Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 03, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 2-3-2017

Chicago Eagle, February 3, 1917:

Bill Byron, the singing umpire, who says there hasn’t been a single kick against his decisions since October, tells a new story on himself.
He umpired in Newark one day and in the course of the game he called a man out at the plate on a close play. The player arose, dusted off his uniform, and then pointing to the chimney which towers high over the field, he said to Byron: “Bill, I ain’t sayin’ nothin’ to you. I ain’t makin’ no kick or nothin’, but I hope that that chimney falls on you and hits you one brick at a time.”

Bill says the hope was so soothing and so original that he did not put the player out of the game.

If I were the umpire, not only would I not have ejected the guy, I’d have had difficulty keeping a straight face.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 03, 2017 at 12:31 PM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, umpires

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: February 03, 2017 at 12:35 PM (#5395324)
Another solid Birthday Team today, though the pitching staff is a bit thin.

C: Lou Criger (10.7 WAR)
1B: Lucas Duda (5.86 WAR)
2B: Rougned Odor (2.67 WAR)
3B: Joe Stripp (14.02 WAR)
SS/Manager: Dick Tracewski (3.07 WAR)
LF: Skip Schumaker (1.44 WAR)
CF: Fred Lynn (49.95 WAR)
RF: Bake McBride (22.55 WAR)

SP: Slim Sallee (32.55 WAR)
SP: Joe Coleman (23.71 WAR)
SP: Harry Byrd (3.89 WAR)
SP: Buck Ross (1.4 WAR)
SP: Don Kaiser (0.74 WAR)
RP: Joe Klink (0.69 WAR)

Fun name: Chicken Hawks, Live Oak Taylor
GM: Larry MacPhail
Not that one: Mike Wallace, Terry Bradshaw
   2. BDC Posted: February 03, 2017 at 12:44 PM (#5395327)
The Robins were given a "coat of whitewash" by "Pop" Haines in St. Louis on 3 August 1927. Haines scattered eight hits and beat Brooklyn 4-0. The Cardinals' batting star was Roscoe Holm, who went 2-for-3 with a double and a triple. Twenty-one years later, Holm, "depressed and deranged," as the newspapers had it, would kill his wife and himself in a murder-suicide, injuring their teenage daughter in the process.

A different Cardinal featured in Thomas Holmes' sidebar story in the Daily Eagle, shortstop Heinie Schuble. "The big leagues are pulling for Schubel [sic] to make good. The fans like his name. … There is nothing more German than the name of Heinie Schubel. It will bring back cherished memories to some of the old-timers." Some of this sportswriting is really not very good.

Front-page news: the death sentence for Sacco and Vanzetti (many years after their initial conviction). From Ruth Snyder to Lindbergh to Coolidge to Sacco & Vanzetti, the summer of '27 was full of news stories that would resonate for a long time.
   3. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: February 03, 2017 at 01:23 PM (#5395365)
Baseball star Pete Rose has been alive exactly as long as Halley's Comet last trip took (27,689 days).

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is exactly as old as Bill Veeck was the day his foot was amputated (11,953 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up how old they are here.
   4. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: February 03, 2017 at 02:47 PM (#5395438)
That Newark player sounds an awful lot like Jack Keefe...
   5. Perry Posted: February 03, 2017 at 04:53 PM (#5395497)
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is exactly as old as Bill Veeck was the day his foot was amputated (11,953 days).

Sadly, Veeck was just getting started.
   6. Hysterical & Useless Posted: February 06, 2017 at 07:11 PM (#5396836)
I’d have had difficulty keeping a straight face.

This reminds me of the time when I was a kid and had done something really stupid (yeah, there were many times when I'd done something really stupid, but this was particularly egregious) and my grandfather, whom I dearly, dearly loved, said to me "You're so smart. You wouldn't know how to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions was written on the heel." He was absolutely right, I knew at the time he was absolutely right, but my gawd it was so hard to keep from cracking up. Fortunately, I managed to keep a straight face. And I cherish that memory.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.