Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, May 15, 2020

Proposing A 44-Game 2020 MLB Season, Expanded Playoffs

So here’s our proposal. Instead of an 81-game season and an expanded 14-team playoffs, cut the season even more dramatically to 44 games with a 20-team playoff format.

Is it radical? Absolutely. Is it ideal? Not a chance. Is it the best from an array of bad options? Maybe.

MLB argues that some teams will lose money on regular-season games without fans. Cutting the season from 81 games to 44 reduces those issues, while expanding the playoffs potentially adds to postseason revenues.

For the players, such a proposal doesn’t require tearing up the current deal. Players have already agreed to be paid at a prorated amount based on the number of games played—so if there were a 44-game regular season, players would be paid 27 percent of their full yearly salaries. With a 20-team playoff, most MLB players could expect to receive postseason shares as well (the postseason revenue split would also need to be negotiated between MLB and the MLBPA if playoffs are to expand).

The 44-game schedule would allow each team to play six games against its other division opponents (24 total games) and four games against each of the five teams in the teams from the other league’s similar division. The NL East and AL East, NL Central and AL Central and NL West and AL West would play each other.

In our 44-game season, the regular season could be played in roughly seven weeks. The playoffs themselves would take another six weeks or so to resolve.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 15, 2020 at 12:48 PM | 26 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: coronavirus

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: May 15, 2020 at 06:50 PM (#5951004)
For the players, such a proposal doesn’t require tearing up the current deal. Players have already agreed to be paid at a prorated amount based on the number of games played—so if there were a 44-game regular season, players would be paid 27 percent of their full yearly salaries.

Surely they see why players may not find this alternative as attactive as an 81-game season.
   2. Rally Posted: May 15, 2020 at 09:03 PM (#5951051)
You aren't kidding. Why not just forgo the regular season (that way they don't have pay anybody) and have a 30 team playoff? You change the balance of season games vs playoff, there won't be any agreement unless the compensation model is altered accordingly.
   3. cardsfanboy Posted: May 15, 2020 at 10:30 PM (#5951080)
At least with an 81 game season, you have an argument to double the stats for those players who are potentially hof bound (with the normal caveats) but 44 games just seems weird, more like a tournament proposal or an olympic thing.... (a bit larger, but not by much)

I want more regular season games, I get they aren't happening as much as we like, but for this time frame, it's a one year hiccuup, and do what you have to do. Double headers galore, sure... 10 run rules or even other mercy rules to speed the game up, sure... whatever you have to do to present something that resembles mlb baseball...

Sadly I won't be able to see it, as sling hasn't been able to convince fox sports midwest and the others back to their network, and anything more than $25 a month for tv is just stupid expensive.
   4. Mayor Blomberg Posted: May 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM (#5951084)
OK, this isn't serious, just some arranging pixels. Good.
   5. DJS Thinks Apples and Oranges are Similar Posted: May 16, 2020 at 03:43 AM (#5951119)
Owners wouldn't go for this, simply because it'll drop most of them below the minimum games promised in their TV deals.
   6. Adam Starblind Posted: May 16, 2020 at 07:58 AM (#5951125)
At some point, expanding the playoffs just gets stupid, and that point lies somewhere south of 20 qualifying teams.
   7. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: May 16, 2020 at 08:10 AM (#5951127)
Another week during the pandemic of MLB peeing all over its own shoes. While the other major sports quietly figure out how to make things happen, baseball just keeps shooting ideas around, with the most motion and the least movement of any of the four major team sports.

Blake Snell's remarks this week were quite revelatory as to the unlikelihood of MLB playing in 2020.
   8. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: May 16, 2020 at 08:27 AM (#5951129)
You aren't kidding. Why not just forgo the regular season (that way they don't have pay anybody) and have a 30 team playoff?
The idea I had back when MLB was talking about played the season in Florida: Pull together two barnstorming teams of AAAA players, free agents, and other warm bodies, then play a realigned mini-season and an expanded and altered playoffs. Divide your 32 teams into 8 "pods". Every team in every pod plays everyone else 8 times each home & away. The top two from each group go on a college-style playoff (8 "super-regionals" and an 8 team double-elimination tournament followed by a short championship series) while the losers go into a tournament of best-of-three series with enough of a money incentive at the end that players take it seriously. Every team is guaranteed 50 games minimum, every team still has a chance to win something at the end of the 48-game regular season (everyone gets a participation trophy!), and there's a lot of playoffs to bring in TV money.

I don't think it's a, especially realistic idea, but you have to admit that it's definitely an idea.
   9. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 16, 2020 at 11:55 PM (#5951363)
135 games.... 81 games... 44 games...

Just give it up. It ain't happenin'.
   10. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: May 17, 2020 at 03:28 AM (#5951386)
Baseball is dead. Again.
   11. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 17, 2020 at 10:51 AM (#5951414)
It isn't dead, but it isn't happening in 2020.
   12. Tin Angel Posted: May 17, 2020 at 06:04 PM (#5951499)
162 game season starting July 1st. Playoffs in January, then two weeks off before spring training starts in mid-February.
   13. Mayor Blomberg Posted: May 17, 2020 at 06:22 PM (#5951503)
162 game season starting July 1st. Playoffs in January, then two weeks off before spring training starts in mid-February.

You've really got it in for the owners!
   14. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: May 17, 2020 at 07:24 PM (#5951509)
Another week during the pandemic of MLB peeing all over its own shoes. While the other major sports quietly figure out how to make things happen, baseball just keeps shooting ideas around, with the most motion and the least movement of any of the four major team sports.

I think a lotof this is how baseball/MLB is covered compared to other sports. For some reason the business of baseball seems to get a degree of attention that doesn't exist for the other sports.
   15. Mayor Blomberg Posted: May 17, 2020 at 08:35 PM (#5951523)
I think, too, there's an urgency to baseball planning right now that other leagues don't face. We're past the end of the NBA regular season and before the beginning of the NFL preseason, so Goodell can say whatever he wants with no immediate question, and hockey is ... hockey. But we're at the quarter-pole, more or less, for the baseball season.
   16. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: May 17, 2020 at 09:03 PM (#5951524)
Screw baseball until all 30 parks can be played in. If they want to play a "season" confined to Florida, Texas and Arizona, just call it an Exhibition season and don't keep any records.
   17. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 17, 2020 at 09:37 PM (#5951526)
Screw baseball until all 30 parks can be played in. If they want to play a "season" confined to Florida, Texas and Arizona, just call it an Exhibition season and don't keep any records.
For games played without spectators, it doesn’t really matter what ballparks are used - the locations are just TV studios. If the Arizona-Texas-Florida plan is more feasible, go with it. On the other hand, if most MLB ballparks are OK, there's no reason a few hotspots should prevent the remaining teams from playing, either. MLB needs to be creative, using spring training and/or neutral sites if necessary.
   18. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 17, 2020 at 11:00 PM (#5951531)
This seems a bit unfair. MLB is trying to figure out how to start its season. The NFL has many months to figure that out. The NBA and NHL seasons are over; either they'll play some playoffs if things come back or they won't.
   19. Mayor Blomberg Posted: May 17, 2020 at 11:13 PM (#5951533)
Am I on Nieporent's ignore list?
   20. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 17, 2020 at 11:19 PM (#5951535)
Yes.
   21. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 17, 2020 at 11:19 PM (#5951536)
Also, I just have a bad habit of not scrolling down and reading the whole thread before responding.
   22. Mayor Blomberg Posted: May 18, 2020 at 12:25 AM (#5951548)
:) Whew! And, yeah, I do the same; bad habit that comes from grading papers, I think.
   23. Karl from NY Posted: May 18, 2020 at 03:52 PM (#5951762)
For games played without spectators, it doesn’t really matter what ballparks are used - the locations are just TV studios.

It does for teams that constructed themselves to, say, take advantage of a short outfield porch or high-altitude air and so on.
   24. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: May 18, 2020 at 07:29 PM (#5951844)

I've often said I want baseball 24/7/365. I want to wake up in the middle of the night, in the middle of January, turn on the radio and hear a live baseball game. ("Bottom of the fourth here in Beijing, the Mets lead the Dragons, 2-0...")
   25. Tin Angel Posted: May 19, 2020 at 01:14 AM (#5951904)
I've often said I want baseball 24/7/365. I want to wake up in the middle of the night, in the middle of January, turn on the radio and hear a live baseball game. ("Bottom of the fourth here in Beijing, the Mets lead the Dragons, 2-0...")

Agreed. And if they are REAL Americans they will play. And take a pay cut.
   26. pikepredator Posted: May 19, 2020 at 11:49 AM (#5951984)

It beats staring out the window and waiting for spring, that's for sure.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.