Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 17, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-17-2020

El Paso Herald, December 17, 1920:

Selection of managers for the Detroit and St. Louis teams was expected to be formally announced. It was considered a certainty that Ty Cobb would be chosen to manager the Tigers, and Lee Fohl was generally mentioned as St. Louis’s selection.
The only objection to the appointment of Cobb has been his peculiar temperament which has made him unpopular with a large number of players. Cobb’s sensational fights upon the diamond have proven considerably unpopular with the baseball fans and it is not known just how his appointment will be received.
Cobb and [former manager Hughie] Jennings, it is understood, were firm friends, but the latter allowed the eccentric star to do whatever he chose and there was never friction between them.

Seems like if you’re Ty Cobb’s boss, you have two choices: Let him do whatever he wants or unsuccessfully try to prevent him from doing whatever he wants.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM (#5994651)
A strong pitching staff on today's Birthday Team, but not much offense once you get past Utley. For whatever it's worth, Ted Trent was born on the day the Wright Brothers made their first flight.

C: Charlie Sands (0.5 WAR)
1B: Chase Utley (64.4 WAR)
2B: Josh Barfield (2.6 WAR)
3B: Leo Cardenas (27.2 WAR)
SS: Jerry Adair (8.4 WAR)
LF: Ray Jablonski (3.0 WAR)
CF/Manager: Rebel Oakes (4.9 WAR)
RF: Curtis Pride (1.2 WAR)

SP: Bill Hutchinson (38.9 WAR)
SP: Ted Trent (NeL All-Star)
SP: Bob Ojeda (24.0 WAR)
SP: Cy Falkenberg (20.3 WAR)
SP: Roy Patterson (14.7 WAR)
RP: Taylor Rogers (5.8 WAR)

Owner: Yoriyasu Arima
Fun name: Bryan Clutterbuck
German for "Eric Corners Steeler": Eric Eckenstahler
The soccer guy's dad: Marvell Wynne
   2. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 17, 2020 at 01:40 PM (#5994668)
I think a better defensive alignment might be to switch Adair and Cardenas. With Cardenas at shortstop, you'd only have one of them playing out of his regular position, and Cardenas won a Gold Glove at shortstop, something Adair never did. Adair played 46 games at third.
   3. Walt Davis Posted: December 17, 2020 at 04:07 PM (#5994718)
I probably say this every year but, for some reason, back in 83-84 I was sure Wynne was gonna be a stud. Maybe he looked the part, maybe it was the great name.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 17, 2020 at 06:45 PM (#5994765)
Ted Trent was born on the day the Wright Brothers made their first flight.

If you want to read a great book about the Wright Brothers, look up David McCullough's. The story itself is fantastic, McCullough is one of our great historical storytellers and the Wrights' story is definitely an "only in America" story.
   5. stevegamer Posted: December 17, 2020 at 08:42 PM (#5994793)
Utley at first seems really odd.
   6. The Honorable Ardo Posted: December 17, 2020 at 09:44 PM (#5994802)
You could put Dan Vogelbach at first and Utley at second.

Ironically, tomorrow is Ty Cobb's birthday. The December 18th team is short on pitching, but the outfield is as easy as ABC:

LF - Ronald Acuna
CF - Byron Buxton
RF - Ty Cobb

That would be a lot of fun to watch.
   7. puck Posted: December 18, 2020 at 10:31 AM (#5994847)
There are still rumors about an Arenado trade though I don't know if these are real or more reporter speculation. Given the contract he signed, and how teams are acting in regards to finances, would anyone take that contract for no return? Say if the Rockies put him on waivers the way the Red Sox years ago put Manny Ramirez on the form of waiver where a team could claim him and just assume his current contract?

Arenado has 6 years, $209 million left on his deal, with the opt out after 2021.

Plus I don't get why Trevor Story would sign an extension if Arenado were traded. I'd suggest a total tear down in trades for prospects except I don't think these guys could a team that way either.
   8. Walt Davis Posted: December 18, 2020 at 06:25 PM (#5994970)
#7 ... essentially all form of waivers are one where a team can claim him and take on the contract. It's more that there are (or used to be, I forget how the deadline works these days), revocable waivers where the team that puts him on waivers can pull him back if claimed or gets to keep him if unclaimed. In every other form of waivers, the player is either flat-out released or is removed from the 40-man and put on assignment. So the Red Sox put Manny on revocable waivers.

Certainly the understanding at the time is that the Red Sox would not have revoked the waiver if somebody had claimed Manny but we'll never know for sure. And it is (was?) very common for stars to be placed on revocable waivers and not get claimed. The Red Sox of course didn't put Manny on "real" waivers because then they would have had to pay him to play for somebody else (after the waiver period expired and he became FA).

But yeah, I expect the Rox will have to eat some money if they want to move Arenado. (and that's on pre-covid terms) He's still owed 6/$200 and it's slightly front-loaded so that's pretty much "full market price" (think Rendon who gets $20 M more over the same years, slightly back-loaded). Even if you bought that $60,000 Mercedes just yesterday, you can't expect somebody to agree to take on your paymeents and give you their 10-year-old Hyundai too. If the Dodgers decide they really need a star replacement for Turner (and aren't willing to trade for Lindor, Seager to 3B) or the Yanks panic, the Rox might find the right fit. Pretty much any team would love to have him in a baseball sense but nobody wants to pay that kind of money.

Just 200 PAs but Arenado's bat was absent in 2020 -- off the charts defense though (and I think statcast agreed).
   9. JJ1986 Posted: December 18, 2020 at 07:44 PM (#5994973)
Aren't there August waivers where you can put someone through a second time and have to give them up if they get claimed?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(2690 - 6:21pm, Apr 17)
Last: Fourth True Outcome

NewsblogPete Rose to sell picks for baseball, other sports through website
(35 - 6:19pm, Apr 17)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Spring is in the Air
(135 - 6:18pm, Apr 17)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the weekend of April 17-18, 2021
(18 - 6:17pm, Apr 17)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogWhy the Cubs' awful offense could trigger full rebuild if downward trend continues this summer
(20 - 6:12pm, Apr 17)
Last: Voodoo

NewsblogMLB salary down 4.8% in 2 years; top 100 earn half
(14 - 5:41pm, Apr 17)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogWhite Sox lefty Carlos Rodon throws no-hitter against Cleveland after losing perfect game in ninth inning
(77 - 5:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogIn the minors, a major change as the Atlantic League plans to move the mound back a foot
(82 - 4:55pm, Apr 17)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogMinnesota Twins, Timberwolves postpone games in wake of police shooting of Daunte Wright
(227 - 4:19pm, Apr 17)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12714 - 3:59pm, Apr 17)
Last: Eudoxus

NewsblogWaiter, there's OMNICHATTER! in my soup!, for April 16, 2021
(40 - 1:58pm, Apr 17)
Last: salvomania

Sox TherapyJust How We Drew It Up
(37 - 1:48pm, Apr 17)
Last: Nasty Nate

NewsblogCardinals' Yadier Molina becomes first MLB player to catch 2,000 games with one team
(45 - 9:30am, Apr 17)
Last: jingoist

NewsblogBlindsided Joe Girardi mum on player's sudden decision to take leave from team
(5 - 9:09am, Apr 17)
Last: jingoist

NewsblogHow Fernando drew thousands of extra fans
(18 - 10:07pm, Apr 16)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

Page rendered in 0.2979 seconds
48 querie(s) executed