Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Sign stealing in baseball is nothing new. The punishment now being meted out is absurd.

No one had the foresight to expect problems before the video systems were installed in the locker rooms? If the violations are so serious that you need to hand out year-long suspensions, you’d better be investigating every team with a hint of suspicion. Otherwise people will think the severity of the punishments are more about face-saving for the Commissioner than justice.

This is an extreme overreaction. Baseball, more than any of the other major professional sports, has cheating baked into the core of its existence. Cheating is as integral to baseball as sunflower seeds and older men in children’s uniforms screaming at umpires. Baseball losing its mind to this degree is just asinine. Sign stealing, like basically all the cheating in the game, is only marginally helpful, at-bat for at-bat. It seems the league has overlearned the lessons of the steroid era and is desperate to seem like it takes policing cheating seriously lest those dark days are revived.

Jim Furtado Posted: January 16, 2020 at 03:04 PM | 109 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: sign stealing

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Cleveland (need new name) fan Posted: January 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM (#5917330)
Any reason you'd limit it to position players? (Unless you think the pitchers didn't know about it, the pitchers were just as guilty as the position players.

I debated pitchers and decided their punishment was too complicated. They didn't personally benefit and they had enough plausible deniability, especially relief pitchers who spent their time in the bullpen, that it would be too hard for MLB to prove their involvement.
   102. CubsInSeven Posted: January 19, 2020 at 10:22 AM (#5917331)
I agree with post 97, this would be an especially egregious offense and should be punished appropriately. In my opinion, this is on a level somewhere between using PEDs and the 1919 Black Sox scandal. Slotting somewhere either above or below Pete Rose’s gambling (depending on whether you feel Pete’s actions truly had any impact on the outcome of games).

Frankly I think the commissioner should rule that any future techie sign stealing will be punished with lifetime bans. Then also state that anyone that fully cooperates with the current investigation(s) will be shown leniency. If anyone lies to the investigators or attempts to deceive in any way that offer will be rescinded. That would likely get nearly everyone to tell the truth and unearth all other potential instances from other teams. Players aren’t going to lie because they don’t know which former or current teammates is going to tell the truth. Then the league can appropriately punish those involved and probably move on from this scandal forever.
   103. Jose Is Absurdly Chatty Posted: January 19, 2020 at 10:40 AM (#5917334)
I debated pitchers and decided their punishment was too complicated. They didn't personally benefit and they had enough plausible deniability, especially relief pitchers who spent their time in the bullpen, that it would be too hard for MLB to prove their involvement.

Has there been any talk about the pitchers being the ones assigned to steal the signs? It seems reasonable to me that they would be the ones best equipped to do it.
   104. pikepredator Posted: January 19, 2020 at 10:44 AM (#5917336)
Has there been any talk about the pitchers being the ones assigned to steal the signs? It seems reasonable to me that they would be the ones best equipped to do it.

on that note, do we even know who was banging on the cans?
   105. Jose Is Absurdly Chatty Posted: January 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM (#5917337)
on that note, do we even know who was banging on the cans?

On that I just assumed it was Brett Gardner.
   106. SoSH U at work Posted: January 19, 2020 at 11:06 AM (#5917342)
On that I just assumed it was Brett Gardner.

For some reason, the Yankees didn't have much success with the Gardner plan - if he bangs the bat 17 times it's a fastball, 18 it's a curve.

107. cookiedabookie Posted: January 19, 2020 at 02:46 PM (#5917381)
Maybe set up ear pieces for pitchers and catchers, avoid putting signs down at all
   108. Barnaby Jones Posted: January 19, 2020 at 04:34 PM (#5917398)
It’s too bad there is no way to get the screens out of the dugouts, bullpens and clubhouses. Unfortunately it’s completely impossible, there is no way to do that.

Well sure, but I was responding to the complaint that this only is possible because pitchers take so long, which I don’t think is true.
   109. Sunday silence Posted: January 19, 2020 at 05:22 PM (#5917409)

funny you should mention that:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2020/01/18/ex-ace-says-tony-la-russa-had-white-sox-using-camera-to-steal-signs-in-80s/
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.