Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-23-2020

Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger, June 23, 1920:

Foreigner, Wearing Baseball Uniform, Captured After All-Night Search

A man believed to be the third member of the band of three bandits who held up a Public Service Corporation paycar in Burlington, N.J., yesterday, got $4000, sandbagged the chauffeur and shot a patrolman, has been caught.
The man was dressed in a baseball uniform. Mayor Thomas Lee, of Beverly, saw the suspect pass through that town this morning, and notified the Riverton authorities in time to have him caught there.

He could give no satisfactory account of why he should be roaming around in a baseball uniform at 7:30 o’clock in the morning, the time Mayor Lee saw him. His answers were vague and suspicious.

I guess “I was playing in the Rick Camp Game” didn’t mean anything to the people of 1920.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 23, 2020 at 10:35 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 23, 2020 at 10:39 AM (#5958943)
There's not a ton of high-end talent here; Weiss is going to have his work cut out for him. Tom Haller is a catcher, so his career WAR total would have been nowhere near 29.3 as a right fielder.

In theory, I could bench Meulens and play John Rabb at first base because Rabb had a less bad career WAR total. The thing is, Bam Bam spent parts of seven seasons in the majors as a OF/1B/3B and Rabb was a ho-hum backup catcher who spent seven seasons playing above AA ball. Rabb's WAR total would look much worse had he been used as a first baseman who hit .225, didn't walk, and had meh power.

C: Aaron Robinson (12.1 WAR)
1B: Hensley Meulens (-1.7 WAR)
2B: Marty Barrett (9.2 WAR)
3B: Dick Egan (6.6 WAR)
SS: Tim Anderson (8.7 WAR)
LF: Dusty Cooke (7.1 WAR)
CF: Jack Smith (13.2 WAR)
RF: Tom Haller (29.3 WAR)

SP: Dave Goltz (23.1 WAR)
SP: Jim Deshaies (11.9 WAR)
SP: Jerry Nops (10.2 WAR)
SP: Johnny Humphries (5.1 WAR)
SP/Power Forward: Mark Hendrickson (4.2 WAR)
RP: Bill Harris (3.3 WAR)
RP: Karl Spooner (2.0 WAR)

General Manager: George Weiss
Manager: Dave Bristol
   2. Mike Webber Posted: June 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM (#5958958)
My fantasy league decided to post-pone the auction back at the end of March. With a likely July 24 start of the season, we now need to figure out what to do. I am reluctant to sit in a room for with 14 people for 3 hours, even though this usually one of my favorite days of the year.

We use short term contracts - no one keeps a player more than 2 seasons. Please help me determine if this idea is unreasonable or worth going forward with. This year only we do an online draft - no keepers everyone starts at zero and we simply snake draft it out. It's one-off season, with no players being retained at any price next year. Then Spring of 2021, assuming things are mostly normal, you have access to your roster as it sat at the end of the 2019 season. So that great $2 Yordano Alvarez you had stashed away is yours again.

I'm not saying this is completely "fair" but it is as close to fair and safe that I can think of.

So if you have a minute, could you tell me what you think of this? What if you are the guy that thinks he has a great freezer list?

Also if you have a better idea - other than saying Pass for 2020 - I'd be VERY interested in hearing it.

I'm not sure my group could pull off a multi-hour Zoom call - maybe we could, but I'm skeptical. And if we try it and it's a mess where would we go from there...

Thanks for the help.
   3. Ron J Posted: June 23, 2020 at 12:43 PM (#5958960)
I'm listening too. We're trying to figure out how to do our strat draft with a league that skews old or with compromised immune systems.
   4. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 23, 2020 at 01:43 PM (#5958980)
You could maybe do a draft via Slack. The free version includes live searchable messaging, and it's accessible from PCs and phone apps.

I dunno, maybe that's more trouble than it's worth. But it's the thing that comes to mind.
   5. Ron J Posted: June 23, 2020 at 02:02 PM (#5958984)
#4 Interesting thought. I'm ... skeptical but we've adapted before.
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 23, 2020 at 02:43 PM (#5958993)
I'm listening too. We're trying to figure out how to do our strat draft with a league that skews old or with compromised immune systems.

Conference call.
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: June 23, 2020 at 02:58 PM (#5958999)
Try an online auction and do it as if it is a regular year. Maybe have it over 2-3 sessions. I don't think the online auction software is great (although I've never used it), but I think it's better than your other alternatives.
   8. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: June 24, 2020 at 05:04 AM (#5959181)
Foreigner (...) Captured After All-Night Search

That was yesterday.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3137 - 10:17pm, Sep 27)
Last: My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto

NewsblogLos Angeles Angels fire GM Billy Eppler after five seasons
(5 - 10:06pm, Sep 27)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogFormer San Francisco Giants OF Hunter Pence announces retirement, ending 14-year MLB career
(13 - 10:00pm, Sep 27)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogFinal Weekend OMNICHATTER, for Sept. 26-27, 2020
(54 - 9:50pm, Sep 27)
Last: Snowboy

NewsblogYadier Molina collects career hit number 2,000 Thursday night
(43 - 9:19pm, Sep 27)
Last: baxter

NewsblogRon Roenicke let go as Boston Red Sox manager; team will begin search immediately
(4 - 6:47pm, Sep 27)
Last: villageidiom

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1931 Ballot
(5 - 6:14pm, Sep 27)
Last: MrC.

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Brave New World
(226 - 5:01pm, Sep 27)
Last: Dale Sams

NewsblogOT - August/September 2020 College Football thread
(76 - 4:50pm, Sep 27)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogCardinals starter Dakota Hudson to undergo Tommy John surgery
(2 - 4:50pm, Sep 27)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9747 - 3:12pm, Sep 27)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogWaPo: If baseball keeps these grotesque expanded playoffs, it will have lost its soul
(31 - 1:25pm, Sep 27)
Last: Dale Sams

NewsblogDodgers' Mookie Betts unseats Yankees' Aaron Judge for MLB's top jersey
(12 - 11:11am, Sep 27)
Last: bfan

NewsblogThom Brennaman resigns as Reds broadcaster
(42 - 9:41pm, Sep 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogTrevor Bauer Should Just Admit It
(17 - 6:21pm, Sep 26)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

Page rendered in 0.3342 seconds