Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Rays grab data card shaken loose from Kirk’s wrist, deny Blue Jays’ request to return it

Kevin Kiermaier grabbed a Toronto Blue Jays data card shaken loose from Alejandro Kirk’s wristband during a play at the plate and the Tampa Bay Rays later laughed off a request to return the proprietary sheet.

The incident during the bottom of the sixth inning in Monday’s 6-4 Rays win added another element of intrigue to the rivalry between the AL East clubs.

Several Blue Jays declined to discuss the matter while Rays general manager Erik Neander deferred comment, saying he had just learned of Kiermaier’s actions and was headed to the clubhouse to better understand what happened.

Rays manager Kevin Cash later came out of the clubhouse to chat with Blue Jays counterpart Charlie Montoyo.

Asked about the matter, captured on video, Kiermaier said that he didn’t realize it was the Blue Jays’ card when he picked it up. “I never even looked at it, I’ll say that,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m not going to drop it or hand it back.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 21, 2021 at 09:38 PM | 104 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: blue jays, rays

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Lassus Posted: September 24, 2021 at 06:43 AM (#6041431)
I know I'm super, super late, but how is collecting data cheating? ("cheat sheet")

Perhaps I'm being more literal than intended, but with all the cheating talk flying around lately, that how I'm reading it.

As far as "y'all never played sports" if you think it should be returned, my dad coached HS sports from when I was born until I was out of college, and I played everything, including baseball. I'll settle for "y'all weren't big enough assholes while playing sports". I mean, do what though wilt, but this is simply shitty behavior, and teaching people to be jerks.
   102. Lassus Posted: September 24, 2021 at 06:59 AM (#6041432)
Perhaps I'm being more literal than intended, but with all the cheating talk flying around lately, that how I'm reading it.

And to add to this, that it DESERVED to be stolen, as a result.
   103. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 24, 2021 at 07:46 AM (#6041434)
Too many people here are trying to create custom definitions of "equipment" in order to exclude these cards, and every attempt has been dumb and transparently so. For a MLB game equipment is, plainly, stuff people are equipped with to aid in their participation in the game.
There are many ways in which it isn't equipment. First, it's just not the sort of object for which that word would ordinarily be used. If one goes to a factory or construction site or whatever, the tools and machinery would be called equipment. The safety gear the workers would use would be called equipment. But the safety manuals? Who would use the term "equipment" for those? In an office setting, one might describe the laptops and the big screen and the white boards as "equipment" that needs to be cleaned up from the meeting room after the meeting — but nobody would describe the memos and the client files and such as "equipment." Pieces of paper with information on them are not called "equipment."

Second, as a functional matter it isn't equipment; it's not used for actual game play, the way bats and gloves and balls are.

But that having been said, I fail to see why the "equipment" label vel non has any significance as to the Rays' ethical obligations. As long as there's nothing unethical about using one of these cards (and I don't think they belong on the field, but my personal view has nothing to do with whether it's an accepted part of the game), then of course the Rays can't keep it. But they can look at it, unless it's understood among everyone that they can't.
   104. Karl from NY Posted: September 24, 2021 at 03:28 PM (#6041487)
It doesn't matter if it's game equipment or not. Non-equipment items found on a playing field would be returned too by anyone decent. Like a necklace or charm or something. You wouldn't just declare "finders keepers".
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Yost (Voxter)
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog2021 LCS OMNICHATTER!
(704 - 1:00am, Oct 23)
Last: Voodoo

Sox TherapyWhat a Ride
(1 - 11:52pm, Oct 22)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

Sox TherapyThe Boston Red Sox Will Play for the Pennant
(195 - 11:50pm, Oct 22)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(299 - 11:50pm, Oct 22)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogCarlton Fisk kept it fair, but Keith Olbermann’s attempt to sell historic ball is foul
(40 - 11:04pm, Oct 22)
Last: Best Dressed Chicken in Town

NewsblogChris Taylor hits 3 home runs, leads Dodgers to huge NLCS Game 5 win over Braves
(2 - 7:08pm, Oct 22)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogThe fans' way at Fenway: loud, louder, loudest
(57 - 7:01pm, Oct 22)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-21-2021
(16 - 6:59pm, Oct 22)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogIt’s time for the city of Chicago to repeal the Wrigley Field night game ordinance
(28 - 6:16pm, Oct 22)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogYankees GM Brian Cashman says club will 'address' shortstop and 'evaluate' catcher positions
(14 - 6:08pm, Oct 22)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-22-2021
(5 - 5:46pm, Oct 22)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(459 - 5:14pm, Oct 22)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogDodgers Albert Pujols Hits the COVID-19 Injured List
(223 - 12:28pm, Oct 22)
Last: 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price

NewsblogNew MLB CBA should include amnesty clause
(18 - 8:22am, Oct 22)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogBaseball Games Are Still Too Long—and Getting Longer
(110 - 5:52am, Oct 22)
Last: McCoy

Page rendered in 0.1916 seconds