Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 19, 2021

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 2-19-2021

New York Tribune, February 19, 1921:

President Andy Lawson, of the Continental Baseball Association, announced [yesterday] that the Boston franchise of the league had been awarded to George F. Day and Lincoln G. Pope. They will have a negro team to represent [Boston], he said, and pending the building of grounds the Boston club will play on the Everett High School field.

The Knoxville Giants, playing at Brooklyn, will be a second negro club in the league, Lawson announced.

I’ve said it before, but it’s a huge bummer people didn’t get behind this league. It really could have sped up integration of the white major leagues.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 19, 2021 at 01:17 PM | 12 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 19, 2021 at 01:18 PM (#6005843)
A weak Birthday Team today. A couple times a year, I'm reminded that two different people named Bob Sadowski played in the big leagues in 1963. The odds against that have to be astronomical.

I looked it up; there are 122 people in the United States named Robert Sadowski or Bob Sadowski. I didn't spend any time looking into Bobbys Sadowski or Robbies Sadowski or any other minor variant.

There are 120 Steve/Steven/Stephen Ontiveroses, so if the Steves Ontiveros had overlapped it would have been at least as unlikely.

C: Chris Stewart (1.3 WAR)
1B: Gail Hopkins (3.2 WAR)
2B/Manager: John Morrill (23.0 WAR)
3B: Josh Fuentes (1.0 WAR)
SS: Alvaro Espinoza (3.9 WAR)
LF: Dick Siebert (7.0 WAR)
CF: Don Taussig (0.4 WAR)
RF: Josh Reddick (25.0 WAR)

SP: Dave Stewart (26.5 WAR)
SP: Miguel Batista (12.6 WAR)
SP: Daniel Megden (2.1 WAR)
SP: Tom Earley (0.9 WAR)
SP: Bob Sadowski (1.0 WAR)
RP: Tim Burke (12.1 WAR)
RP: Dan Otero (4.9 WAR)
RP: Keith Atherton (4.4 WAR)

Fun name: Uke Clanton
Scout/Fun name/Place where you lay down after you drop acid: Trip Couch
Broadcaster: Dave Niehaus
General Manager: Walt Jocketty
   2. Itchy Row Posted: February 19, 2021 at 01:37 PM (#6005846)
There are 17 George Griffeys, and two of them were teammates with the Mariners, who also drafted a third one.
   3. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 19, 2021 at 01:42 PM (#6005849)
There are 17 George Griffeys

There are more George Formans than that in one family!
   4. Nasty Nate Posted: February 19, 2021 at 01:55 PM (#6005852)
Notable antagonist of Wuatt Earp...
   5. JJ1986 Posted: February 19, 2021 at 01:59 PM (#6005855)
There are 13 people in the U.S. named Jeff D'Amico and two of them were right-handed pitchers active at the same time.
   6. vortex of dissipation Posted: February 19, 2021 at 06:49 PM (#6005913)

A one game MLB career, highly forgettable (he played ten years in the minors). One at bat, one strikeout; two innings in the field at first base, one error in two chances.
   7. puck Posted: February 21, 2021 at 02:23 PM (#6006108)
Would it be worth it for Dan or RoyalsRetro to post this Goldstein article?

Which Kinds of Prospects Were Most Affected by the Year Off?

Seems like it might be a good kick off for an interesting question.

Young guys returned from service in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, but I guess they'd be hard to draw any info on as we only know about the guys who did that and made the majors. But maybe there's anecdotal info their from biographies.

It doesn't seem to have phased Al Bumbry, who seems like the kind of guy who'd be hurt by missed time. According to his SABR Bio, he only played baseball as a senior in college. He had been focused on basketball.

He got out of the army and proceeded to OPS .947 at Aberdeen, then tear up Asheville and Rochester the next season. Then he was an Oriole. As Bumbry puts it:

The only way I can describe it in terms of baseball is people say, ‘Gee whiz, you missed two years of your baseball career.’ I say, ‘No, I didn’t.’ Why? Because before I went to Vietnam, I was in a Class A league, and I hit .178. And then I come back, and, in a year and a half, I was in the major leagues. So I can’t complain.

So I guess the lesson here is to take those inexperienced but toolsy guys and press them into services with life-threatening responsibilities. They should have all been working ICU's in 2020. Or working the meat packing plants.
   8. Rennie's Tenet Posted: February 22, 2021 at 11:57 AM (#6006213)
The streaming service Pluto TV has a 24/7 Price Is Right channel. Right now this guy is a contestant and in the showcase:

Jim Tyrone

He said he's been in Japan four years, so it must be a 1982/1983 episode.
   9. SoSH U at work Posted: February 22, 2021 at 12:10 PM (#6006214)
Apparently, college baseball has instituted a rule that if a player makes an effort to get hit by a pitch (a real issue at the high school level, I know, and I'm sure at the college one), the pitch is automatically a strike.

Needless to say, this has led to immediate here.]controversy[/url].

I've long advocated that players should not be required to get out of the way to earn a HBP if a ball is thrown in the batter's box, but also that a player who gets hit with a pitch outside the zone should not be awarded one.

As for this particular scenario, I think a simple ball if the ball is in the box, a strike if it's outside would suffice. It's less of a worry at the big league level, as you don't find the blatant examples of trying to "wear it" that you do at a few of the lower levels.

10. Karl from NY Posted: February 22, 2021 at 03:03 PM (#6006240)
I always saw Jeter as a master of exploiting that - spinning his backside into a pitch to get hit, violently enough to look like he was trying to move away but really wasn't.
   11. SoSH U at work Posted: February 22, 2021 at 03:28 PM (#6006243)

I always saw Jeter as a master of exploiting that - spinning his backside into a pitch to get hit, violently enough to look like he was trying to move away but really wasn't.

Don Baylor mastered the quarter-shoulder turn.

I just noticed that link is all messed up. The story is here.
   12. Ron J Posted: February 22, 2021 at 06:59 PM (#6006274)
Ron Hunt got so good at it that at some point the league sent a directive to the umpires. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was basically, Watch Hunt. He's twisting into the pitch. After which his HBP rate dropped back to merely high from unbelievably high.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(913 - 5:32pm, Mar 08)
Last: Richard

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(1938 - 5:30pm, Mar 08)
Last: tshipman

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers' Trevor Bauer pitches shutout inning vs. San Diego Padres with one eye closed
(23 - 5:15pm, Mar 08)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogAlbert Pujols could keep playing to reach 700 career homers: 'If I’m close to it, why not?'
(166 - 5:14pm, Mar 08)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogMLB suspends free agent Sam Dyson for entire 2021 season
(13 - 5:07pm, Mar 08)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12245 - 4:09pm, Mar 08)
Last: .

Sox TherapyA Week Without Me
(7 - 3:03pm, Mar 08)
Last: Darren

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-8-2021
(3 - 2:34pm, Mar 08)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogJake Odorizzi reaches 2-year deal with Houston Astros, source says
(16 - 12:32pm, Mar 08)
Last: The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV)

NewsblogUniversal DH and expanded postseason unlikely for 2021 MLB season, per report
(35 - 8:07pm, Mar 07)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogWe found them: They're the worst team ever
(4 - 1:06pm, Mar 07)
Last: puck

NewsblogSource: Former Boston Red Sox CF Jackie Bradley Jr. to sign 2-year, $24M deal with Milwaukee Brewers
(28 - 11:58am, Mar 06)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogBraves revenue fell by almost $300 million last year
(42 - 11:47pm, Mar 05)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-5-2021
(9 - 7:47pm, Mar 05)
Last: puck

NewsblogTrevor Story Rumors: Rockies Contract Extension Won't Happen 'Anytime Soon'
(17 - 12:38pm, Mar 05)
Last: Bourbon Samurai stays in the fight

Page rendered in 0.3449 seconds
48 querie(s) executed