Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 10, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-10-2020

Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger, August 10, 1920:

President William H. McCarthy, of the Pacific Coast Baseball League, on his return from a trip to Los Angeles to question “Babe” Borton, suspended Vernon first baseman, declared that players of the Salt Lake, Vernon, Portland and Seattle teams were involved in baseball gambling scandals.

Several suspensions and releases may be expected shortly, he said. Borton was suspended on account of suspicious circumstances surrounding a payment of $300 to Harl Maggert, the Salt Lake center fielder, who was released last week for alleged gambling in connection with Coast League games.

Turns out the $300 was to get more Borton license plates for the gift shop.

I’m just happy these sorts of widespread gambling scandals don’t happen in the major leagues. Imagine if something like that happened in a World Series.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM (#5968754)
A good Birthday Team today. It was decent before I noticed one of the greatest shortstops of all time standing there asking if he could play too.

Absolutely, Willie. Not only can you play, you're also the manager.

C: Wilson Ramos (15.4 WAR)
1B: Sid Farrar (10.7 WAR)
2B: Odell Hale (14.6 WAR)
3B: Buddy Lewis (28.3 WAR)
SS/Manager: Willie Wells (0 WAR)
LF: Taffy Wright (16.7 WAR)
CF: Gerald Williams (6.5 WAR)
RF: Rocky Colavito (44.9 WAR)

SP: Larry Corcoran (25.4 WAR)
SP: Bob Porterfield (17.7 WAR)
SP: Ed Beatin (6.9 WAR)
SP: Elmer Jacobs (5.2 WAR)
SP: Archie Bradley (5.1 WAR)
RP: Brandon Lyon (6.3 WAR)

Amateur pitcher in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame: Yokio Aoi
Backup infielder: Tom Brookens (11.6 WAR)
Fun names: Andy Stankiewicz, Truck Eagan, Ed Wineapple
Hitter of dramatic Rays home runs: Dan Johnson
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:57 AM (#5968769)
Sid Farrar's daughter Geraldine went on to be one of the most famous opera singers of her time and had a tempestuous love affair with Toscanini, according to her father's SABR bio. For his part, Sid was the hero of one of those Strange But True Baseball Stories, in which he collected gum wrappers or something that he found in the ballpark in order to pay for his daughter's voice lessons. I don't recall the details, and my parents unfortunately didn't do as good a job of saving my old Strange But True Baseball Stories books as they might have.
   3. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: August 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM (#5968792)
It was decent before I noticed one of the greatest shortstops of all time standing there asking if he could play too.

Absolutely, Willie. Not only can you play, you're also the manager.

Nickname, "The Devil". Love to know the story behind that one.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 10, 2020 at 02:03 PM (#5968828)
For his part, Sid was the hero of one of those Strange But True Baseball Stories, in which he collected gum wrappers or something that he found in the ballpark in order to pay for his daughter's voice lessons.
I'd be wary of any voice teacher who accepted payment in gum wrappers.
   5. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: August 10, 2020 at 02:04 PM (#5968830)
Good morning. MLB teams are hitting .230, which would be an all-time low by seven points. The last time teams hit below .240, in 1968, it triggered several rules changes. Just three times -- '68, 1908, 1888 -- have major-league teams combined to hit under .240.

— Joe Sheehan (@joe_sheehan) August 10, 2020
   6. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: August 10, 2020 at 02:13 PM (#5968836)
The last time teams hit below .240, in 1968, it triggered several rules changes.

MLB 2021: Universal DH, return to barehanded fielding, and Zombie Runner at the beginning of EVERY inning.
   7. crict Posted: August 10, 2020 at 02:22 PM (#5968840)
Nickname, "The Devil". Love to know the story behind that one.

From this article:

In the field, Wells compensated for an arm weakened by an old pitching injury with expert positioning, tremendous range, and a lightning-quick release. He was a demon on the diamond, like Ty Cobb, unafraid to play rough and dirty when the situation called for it. That's how he earned the nickname of "El Diablo" when he starred in the Mexican Leagues in the Forties.
   8. puck Posted: August 10, 2020 at 03:46 PM (#5968875)

MLB 2021: Universal DH, return to barehanded fielding, and Zombie Runner at the beginning of EVERY inning.

Clenbuterol-laced clubhouse spreads.
   9. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 10, 2020 at 04:47 PM (#5968885)
I did find this:

The book Diamonds in the Rough claims that Farrar and other ballplayers (as well as eventually people outside of baseball) began saving tinfoil wrappers for their re-sale value in order to pay for Geraldine's singing lessons.

I'm pretty sure I saw it in a Mac Davis book, though.
   10. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 10, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5968918)
Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

I have Madison Bumgarner as the sixth pitcher to go on the injured list today. That's 56 pitchers on the IL for non-COVID reasons through the first 18 days of this season, according to the fine folks of ESPN Stats & Info. ‬First 18 days of 2019: 24‬. First 18 days of 2018: 19‬.
There was some speculation here that teams might ride their quality starters hard in the shortened 2020 season, similarly to what some do in the playoffs. That always seemed unlikely, IMHO, given the uncertainty about pitchers preparing on their own & in Summer Camp. The apparently heightened injury rate probably ends any talk of shortening spring training.
   11. AndrewJ Posted: August 10, 2020 at 07:52 PM (#5968921)
I'm pretty sure I saw it in a Mac Davis book, though.

Well, Geraldine Farrar clearly did believe in music. And she believed in love.
   12. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: August 10, 2020 at 08:35 PM (#5968929)
Nickname, "The Devil".

One of the title names in the Ultramagnetic MCs' ode to the Negro Leagues.
   13. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: August 10, 2020 at 10:47 PM (#5968959)
I was JUST talking about Mac Davis - no one had any idea who I was referring to.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogCarlos Correa addresses Astros haters after sweeping Twins: 'What are they going to say now?'
(11 - 9:33am, Oct 01)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3275 - 9:29am, Oct 01)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogYouTube TV is losing Fox regional sports networks
(11 - 9:27am, Oct 01)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogMinnesota Twins eliminated by Houston Astros as postseason losing streak hits 18 games
(3 - 9:25am, Oct 01)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogBill James: A Galaxy of Royal Stars
(23 - 9:23am, Oct 01)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogRemoving Fans Didn’t Remove MLB’s Home-Field Advantage
(7 - 8:46am, Oct 01)
Last: Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network)

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9797 - 8:40am, Oct 01)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogAs Marlins prepare for postseason, is the franchise turning a corner under Derek Jeter?
(10 - 8:22am, Oct 01)
Last: Fiore Gino

NewsblogWild Card Round Day Two OMNICHATTER (9/30/20)
(222 - 1:16am, Oct 01)
Last: Walks Clog Up the Bases

NewsblogAnaheim City Council approves $150-million cash stadium sale to Angels owner
(12 - 11:54pm, Sep 30)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogMLB allowing limited number of fans for NLCS, World Series in Arlington, Texas
(1 - 11:47pm, Sep 30)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1932 Discussion
(3 - 5:17pm, Sep 30)
Last: DL from MN

Gonfalon CubsCubs Postseason Thoughts
(2 - 4:41pm, Sep 30)
Last: Walks Clog Up the Bases

NewsblogRays top-ten prospect Shane McClanahan added to postseason roster
(21 - 4:19pm, Sep 30)
Last: The importance of being Ernest Riles

NewsblogRon Roenicke let go as Boston Red Sox manager; team will begin search immediately
(45 - 3:29pm, Sep 30)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.3383 seconds
48 querie(s) executed