to work his system…He was going to slam away as soon as he saw Walter winding up, figuring he’d about get his bat around when the ball got to the plate.

Johnson brought his arm up and fired the ball over to first base, trying to nab the runner there. Goose was all set and as he saw Johnson’s arm go up he swung wildly, going all the way round. Of course he hit nothing but the atmosphere. The crowd roared and Goose threw down his bat and shook his head. “My Gawd! such speed,” he said, “I never even saw it.”
Pittman had to take a lot of joshing for being the only man who was ever known to swing at a ball that had been thrown to first base.

If it’s anything like what I had to endure after striking out and grounding into a double play in the same slow-pitch softball season, it would have been rough.

(On the strikeout, the pitcher had figured out exactly the angle to throw in order to force hitters to stare into the sun to find the ball. On the double play, I absolutely crushed a one-hopper up the middle. Shortstop grabbed it, stepped on second, and threw me out as if it were a routine ground out. You really have to hit a softball on the button to ground into a double play.)

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:07 AM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5902569)
There's some good front-line talent on today's Birthday Team, though the minority owner may attempt to move the team out of November.

C: Lou Berberet (3.8 WAR)
1B: Alex Arias (1.9 WAR)
2B: Joe Sommer (2.9 WAR)
3B: George McBride (20.9 WAR)
SS: Amed Rosario (2.5 WAR)
LF: Jay Johnstone (16.5 WAR)
CF: Rick Monday (33.1 WAR)
RF: J.D. Drew (44.9 WAR)

SP/Owner/Manager: Clark Griffith (62.5 WAR)
SP: Leon Cadore (19.5 WAR)
SP: Dan Casey (19.3 WAR)
SP: Larry Benton (17.6 WAR)
SP: Andy Coakley (8.0 WAR)
RP: Greg Holland (11.5 WAR)
RP: Cody Allen (8.7 WAR)

Commissioner: Kenesaw Landis
Minority Owner: Jeffrey Loria
Fun names: Swat McCabe, Lino Urdaneta, Rugger Ardizoia
-1.2 career WAR and one All-Star Game: Jeff Locke (-1.2 WAR)
   2. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:17 AM (#5902571)
Me, today:
You are 44 years, 6 months, and 6 days old - that's exactly 16,261 days!
That's exactly as old as Cy Young was the day he appeared in his last big league game.

Anyone who wants to can see how old they are here.

Other matches today:
Baseball manager Tommy Lasorda is exactly as old as Stan Musial was the day he died (33,662 days).

Running back Adrian Peterson is exactly as old as Ty Cobb was the day he got his 3,000th hit (12,662 days).
   3. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:26 AM (#5902572)
OTP:

If Gordon Sondland is a baseball fan, I want to buy him a beer at Citi Field.
   4. Tom Nawrocki Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:29 AM (#5902574)
Rick Monday and Jay Johnstone were born on the exact same day. They were teammates on the Dodgers from 1980-82, occasionally lining up next to each other in the outfield.
   5. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:30 AM (#5902575)
On the strikeout, the pitcher had figured out exactly the angle to throw in order to force hitters to stare into the sun to find the ball.
Mm hm.
   6. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5902583)
3B: George McBride (20.9 WAR)

quite honestly, I had never heard of him, but BRef has him at lifetime 23.3 dWAR and 9.9 oWAR (lifetime 65 OPS+). He should have been a shortstop in the 60s
   7. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 10:50 AM (#5902587)
Notable Anagrams:
Lou Berberet -> Beer Trouble
Rick Monday -> Acronym Kid
Leon Cadore -> Noodle Race
Cody Allen -> Yodel Clan
Kenesaw Landis -> A Swindle Snake
Jeffrey Loria -> Iffy Oral Jeer
   8. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 20, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5902604)
This should be a big transaction day in baseball, by the way, as teams set 40 man rosters. Trades, waivers, etc...
   9. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5902619)
Pat Williams (co-founded the Orlando Magic) wants an MLB team and is starting his push by employing clip art and the naming imagination of a five year old.
   10. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 12:47 PM (#5902630)
Approved. If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that expansion to Florida has been an unmitigated success at the box office.
   11. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: November 20, 2019 at 12:48 PM (#5902632)
Kenesaw Landis -> A Swindle Snake
Jeffrey Loria -> Iffy Oral Jeer

I get that it doesn't work lexographically, but I insist that spiritually, at least, 'A Swindle Snake' is actually an anagram of 'Jeffrey Loria'.
   12. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 12:52 PM (#5902635)
And if I saw Loria on the street, I'd at least be tempted to yell an Iffy Oral Jeer at him.
   13. Rennie's Tenet Posted: November 20, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5902651)
I don't want to sully the thread about the player who died in New Zealand with inanity: the Australian league has clubs in Perth and Auckland? That's 3300 miles, and who knows how many kilometers?
   14. salvomania Posted: November 20, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5902662)
the naming imagination of a five year old.

Clearly appealing to the illegal immigrant crowd
   15. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2019 at 02:02 PM (#5902668)
I don't want to sully the thread about the player who died in New Zealand with inanity: the Australian league has clubs in Perth and Auckland? That's 3300 miles, and who knows how many kilometers?
Yeah, it's wild. I'd have expected a more regional league - a few teams in metro Melbourne, maybe one in Geelong, a few more in metro Sydney, maybe one on the Gold Coast and one in Canberra. West to Adelaide if they were really feeling crazy.

Also, the ABL announced earlier this week that Auckland's home games would be seven innings in order to satisfy Sky Sports NZ, which I guess I understand in a business sense but hate in a baseball purist sense.
   16. Karl from NY Posted: November 20, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5902683)
Perth and Auckland? That's 3300 miles

New Zealand really isn't all that close to Australia geographically. They get lumped together from Western perspectives, but even from Sydney on the east coast to NZ is 1500 miles and a 3+ hour flight.
   17. SoSH U at work Posted: November 20, 2019 at 02:51 PM (#5902693)
They get lumped together from Western perspectives,

If they don't want to get lumped together, they ought to try getting flags the average person can tell apart.

18. Walt Davis Posted: November 20, 2019 at 03:06 PM (#5902703)
they ought to try getting flags the average person can tell apart.

Oh c'mon now! Australia has an extra big star right under the union jack and a very tiny star in the middle of the southern cross. The Kiwi flag just has the southern cross. And the Kiwi stars are red while the Aus stars are white. It's like not being able to tell the diffrence between Vlad Guerrero and Bobby Abreu!!

(Even I can never remember which one has the red stars and which the white but I do always remember Aus has the extra big star.)
   19. Walt Davis Posted: November 20, 2019 at 03:18 PM (#5902715)
Australia is f'ing big. I flew Syd to Bangkok (about 9 hours) ... took us 5+ hours just to get out of Australia. Had one trip out Perth way and thought "Broome is suppose to be beautiful, I wonder how drivable that is." 1400 miles. I headed south to wine country instead.

I believe "Route" 1, which circumnavigates Australia, is the longest continuous highway in the world.

That's 3300 miles, and who knows how many kilometers?

5 miles is almost exactly 8 km. So 5280 km. But yeah, it's 2800 miles from NY to LA for comparison.

20. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 21, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5902905)
Surprised no one posted about yesterday's flurry of roster stuff (twenty or so guys cut, including former starts Ellsbury and Chen, loads of randos added to 40 man rosters). I've started to look at R5 eligibles and haven't found the "obvious" gems in the rough yet (mind you, teams are better at protecting them now). Seems like a lot of the usual - guys with good stuff but bad health/control, guys with iffy stuff who know how to pitch at low levels, okay hitters who lack a position or clear role, bad hitters with good tools, etc...
I'll ramble about a few of them over the coming days - also, I bet BA's first R5 preview comes out today, which would do a better job anyway.

EDIT: BA did about half an hour ago, I guess. Some of the same names I had, which might mean something (that I'm a BA reader?)
   21. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 21, 2019 at 10:44 AM (#5902916)
a few non-toolsy position players cooper didn't list
1b roberto ramos (col, l/25) - hit great in great places to hit but lacks plus tools beyond power. still, has hit for some average, will draw walks, and seems to have fought his glove to a draw. a rebuilding al team could do worse than give him at bats as a lefty 1b/dh.
3b jason vosler (sd, l/26) - san diego will lose some players (multiple) and vosler likely won't be one of them, but you could give him a shot as a lefty backup at the corners.
ss/of eli white (tex, r/26) - kind of okay at everything? don't think he really has the range for short (his normal position), but can fill in wherever, steal a base or two, draw some walks, showed a bit of pop with last year's superball in the pcl. low ceiling (poor man's chris taylor) but usable.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.