Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, June 04, 2021

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-4-2021

New York Tribune, June 4, 1921:

Opportunity knocked loud and often at the door of the Yankees yesterday afternoon, but there was nobody home, so the St. Louis Browns evened up the series by a score of 9 to 8.
[The home run hit by Babe Ruth] was his sixteenth of the season and gives him a grand total of 119 circuit blows, which ties the record established by Cactus Cravath.

83 currently active players have 120+ career home runs, including Jason Kipnis, Brandon Belt, and Kole Calhoun. Anyway, despite the reporting this was not the career record; Roger Connor hit 138.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 04, 2021 at 12:08 PM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 04, 2021 at 12:09 PM (#6022533)
If you like catchers playing out of position or guys playing harmonica on the team bus, you'll love today's Birthday Team. As Misirlou correctly mentioned a few years ago, Kennedy and Wilkins wouldn't have put up anywhere near these kinds of WAR numbers if they hadn't been catchers, but there aren't a ton of 1B/OF options. You're in Doug Griffin territory if you don't want to play a catcher in the outfield.

We'll just hope that removing the physical toll of catching helps Wilkins and Kennedy at the plate.

C: Tony Pena (24.7 WAR)
1B: Rick Wilkins (14.0 WAR)
2B: Lee Magee (10.2 WAR)
3B/Harmonica: Phil Linz (2.0 WAR)
SS: Kurt Stillwell (3.1 WAR)
LF: Terry Kennedy (21.6 WAR)
CF/Punter: Darin Erstad (32.3 WAR)
RF: George Watkins (10.0 WAR)

SP: Aaron Nola (23.0 WAR)
SP: Bob Klinger (9.8 WAR)
SP: Art Mahaffey (7.3 WAR)
SP: Orville Jorgens (2.5 WAR)
SP: Larry Demery (2.4 WAR)
RP: J.C. Romero (7.8 WAR)
RP: Cla Meredith (2.9 WAR)

Manager: John McNamara
Broadcaster: Bill O'Donnell
Coach, in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame: Kichiro Shimaoka
Father of that one: Ross Grimsley
Fun names: Jorge Bonifacio, Trace Coquillette
Not that one: George Washington
Prospect Flameout: Steve Searcy (-2.0 WAR)
Umpire: Tony Venzon
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: June 04, 2021 at 12:52 PM (#6022535)
Anyway, despite the reporting this was not the career record; Roger Connor hit 138.

One wonders whether the record was consciously construed to be modern, i.e., post-1900. Or whether they were just unaware that Connor had hit so many homers.
   3. sanny manguillen (was rennie's tenet) Posted: June 04, 2021 at 12:55 PM (#6022537)
The 1974 Pirates promoted Larry Demery two days before his 21st birthday. He went 6-6 in the rest of the season, and the team went 8-7 in his starts, which took on some importance as they clinched the division on the last day of the season.
   4. Ron J Posted: June 04, 2021 at 02:25 PM (#6022553)
I remember that prior to the publication of big Mac there simply weren't anything approaching decent sources before 1900.

It wasn't that stuff before 1900 didn't count, it's just that there was no way of knowing.

Such sources that were available were terrible. Cap Anson's hit totals were generally reported as being quite a bit higher than what we have today.
   5. AndrewJ Posted: June 04, 2021 at 09:57 PM (#6022633)
Nice Phillies representation on today's pitching staff. J.C. Romero, credited with 2 wins in the 2008 World Series, was suspended that offseason after testing positive for androstenedione. He eventually proved that the legal supplements he was taking had been tainted. Art Mahaffey struck out 17 in a 1961 game, and still holds the Phillies team record 60 years later.
   6. Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute Posted: June 05, 2021 at 12:49 PM (#6022730)
Speaking of illegal substances and June 4 birthday boys, once again...Larry Demery.
   7. Doug Jones threw harder than me Posted: June 05, 2021 at 11:26 PM (#6022808)
Tony Pena had an interesting career. I always had him and Benito Santiago linked in my mind, as catchers who were good hitters when they were young, then hit a long rough patch offensively, only to put it back together right near the end. Turns out I was only partially right - Pena only went from really bad to "ok" for a couple of years before plunging off the deep end, while Benito had a few actually pretty good years spread out over his career, with one long stretch of not-goodness in the middle. Kurt Suzuki was in my mind as well, but it turns out it just "felt like" he was going to be a good hitter, and the A's actually batted him 4th a couple years into his career, only for him to fall off a cliff offensively, only to put it together finally when he was 33. They make an interesting trio.
   8. sanny manguillen (was rennie's tenet) Posted: June 06, 2021 at 09:39 AM (#6022817)
I just learned recently that all games were cancelled on June 6, 1944, as news of the Normandy invasion broke early that day. There were no games on the 5th, either, which I guess was just a scheduled travel Monday? There were five games on the 7th, with total attendance of about 55,000. Surprisingly to me, Pittsburgh and the White Sox raised crowds of about 17,000 each.
   9. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 06, 2021 at 04:17 PM (#6022869)
Art Mahaffey struck out 17 in a 1961 game, and still holds the Phillies team record 60 years later.

He had a buggy whip windup, in which his arm would whip behind his back and then whip around towards home. He was the most imitated pitcher for wiffle ball in our neck of the world. He was even more dramatic than Jim bunning.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(1381 - 8:24pm, Jun 16)
Last: Tom Cervo, backup catcher

NewsblogIt's OMNICHATTER, my dudes, for June 16, 2021
(24 - 8:23pm, Jun 16)
Last: AndrewJ

NewsblogBaseball Reference Adds Negro Leagues Statistics, Rewriting Its Record Book
(61 - 8:18pm, Jun 16)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogBaseball’s Most Disrespectful Home Runs
(12 - 7:29pm, Jun 16)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - In Which Euro 2020 Is Played in 2021
(152 - 7:02pm, Jun 16)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13225 - 5:05pm, Jun 16)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

Sox TherapyFinally Lining Up the Minors
(53 - 4:59pm, Jun 16)
Last: Darren

NewsblogHow a $7K laptop got on a '90 baseball card
(2 - 4:57pm, Jun 16)
Last: Darren

NewsblogYankees are a broken team, so why is Brian Cashman doing nothing?
(38 - 4:42pm, Jun 16)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogIs MLB’s Crackdown on Spider Tack Already Exposing the Red Sox’ Pitching Staff?
(9 - 3:41pm, Jun 16)
Last: Rough Carrigan

NewsblogHe Made Sticky Stuff for MLB Pitchers for 15 Years. Now He's Speaking Out.
(19 - 1:34pm, Jun 16)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogGlasnow sidelined with flexor strain, UCL tear
(23 - 1:02pm, Jun 16)
Last: jacksone (AKA It's OK...)

NewsblogMLB players caught with any foreign substance to face 10-day suspension, sources say
(13 - 12:39pm, Jun 16)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-15-2021
(12 - 1:03am, Jun 16)
Last: Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes

NewsblogOMNICHATTER isn't cheating on you, just wants to hold you better, for June 15, 2021
(43 - 12:47am, Jun 16)
Last: Howie Menckel

Page rendered in 0.3001 seconds
48 querie(s) executed