Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 12, 2009

Rosenthal: Selig: I have no desire to expand instant replay

Another

“I don’t really have any desire to increase the amount of replay — period,” Selig told FOXSports.com on Monday.

Talk of expanding replay beyond boundary calls on home runs resumed after a missed call down the left-field line on a ball hit by Joe Mauer in the 11th inning of Game 2 of the Twins’ series against the Yankees.

Lopez

Mauer’s ball bounced several inches fair, but left-field umpire Phil Cuzzi ruled that it was foul. Cuzzi later admitted to the Newark Star-Ledger that he had made a mistake.

“This goes on every time there’s a controversial call,” Selig said. “I understand the Phil Cuzzi call and others. But frankly, I’m quite satisfied with the way things are.

Tonight

“We need to do a little work, clean up some things. But do I think we need more replay? No. Baseball is not the kind of game that can have interminable delays.”

Commercial

Repoz Posted: October 12, 2009 at 04:27 PM | 128 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: television

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. The Keith Law Blog Blah Blah (battlekow) Posted: October 12, 2009 at 09:54 PM (#3350182)
I don't see anyone really addressing the problem in #69 (or similar issues.) Whatever you think of the NFL replay system, there is one thing it doesn't do, it doesn't change anything after a whistle has been blown. Even if replay clearly shows a runner wasn't down- if the whistle blew, the play is/was dead.

Effectively all "foul" calls are just like whistles (assuming no catch is made of course.) I don't see any practical way to work around that without having umpires trying to re-construct what would have happened had they not blown a call. I'd prefer not to deal with that.

I don't see the problem with assuming the ball is fair and playing it out, then resetting if the ball is determined to be foul on replay. Foul calls are like whistles in football, and like whistles, if replay is in place, they shouldn't be used unless the judgment is certain.
   102. Kiko Sakata Posted: October 12, 2009 at 09:58 PM (#3350189)
Foul calls are like whistles in football, and like whistles, if replay is in place, they shouldn't be used unless the judgment is certain.

I'm sure that Phil Cuzzi was "certain" that Mauer's ball was foul when he made the call. You're asking MLB umpires to completely change the standard they've used throughout their careers.
   103. JMPH Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM (#3350190)
I can't imagine why anyone would support expanding replay without first making a concerted effort to clean up the quality of the umpiring. It's like saying you should always wear gloves when you use the toaster because a broken one might electrocute you. (The bad umpires are the deadly toasters. It's a simile.)
   104. More Dewey is Always Good Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM (#3350194)
I see your point of view, but surely you can understand how replay has been beneficial from the NFL's perspective.

Sure. It stops the gamblers from whining about how this or that call ruined the point spread. The NFL knows where their bread is buttered.
   105. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM (#3350195)
I can't imagine why anyone would support expanding replay without first making a concerted effort to clean up the quality of the umpiring. It's like saying you should always wear gloves when you use the toaster because a broken one might electrocute you. (The bad umpires are the deadly toasters. It's a simile.)

If baseball really cared about that, they'd raise the salaries of minor league umpires by about 200%, so that it wouldn't be such a complete hit-or-miss proposition for someone who thought about making it into a career.
   106. Jack Keefe Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM (#3350198)
Hey I all ways wear gloves when I use the Toaster Mrs Keefe did not raise no dumbies. Toasters today are dangerus Al they operate at a amped-up voltage why we very narroely avoided Tradgey this summer when A.J. Pierogi tried to grab a Frosted Brown Sugar Synonym Poptart out of the clubouse toaster and sustained 2nd degree burns when he dropt it down his Sliding Shorts. But German Die said his Mom all ways put butter on a burn so we spread A.J. with some Lurpak Danish Butter and he was OK only he squished a little every time he squated behind the plate that night so no more Poptarts for me.
   107. esseff Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM (#3350206)
Wrong thread. Move along.
   108. Morty Causa Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM (#3350207)
By the way, there, Andy, what you said at the beginning of the thread with regard to umpires and their "own personal" strike zones is right on. An ump being allowed to have his idosyncratic strike zone is like a cop having his own rules as to what constitutes running a Stop Sign. Umps should have to review in film their calling of strikes with the idea of correcting and improving their performance, and someone with the commissoner's office or the league office should regularly monitor that they do that, especially instilling in them that there is no such thing as a personal strike zone. Umpiring is not artistic expression. You call it as it is defined in the rules. And if you don't, you should be reprimanded and, if necessary, punished, even fined, supended, or expelled. Some things are that simple.
   109. Greg Pope Posted: October 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM (#3350228)
I don't even know if the challenge system has done all that much to make game-calling "better". Things are moving so quickly that half the time replay is totally unclear as to what the "correct" call should have been, and it's a coin-toss as to whether the call on the field will be overturned or not.

And, from an aesthetic standpoint, it sucks most of the excitement out of the moment. Rather than being excited (or pissed off) about a fumble, everyone's waiting around while the referee tries to determine whether his knee was down before he dropped the ball or not.

The only, and I mean only, problem with the NFL's replay system is the moronic requirement that the ref on the field review the call. By the time the coach on the field has thrown the challenge flag, the TV audience has seen the replay from each angle multiple times. It's plenty of time for a ref in the booth to have made a decision. The coach throws the challenge flag, the booth ref can radio down to the ref on the field within 5 seconds what the decision is, the game goes on.

It's idiotic to slow down the whole game so that the ref on the field can make the final call.
   110. Iwakuma Chameleon (jonathan) Posted: October 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM (#3350264)
Hockey might be the only team sport that is better to watch in person than on TV.

This is an absolute truth. Hockey is incredible live.

Anyway I'm not sure what the problem would be with having a booth ump of sorts. If a replay comes up with as egregious a call as the Mauer one, he signals down so they can correct the call. You could even stipulate the situations in which he could signal, to cut out the fluff - after the 7th, game within 3 runs, whatever.
   111. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM (#3350265)
I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone suggested this.

I don't see what's wrong with replay on plays where the umps don't need to make judgement on where the runner(s) would end up. Like the Mauer ball, he's on second if it's a fair ball. Or safe/out calls with no one base.

There can be someone in the booth looking at all the plays, then if the umps decide they need a replay they ask him and he has an answer in 2 seconds.
   112. Zac Schmitt Posted: October 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM (#3350270)
I don't see what's wrong with replay on plays where the umps don't need to make judgement on where the runner(s) would end up. Like the Mauer ball, he's on second if it's a fair ball. Or safe/out calls with no one base.

In essence, I agree, but my problem with t his and other suggestions is that people would complain no matter what. If they awarded Mauer second because the ball went over the wall and then the next inning a Yankee hit a similar ball which was initially ruled foul and didn't bounce over the wall, and subsequently that Yankee was only awarded first after the replay, you don't think every Yankee fan would feel punished because the hit didn't happen to go over the wall?
   113. The Lovesong of J. Alfredo Griffin Posted: October 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM (#3350317)
Why it is important how fans feel? They're not part of the game.
   114. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:14 AM (#3350393)
the next inning a Yankee hit a similar ball which was initially ruled foul and didn't bounce over the wall, and subsequently that Yankee was only awarded first after the replay, you don't think every Yankee fan would feel punished because the hit didn't happen to go over the wall?

There wouldn't be a replay in that situation.
   115. Zac Schmitt Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:18 AM (#3350396)
There wouldn't be a replay in that situation.

And Yankee fans wouldn't feel cheated by that?
   116. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:20 AM (#3350398)
And Yankee fans wouldn't feel cheated by that?

Sucks for them.
   117. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:21 AM (#3350400)
Which is even worse.

edit: comment was in response to #114.
   118. Zac Schmitt Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:24 AM (#3350403)
Sucks for them.

It currently sucks for Twins fans. How is your scenario any better?
   119. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:24 AM (#3350411)
Which is even worse.

edit: comment was in response to #114.

Huh? There's no replay for that play now, how could continuing to have no replay be worse?
   120. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:27 AM (#3350422)
It currently sucks for Twins fans. How is your scenario any better?

The Mauer play is easily fixable. Ball bounced over wall, replay says fair, guy on second. No questions about what would've happened on the bases.
   121. Zac Schmitt Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:27 AM (#3350423)
Huh? There's no replay for that play now, how could continuing to have no replay be worse?

Because what you suggest is replay for some plays but not others, which hardly seems fair. Again, the Yankees would be punished because the Twins were lucky enough to have a ball go over a wall. As it stands, a blown call is a blown call and them's the breaks. It would seem harder, to me at least, to accept not getting a replay whereas your opponent did for a dumb reason like that.

I guess I see your point in that at least some plays would be fixed, but replays for some and not for others? I can't really get behind that.

Edit: Your proposition seems just as reliant on luck as the current one. I don't see how that fixes it.
   122. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:34 AM (#3350458)
But there already is replay for some plays and not others.

Any replay system is going to have replay for some plays and not others.
   123. Zac Schmitt Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:39 AM (#3350469)
No matter what, someone is going to be unhappy. Your suggestion seems tailor made to only the situation which occurred the other night rather than a solution which works to improve the game in all situations.
   124. Mike Emeigh Posted: October 13, 2009 at 01:40 AM (#3350476)
If baseball really cared about that, they'd raise the salaries of minor league umpires by about 200%, so that it wouldn't be such a complete hit-or-miss proposition for someone who thought about making it into a career.

No, if baseball really cared about that (a) they wouldn't leave the care and feeding of minor league umpires to the National Association until they reach AAA, and (b) they would have a defined promotion path for minor league umpires, just like they do for players. They would also have a mandatory retirement age for major league umpires.

But MLB really doesn't care about the umpiring.

-- MWE
   125. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: October 13, 2009 at 03:41 AM (#3350609)
They would also have a mandatory retirement age for major league umpires.

But MLB really doesn't care about the umpiring.
They might, however, care about not being sued; mandatory retirement ages are illegal.
   126. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: October 13, 2009 at 03:46 AM (#3350612)
They might, however, care about not being sued; mandatory retirement ages are illegal.

Except for Part 121 pilots.
   127. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: October 13, 2009 at 05:29 AM (#3350654)
Except for Part 121 pilots.
Yes, and police and firefighters, too. Didn't really think any of these exceptions were worth noting in this context.
   128. Joe Willie Mammoth Posted: October 13, 2009 at 06:19 AM (#3350665)
I like the shock system suggested in post #76. Didn't they try this with Cliff Clavin once in Cheers ("Dance, mailman, dance!")? Don Denkinger would have looked like a burnt piece of toast after about 3 games.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogTom Goodwin, former Boston Red Sox coach, says MLB bullied coaches into getting COVID-19 vaccine: ‘There was no choice’
(33 - 2:38am, Jan 22)
Last: PeteF3

NewsblogBaseball Hall of Fame tracker 2022
(1103 - 1:20am, Jan 22)
Last: base ball chick

Hall of Merit2023 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(126 - 11:16pm, Jan 21)
Last: Chris Cobb

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(2049 - 10:56pm, Jan 21)
Last: rr: cosmopolitan elite

NewsblogRosenthal: The pressure is mounting — MLB cannot afford to lose games this season
(42 - 10:08pm, Jan 21)
Last: dejarouehg

NewsblogSherman: In defense of the blank Hall of Fame ballot
(21 - 9:39pm, Jan 21)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogRobot umpires at home plate moving up to Triple-A for 2022
(14 - 9:28pm, Jan 21)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogEx-Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre sentenced to prison for 2020 murder of toddler in Mexico
(2 - 6:53pm, Jan 21)
Last: The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV)

NewsblogHow a heart attack led to Hall of Famer Greg Maddux spurning Yankees for Braves
(17 - 5:46pm, Jan 21)
Last: Gold Star - just Gold Star

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(258 - 5:41pm, Jan 21)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(454 - 4:24pm, Jan 21)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogMLB kills Rays’ split-city plan with Montreal
(23 - 3:45pm, Jan 21)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogJapan's Giants to establish women's baseball team
(5 - 12:11pm, Jan 21)
Last: will839

NewsblogThe oldest player who ever hit in a game
(8 - 12:47am, Jan 21)
Last: kthejoker

NewsblogHow baseball changed forever in 1972: A timeline of MLB's most memorable events, 50 years later
(20 - 8:39pm, Jan 20)
Last: Howie Menckel

Page rendered in 0.2617 seconds
48 querie(s) executed