Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, September 17, 2021

Remorseful Thom Brennaman deserves to work again now; He’s already suffered 14 months of hell

First, how are you holding up?

I’m a man of faith, I never get down on myself. I said to myself right away, this will be the start of better things for me. Yes, there are times I wish I was at the ballpark but you can’t agonize over it. If you do, you’re wasting your time.

How are you being treated in your hometown of Cincinnati?

If I’m in the grocery or getting a cup of coffee at the local convenient shop, 99% of those I bump into, I’ll hear, ‘We wish you were back, we miss you!’ Let’s say it’s even 90%. Are execs going to make a decision to appease the 10%?  Wouldn’t you listen to the massive 90%?

Moving on, Black representation among play-by-play broadcasters is alarmingly small. Only one of the 15 weekly NFL play-by-players is black. That’s a terrible under-representation. Whose fault is it?

We can all share the blame. There’s a need to build demand at a younger age. We’ve been involved with growing a communication department at our local high school here in the Cincinnati area. Let’s hope that it will attract more minorities into the business.

When I was working football for Fox, I was asked to work with Ron Pitts. The network was expecting new analysts and there was hope to move Ron to play-by-play. He did it for a while. But yes, there’s lots more work to be done so that play-by-play is more minority inclusive .

Football or baseball? Which do you miss more?

Football. I liked the broadcast team with which I worked. I loved Chris Spielman like my own brother.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 17, 2021 at 10:10 AM | 110 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: thom brennaman

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Perry Posted: September 22, 2021 at 05:32 PM (#6041094)
It was in September and he stayed on MNF the rest of the season but it was his last, and the Garrett incident definitely contributed. Cosell was as far from racist as you can get and nobody who knew him (including Garrett) thought otherwise. It was probably a dumb thing to say but as he pointed out at the time (and there was tape to back it up), he'd used the same expression on air to describe small, scrappy white players.
   102. Srul Itza Posted: September 22, 2021 at 07:12 PM (#6041109)
Does anybody remember watching Cosell's last boxing broadcast? It was the Larry Holmes-Randall Tex Cobb thing -- I would not call it a fight, per se. For 15 rounds, Cobb walked into Holmes jab. 15 Rounds of getting jabbed in the face, over and over again, with nary any other action. Cobb could not get close enough to do anything, except bleed, and Holmes could not end it.

Cosell remarked something about "Do they realize that they are constructing an argument for the abolition of the sport?".

I believe he swore off boxing telecasts after that.
   103. Jose Has Absurd Goosebump Arms Posted: September 22, 2021 at 08:00 PM (#6041120)
I remember watching that fight at my aunt and uncle’s house in New Jersey with my father. Day after thanksgiving as I recall. Cosell stopped talking about the 7th or 8th round as I remember it.
   104. baxter Posted: September 23, 2021 at 12:29 AM (#6041198)
92 Yes agree w/you on Cosell. Also, 101, I remember, it must have been 1981 when Mike Norris was having that great year for the A's, he was in the announcing booth w/Cosell, probably MNF, not Monday Night Basell, and Cosell referred to Norris as a little monkey. It was very affectionate; he hugging Norris, chucking him on the chin, praising him for the great year he was having. I don't remember any blowback about it all; can't find a reference to it on the internets; but it was my first thought when I heard about the Garrett incident. I agree wholeheartedly that Cosell was as far from racist as you can get, standing up for Ali when it was not popular.

Also, when Woody Allen made funny movies, I think he had a scene in Sleeper when someone was watching clips of people from the 70's. One was Cosell and the person from the future says something like we think people had to watch him (Cosell) for punishment, to which Miles (I think that was Allen's name in the movie) says something like, well yes, that's about right.

Great interview w/Ali (Clay) after he beats Liston.

What was Dandy Don's comment about Fair Hooker?
   105. Perry Posted: September 23, 2021 at 10:57 AM (#6041232)
Cosell was also in another Woody Allen movie, Bananas. There's a revolution in Central America and Cosell is broadcasting it live from the scene. In another scene he calls Woody's character's um, wedding night as if it's a boxing match.
   106. Mayor Blomberg Posted: September 23, 2021 at 04:09 PM (#6041333)
Srul, I do remember that match. I remember him essentially ceasing to call later rounds and spending most of them denouncing it as a disgrace. He was right.
   107. Ron J Posted: September 23, 2021 at 05:44 PM (#6041353)
#106 (and earlier), full fight is available on YouTube. It's remarkable.

In the 10th round Cosell calls out the ref for refusing to stop the fight. At another point he says, "This is terrible". (and this is a guy who loved boxing)

In the 11th he says (going from memory), He might last the full 15, but so what? (and mentions the possibility of long term damage).

In the 12th he says exactly one sentence before there's a brief pause for one of Holmes' gloves to be re-taped. Seems to recall he's being paid to comment, then stops talking until the end of the round when he says (probably in response to his producer) "This kind of savagery doesn't deserve commentation"
   108. Ron J Posted: September 23, 2021 at 05:47 PM (#6041357)
And then he and his partner Don Chevrier (who hasn't said a word in who knows how long) get into a discussion about how one sided the fight is. The biggest title mismatch either has ever seen.

EDIT: In the 15th round Chevrier laughs in response to Cosell's. "This is the 15th and final round. Thank God." and a little later says, "Holmes has got to be arm weary if nothing else."

As little as Cosell was saying, Chevrier was saying much, much less.
   109. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 23, 2021 at 06:05 PM (#6041361)
I just watched (or had on in the background) the last 4 rounds. They didn't discuss anything other than "why the F is this still happening?"
   110. Ron J Posted: September 23, 2021 at 06:15 PM (#6041363)
#109 Yeah. And if anything Chevrier seems more appalled than Cosell. In the in between round discussion I mentioned Chevrier mentions that if a standing 8 count was an option the fight would have been long over. And in the 15th he mentions how Cobb couldn't even find his corner at the end of the 14th.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMinnie, Gil, Buck among 6 elected to Hall
(92 - 10:40am, Dec 07)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(49 - 10:17am, Dec 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogWhat Does Endeavor, Silver Lake’s Push Into Baseball Mean For the Minors?
(14 - 9:59am, Dec 07)
Last: Cris E

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(19 - 9:41am, Dec 07)
Last: Nasty Nate

NewsblogMajor League Baseball is headed for a lockout. Is Ted Cruz the only one who can stop it?
(8 - 7:28am, Dec 07)
Last: sotapop

NewsblogRed Sox, Astros Interested In Trevor Story
(3 - 6:08am, Dec 07)
Last: Walt Davis

Hall of MeritJoe DiMaggio
(39 - 2:15am, Dec 07)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogA’s reportedly eyeing Tropicana site for possible Strip ballpark
(29 - 12:48am, Dec 07)

NewsblogOT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2021 - January 2022)
(30 - 12:33am, Dec 07)

NewsblogHere is Mets' preliminary list of managerial candidates
(12 - 12:01am, Dec 07)

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1281 - 10:20pm, Dec 06)
Last: spivey 2

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(104 - 9:26pm, Dec 06)
Last: LargeBill

NewsblogOT - NHL Thread
(36 - 8:00pm, Dec 06)
Last: Jose Has Absurd Goosebump Arms

NewsblogBaseball Hall of Fame ballot 2022: Alex Rodriguez, David Ortiz join; Bonds, Clemens, Schilling in final year
(98 - 6:21pm, Dec 06)
Last: dark

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(37 - 1:45pm, Dec 06)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

Page rendered in 0.2088 seconds
48 querie(s) executed