Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 26, 2011

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-26-2011

New York Times, December 26, 1911:

CHICAGO, Dec. 25.—Adrian C. Anson, Captain of the Chicago baseball team of 1876, and since then one of the best-known figures in the National sport, saved two boys from drowning to-day in the Lagoon in Jackson Park.

“Pop” Anson, as he is known, was playing golf with Dr. E.C. Caldwell when he heard cries for help and saw a boy struggling in the water.  The boy’s companion was trying to rescue him, but in a moment he, too, broke through the ice.

He was playing golf. In Chicago. On Christmas. When it was cold enough for a lagoon to freeze over.

Maybe Anson was no racist.  Maybe he was just insane.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 26, 2011 at 03:11 PM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 26, 2011 at 03:16 PM (#4023480)
Two HOFers on the Birthday Team today:
C: Carlton Fisk
1B: Chris Chambliss
2B: Omar Infante
3B: Jeff King
SS: Ozzie Smith
LF: Jeff Stone
CF: Lee King
RF: White Wings Tebeau

SP: Ray Sadecki
SP: Storm Davis
SP: Al Jackson
SP: Al Milnar
SP: Herman Pillette
RP: Stu Miller

Get Some Antibiotics, That Should Help: Dick Burns
Good Field, No Hit: Mario Mendoza
Not that one: Chris Carpenter
Steel Drivin' Man: John Henry
   2. The Long Arm of Rudy Law Posted: December 26, 2011 at 05:19 PM (#4023528)
So in the real-life version, it was Mr. Potter who saved Harry Bailey's life.
   3. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 26, 2011 at 05:27 PM (#4023533)
Awesome excerpt today.
   4. Tom Nawrocki Posted: December 26, 2011 at 06:00 PM (#4023552)
If I were still in fourth grade, I would find it inordinately funny that Dick Burns and Lee King were on the same team.
   5. Walt Davis Posted: December 26, 2011 at 06:19 PM (#4023568)
Maybe it was bar golf?

Here's the course.
   6. Good cripple hitter Posted: December 26, 2011 at 09:49 PM (#4023661)
Does anyone know of a good resource/FAQ-type webpage for Strat-O-Matic? I got a copy of the Hall of Fame edition (Honus Wagner! Cap Anson! Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown!) for Christmas but I don't really know what the best way of arranging the cards while I'm playing so they can be read and accessed without constantly shuffling through them, or how to sort them when they're in storage (IE, I don't know how to classify multiposition guys like Harmon Killebrew and Josh Gibson).
   7. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 27, 2011 at 03:33 AM (#4023760)
Does anyone know of a good resource/FAQ-type webpage for Strat-O-Matic? I got a copy of the Hall of Fame edition (Honus Wagner! Cap Anson! Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown!) for Christmas but I don't really know what the best way of arranging the cards while I'm playing so they can be read and accessed without constantly shuffling through them, or how to sort them when they're in storage (IE, I don't know how to classify multiposition guys like Harmon Killebrew and Josh Gibson).

Try asking here:

Strat-O-Matic Fan Forum
   8. Good cripple hitter Posted: December 27, 2011 at 05:39 AM (#4023801)
Thanks for the link.
   9. Something Other Posted: December 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM (#4024066)
@5: 25 bucks for a round? Not bad. Not bad at all.
   10. PepTech Posted: December 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM (#4024085)
Just opened my officially licensed MLB/Seattle Mariner Page-A-Day Desk Calendar. First thing I noticed was that each page has no less than four (TM) marks - Compass Rose logo, MLB logo, Seattle Mariners banner, and the first time "Mariners" appears in the text of the day. Did I mention it's officially licensed?

Dec 31/Jan 1: "Mariners(tm) Fact: In 2010, Felix Hernandez became the first Mariners pitcher to win the Cy Young Award."

Sigh.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 8-15, 2022
(48 - 9:30am, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogEjected Twins manager Rocco Baldelli blasts overturned call in loss to Jays as 'one of the worst moments' of umpiring he has ever seen
(23 - 9:20am, Aug 09)
Last: McCoy

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4087 - 8:35am, Aug 09)
Last: spivey

NewsblogNationals burned by quirky 'fourth-out rule' as Pirates score despite lining into inning-ending double play
(67 - 8:31am, Aug 09)
Last: Buck Coats

Sox TherapyDead Line
(29 - 8:14am, Aug 09)
Last: jacksone (AKA It's OK...)

NewsblogRed Sox announcer and Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley to retire from NESN after the 2022 season
(11 - 7:48am, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogSt. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs to play 2-game series in June of 2023 in London
(30 - 7:02am, Aug 09)
Last: Cooper Nielson

NewsblogThis angle of Mets closer Edwin Díaz's absolutely electric bullpen entrance is so darn awesome
(5 - 6:47am, Aug 09)
Last: Cooper Nielson

Gonfalon CubsI guess we're still doing this?
(49 - 5:48am, Aug 09)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogJarren Duran misplays two fly balls, shouts at fans in Red Sox vs. Royals game
(9 - 4:44am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogThe Padres Go for Broke With a Roster of Superstars
(2 - 4:19am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogPete Rose brushes off question about alleged sex with minor: ‘It was 55 years ago, babe’
(77 - 2:35am, Aug 09)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogFangraphs: Jacob deGrom Is Back
(1 - 12:33am, Aug 09)
Last: Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb

NewsblogMiguel Cabrera of Detroit Tigers clarifies stance on future, says he'll return next season as initially planned
(11 - 10:10pm, Aug 08)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogMariners add a free agent: Tucker, the clubhouse dog
(3 - 7:59pm, Aug 08)
Last: A triple short of the cycle

Page rendered in 0.7315 seconds
46 querie(s) executed