Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-25-2020

Chattanooga News, November 25, 1920:

Police today were investigating the death of an unidentified women beneath the wheels of an automobile, driven by Jesse Hassell, president of the Dallas Baseball club. Hassell faces a charge of criminal negligence, in causing the woman’s death.

This is the first time I’ve run across Jesse Hassell but I think he may be about to become a Dugout regular. I’ve found stories about him getting drunk and running over four people, having his wife throw acid all over him after she found him with another woman, buying the baseball stadium in Dallas while he was trying to sell the team, injuring two women when he drove into their car, having a restraining order preventing him from driving a car in Dallas County, and having the KKK come out in support of his wife.

He’s the opposite of good-natured drunkard and Dugout regular Tubby Spencer. He’s Evil Tubby.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 25, 2020 at 10:48 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM (#5991076)
I feel like the center fielder on today's Birthday Team is probably pretty good. Not sure about most of the rest of this roster, though.

C: Mike Ryan (-1.2 WAR)
1B: Nick Swisher (21.5 WAR)
2B: Chico Walker (-2.2 WAR)
3B: Jimmy Paredes (-1.3 WAR)
SS: Bucky Dent (17.5 WAR)
LF/SP: Bert Cunningham (11.2 WAR)
CF: Joe DiMaggio (79.1 WAR)
RF: Mark Whiten (14.1 WAR)

SP: Ray Narleski (9.4 WAR)
SP: Frank Corridon (7.9 WAR)
SP: Jakie May (7.8 WAR)
SP: Jim Weaver (5.4 WAR)
RP: Octavio Dotel (15.2 WAR)
RP: Shingo Takatsu (2.1 WAR)

Umpire: Marty Foster
League President: Nakazawa Fujio
Spare Outfielder/Quarterback: Joe Borchard (-1.5 WAR)
Fun Names: Dick Crutcher, Cholly Naranjo
   2. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM (#5991079)
having a restraining order preventing him from driving a car in Dallas County
Yeah, that seems like a good idea.
   3. SoSH U at work Posted: November 25, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5991087)
I feel like the center fielder on today's Birthday Team is probably pretty good. Not sure about most of the rest of this roster, though.

Basically, if you were strictly a position player who didn't have a stint with the Yankees, you sucked.
   4. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: November 25, 2020 at 11:57 AM (#5991093)

Basically, if you were strictly a position player who didn't have a stint with the Yankees, you sucked.

Mark 'Hard Hittin' Whiten was on the 1997 Yankees? HTF did I miss that completely.
   5. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: November 26, 2020 at 12:16 AM (#5991229)
2020 hot take: we will probably (hopefully) get a vaccine in Q1 2020. Demand for tickets will be at a modern all time. Smart teams will take this into account during this depressed period of free agency and should make aggressive bids before the vaccines get approved for distribution (Dec 10th is the date that the NIH will begin considering Phizer's bid for emergency release, I believe). If I were the Mets, I would make my best offers to Realmuto and Springer now while the covid hangover (3b $ loss according to MLB network) is at it's greatest.
   6. puck Posted: November 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM (#5991256)
2020 seems too early though. The vaccine won't be that widely distributed by April, and it could take a while for everyone to be comfortable in crowds again. Things that require commitments, like season tickets, luxury boxes, and stadium ads must be down.
   7. Hank Gillette Posted: November 27, 2020 at 12:32 AM (#5991284)
2020 seems too early though. The vaccine won't be that widely distributed by April, and it could take a while for everyone to be comfortable in crowds again. Things that require commitments, like season tickets, luxury boxes, and stadium ads must be down.

It will take five-six weeks after you get the first dose before your immunity will be built up. I wonder if MLB could get a priority for the players and umpires to get the vaccine say, in February. This would let them start the season on time (without fans) should they want to. I’m guessing that it might be April-May before the vaccines are widely available to anyone who wants to take it, so it might be June before it would be safe for fans to attend games. One big question is whether they will require proof of vaccination before selling people tickets.

This is all speculation now, but I’d be surprised if the schedule goes much faster than that. MLB might just want to delay the start of the season and play a 120-130 game season with fans.
   8. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 27, 2020 at 02:07 PM (#5991326)
There are 3 vaccines now lined up for approval, and 2 more reportedly close to completing phase 3 trials. Could be a lot of vaccine coming out in 1st Quarter 2021, with some folks hanging back a bit to see if there are any problems before getting the vaccine, and a few avoiding it completely for various anti-vax ‘reasons’, so maybe players and those who want to watch them will be vaccinated fairly early, even if not in the high priority categories. Spring Training & early regular season games may have to have limited spectators & other restrictions, but if MLB thinks things will be mostly ‘normal’ around Memorial Day, they might play 162 just to jump start the return to normalcy, figuring to benefit in the long run.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogAlbert Pujols could keep playing to reach 700 career homers: 'If I’m close to it, why not?'
(154 - 9:29pm, Mar 06)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogWe found them: They're the worst team ever
(1 - 9:20pm, Mar 06)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogJake Odorizzi reaches 2-year deal with Houston Astros, source says
(6 - 9:10pm, Mar 06)
Last: DCA

NewsblogMLB suspends free agent Sam Dyson for entire 2021 season
(7 - 8:55pm, Mar 06)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogUniversal DH and expanded postseason unlikely for 2021 MLB season, per report
(33 - 5:49pm, Mar 06)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(903 - 2:42pm, Mar 06)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(1913 - 1:49pm, Mar 06)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogSource: Former Boston Red Sox CF Jackie Bradley Jr. to sign 2-year, $24M deal with Milwaukee Brewers
(28 - 11:58am, Mar 06)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

Sox TherapyA Week Without Me
(2 - 11:22am, Mar 06)
Last: jacksone (AKA It's OK...)

NewsblogBraves revenue fell by almost $300 million last year
(42 - 11:47pm, Mar 05)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12233 - 11:13pm, Mar 05)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-5-2021
(9 - 7:47pm, Mar 05)
Last: puck

NewsblogTrevor Story Rumors: Rockies Contract Extension Won't Happen 'Anytime Soon'
(17 - 12:38pm, Mar 05)
Last: Bourbon Samurai stays in the fight

NewsblogJoe Altobelli dies: Rochester's 'Mr. Baseball' led Orioles to last title
(14 - 9:49am, Mar 05)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogNew report alleges Terry Francona, Chris Antonetti knew about Mickey Callaway’s behavior
(50 - 9:12am, Mar 05)
Last: Jobu is silent on the changeup

Page rendered in 0.3506 seconds
48 querie(s) executed