Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 20, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-20-2020

Chicago Eagle, November 20, 1920:

George Whitted of the Pittsburgh Pirates says there is just as much reason in a pitcher throwing a baseball to frighten a batter as there would be in a batter taking a bat and breaking the arm of a pitcher whom he could not hit—same theory in each case. And Whitted hints that if he finds any pitcher trying to dust him off he’ll do just that trick of equalizing things by busting the offending pitcher’s arm.

Jeez, George, dial it back a bit. You’re a .270 hitter with no power. Nobody’s throwing at you because they can’t get you out.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2020 at 10:23 AM | 3 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 20, 2020 at 10:24 AM (#5990094)
There's some good front-line talent on today's Birthday Team, though the minority owner may attempt to move the team out of November.

C: Lou Berberet (3.7 WAR)
1B: Alex Arias (1.9 WAR)
2B: Joe Sommer (2.9 WAR)
3B: George McBride (21.0 WAR)
SS: Amed Rosario (2.1 WAR)
LF: Jay Johnstone (16.5 WAR)
CF: Rick Monday (33.1 WAR)
RF: J.D. Drew (44.9 WAR)

SP/Owner/Manager: Clark Griffith (63.0 WAR)
SP: Leon Cadore (19.3 WAR)
SP: Dan Casey (19.3 WAR)
SP: Larry Benton (17.3 WAR)
SP: Andy Coakley (8.4 WAR)
RP: Greg Holland (12.6 WAR)
RP: Cody Allen (8.4 WAR)

Commissioner: Kenesaw Landis
Minority Owner: Jeffrey Loria
Fun names: Swat McCabe, Lino Urdaneta, Rugger Ardizoia
-1.3 career WAR and one All-Star Game: Jeff Locke (-1.3 WAR)
-3.8 career WAR: Jo-Jo Reyes (-3.8 WAR)
   2. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: November 20, 2020 at 10:31 AM (#5990097)
Leon Cadore, one of the pitchers who threw a 26-inning complete game on May 1, 1920.

Not the only interesting part of his biography.

Lieutenant Cadore was one of the white officers assigned to command a “colored” unit, the 369th Infantry Regiment. After landing in France, the regiment saw hard combat in the final weeks of the war. The 369th, nicknamed “the Harlem Hellfighters,” captured a reported 1,000 German troops the day before the November 11 armistice ended the fighting. The French government awarded the unit the Croix de Guerre for its service in defense of the nation.

Cadore put his outgoing personality to work as a stockbroker in New York, a sure-fire way to get rich quick in the roaring market of the 1920s. Soon after his divorce from Helen in 1931, he married Maie Ebbets, a daughter of the late Dodgers owner. She was divorced and nine years older than her new husband.

With the stock market scraping bottom during the Depression, Cadore’s life spiraled downhill. He was arrested in 1935 when several clients accused him of stealing from their accounts. The state attorney general’s office said it had been investigating his activities for several months.23 The disposition of those charges could not be found.

The next year Cadore was struggling as a commission salesman for a drug company, and he and his wife were reported to be “living in virtual destitution in a $1-a-day furnished room.” Maie was one of the heirs to her father’s million-dollar fortune, including his 50 percent ownership of the Dodgers, but the estate was tied up in seemingly endless lawsuits. She said she had received no money from the team since 1931. “I am down to my last rags,” she told a reporter. “I have no clothes. We have nothing. I applied for home relief [welfare], but they laughed at me when I told them I was one of the Ebbets. I couldn’t make them believe I was destitute.”24

When the Ebbets executors sold the estate’s share of the Dodgers to Branch Rickey, Walter O’Malley, and pharmaceutical executive John L. Smith in 1945, the Cadores and other heirs sued unsuccessfully to block the deal. Like Dickens’ Jarndyce v. Jarndyce, litigation over the estate “drag[ged] its dreary length before the court, perennially hopeless,” for 24 years after Charles Ebbets’s death.25 When it was at last settled, in December 1949, Maie’s inheritance was reported to be $125,000 after debts and lawyers were paid.26 She didn’t live to enjoy it. She died of heart disease four months later.

By that time Cadore appeared to have regained his footing. Shortly before his wife’s death, New York Daily News columnist Jimmy Powers found him working as a salesman, fat and prosperous, “as wide across the beam as a 5th Ave. bus.”27 He told another writer, “Those cherries in those manhattans [are] pretty fattening.”28
   3. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 20, 2020 at 03:55 PM (#5990174)
Nobody’s throwing at you because they can’t get you out.

Maybe the pitchers just didn't like possums.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(2000 - 8:09pm, Dec 02)
Last: Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean

NewsblogLet’s Fix MLB’s Salary Arbitration System: The Arbitrators
(18 - 8:08pm, Dec 02)
Last: Zach

NewsblogIs the Hall leaving out too many players?
(87 - 8:07pm, Dec 02)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogIchiro to coach high school baseball team
(8 - 8:00pm, Dec 02)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogMLB non-tender deadline tracker: Yankees will keep Gary Sanchez; White Sox, Twins, Cubs make notable cuts
(2 - 8:00pm, Dec 02)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10691 - 7:53pm, Dec 02)
Last: Srul Itza

NewsblogA push to recognize the statistics of Black players from baseball’s era of apartheid
(50 - 7:24pm, Dec 02)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogSources: Isiah Kiner-Falefa to replace mainstay Elvis Andrus as starting Rangers shortstop next season
(19 - 5:48pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogTwins place Eddie Rosario on outright waivers
(9 - 5:34pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(226 - 5:00pm, Dec 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-2-2020
(2 - 3:48pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogMets To Sign Trevor May
(1 - 1:45pm, Dec 02)
Last: JJ1986

NewsblogBill James: The Biggest Problem With WAR
(108 - 1:41pm, Dec 02)
Last: Rally

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 2020 Ballot
(6 - 1:31pm, Dec 02)
Last: Michael J. Binkley's anxiety closet

NewsblogSt. Paul Saints to become Twins' top minor-league team; Class AA in Wichita
(8 - 12:42pm, Dec 02)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

Page rendered in 0.2879 seconds
48 querie(s) executed