Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 03, 2020

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-3-2020

Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger, September 3, 1920:

The best weather the English cricketers have experienced since their arrival here greeted the famed Incogniti eleven when they met the Philadelphia Cricket Club team at St. Martin’s, today.
[After taking in a baseball game at Shibe Park] they had a go at handling a big league willow and feeling what it’s like to bust the old apple in more or less American style.
Ed Rommel and Hastings, acting on the invitation of Tom Shibe, served up some baseballs for the cricketers to swing at, and maybe they didn’t swing. Every once in a while they connected to the delighted cries of “well shot, sir,” from their compatriots.
[One of the cricket players on facing Rommel’s pitching:] “The first few were absolutely trifles, you know, but when he began swinging and dipping them I wasted a frightful lot of energy, don’t you know.

I’ve enjoyed watching Manny Ramirez and Francisco Lindor attempt to hit cricket balls. After a quick YouTube search, it looks like there are a few videos of cricketers hitting baseballs, so I guess I know what I’m doing with the next hour or so.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 03, 2020 at 10:33 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cricket, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 03, 2020 at 10:34 AM (#5974208)
A pretty good Birthday Team today.

George Stone is one of my favorite obscure ballplayers - he led the American League in hits and total bases in his rookie season in 1905, then led the AL in batting average, OBP, slugging, and total bases in his second season. His third season was still very good (152 OPS+), but things fell apart from there. Stone contracted malaria in 1908, broke his ankle in 1909, and wasn't the same afterwards. He quit baseball a few years later to go back home to Nebraska and become a banker.

C: Harry Decker (-0.9 WAR)
1B: Ed Konetchy (46.4 WAR)
2B/Manager: Eddie Stanky (41.1 WAR)
3B: Steve Boros (1.8 WAR)
SS: Rene Gonzales (4.2 WAR)
LF: George Stone (26.0 WAR)
CF: Alan Bannister (3.6 WAR)
RF: Luis Gonzalez (51.7 WAR)

SP: Tom Brewer (13.9 WAR)
SP: Eric Plunk (13.5 WAR)
SP: Sandy Consuegra (11.7 WAR)
SP: Art Fromme (11.9 WAR)
SP: Nate Robertson (4.2 WAR)
RP: Matt Capps (6.3 WAR)

Writer/Builder: Mirei Suzuki
Fun names: Katsy Keifer, Carter Kieboom
Not that one: Dave Clark, Carl Edwards
   2. Nasty Nate Posted: September 03, 2020 at 12:14 PM (#5974232)
I just received a comprehensive survey from MLB. The questions lead me to believe they are gauging the public response to having some spectators at games.
   3. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 03, 2020 at 12:45 PM (#5974240)
He quit baseball a few years later to go back home to Nebraska and become a banker.

banker might have paid more than ballplayer back in those days.
   4. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 03, 2020 at 12:45 PM (#5974241)
For whatever it's worth, the MLS team in Columbus is planning to open the stadium to 1,500 fans this weekend. Things are beginning to happen with regard to fans being allowed back in, whether or not it's a good idea.
   5. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 03, 2020 at 12:47 PM (#5974242)
For whatever it's worth, the MLS team in Columbus is planning to open the stadium to 1,500 fans this weekend. Things are beginning to happen with regard to fans being allowed back in, whether or not it's a good idea.

I think with proper precautions it will be fine. If people act like idiots, it will be a disaster.
   6. JL72 Posted: September 03, 2020 at 12:57 PM (#5974245)
I think with proper precautions it will be fine. If people act like idiots, it will be a disaster.

So you are saying it is going to be a disaster.
   7. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 03, 2020 at 01:14 PM (#5974249)

At the MLS Game in Salt Lake City last night, the stadium allowed fans in at 25% stadium capacity.
   8. mathesond Posted: September 03, 2020 at 01:17 PM (#5974250)
Fortunately, soccer fans are known for their restraint.
   9. Rally Posted: September 03, 2020 at 01:49 PM (#5974261)

So you are saying it is going to be a disaster.

There are two types of people in this world.

1) The risk-adverse. Put these people in a pandemic situation and they will stay in their homes, wear masks while driving alone in their cars, wash their hands after touching anything, and social distance to the extreme.

2) The risk-takers. They think masks are an infringement on their rights. They can't wait for all the rules to be relaxed so they can get back to the bars and start partying again. Sure, the virus kills some people, but they think the odds are in their favor.

The first time you open a ballpark, which of these two groups are your first returning customers going to be drawn from? I think the answer is obvious. Group 1 is going to stay home and wait a few months to see the results of group 2 before they even consider setting foot in a ballpark.
   10. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: September 03, 2020 at 02:06 PM (#5974267)
And when group 2 all dies because they were posing for the kiss cam, group 1 is going to take that to be validation of our (I use the possessive advisedly) caution, even if we would have sat at a safe distance from everyone else and politely coughed into our elbows while wearing our masks.
   11. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 03, 2020 at 02:19 PM (#5974277)
1500 fans? Pshaw. Those numbers are for #######. Here in Texas, the Church of College Football is afixin' ta open at 50% capacity at Texas A&M whose stadium seats 110,000. UT-Austin seats 100,000, but the Board of Regents has called for 25% capacity. Texas Tech (60K) and Baylor (45K) will be at 25% capacity. The governor says they can open at 50%.
   12. Walt Davis Posted: September 03, 2020 at 05:07 PM (#5974334)
The Cubs will give you 3:2 odds on fans not coming back to Wrigley as long as you come to Wrigley to place your bet.
   13. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 03, 2020 at 05:35 PM (#5974345)
Based on what the NFL is allowed, 2021 Florida Spring Training would have fans at 20% of capacity. That could change depending on what happens with the fall sports, of course. Not sure what I’d do, but would like to have the option. Spring Training without fans would mean things have gotten worse, with a regular season without fans, at least at the start, likely following, and a labor-management dispute about how many games to play in 2021.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogChamps! The best Dodgers team ever ends L.A.'s 32-year title drought | ESPN
(28 - 12:29pm, Oct 28)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogAre analytics to blame for Rays’ Kevin Cash pulling Blake Snell too early from Game 6 of 2020 World Series?
(27 - 12:27pm, Oct 28)
Last: base ball chick

NewsblogRob Manfred booed while presenting World Series trophy to Dodgers; fans confused by speech
(9 - 12:27pm, Oct 28)
Last: Jay Seaver

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(72 - 12:25pm, Oct 28)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogPadres’ Luis Campusano charged with felony marijuana possession in Georgia
(20 - 12:17pm, Oct 28)
Last: ericm

NewsblogJustin Turner of Los Angeles Dodgers pulled from World Series after positive COVID-19 test
(30 - 12:17pm, Oct 28)
Last: .

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10184 - 11:56am, Oct 28)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogHow Wrigley Field got lights, night games in 1988 | MLB.com
(11 - 11:23am, Oct 28)
Last: Meatwad

NewsblogWORLD SERIES 2020 OMNICHATTER!
(833 - 11:18am, Oct 28)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-28-2020
(1 - 10:42am, Oct 28)
Last: Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee)

Newsblog‘Home, home, home!’ How Dodgers foiled Manuel Margot’s stealing home gamble
(32 - 8:45am, Oct 28)
Last: TJ

NewsblogSpokesperson: Mayor Bill de Blasio still 'evaluating' Mets sale to Steve Cohen
(22 - 8:42am, Oct 28)
Last: Adam Starblind

NewsblogClayton Kershaw repairs his playoff legacy with Game 5 win
(16 - 3:14am, Oct 28)
Last: Moeball

NewsblogCardinals should extend Molina, but ask him to waive his Instagram account
(34 - 1:40am, Oct 28)
Last: bjhanke

NewsblogJeff Bagwell Talks About Being an Alcoholic For the First Time
(12 - 1:30am, Oct 28)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

Page rendered in 0.3399 seconds
48 querie(s) executed