Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, January 17, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 1-17-2020

Chattanooga News, January 17, 1920:

Baseball players in the American association will be permitted next season to argue in a “gentlemanly” manner with umpires when they believe close decisions have been given against them, but the use of profanity will be stamped out, the club owners decided at their adjourned meeting today.

President Hickey said players would be let off with warnings at their first offense, but if they persisted in using objectionable language, heavy fines would be assessed.

“We have decided all ‘rough’ work and profane talk must be stopped,” he said.

“Pardon me, sir, but it is my sincere belief that the most recent pitch crossed the plate below my knees. With all due respect, I would suggest that you have made a mistake and the pitch should have been ruled a ball. Thank you for your time and attention.”

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 17, 2020 at 10:35 AM (#5916865)
Louis Santop is the main attraction on today's Birthday Team. Santop was a fantastic ballplayer, perhaps the best catcher in Negro Leagues history not named Josh Gibson. (Santop was a better hitter than Biz Mackey, but nobody beats the Biz defensively. They're about even, IMO, and there's no wrong choice between the two.)

C: Louis Santop (0 WAR)
1B: Darrell Porter (40.9 WAR)
2B: Denny Doyle (3.8 WAR)
3B: Tyler Houston (1.4 WAR)
SS: Don Zimmer (2.7 WAR)
LF: Harry Bay (11.1 WAR)
CF: Hank Leiber (14.4 WAR)
RF: Chili Davis (38.3 WAR)

SP: Trevor Bauer (15.6 WAR)
SP: Lum Harris (4.4 WAR)
SP: Blake Beavan (1.7 WAR)
SP: Jocko Thompson (1.2 WAR)
SP: Rob Bell (-0.6 WAR)
RP: Mark Littell (6.5 WAR)

Manager/Fun name: Mayo Smith
Fun names: Cad Coles, Holly Hollingshead, Yohander Mendez, Tripp Sigman
Fun name/Game show host's son: Pete LaCock
Fun nickname: Mikado Milt Scott
Former Mid-American Conference players: Emmanuel Burriss (Kent State), Jeff Tabaka (Kent State), Mark Malaska (Akron)
German for "Cabbagey Miller": Kohly Miller
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: January 17, 2020 at 10:51 AM (#5916871)
Annual giving of props to Mayo Smith for moving Mickey Stanley to short for the 1968 Series.
   3. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: January 17, 2020 at 11:18 AM (#5916880)
Annual giving of props to Mayo Smith for moving Mickey Stanley to short for the 1968 Series.

and yet, less than a year later we hear (in Ball Four) Norm Cash telling Don Mincher "Mayo Smith has got to be the dumbest manager in baseball"
   4. The Mighty Quintana Posted: January 17, 2020 at 12:54 PM (#5916930)
"Most of the managers are lifetime .220 hitters. For years pitchers have been getting these managers out 75% of the time and that's why they don't like us." -Bill Lee (wonder who he was referring to?)
   5. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 17, 2020 at 01:10 PM (#5916940)
The Rockies just announced that they are retiring Larry Walker's No. 33. I suppose if he doesn't get elected to the Hall of Fame next week, this is a nice consolation prize.
   6. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: January 17, 2020 at 04:56 PM (#5917032)
David Glass, former owner of the Royals, dead at 84.
   7. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 17, 2020 at 04:59 PM (#5917033)
The Chicago Cubs are reported to be interested in Jacoby Ellsbury.
   8. Walt Davis Posted: January 17, 2020 at 05:13 PM (#5917037)
argue in a “gentlemanly” manner

To whom it may concern, I sincerely believe that if the league were to place moving picture cameras in the vicinity of each base, the appointed arbiters would be able to view each play a second or even third time to assure that their deicison is accurate. If I may relate a story from last season, a Mr Gene Paulette was attempting to pilfer second base when our noble catcher did bullet the pill promptly to my glove. While Mr Paulette did nonetheless safely tag the sack prior to my application of the leather to his person there was subsequently a millisecond during which he was no longer in contact with the pillow while my "tag" was still in place on his personage. If justice prevailed, he would have been declared out at this moment but he was not. I repeat, he was not, sir!

I believe matters such as this could be justly decided with the aid of this recently developed technology of moving picture cameras. There will need to be some delay while the film is properly processed but I firmly believe this delay will be very brief. Besides sir, as you surely know, our games usually last for only about 90 minutes and we are regularly hearing complaints from our fanatics that they would prefer to spend more time at the ballpark. Further the team owners might take advantage of these delays to sell more peanuts, tonics, and, should the current madness end soon, beer. I further believe that this opportunity to re-view plays will bring a prompt end to the frequent squablles arising from innocent disagreements.

Sincerely,
National League short stop (Mrs.)
   9. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 17, 2020 at 05:48 PM (#5917046)
Nobody has worn 33 for the Rockies since they traded Walker away in 2004, with the exception of Justin Morneau, a fellow Canadian who specifically asked for permission to wear it.
   10. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 17, 2020 at 05:56 PM (#5917048)
The Chicago Cubs are reported to be interested in Jacoby Ellsbury.
They must have read the Gonfalon thread. That would sure show Moses.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.