Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, January 06, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 1-6-2012

Milwaukee Journal, January 6, 1912:

Ed Ashenbach, minor league manager for many years and rated the best clown in baseball, may lose his mind. He is seriously ill of paresis at his home here today. Ashenbach managed the Syracuse club last season until he suffered a nervous breakdown in July.

Ashenbach died a little over a year later. He was a rarity in the early 20th century: A well-respected and successful minor league manager who appears not to have played pro baseball. He owned two teams in the South Atlantic League and, unless some sort of early 20th century comedy style eludes me, was also a bowler.

Alas, I can’t find specific examples of his clowning.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 06, 2012 at 04:25 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 06, 2012 at 04:29 AM (#4030152)
Birthday team is uniformly blech among the position players. Good front-end pitching, though:
C: Phil Masi
1B: Scott Thorman
2B: Marlon Anderson
3B: Chuck Workman
SS: Ruben Amaro the Elder
LF: Lee Walls
CF: Lenny Green
RF: George Shoch

SP: Early Wynn
SP: Don Gullett
SP: Ralph Branca
SP: Joe Lake
SP: Casey Fossum
RP: Norm Charlton
RP: Tom Ferrick

LOOGY: Alvin Morman
   2. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 06, 2012 at 04:40 AM (#4030154)
Across town in the Milwaukee Sentinel 100 years ago:
[Cleveland catcher] Paddy Livingston notes the fact that Rubber Krapp issued more passes than any other American league pitcher during the 1911 campaign and remarks that he can steady the young spit ball pitcher and cause him to secure better control of the moist leather.

[Livingston says] "From what I saw of Krapp last season, his wildness is not so bad...I'll bet he has got a lot more of these good games stored away in that chunky body of his."
And not baseball-related, but made me laugh out loud as a lifelong soccer fan:
Soccer football is the new sun that is arising over the horizon of the sport world.
Forget the '70s...that absurd hype was going on 100 years ago.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 06, 2012 at 09:19 AM (#4030208)
Rockies trade P Greg Reynolds to Texas for the manager's son - 1B Chad Tracy

Rays sign RHP Fernando Rodney - 1 year $1.75 mill with an option

Mariners sign RHP Hisashi Iwakuma - 1 year $1.5 mill

Dodgers sign RHP Mike MacDougal - 1 year $1 mill

Mariners sign 3B Greg Dobbs - 2 years $3 mill

Mets re-sign OF Scott Hairston - 1 year $1.1 mill

Minor league deals
Mariners sign Softbank Hawks IF Munenori Kawasaki
Pirates sign LHP JoJo Reyes and IF Anderson Hernandez
D'Backs sign 1B Mike Jacobs
Cubs sign IF Edgar Gonzalez and OF Joe Mather
Rox sign 3B Brendan Harris
Angels sign RHP Eric Hurley and OF Ryan Langerhans
Marlins sign P Chad Gaudin
Brewers sign IF Cesar Izturis
Twins sign OF Steve Pearce and 3B Sean Burroughs
Mets sign LHP Chuck James and IF Omar Quintanilla
A's sign LHP Fabio Castro and P Merkin Valdez

4. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: January 06, 2012 at 09:34 AM (#4030219)
I genuinely had no idea MacDougal was still in the league. I don't watch much West Coast baseball and the Nats annoy me*, so the last time I saw him, he had totally lost the strike zone and pitched his way off the White Sox roster.

(* - Not the Nats per se, just the way MLB hosed Montreal. I have a long memory about such things, especially because it just as easily could have been my team 15 years earlier.)
   5. JJ1986 Posted: January 06, 2012 at 09:34 AM (#4030220)
Rockies trade P Greg Reynolds to Texas for the manager's son - 1B Chad Tracy

There have been some bad 1st round draft picks recently, but I don't think anything was worse than taking Reynolds with Longoria sitting there as the top guy on the board.
   6. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: January 06, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4030239)
There have been some bad 1st round draft picks recently, but I don't think anything was worse than taking Reynolds with Longoria sitting there as the top guy on the board.

Man, there was a lot of pitching talent, or more specifically, lots of guys who have been good MLB pitchers and look to continue to be good MLB pitchers, in that draft:

Lincecum
Kershaw
IPK
Trevor Cahill
Justin Masterson
Andrew Bailey
Doug Fister
Mike Leake
Mat Latos (11th round)
David Robertson (17th round)
Derek Holland (25th round)

7. Cris E Posted: January 06, 2012 at 10:41 AM (#4030293)
Rubber Krapp issued more passes than any other American league pitcher during the 1911 campaign and remarks that he can steady the young spit ball pitcher and cause him to secure better control of the moist leather.

I think the fact that Rubber was a spitter just makes that story perfect. He kind of had to be, all things considered. Moist leather indeed.
   8. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 06, 2012 at 11:21 AM (#4030352)
Moist leather indeed

I get the feeling that the writers knew exactly what they were writing.

My favorite leather joke:

Dirty Little Johnnie: Teacher, teacher, what does it mean when it says "Robin Hood tore his leather?"
Teacher: Can you read me sentence, Johnnie?
DLJ: OK, if you insist. "Ready to do battle against the evil Sir Guy, Robin Hood tore his leather jerkin off".
   9. Johnny Slick Posted: January 06, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4030387)
Rubber Krapp? I BARELY KNOW HER BODEO DODEO DOOOOOOOOOO

I think this story becomes around 20 times more awesome once you check the Wiki link:

Originally, the cause was believed to be an inherent weakness of character or constitution. While Esmarch and Jessen[disambiguation needed ] had asserted as early as 1857 that syphilis caused general paresis, progress toward the general acceptance by the medical community of this idea was only accomplished later by the eminent nineteenth-century syphilographer Alfred Fournier (1832–1914). In 1913 all doubt about the syphilitic nature of paresis was finally eliminated when Noguchi and Moore[disambiguation needed ] demonstrated the syphilitic spirochaetes in the brains of paretics

This article had to have been just about the last article anyone could have written for this magazine about paresis. In another year, it would have been too obvious that it was a euphemism for "Old Bob is dying of an STD". At this point they still had plausible deniability, at least.
   10. Der-K's tired of these fruits from poisoned trees Posted: January 06, 2012 at 02:10 PM (#4030610)
Rizzo to the Cubs with Zach Cates for Andrew Cashner and Kyung-Min Na.
   11. SouthSideRyan Posted: January 06, 2012 at 02:14 PM (#4030622)
Considering the Cubs were probably going to waste Cashner in the pen, I reallllly love that trade. I still think Cashner can hack it as a starter, but I understand thinking he won't hold up.
   12. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 06, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4030672)
VERY INTERESTING.

Rumors are the O's may be interested in Alfonso Soriano, but the Cubs would have to eat eleventy billion dollars to make it happen. The return I imagine would be Mike Fontenot and Jerry Hairston?
   13. SouthSideRyan Posted: January 06, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4030705)
And Dave Crouthers who will retire immediately.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(154 - 12:50am, Aug 20)
Last: Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all

NewsblogAthletics release Andrus in final year of $120M deal
(22 - 12:03am, Aug 20)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogVideo shows Tony La Russa may have listened to fan in stands before putting pinch runner in
(31 - 11:00pm, Aug 19)
Last: Barry`s_Lazy_Boy

NewsblogTwo no-hitters in one game. How?
(8 - 9:52pm, Aug 19)
Last: Cooper Nielson

NewsblogThe Six-Man Rotation May Be Baseball’s Next Evolutionary Step
(10 - 7:57pm, Aug 19)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(48 - 7:56pm, Aug 19)
Last: Mefisto

NewsblogAfter 19 Years of ‘Managing,’ He Finally Gets to Be a Manager
(4 - 7:18pm, Aug 19)
Last: mathesond

NewsblogBraves get an early jump on Dansby Swanson extension talks
(8 - 7:17pm, Aug 19)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogAtlanta Braves player Marcell Ozuna arrested for DUI
(4 - 5:57pm, Aug 19)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogHe got a job via LinkedIn -- Major League player
(13 - 5:20pm, Aug 19)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogTop 100 prospects updated 2022 midseason rankings
(21 - 5:15pm, Aug 19)
Last: BDC

NewsblogSources: New York Mets to call up touted 3B prospect Brett Baty
(13 - 2:51pm, Aug 19)
Last: asinwreck

NewsblogJoey Votto to have season-ending shoulder surgery on torn rotator cuff
(52 - 1:07pm, Aug 19)
Last: DanG

NewsblogJosh Donaldson delivers for New York Yankees with grand slam walk-off in 10th inning
(6 - 11:01am, Aug 19)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogYankees four-time All-Star Dellin Betances retires
(7 - 11:27pm, Aug 18)
Last: mex4173

Page rendered in 0.4267 seconds
45 querie(s) executed