Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 11, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-11-2020

Memphis News Scimitar, December 11, 1920:

Arrest and arraignment were expected [in Los Angeles] today in the case of at least one of the four men indicted on charges of criminal conspiracy late yesterday by the Los Angeles county grand jury, after an inquiry of two months’ duration into charges of corruption in Pacific Coast league baseball games in 1919.

That one was W. Baker (“Babe”) Borton, former Vernon first baseman. The other three indicted were Harl V. Magert [sic] and W.G. Rumler, former Salt Lake outfielders, and Nathan Raymond, alleged gambler of Seattle, Wash.

Borton didn’t go to prison, but unsurprisingly his baseball career was over. Maggert was done too, though he was 37 years old at the time. Somehow Bill Rumler escaped with an eight-year suspension instead of a lifetime ban.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 11, 2020 at 08:11 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 11, 2020 at 08:13 AM (#5993690)
A good pitching staff on today's Birthday Team, but not much in the infield.

If you were so inclined, you could get more WAR into the starting lineup by moving Derek Bell to third base and playing Thomas Howard in center. But if you remember what Derek Bell was like as a third baseman, you'd know what an awful idea that would be. Also, truth be told, I like Andy Tracy and I'm the guy making the lineups.

C: Art Wilson (14.5 WAR)
1B: Jay Bell (37.2 WAR)
2B: Johnny O'Brien (0.0 WAR)
3B/Punter: Andy Tracy (-0.5 WAR)
SS: Rob Andrews (0.9 WAR)
LF: Lee Maye (15.7 WAR)
CF: Derek Bell (13.1 WAR)
RF: Bill Nicholson (41.7 WAR)

SP: Old Hoss Radbourn (75.4 WAR)
SP: Fred Toney (25.9 WAR)
SP: Hal Brown (17.5 WAR)
SP: Slim Harriss (13.6 WAR)
SP: Joe Blanton (11.9 WAR)
RP: Mike Henneman (12.9 WAR)

Johnny's Twin Brother: Eddie O'Brien (-1.9 WAR)
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 11, 2020 at 09:20 AM (#5993696)
I've been mostly on social media sabbatical that's coincided with the election. I have a question, though: does the website seem to be on autopilot now? It seems like all the threads for several weeks have been submitted by a tiny number of people. I submitted a Hall of Fame tracker thread a few days ago which didn't show up anywhere, so I'm wondering if the threads getting through are from people who can somehow post their own submissions.
   3. John DiFool2 Posted: December 11, 2020 at 10:45 AM (#5993705)
[stoopid hamsters]
   4. The Mighty Quintana Posted: December 11, 2020 at 11:53 AM (#5993714)
If you wanted to avoid watching Rob Andrews try to hit, you could move Jay Bell back to short, Lee Maye to first, and then Play 90's journeyman Thomas Howard in left.
   5. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 11, 2020 at 01:25 PM (#5993726)
The O'Brien twins are probably best known for being star basketball players at Seattle University. Johnny was the first player in NCAA history to score 1,000 points in a season.

They were primarily infielders (although Eddie spent one year as a very bad centerfielder), but their pitching numbers had a significant effect on their overall WAR figures. Eddie as a position player had a WAR of -2.2, but his pitching WAR of 0.4 (in 16 innings) pulled his overall war up a bit to -1.9. Conversely, Johnny had a WAR as a position player of 0.4, but his -0.4 WAR as a pitcher (in 61 innings) dragged his overall WAR back down to 0.0.
   6. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: December 11, 2020 at 02:36 PM (#5993735)
Does anyone know why, when I try to post to the mock HoF ballot thread, it says that I don't have permission?
   7. Where have you gone Brady Anderson? Posted: December 11, 2020 at 02:52 PM (#5993737)
Earlier, I could edit other people’s posts in the HOF ballot thread. Maybe somethings going wrong in the background.
   8. The Honorable Ardo Posted: December 11, 2020 at 05:53 PM (#5993760)
Bob Sebra's birthday is today. His last major league pitch was a doozy.
   9. Gch Posted: December 11, 2020 at 09:42 PM (#5993776)
I've been mostly on social media sabbatical that's coincided with the election. I have a question, though: does the website seem to be on autopilot now? It seems like all the threads for several weeks have been submitted by a tiny number of people. I submitted a Hall of Fame tracker thread a few days ago which didn't show up anywhere, so I'm wondering if the threads getting through are from people who can somehow post their own submissions.

The same thing happened to me. I submitted a story a few days ago and it never got posted.
   10. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 11, 2020 at 10:12 PM (#5993779)
I submitted a Hall of Fame tracker thread a few days ago which didn't show up anywhere, so I'm wondering if the threads getting through are from people who can somehow post their own submissions.
The same thing happened to me. I submitted a story a few days ago and it never got posted.
Not to be critical of those regularly providing content, but it does appear that those currently doing so either aren’t authorized, or perhaps aren’t inclined, to also green light articles submitted by others, since people have been lamenting the difficulty of getting their submissions posted for quite some time, which probably has resulted in fewer submissions. I’ve made posts in several threads lamenting the lack of a current Hall of Fame Tracker thread, without response by any of the powers-that-be. Unfortunate, but that seems to be the state of the site.
   11. Hank Gillette Posted: December 13, 2020 at 08:35 PM (#5993950)
I have to log in every time I come to the site now.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12738 - 5:09am, Apr 19)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogLast-place New York Yankees off to worst 15-game start since 1997
(3 - 1:23am, Apr 19)
Last: The importance of being Ernest Riles

NewsblogYahoo Sports Braves' Sean Kazmar Jr. makes it back to MLB after 12 years in minor league
(1 - 12:21am, Apr 19)
Last: Cooper Nielson

NewsblogNew York Yankees' Jay Bruce to retire after Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Rays
(17 - 12:17am, Apr 19)
Last: Perry

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the weekend of April 17-18, 2021
(54 - 10:16pm, Apr 18)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogPete Rose to sell picks for baseball, other sports through website
(43 - 9:50pm, Apr 18)
Last: Greg Pope

NewsblogMinnesota Twins, Timberwolves postpone games in wake of police shooting of Daunte Wright
(264 - 9:08pm, Apr 18)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogBlindsided Joe Girardi mum on player's sudden decision to take leave from team
(8 - 8:07pm, Apr 18)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Spring is in the Air
(152 - 7:48pm, Apr 18)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogHow Fernando drew thousands of extra fans
(22 - 7:35pm, Apr 18)
Last: AndrewJ

NewsblogMLB salary down 4.8% in 2 years; top 100 earn half
(16 - 5:01pm, Apr 18)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogWhy the Cubs' awful offense could trigger full rebuild if downward trend continues this summer
(23 - 1:12pm, Apr 18)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(2692 - 11:14pm, Apr 17)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogThe Athletic: Communication failures, poor decisions and messy breakups: How it all went wrong for the Colorado Rockies [$]
(79 - 11:03pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogIn the minors, a major change as the Atlantic League plans to move the mound back a foot
(84 - 10:23pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

Page rendered in 0.3110 seconds
48 querie(s) executed