Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-16-2019

Toledo News-Bee, July 16, 1919:

Carl Mays, the submarine hurler, has quit the Boston Red Sox.

This followed an argument with Manager Barrow, it is said. Mays left the team, in Chicago, without saying goodby [sic] to Barrow and is now in Boston. However, he is quoted as saying, “Ed Barrow is a fine fellow and a gentleman, but I cannot preserve my self-respect and remain with the Red Sox.”

Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and New York American league clubs are said to be seeking the services of Mays.

It’s a darn shame he didn’t end up with Cleveland. Might have unwittingly saved a life.

From what I’ve read, it seems like this wasn’t a result of a personality conflict; pretty much nobody liked Carl Mays. That was nothing new. Mays had been going through a lot personally - his house burned down during Spring Training of a suspected arson, he phlipped out on some phans in Philadelphia who were pounding on the dugout roof and beaned one in the head, he went weeks without his team scoring so much as a run with him on the mound, and he got hit in the head with a throw from catcher to second base. If ever a guy needed a change of scenery, it was Carl Mays in 1919.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 16, 2019 at 10:53 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 16, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5862202)
Today's Birthday Team. I guess the good news is that we don't need to worry about Joe Jackson throwing World Series games.

C: Norm Sherry (0.5 WAR)
1B: Tommy Joseph (-1.0 WAR)
2B: Ildemaro Vargas (0.0 WAR)
3B: Terry Pendleton (28.5 WAR)
SS: Doc Prothro (3.4 WAR)
LF: Judy Gans (Negro Leagues outfielder)
CF: Joe Jackson (62.2 WAR)
RF: Don Ross (2.0 WAR)

SP: Larry Jansen (21.4 WAR)
SP: Eddie Fisher (10.1 WAR)
SP: Hi Bell (3.4 WAR)
SP: John Keefe (0.8 WAR)
SP: William VanLandingham (-1.2 WAR)
RP: Art Johnson (0.5 WAR)

Manager/Public Relations Director: Lee Elia
Fun name: Dad Clark
Umpire: Jim Odom
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM (#5862234)
Don Ross walked 166 times to 70 strikeouts.

A guy named Bill Norman might be able to help around the outfield. He had 100 unimpressive at bats with the White Sox in the early 30s, when he was just 20-21. He lasted 15 years in the upper minors, hitting around .300 with power. He ended up one of the mainstays of Bill Veeck's Milwaukee teams that dominated the American Association during the war.
   3. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5862256)
I think I would have been a Don Ross fan if I were alive back then. I've always had a soft spot for guys who can play everywhere on the field and get on base.

I see you, Lance Blankenship.
   4. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 16, 2019 at 02:14 PM (#5862297)
There's a player active in Japan right now that's worthy of consideration for the birthday team - second baseman Tetsuto Yamada of the Tokyo Yakult Swallows. Since 2012, he's put up a line of .299/.403/.532, with 189 home runs. In 2015, he won the Central League MVP Award while leading the league in both homeruns and stolen bases. He's a five-time All-Star, three-time Best Nine selection, and one of the best players in NPB at the moment.
   5. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:20 PM (#5862333)
My namesake Yacksel Rios hit Justin Turner in the back leg with a breaking ball last night, with the score 12-1. Legendary blowhard Doug Eddings ejected him immediately while Turner was taking off his gloves and shinguard. Turner turned around and was confused to find that Rios had been ejected, and started arguing with the umpire on the pitcher's behalf!
   6. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 16, 2019 at 06:41 PM (#5862390)
Crispix, that was hilarious. Kapler halfheartedly tried to get tossed but his heart wasn’t in it.
   7. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 07:00 PM (#5862391)
Half of it, at least.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost of Sox Fans Past
for his generous support.