Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Rockies to land Bryant for 7 years, $182M

The Rockies are poised to add a huge bat to their lineup in Kris Bryant, according to a report by MLB Network insider Jon Heyman. Colorado has reached a seven-year, $182 million deal with the former MVP third baseman, Heyman tweeted on Wednesday. The club has not confirmed the deal.

It was a season of transition for Bryant in 2021—he was traded from the only team he had ever known, the Cubs, to the Giants in July. The 2015 NL Rookie of the Year and ’16 MVP had a tough year in ’20, when he was sidelined by injury and hit just .206/.293/.351 with four homers in 147 plate appearances in the pandemic-shortened campaign.

But Bryant bounced back to put up solid numbers in ’21 despite being traded midseason, finishing with an .835 OPS and 25 homers in 144 games. He was a key contributor for the Giants down the stretch, helping San Francisco edge out the archrival Dodgers to become the first team other than Los Angeles to win the NL West in nine years.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 16, 2022 at 06:31 PM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: kris bryant, rockies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Moses Taylor loves a good maim Posted: March 16, 2022 at 06:40 PM (#6068047)
Glad to see him get paid.

How many years until the Rockies pay someone to take him off their hands? 3?
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 16, 2022 at 06:55 PM (#6068050)
I'd still rather have Nolan Arenado and his contract than this contract, but if Bryant can stay healthy, he's going to be a lot of fun to watch in that ballpark.
   3. Howie Menckel Posted: March 16, 2022 at 07:38 PM (#6068056)
He already got his ring, so why not?

a key for the Rockies undoubtedly is that he can take playing time from MLB-ready prospects at up to five different positions* - and for once, be the veteran who actually is better than them. a dream scenario for this front office.

MLB starts by Bryant:
638 3B
101 LF
83 RF
23 1B
14 CF

(and 3 MLB innings at SS !)
   4. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: March 16, 2022 at 08:16 PM (#6068065)
Bryant did a really good job establishing the image of a superstar. ROY one year, followed by MVP and curse-breaking the next. He's really not a superstar though. He's... pretty good. As for the Arenado comparison - Arenado is better and a year older, but he's also making a lot more money.
   5. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 16, 2022 at 08:19 PM (#6068068)
Kris Bryant has been traded to the Cardinals with $40M for Tommy Edman, Lars Nootbar, Jose Oquendo, and two A ball pitchers who just learned how to pitch.
   6. The Duke Posted: March 16, 2022 at 08:24 PM (#6068070)
This is an ok tradeoff. They got a Cost controlled starting pitcher and one decent prospect for $50 million from the Cards and then signed Bryant for $9 million a year less Arenado who has clearly declined offensively and defensively from his peak.
   7. bookbook Posted: March 16, 2022 at 08:46 PM (#6068075)
So, what’s Correa worth? $375m, $400m.
   8. Meatwad Posted: March 16, 2022 at 10:27 PM (#6068086)
Cheap ass ricketts.
   9. Brian C Posted: March 16, 2022 at 10:48 PM (#6068089)
Cheap ass ricketts.

My feeling as a Cubs fan is that if the Cubs had given Bryant this extension instead of trading him, I'd have said "Cool, I'm glad they're keeping him around."

But at the same time, if I was an actual GM, I probably would not have wanted to give Bryant this deal.
   10. Meatwad Posted: March 16, 2022 at 11:24 PM (#6068100)
Who else will they spend the money on? He was ROy than MVP and won the world series. If he isnt the type of player they spend on than who is?
   11. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:28 AM (#6068103)
And Freeman is off the board, Dodgers 6/162

It could be worse Cub fans. Us Red Sox fans actually have a team that's pretty good and so far the club has signed NO ONE.(well a couple of Bloomsian relievers and that's it)
   12. JimMusComp misses old primer... Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:30 AM (#6068104)
And Freeman is off the board, Dodgers 6/162

Damn. The Dodgers are just made of money....er, willing to spend a portion of the massive amounts of money being made by the sport.
   13. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:41 AM (#6068105)
Cheap ass ricketts.

They're losing so much money owning the Cubs that they want to double down on it and buy a soccer team too.

"Sure, we lose money on every game we play, but we make it up in volume."
   14. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:59 AM (#6068106)
Who else will they spend the money on? He was ROy than MVP and won the world series. If he isnt the type of player they spend on than who is?
To be fair, you realize it’s not October 2016, right? Some stuff has happened since then.
   15. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 04:09 AM (#6068115)
Good for Bryant but Rockies' FA deals have never gone well. Interesting question as to how much longer he'll stay at 3B -- it's only 184 games there over the last 3 years although he seems to have done OK. It will be an interesting ballpark for him too. He's not an EV monster but he's gotten the K-rate under control and spreads the ball around pretty well which should play well in Coors' big OF. And of course will he get killed by the dreaded Coors effect? (Career 893 home, 868 road which is pretty standard.)
   16. dejarouehg Posted: March 17, 2022 at 08:33 AM (#6068120)
I'm a big KB fan, (and am taking a bath on all the money I've invested in his baseball cards,) but I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockies owner woke up this morning and said, "I did what?????"

Not sure what version of KB Meatwad has been watching the last few years but KB's fall from sure-fire superstar to occasionally really good player has been sad.

And, for all the whining about the service time issue, it turns out that he benefitted by it. Had he been a free agent after the disastrous 2020 season, (where the Cubs feel forced not to give him the QO,) who knows what would have happened on the open market. Instead, he has an OK 2021 year (for those who want to overstate it, the Giants never indicated having any interest in him afterwards,) and gets a great deal.

Interestingly, when after last summer's mass exodus Jed Hoyer said that he felt the Cubs' offers {ASSUMING THE REPORTING WAS ACCURATE!!} to Baez, Bryant (rumored but never convinced that it was anything concrete,) and Rizzo would stand up over time, he was right.

Baez approx. $40 Million less.
Rizzo at least $38 Million less. This one is the most verifiable on the low end.
KB rumor was for 10 years @ $250, which, if true, is another feather in Boras' cap.

Regardless, I'm happy for KB that Boras was able to find the one dumb owner.

17. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:56 PM (#6068158)
KB rumor was for 10 years @ $250, which, if true, is another feather in Boras' cap.
Am I misunderstanding you? How is turning down 10/$250 and then getting 7/$182 a feather in Boras' cap? Yeah, the AAV is lower, but I would think Bryant would take $22.66M per year for his age 37-39 seasons in a heartbeat.
   18. Ron J Posted: March 17, 2022 at 01:05 PM (#6068159)
#17 Even if the raw numbers are correct (I'm skeptical), an awful lot depends on the structure of the deal.
   19. DL from MN Posted: March 17, 2022 at 01:27 PM (#6068165)
Bryant has a RoY, MVP, World Series ring and 4 ASG appearances. Now he's headed to a team where he can pile up offensive counting stats (especially with an NL DH) and is nearly a lock to be the team ASG representative. He's also an hour and a half away from his home in Las Vegas by air.
   20. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 17, 2022 at 01:46 PM (#6068170)
Am I misunderstanding you? How is turning down 10/$250 and then getting 7/$182 a feather in Boras' cap?

Bryant also got about $60M in arb years before hitting free agency, so assuming the $250M was offered as part of his arb years, its about a wash.
   21. SoSH U at work Posted: March 17, 2022 at 01:58 PM (#6068174)
and is nearly a lock to be the team ASG representative.

That seems to be quite a stretch.
   22. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 03:24 PM (#6068187)
#17 ... I think he was being facetious.

I never saw a rumor nearly as specific as 10/$250. The much vaguer rumor that I vaguely recall was also never tied to when it was offered. I'll stand by what I said at the time -- if the offer was before the 2018 injuries then it was reasonable to turn it down; if it was made 2019 or later then it was silly to turn it down. Given offering a 10-year deal anytime after 2019 would have signed him through age 38, I don't believe the Cubs offered such a deal then.

I don't know what the Rizzo rumor was. But if this are all true, why didn't the Cubs take advantage of it. "We made a better offer 1-3 years ago than they got today" is not an excuse for not matching/beating the offer they got today. That's not to say they should or should not have matched/beaten these offers just noting that today's question is "why didn't you beat the 6/$140 offer for Baez this offseason?"

Plus of course what you're saying is that Hoyer and the Cubs couldn't properly evaluate talent if they were willing to overpay these guys by $150 M.
   23. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 07:55 PM (#6068219)
For some reason, b-r doesn't list the Rox 2021 AS but going back:

2019: Arenado, Blackmon, Dahl (!), Story
2018: Arenado, Blackmon, Story
2017: Arenado, Blackmon, Greg Holland (!), LeMahieu
2016: CarGo, Arenado
2015: Arenado, LeMahieu, Tulo
2014: Tulo, Blackmon
2013: Tulo, CarGo, Cuddyer
2012: CarGo
2011: Tulo
2019: Tulo, Ubaldo

That's not a lot of variety but generally deserving. Looks like Rox fans turn out to vote too -- I don't know how many were injury replacements but the Rox had at least one in the starting lineup for each of those years except 2010. I'd say Bryant has a very good shot for at least the next 2-3 AS games, barring injury. Certainly for 2022, there's not a lot of obvious competition (Freeland? Cron? Rodgers?)
   24. Walt Davis Posted: March 18, 2022 at 02:54 PM (#6068269)
I hadn't even thought about it ... did they offer this to Story and he turned it down? Or would they rather have Bryant at this price? Are there any good Story rumors cuz my instinct is that maybe he can get an 8th year out of somebody (magical age 36) but won't beat this AAV.

Baez 23 WAR, 13 WAA, 4.7 WAR/650, 6/$140
Story 27 WAR, 17 WAA, 5.5 WAR/650, ???
Bryant 29 WAR, 17 WAA, 4.9 WAR/650, 7/$182

But Bryant is just 11 WAR, 5 WAA over the last 4 years, 3.7 WAR/650. The risks with Javy (all those Ks) and Bryant (gotten fragile, not the hitter he was, how long at 3B) are pretty obvious. Story kinda throws me. I probably should trust OPS+ and WAR but I'm forever suspicious of Coors. He could easily be the Matt Holliday of SS, he could easily be JJ Hardy (very solid player through 33 but not somebody you'd want at 6/$150+). Still I've got to consider him less of a risk than Baez and probably an at least equal upside.

Anyway, I lost my point which is that I'm far from sure Bryant is worth the most here but I think he's gonna end up with the biggest contract -- maybe Story will top him in total $ for an 8-year deal. I will say that Bryant is a very marketable player.
   25. dejarouehg Posted: March 19, 2022 at 10:03 AM (#6068310)
#17 ... I think he was being facetious.
Thank you. I forget that sarcasm doesn't always translate well in writing.

Bryant has a RoY, MVP, World Series ring and 4 ASG appearances. Now he's headed to a team where he can pile up offensive counting stats (especially with an NL DH) and is nearly a lock to be the team ASG representative. He's also an hour and a half away from his home in Las Vegas by air.

My guess is the 10 for $250M was never accurate but might have been close.

To state now that in the end, the total dollars he will have earned by the end of this contract, albeit accurate, is revisionist history and completely misses the point.

The MLBPA made Bryant the poster child of service manipulation, due to the perceived/anticipated funds he lost.

There's little doubt that Boras, to the extent he may have held sway over KB, would have pushed him to ignore any extension because in 2017, he was still considered in top handful of players and to accept an extension - especially when Boras was touting KB as a $30MM player - goes against the MLBPA and Boras Corp agenda. And it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't have preferred to stay in Chicago vs. Colorado, notwithstanding the fact that he's 90 minutes closer to flying home.

Regardless, if correct, it doesn't suck to have such a cushy landing spot and I will be tuning into Rockies games in the hopes that he gets his game back and can take advantage of the thin air.

(Some analysts have tried to justify the trade by saying he's already won his ring so it made sense to go for the most money in a place where he can get his stats back on Hall of Fame track (????). Have they not heard of Todd Helton? And, do they think that he's going to hit 333 HR in 7 years to get to the minimum threshold 500 HR mark?)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 8-15, 2022
(48 - 9:30am, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogEjected Twins manager Rocco Baldelli blasts overturned call in loss to Jays as 'one of the worst moments' of umpiring he has ever seen
(23 - 9:20am, Aug 09)
Last: McCoy

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4087 - 8:35am, Aug 09)
Last: spivey

NewsblogNationals burned by quirky 'fourth-out rule' as Pirates score despite lining into inning-ending double play
(67 - 8:31am, Aug 09)
Last: Buck Coats

Sox TherapyDead Line
(29 - 8:14am, Aug 09)
Last: jacksone (AKA It's OK...)

NewsblogRed Sox announcer and Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley to retire from NESN after the 2022 season
(11 - 7:48am, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogSt. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs to play 2-game series in June of 2023 in London
(30 - 7:02am, Aug 09)
Last: Cooper Nielson

NewsblogThis angle of Mets closer Edwin Díaz's absolutely electric bullpen entrance is so darn awesome
(5 - 6:47am, Aug 09)
Last: Cooper Nielson

Gonfalon CubsI guess we're still doing this?
(49 - 5:48am, Aug 09)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogJarren Duran misplays two fly balls, shouts at fans in Red Sox vs. Royals game
(9 - 4:44am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogThe Padres Go for Broke With a Roster of Superstars
(2 - 4:19am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogPete Rose brushes off question about alleged sex with minor: ‘It was 55 years ago, babe’
(77 - 2:35am, Aug 09)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogFangraphs: Jacob deGrom Is Back
(1 - 12:33am, Aug 09)
Last: Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb

NewsblogMiguel Cabrera of Detroit Tigers clarifies stance on future, says he'll return next season as initially planned
(11 - 10:10pm, Aug 08)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogMariners add a free agent: Tucker, the clubhouse dog
(3 - 7:59pm, Aug 08)
Last: A triple short of the cycle

Page rendered in 0.3141 seconds
45 querie(s) executed