Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 04, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-4-2020

Water Valley [Mississippi] Progress-Itemizer, June 4, 1920:

The new rule making the ball dead if it hits the bat when a batter is dodging a bad pitch is already causing trouble. The umpire’s judgment as to whether the batter tried to dodge decides and of course that judgment is disputed according to the advantage gained by the teams playing. Every time some batters hit a foul now or an easy grounder to the infield they claim they were trying to dodge a wild pitch.

Yeesh, that seems like a terrible rule. I’m happy it’s gone.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:23 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, rules

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:24 AM (#5955285)
If you like catchers playing out of position or guys playing harmonica on the team bus, you'll love today's Birthday Team. As Misirlou correctly mentioned a couple years ago, Kennedy and Wilkins wouldn't have put up anywhere near these kinds of WAR numbers if they hadn't been catchers, but there aren't a ton of 1B/OF options. You're in Doug Griffin territory if you don't want to play a catcher in the outfield.

We'll just hope that removing the physical toll of catching helps Wilkins and Kennedy at the plate.

C: Tony Pena (24.7 WAR)
1B: Rick Wilkins (14.0 WAR)
2B: Lee Magee (10.2 WAR)
3B/Harmonica: Phil Linz (2.0 WAR)
SS: Kurt Stillwell (3.1 WAR)
LF: Terry Kennedy (21.6 WAR)
CF/Punter: Darin Erstad (32.3 WAR)
RF: George Watkins (10.1 WAR)

SP: Aaron Nola (19.4 WAR)
SP: Bob Klinger (9.8 WAR)
SP: Art Mahaffey (7.3 WAR)
SP: Orville Jorgens (2.5 WAR)
SP: Larry Demery (2.4 WAR)
RP: J.C. Romero (7.8 WAR)
RP: Cla Meredith (2.9 WAR)

Manager: John McNamara
Broadcaster: Bill O'Donnell
Coach, in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame: Kichiro Shimaoka
Father of that one: Ross Grimsley
Fun names: Jorge Bonifacio, Trace Coquillette
Not that one: George Washington
Prospect Flameout: Steve Searcy (-2.0 WAR)
Umpire: Tony Venzon
   2. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:28 AM (#5955286)
I don't recall who it was, but someone in this community mentioned how much they once loved their baseball bounce back net. I put one on my birthday list, and to my surprise and delight, was gifted one just the other day. I have been playing a ton of catch with myself and loving every second of it.
   3. salvomania Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:33 AM (#5955302)
RF: George Watkins (10.1 WAR)

Watkins had one of more superficially impressive rookie seasons of all time, inflated as it was by the offensive environment of 1930.

His 1.037 OPS for the Cardinals is the third-best ever by a rookie (400 PA min), after Aaron Judge in 2017 (1.049) and Ted Williams in 1939 (1.045).

By OPS+, however, his .373/.415/.621 line generated "only" a 141, good for 52nd all-time for a rookie.

He had a couple more decent seasons with the Cardinals (he was 30 as a rookie), with his OPS+ topping out at 122, then bounced around the NL for a few years before hanging it up after the 1936 season.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:41 AM (#5955304)
Cross-posting from the Pop Culture thread because it's directly baseball-related:

I watched a Netflix documentary called The Battered Bastards of Baseball last night on the recommendation of a friend. It was excellent!

It told the story of the 1973-78 Portland Beavers, the last independent minor league team to compete in an affiliated league (that's how they sold it anyway). The team was owned by Bing Russell, former actor and father of Kurt, and apparently Kurt also played for them, although this is barely mentioned. The narrative is mostly "ragtag team of misfits triumphs against more heralded affiliated players." And Jim Bouton shows up.

I get the sense that the Beavers' story isn't well-known even in baseball geek circles - I didn't know anything about it and was only vaguely aware that Kurt Russell had a baseball background of some sort. I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on this site in my many years here. Is this something you guys knew about off the top of your head and I was just unaware?

Anyway, watch the doc. It's delightful.
   5. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:49 AM (#5955306)
Yesterday in the Chris Archer thread, someone was amazed that Glenn Davis was drafted 5 times and asked if that was the record.

There were a lot of players drafted 4 times in the era before 1986 when there was a January draft as well as a June draft, and I found a couple others who were drafted 5 times (Brad Arnsberg, Bill Mooneyham).

Brad Arnsberg and Bill Mooneyham were both pitchers at noted baseball factory (not sarcastic) Merced College. They combined for 13 MLB wins after all their prospect hype.

Oddibe McDowell was drafted 6 times! Is that the record?
   6. Tom Nawrocki Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:24 PM (#5955313)
Kurt Russell played for a couple of years in the real minors, in the Angels organization. He wasn't half bad, hitting .292/.380/.365 as a second baseman. Had an outside shot at being the next Denny Doyle, but gave it up for his acting career.
   7. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:27 PM (#5955314)
The Alexandria Dukes (or Ducks for their first, rain-out soaked season) were unaffiliated in 1978 and 1980. Mickey Mantle Jr played for the Dukes in 1978, he's the only player from that team that I recall.
   8. The Mighty Quintana Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:32 PM (#5955316)
Kurt & Goldie's son Wyatt was hockey goalie in the minor leagues. He's now an actor (natch), and is pretty darn good in Lodge 49 on AMC.
   9. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:17 PM (#5955330)
The Alexandria Dukes (or Ducks for their first, rain-out soaked season) were unaffiliated in 1978 and 1980. Mickey Mantle Jr played for the Dukes in 1978, he's the only player from that team that I recall.

Mickey Jr was pretty bad

only one player from that team ever played in the majors (pitcher Ron Musselman)
   10. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:42 PM (#5955341)
That was me that mention the bounce back. Glad you're enjoying it PF. It was the greatest gift I ever got.
   11. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 04, 2020 at 02:17 PM (#5955346)
I was also a pitch back (as we called it back then) booster. I’d wear out my 68 yo arm before I’d wear one of those out these days.
   12. Gch Posted: June 04, 2020 at 02:37 PM (#5955353)

Cross-posting from the Pop Culture thread because it's directly baseball-related:

I watched a Netflix documentary called The Battered Bastards of Baseball last night on the recommendation of a friend. It was excellent!

It told the story of the 1973-78 Portland Beavers, the last independent minor league team to compete in an affiliated league (that's how they sold it anyway). The team was owned by Bing Russell, former actor and father of Kurt, and apparently Kurt also played for them, although this is barely mentioned. The narrative is mostly "ragtag team of misfits triumphs against more heralded affiliated players." And Jim Bouton shows up.

I get the sense that the Beavers' story isn't well-known even in baseball geek circles - I didn't know anything about it and was only vaguely aware that Kurt Russell had a baseball background of some sort. I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on this site in my many years here. Is this something you guys knew about off the top of your head and I was just unaware?

Anyway, watch the doc. It's delightful.

If you liked that, you might want to check out Roger Kahn's book Good Enough to Dream, which has the same basic plot (Kahn becomes part-owner of the Utica Blue Sox, an unaffiliated team competing in the NY-Penn league). I found it to be an interesting and entertaining look at minor/independent baseball.
   13. The Honorable Ardo Posted: June 04, 2020 at 03:02 PM (#5955359)
Steve Searcy! If only the late-80's Tigers had traded Searcy and Greg Gohr, but retained John Smoltz and Ken Hill...

The inability of the Tigers' farm system to produce any value from 1985-1995 (in contrast to the bumper crop in the previous 10-year span: Trammell, Whitaker, Parrish, Gibson, Morris, Petry) received a lot of local comment. In retrospect, it looks more like a lousy job of assessing the talent at hand.
   14. Perry Posted: June 04, 2020 at 03:39 PM (#5955366)
Kurt & Goldie's son Wyatt was hockey goalie in the minor leagues. He's now an actor (natch), and is pretty darn good in Lodge 49 on AMC.

He also did a great job playing a stoner/Pink Floyd fan/college pitcher in a movie some slammed but I loved, Richard Linklater's "Everybody Wants Some!" Huston Street's son, also now an actor, plays another of the pitchers.

As for the Mavericks, I was around in the 70s when they were active, so I kinda knew the basic story, but I didn't know any of the details and I loved the doc.

15. Perry Posted: June 04, 2020 at 04:16 PM (#5955376)
Huston Street's son

Sorry, my mistake, it's Huston's brother.
   16. The Mighty Quintana Posted: June 04, 2020 at 06:51 PM (#5955400)
Matt Franco — who played for the Chicago Cubs, the New York Mets, and the Atlanta Braves — is Bing’s grandson and Kurt’s nephew.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.