Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-6-2021

Richmond Times-Dispatch, April 6, 1921:

Blackman, a one-legged youth, was the star in a baseball game between the Durham [NC] and West Durham High School teams, played in [Durham yesterday]. He is the regular catcher for the West Durham team, receiving the ball while perched on the short leg which has been amputated just below the knee. Besides playing errorless ball, he obtained two hits and stole two bases.

I’m not trying to be snarky or make light of his injury, but he would have been wearing a prosthetic when he stole those bases, right? It’s impressive either way, but I can’t even fathom a person stealing a base on one leg.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:45 PM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:47 PM (#6011989)
Today's Birthday Team features two Hall of Fame catchers and two Hall of Famers atop the starting rotation. Mickey Cochrane is in left field because he spent five innings out there once and Ernie Lombardi was the least athletic human being in the history of the planet. Feel free to use Iida at first base or right field; he's probably a better player than Phillips or Williams.

C: Ernie Lombardi (39.5 WAR)
1B: Andy Phillips (0.4 WAR)
2B: Bret Boone (22.8 WAR)
3B: 1910s Dodgers Red Smith (27.0 WAR)
SS: Lou Merloni (3.0 WAR)
LF/Manager: Mickey Cochrane (49.2 WAR)
CF: Dick Johnston (2.7 WAR)
RF/General Manager: Kenny Williams (-0.2 WAR)

SP: Smokey Joe Williams (0 WAR, Negro Leagues legend)
SP: Bert Blyleven (94.5 WAR)
SP: Marty Pattin (20.2 WAR)
SP: Phil Regan (11.5 WAR)
SP: Benny Frey (8.4 WAR)
RP: Don Elston (943 WAR)

1B/OF in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame: Tokuji Iida
Owner: Jeff Smulyan
   2. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:54 PM (#6011993)
It's hard to have four HoFer and not have a very good team, but April 6th has achieved this.
   3. salvomania Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:31 PM (#6012008)
I guess Fernando Tatis is going to be out for a while. Sucks for the Padres, and the game more generally, but the greatest impact, for me, will be felt on my fantasy team.
   4. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:34 PM (#6012010)
This birthday guy's career consisted of 100 at-bats with the Rickey-Dink Pirates of 1952:

Sonny Senerchia

That didn't stop him from having what appears to have been an unusually interesting life, cut short in a motorcycle accident at age 72. Maybe he could play the National Anthem or something for the birthday team?
   5. Steve N Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:01 PM (#6012026)
I was going to be snarky, but, won't be. I would guess that there is a typo in Don Elston's WAR.
   6. Walt Davis Posted: April 06, 2021 at 09:53 PM (#6012155)
I was going to be snarky, but, won't be. I would guess that there is a typo in Don Elston's WAR.

He made an AS team so he's not the answer to cfb's trivia question in the omnichatter. :-)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12728 - 4:17pm, Apr 18)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Spring is in the Air
(148 - 4:02pm, Apr 18)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPete Rose to sell picks for baseball, other sports through website
(40 - 3:47pm, Apr 18)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

NewsblogMinnesota Twins, Timberwolves postpone games in wake of police shooting of Daunte Wright
(252 - 3:46pm, Apr 18)
Last: Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the weekend of April 17-18, 2021
(48 - 3:10pm, Apr 18)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogWhy the Cubs' awful offense could trigger full rebuild if downward trend continues this summer
(23 - 1:12pm, Apr 18)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogHow Fernando drew thousands of extra fans
(21 - 12:03pm, Apr 18)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogMLB salary down 4.8% in 2 years; top 100 earn half
(15 - 11:50pm, Apr 17)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(2692 - 11:14pm, Apr 17)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogThe Athletic: Communication failures, poor decisions and messy breakups: How it all went wrong for the Colorado Rockies [$]
(79 - 11:03pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogIn the minors, a major change as the Atlantic League plans to move the mound back a foot
(84 - 10:23pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogBlindsided Joe Girardi mum on player's sudden decision to take leave from team
(6 - 9:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogCardinals' Yadier Molina becomes first MLB player to catch 2,000 games with one team
(46 - 7:17pm, Apr 17)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogWhite Sox lefty Carlos Rodon throws no-hitter against Cleveland after losing perfect game in ninth inning
(77 - 5:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWaiter, there's OMNICHATTER! in my soup!, for April 16, 2021
(40 - 1:58pm, Apr 17)
Last: salvomania

Page rendered in 0.2919 seconds
48 querie(s) executed