Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-24-2020

Pittsburgh Press, September 24, 1920:

Rube Benton Says Pittsburg Betting Syndicate “Fixed” American Leaguers—Gleason’s Men Threatened

Ban Johnson, president of the American league, will be recalled today, it is expected, to tell the grand jury what he knows about an alleged plot to “blackmail” the Chicago Whitesox into losing the American league pennant this year. George M. Cohan, noted actor, and Mont Tennes, a well-known Chicago gambler, probably will be subpoenaed for questioning regarding reports that between them they lost $110,000 betting on the Whitesox in the 1919 world’s series.
The statement by [Ban] Johnson declares that he has been informed that the “Whitesox will not dare to win the pennant in 1920,” and alleges that the gambling syndicate which is said to have “fixed” certain Sox players in the 1919 series is threatening the players with exposure if they should win the flag this year.

I don’t think I knew about this angle. Certainly casts at least a bit of a shadow on Cleveland’s 1920 World Series title, but if the Reds can celebrate 1919, I’m keeping 1920.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 24, 2020 at 10:00 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: black sox, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 24, 2020 at 10:01 AM (#5978439)
Today's Birthday Team features a nice collection of position players, which will be useful because that pitching staff isn't very good.

C: Mike Gonzalez (9.2 WAR)
1B: Rafael Palmeiro (71.9 WAR)
2B: Chino Smith (Ridiculously good NeL hitter)
3B: Eric Soderholm (21.5 WAR)
SS: Hubie Brooks (13.0 WAR)
LF: Bernard Gilkey (21.6 WAR)
CF: Dixie Walker (44.2 WAR)
RF: Kevin Millar (14.2 WAR)

SP: Jim Acker (5.6 WAR)
SP: Jeff Karstens (3.2 WAR)
SP: Jim Neidlinger (1.2 WAR)
SP: Cyclone Miller (0.5 WAR)
SP: Nate Cornejo (0.0 WAR)
RP: Hunter Strickland (3.8 WAR)

Manager/Umpire: Yutaka Ikeda
General Manager: Mike Berger
Robb's Dadd: Dick Nen
Bench glove, not much of a hitter, seems like someone who's going to be a manager someday: John McDonald (6.4 WAR)
Fun names: Mike Krsnich, Kewpie Pennington, Tom Seats, Levale Speigner, Paul Spoljaric
Name of the game: Otto Neu
   2. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 24, 2020 at 11:50 AM (#5978460)
CF: Dixie Walker (44.2 WAR)

Really interesting career. He was really good at age 22 for the NYY (2 WAR in 360 PA), but then hardly played the next two seasons. Traded and was mediocre for a few years and then peaked at age 30-36.

From his bio, seems like he was hurt a lot.
   3. Itchy Row Posted: September 24, 2020 at 12:47 PM (#5978475)
Nate Cornejo was the ace for the legendary 2003 Detroit Tigers.
   4. Doug Jones threw harder than me Posted: September 24, 2020 at 01:02 PM (#5978482)
It's weird that Hubie Brooks only has 13 WAR, because he played all over the field competently if not spectacularly (3rd base, shortstop, and right field) and was a reasonably good (and sometimes really good) hitter, was rarely hurt, and played a long time. Why is his WAR so low? It's lower than Kingman.
   5. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 24, 2020 at 01:18 PM (#5978488)
Why is his WAR so low?

His last six seasons, his WAR was -1.7.
   6. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 24, 2020 at 01:34 PM (#5978495)
Working in my garden this morning, a bird was singing a tune like this:
Long pause 3 shorts pause long/pause/3 shorts again, pause then the long note again. The first note of the 3 shorts was higher pitch than the others. My brain assigned these lyrics: Butch Wyn-e-gar, Butch Wyn-e-gar, Butch. I probably only think of Wynegar is when Dan posts the birthday team. ( I don’t say thanks enough, Dan. Thanks!)
   7. Cblau Posted: September 24, 2020 at 10:02 PM (#5978618)
If you don't know about the White Sox throwing the 1920 pennant, you might want to read this:
https://sabr.org/journal/article/playing-rotten-it-aint-that-hard-to-do-how-the-black-sox-threw-the-1920-pennant/

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogBill James: The Biggest Problem With WAR
(131 - 12:04am, Dec 05)
Last: base ball chick

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10749 - 11:46pm, Dec 04)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogLet's Rethink the Playoffs
(20 - 11:29pm, Dec 04)
Last: friendofafriend

NewsblogLen Kasper is leaving Marquee Sports Network... for White Sox radio
(42 - 11:20pm, Dec 04)
Last: Cooper Teenoh

NewsblogTexas Rangers name ex-pitcher Chris Young as new GM
(3 - 10:35pm, Dec 04)
Last: depletion

NewsblogIs the Hall leaving out too many players?
(122 - 10:28pm, Dec 04)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogSources: Isiah Kiner-Falefa to replace mainstay Elvis Andrus as starting Rangers shortstop next season
(26 - 10:12pm, Dec 04)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogMLB non-tender deadline tracker: Yankees will keep Gary Sanchez; White Sox, Twins, Cubs make notable cuts
(38 - 9:19pm, Dec 04)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogHow MLB is hurting free agents by dragging feet on National League DH rule for 2021
(6 - 8:33pm, Dec 04)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogStaten Island Yankees cease operations, sue New York Yankees, MLB
(35 - 7:33pm, Dec 04)
Last: Best Dressed Chicken in Town

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(2062 - 7:12pm, Dec 04)
Last: Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean

NewsblogOrioles trade veteran infielder José Iglesias to Los Angeles Angels, report says
(31 - 6:52pm, Dec 04)
Last: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad)

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 12-3-2020
(11 - 1:33pm, Dec 04)
Last: JJ1986

NewsblogTwins place Eddie Rosario on outright waivers
(16 - 1:02pm, Dec 04)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

Sox TherapyLove Me Tender
(2 - 10:53am, Dec 04)
Last: Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert

Page rendered in 0.2909 seconds
48 querie(s) executed