Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 27, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-27-2019

Bridgeport Times, December 27, 1919:

Harry Frazee, the Red Sox president, doesn’t seem to be much perturbed about Babe Ruth’s holdout. Ruth is under control for 1920 and 1921 at a salary of $12,000 a year, but his manager recently has announced on the Coast that Ruth would not report to Boston unless he got a new contract for $20,000 next season.

“Ruth still is under contract to the Red Sox,” said Frazee at his New York office yesterday, “I have not heard a word from Ruth that he is dissatisfied with the contract he signed last spring, and I imagine if Ruth is sorely dissatisfied he would tell me first.”

“But I do not intend to get into a discussion with Ruth. His winter manager is trying to get him as much publicity as he can, and I don’t intend to help him.”

I’ve always known Frazee was a doofus - he wouldn’t have sold Ruth otherwise - but I had no idea he was such a dishonest doofus. The Ruth trade was already a done deal at this point.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 09:48 AM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bad ideas, dugout, history, lying liars

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 09:50 AM (#5911178)
A pretty good Birthday Team today. It probably wouldn't be a candidate to win a Birthday League, but it would be comfortably above average.

I've always really liked Chris Gimenez. He's not an impact player, but he can play C/1B/3B/LF/RF competently, draw walks and pop an occasional home run, and soak up some innings in blowouts. There's value in that, even if he's not going to singlehandedly win you games.

C: Ernie Krueger (1.8 WAR)
1B: Norm Larker (5.5 WAR)
2B: Phil Gagliano (2.2 WAR)
3B: Dean Palmer (13.3 WAR)
SS: Craig Reynolds (13.1 WAR)
LF: Roy White (46.8 WAR)
CF: Michael Bourn (22.8 WAR)
RF: Jim Leyritz (7.9 WAR)

SP: Cole Hamels (59.6 WAR)
SP: Jim Tobin (25.9 WAR)
SP: Rick Porcello (19.9 WAR)
SP: Connie Johnson (8.7 WAR)
SP: Jeff D'Amico (5.6 WAR)
RP: Addison Reed (6.1 WAR)

5C Guy/Spare Pitcher: Chris Gimenez (0.3 WAR)
Fun names: Ducky Hemp, Jiggs Parson
   2. PreservedFish Posted: December 27, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5911182)
At least once a week I click on a player from the birthday list, scan the BR page, happen upon the line that says "(Age: 76-000d, Happy Birthday!)" and think to myself, "hey, it's his birthday, what are the odds?!" before realizing why I clicked on his page in the first place.
   3. KJOK Posted: December 27, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5911185)
Negro Leaguer Spottswood Poles might be a better choice for Right Field than Leyritz.
   4. Itchy Row Posted: December 27, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5911186)
It's fourth anniversary of Dave Henderson dying, and the 16th anniversary of Ivan Calderon's death. Neither one seems that long ago.
   5. The Mighty Quintana Posted: December 27, 2019 at 01:05 PM (#5911207)
Spottswood Poles is a great baseball name. I picture a right handed batter curling a home run around the right field fair pole.
   6. AndrewJ Posted: December 27, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5911210)
Lee Mendelson, who created the PEANUTS television specials, has died at 86. Relevant to this group, he also produced a couple of TV documentaries on Willie Mays.
   7. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 27, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5911219)
Craig Reynolds had a strange 5 years or so in Houston, a starting shortstop who gets pushed aside by a Hall of Fame talent, who then suffers crippling injury, and for several years Reynolds's playing time just depends on what Thon can do at that time. He wasn't even a true utility guy - just an extra starting shortstop.

8. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5911232)
3B: Dean Palmer (13.3 WAR)
SS: Craig Reynolds (13.1 WAR)

funny--I remember both of these guys as better players than their lifetime WAR would indicate
   9. DCA Posted: December 27, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5911238)
funny--that seems exactly right to me for both of them. although in the case of Palmer it's because I thought he was about twice as good for about 1/2 as long as he actually was.
   10. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5911248)

funny--I remember both of these guys as better players than their lifetime WAR would indicate

Well Palmer hit 275 HRs, so before we had things like OPS+ and WAR, he seemed better.
   11. Itchy Row Posted: December 27, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5911250)
I would have thought Porcello was closer to 30 WAR. Somebody here mentioned a few days ago that Porcello was really good at getting decisions. Porcello's W-L record (149-117 as a starter and 0-1 as a reliever) is fairly close to Hamels's (163-121, all as a starter) even though Hamels is a lot better and has pitched 657 more innings, made 82 more starts, and lasted longer on average in his starts (6.4 IP to 6.0 IP) than Porcello.

If he gets his next W before he loses 1 WAR or gains 0.8 WAR, Porcello will be the sixth-least valuable 150-win pitcher.
   12. manchestermets Posted: December 27, 2019 at 04:03 PM (#5911258)
Has there been a trade so extensive and so pointless in its reshuffling of mediocrity than the one that send d'Amico to the Mets? 11 players moved around 3 clubs, none of whom had a career bWAR of 20 or above, and most below 5.
   13. Walt Davis Posted: December 27, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5911266)
I've always been a bit intrigued by LHB SS and Reynolds still sits 19th on the all-time WAR list (min 500 games at SS). Arky Vaughan easily leads the way with 73 WAR and most of the other top guys are pre-war guys. The top expansion era guy is Dick McAuliffe at 37.5 WAR, easily ahead of Brandon Crawford's 23.6 (#9 overall). Didi Gregorius should pass Stephen Dreww this year into 15th place and has a good shot at passing Kubek. The "surprise" might be Ozzie Guillen at #11 overall with 21 WAR -- surprise to me in part because I thought he was a switch-hitter and in part because while I knew he was a good defender, I didn't think it was good enough to counter-act that much atrocious hitting. For kicks, if we go by oWAR, Didi is already at #12, Crawford falls all the way to #15 and Ozzie still hangs on at #19.

Note, if we require at least 1000 games at SS, the entire list is reduced to just 8 players, one of them Reynolds. McAuliffe and Didi (828 g) are both gone. In WAR order it's Vaughan, Joe Sewell, Herman Long, Crawford, Guillen, Al Bridwell, Drew and Reynolds.
   14. Walt Davis Posted: December 27, 2019 at 05:22 PM (#5911279)
So in my idle moments, I sometimes think about the following:

All-time lineups for RHB only, LHB only and SHB (who obviously come up short), including a DH.
But ... the RHB lineup gets to use the all-time LHP pitching staff, the LHB lineup gets to use the all-time RHP staff and the SHB teams gets to use both pitching staffs, depending on which of the other teams they play.
Then somebody geeky and way too much free time can simulate a massive round-robin among those three.

I assume that the platoon dis/advantage can't possibly be enough to make up the ground between the SHB lineup and the other two but I'd be curious how much it helps. (One issue is that to be an all-time great LHB, you probably had to hit LHP pretty well.) But I'd also be curious as to the outcome of the two main teams.

3B is one position where it's kinda even. (CF the other obvious one) RHB is obviously Schmidt (unless you want to play ARod there); LHB has a choice of Mathews, Boggs and Brett; SHB has Chipper. Schmidt still wins handily but at least you've got no-doubt HoFers on all three teams. Using JAWS definitions

C: Bench, Berra (Dickey, Mauer), Simmons
1B: Pujols (Foxx), Gehrig, Roger Connor (Murray)
2B: Hornsby, Collins (Morgan), Alomar (Frisch)
SS: Wagner (ARod), Vaughan, G Davis (Ozzie)
3B: Schmidt, Mathews, Chipper
CF: Mays, Cobb, Mantle
OFR: Rickey, Hank
OFL: Bonds, Ruth
OFB: Rose, R Smith
DH: Williams/Musial/Speaker, F Robinson, ??? (Murray I guess)

Interestingly, if we went with post-expansion, the LHB team might lose the most. The drop from Gehrig to Thome is about 40 WAR, the drop from Vaughan to McAuliffe/Crawford is another 35-50 WAR. Griffey was no slouch but it's 70 fewer WAR than Cobb and 50 fewer than Speaker (probably not so bad if we limit to peak). And they lose Ruth, Williams and Musial too.

Note Mays played well into the expansion era and put up 88 WAR after 1960 so he stays in. Mantle is probably out though.

EDIT: Oops, overlooked Beltran and Raines who could take DH from Murray (or more likley LF from Rose with Rose going to DH)
   15. Rennie's Tenet Posted: December 27, 2019 at 09:34 PM (#5911309)
and put up 88 WAR after 1960

One of those numbers that just smacks you across the face.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.