Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 1-12-2012

In the Calgary Daily Herald, January 12, 1912, an account of the Western Canada League discussing ways to compile and disseminate statistics more quickly:

[Edmonton outfielder] Chesty Cox then threw out his chest, and after splattering a quart of Pay Roll juice on the office floor and muttering a few words about the benefit of cuspidors in all churches, he glued his eye on the writer he said…“It is not [league president] Eckstrom’s fault in most cases that the averages are not on deck at eight bells. The big leagues suffer from cramps over the averages and all presidents have their own troubles getting them out, but it is mostly the fault of the scorers. They neglect to send in the scores and the dope sheet is put on the hummer, and there is war in the camp.

“If you guys want to get the candy kids to send in their dope sheets right on the lick…you just provide each of them with a swell dame as an assistant. She could perch on his kneelers and tell him how ‘dear Chesty made home on a homer three times each game’ and how ‘Chan broke a hickory by beating the pill to the Macleod trail.” She could then accompany him to a swell hash at the Chink’s and in the gloaming warm up a chair at his desk, filling in the manuscript while the dub scorer slung out the necessary.”

I get the impression Chesty Cox would have been a fun guy to hang out with, just so you could hear him talk like this all the time.

Yes, there was actually a person named Chesty Cox. I looked it up, and I made sure not to do so from my work computer. I didn’t want to be responsible for what Google found.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 12, 2012 at 05:14 AM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, minor leagues

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 12, 2012 at 05:26 AM (#4034906)
Birthday team has a couple of my favorite ballplayers, Hauser and Candaele. One was a truly great hitter who didn't get the big league career he deserved, the other was a marginal talent who didn't even get drafted, yet was able to put together a decent 9-year career mostly by way of sheer determination.

C: Admiral Schlei
1B: Joe Hauser
2B: Casey Candaele
3B: Tim Hulett
SS: Bobby Crosby
LF: Henry Larkin
CF: Ed Swartwood
RF: Dodgers Mike Marshall

SP: Togie Pittinger
SP: Randy Jones
SP/PH: Dontrelle Willis
SP: Scott Olsen
SP: Nat Hudson
RP: Luis Ayala

1176 career hits, but the odd man out in an outfield logjam: George Browne
Tools out the wazoo, but not much of a ballplayer: Reggie Taylor
Not a Flintstones character, but probably should be: Phil Mudrock
Fun name: Chub Sullivan
Senior advisor to team management: My dad
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 12, 2012 at 08:59 AM (#4034956)
LHP Renyel Pinto signs with the Softbank Hawks of Japan. Softbank - where you can open a free checking account and receive a complimentary pillow.
   3. JJ1986 Posted: January 12, 2012 at 09:17 AM (#4034975)
Russell Wilson is retiring to go play in the NFL. He had very little chance of making it in baseball.
   4. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 12, 2012 at 09:31 AM (#4034983)
Well, I guess the good news is that he didn't go all Drew Henson, make the wrong choice, and screw up both potential careers.

I didn't know Wilson even played baseball until yesterday. What were the scouting reports on him? The stats suggest a guy whose ceiling was something like a poor man's Lance Blankenship. Was there any feeling that he'd hit for power, or was he just the speedy, solid glove, low-BA, no-power walk machine that the numbers show?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Gonfalon CubsI guess we're still doing this?
(49 - 5:48am, Aug 09)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogEjected Twins manager Rocco Baldelli blasts overturned call in loss to Jays as 'one of the worst moments' of umpiring he has ever seen
(19 - 5:44am, Aug 09)
Last: 57i66135 is a hard word for me.

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 8-15, 2022
(46 - 4:51am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogJarren Duran misplays two fly balls, shouts at fans in Red Sox vs. Royals game
(9 - 4:44am, Aug 09)

NewsblogThe Padres Go for Broke With a Roster of Superstars
(2 - 4:19am, Aug 09)

NewsblogThis angle of Mets closer Edwin Díaz's absolutely electric bullpen entrance is so darn awesome
(4 - 3:45am, Aug 09)
Last: Swoboda is freedom

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4084 - 2:52am, Aug 09)
Last: 57i66135 is a hard word for me.

NewsblogPete Rose brushes off question about alleged sex with minor: ‘It was 55 years ago, babe’
(77 - 2:35am, Aug 09)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogFangraphs: Jacob deGrom Is Back
(1 - 12:33am, Aug 09)
Last: Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb

NewsblogMiguel Cabrera of Detroit Tigers clarifies stance on future, says he'll return next season as initially planned
(11 - 10:10pm, Aug 08)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogRed Sox announcer and Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley to retire from NESN after the 2022 season
(10 - 9:02pm, Aug 08)
Last: Jay Seaver

Sox TherapyDead Line
(28 - 8:12pm, Aug 08)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogMariners add a free agent: Tucker, the clubhouse dog
(3 - 7:59pm, Aug 08)
Last: A triple short of the cycle

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 1-7, 2022
(394 - 7:28pm, Aug 08)
Last: Banta

NewsblogTo challenge their hitters to improve, Orioles minor league coaches go to great lengths to develop 'nasty stuff' for batting practice
(2 - 6:10pm, Aug 08)
Last: Tom Goes to the Ballpark

Page rendered in 0.3728 seconds
45 querie(s) executed