Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Simers: Marcus Thames can’t field, can’t hit righties, won’t talk about it . . are you excited yet?

Consider d-bag button fully engaged.

Maybe it’s because he’s averaged only 44 games a season on defense, prompting an obvious question.

“Are you that horrible on defense that teams don’t think it’s worth playing such a home run threat?’’ I asked by way of introduction.

Maybe somebody else wastes time schmoozing with Tims/Tems, but he’s a one-year rental who has some explaining to do. How bad are you on defense that teams don’t dare risk playing you?

Tims/Tems just smiled.

...When I came back on Tims/Tems, he sat silent. I can see one problem he might have on defense if everyone is relying on him to yell “I got it.”

He said he wasn’t going to talk to me because I hadn’t introduced myself. That would have allowed him to pull out the little card the Dodgers’ PR department provides players advising them how to get a running start on Page 2.

I can’t imagine this is the first time in 10 years that Tims/Tems has been asked why he stinks on defense, thereby limiting his time as a regular player.

Unable to answer, he just stood and walked away.

Repoz Posted: March 22, 2011 at 04:42 PM | 227 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dodgers, media

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. mjs Posted: March 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM (#3777707)
What if that reliever's k rate was the 27th best in baseball history?

How about 26th with Jesse Orosco? Would it be pointless and trite if he asked Jesse Orosco (1295.1 innings in 1252 games) if he's that horrible that he can't be a 7 inning starter?
   202. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM (#3777714)
the barbed satirist holding a mirror to the vices of society

No, Pat Jordan is a barbed satirist. Simers is a trite, repetitive hack.

You want to see how to eviscerate an athlete with a smile? Read Jordan's profiles of Steve Garvey, or OJ, or Jose Canseco.
   203. philistine Posted: March 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM (#3777715)
Would it be pointless and trite if he asked Jesse Orosco (1295.1 innings in 1252 games) if he's that horrible that he can't be a 7 inning starter?

Yes. Not every pitcher can last seven innings.
   204. philistine Posted: March 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM (#3777718)
You want to see how to eviscerate an athlete with a smile?

No. I don't want to see athletes eviscerated. I want to see eviscerated management that doesn't try to make its team as good as it can possibly be. Baseball is full of teams like this and we behave like it's normal.
   205. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM (#3777720)
I want to see eviscerated management that doesn't try to make its team as good as it can possibly be.

Then why are you happy about Simers giving Thames a rasher of ####? Thames isn't management.
   206. phredbird Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:09 PM (#3777734)
Re: not "getting it"--
The problem here is that the conceptual humor is operating at such a high plane. ... Truly, he's "the funniest sportswriter out there."

okay, that was pretty good.

having lived in LA for 20 years

broth, would you like to meet up at a game? i've been trying to get a L.A. BTF meetup at a game for years. the only BTFer i've met yet is tripon, who i haven't seen much of around here lately. i occasionally get freebies from my boss, so i'd be happy to pass one along if you like.
   207. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:23 PM (#3777741)
broth, would you like to meet up at a game? i've been trying to get a L.A. BTF meetup at a game for years. the only BTFer i've met yet is tripon, who i haven't seen much of around here lately. i occasionally get freebies from my boss, so i'd be happy to pass one along if you like.

Sure, that'd be great. I think I responded to one of your earlier attempts to put together a meetup, but that was probably from my old email address. You can email my through my login, though.

How much advance notice do you get on the tickets? Day of?
   208. phredbird Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM (#3777744)
oh no, i get them well in advance. i'll ping you when i get some. my boss is really a great guy. he always gives me the tix to the cards series as part of my allottment.
   209. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM (#3777746)
oh no, i get them well in advance. i'll ping you when i get some.

Please do, that would be great.
   210. Steve Treder Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM (#3777751)
You LA-area Primates are going to SABR in July, yes? It's in Long Beach.
   211. phredbird Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:55 PM (#3777756)
i'm aware of the SABR in July. i'm hoping someone wants to meet up there, too. if anybody is up for that, please feel free to contact me through my email link on BTF.
   212. philistine Posted: March 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM (#3777759)
Then why are you happy about Simers giving Thames a rasher of ####?

He doesn't. That's what the last 200 posts have been about.
   213. Steve Treder Posted: March 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM (#3777761)
i'm aware of the SABR in July. i'm hoping someone wants to meet up there, too. if anybody is up for that, please feel free to contact me through my email link on BTF.

There are always a ton of Primates at SABR. Hell, Dial got SABR to officially recognize BTF as its first-ever on-line chapter. There will be lots of us there.
   214. Nasty Nate Posted: March 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM (#3777762)
Nate, those are your opinions, not examples.

which do you disagree with?

The first two (insert yourself into the story, antagonize your readers) are the main ones, and I don't think are really disputable. An example is this column. They are the hallmark moves of the Mariotti/Shaughnessy types.
   215. Lassus Posted: March 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM (#3777776)
Then why are you happy about Simers giving Thames a rasher of ####?

You should have gone with "collateral damage", it makes you seem less like you're hallucinating.

Even IF Simers was as brilliant as you claim and this article was him at the peak of his Swiftian, Twainly, Pynchonerrific powers, it is STILL a rude, unseemly, and thoughtless way to treat someone if his main purpose - as you repeatedly state - was in going after management. Because your opinion is otherwise does not simply make it so. In fact, as societal mores and etiquette are in fact decided upon BY society, it definitely isn't so, which should be clear.

Now, you may get your "brutal honesty over basic courtesy" utopia by spreading the Simersian word, but discounting the prevailing opinion of the rudeness of his actions because you disagree does not somehow make them not rude.
   216. phredbird Posted: March 25, 2011 at 01:32 AM (#3777802)
There are always a ton of Primates at SABR. Hell, Dial got SABR to officially recognize BTF as its first-ever on-line chapter. There will be lots of us there.

excellent. i guess what i'm looking for is some way to find out exactly where and when i might walk into a room and find other primates. long beach is down the road and all, but its still a drive and i work days. has a sked been posted for what is going to take place at the convention?
   217. phredbird Posted: March 25, 2011 at 01:42 AM (#3777810)
duh. just checked the sabr site. i'll prob. drive down one of those days. if anybody is going to be there and would like to meet, just let me know.
   218. philistine Posted: March 25, 2011 at 09:19 AM (#3777954)
Even IF Simers was as brilliant as you claim and this article was him at the peak of his Swiftian, Twainly, Pynchonerrific powers, it is STILL a rude, unseemly, and thoughtless way to treat someone if his main purpose - as you repeatedly state - was in going after management. Because your opinion is otherwise does not simply make it so. In fact, as societal mores and etiquette are in fact decided upon BY society, it definitely isn't so, which should be clear.

I didn't claim he was brilliant or that he was in the class of those writers (not that I ever found Swift funny and have no idea who Pynchonerrific refers to). The subsequent reaction of Thames has shown that he didn't understand or play the game that Simers plays with the LA teams. This is a societal more that you people don't seem to understand.

Your kneejerk reactions to Simers and his apparently rude question is merely giving him more publicity than he deserves and for all the wrong reasons.

And if you cannot see that this article is all about the Dodgers, then you should never be allowed to read Swift, Twain or the Pynchonerrific guy without going back to literary comprehension class.
   219. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM (#3777973)

Don't try to hang noodles on my ears, man. I read the piece. He was rude as ####.
   220. BobT Posted: March 25, 2011 at 02:27 PM (#3778036)
Basically, philistine is telling us that if we're offended by Simers, it's our fault, not Simers.
   221. Randy Jones Posted: March 25, 2011 at 02:36 PM (#3778048)
Lol, I can't believe philistine's trolling has kept this thread going this long. Looks like SBB has a challenger.
   222. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 25, 2011 at 02:41 PM (#3778052)
Lol, I can't believe philistine's trolling has kept this thread going this long. Looks like SBB has a challenger.

He's either a world-class troll or an artificial intelligence program trying to learn more about human interaction and emotion.
   223. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 25, 2011 at 03:03 PM (#3778071)
Maybe philistine's real goal in this topic is to have 27th-best replace 6th-best as the meme of choice around here.
   224. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 25, 2011 at 03:19 PM (#3778083)
This can't end, this won't end, until the savagely smart pen of Simers makes an upset stomach joke with the punchline "Marcus Tums."
   225. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: March 25, 2011 at 03:19 PM (#3778085)
My challenge today is to use Pynchonerrific in casual conversation.
   226. Lassus Posted: March 25, 2011 at 03:50 PM (#3778114)
Mine is to use Vlad's "Don't try to hang noodles on my ears."

And if you cannot see that this article is all about the Dodgers, then you should never be allowed to read Swift, Twain or the Pynchonerrific guy without going back to literary comprehension class.

Why on earth do you think I don't see that? My point, which you should not be required to go return to college to grasp, is that Simers treated Thames like garbage in the process. It's not a crime, a national tragedy, or something that many people don't do every day to other people; but it is obviously worth commenting on by many.

If you defend this treatment in pursuit of some manner of ineffectual, limping "gotcha" by Simers, that's fine. Just don't be confused if when you treat people the same way, they stop talking to you.
   227. philistine Posted: March 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM (#3778481)
Why on earth do you think I don't see that?

I get confused who thinks what. Some people see TJ's attacks as mindless and gratuitous like a shock jock and his articles as crass as some baseball writers whose work I tend to avoid. Nobody leapt in to correct those people. MCoA and Darren's reductions of his work provoked no reaction to criticize their foolish interpretations so I assume the crowd - you included - is in agreement with them.

My point, which you should not be required to go return to college to grasp, is that Simers treated Thames like garbage in the process.

My point is that a) he didn't treat him like garbage until Thames decided to walk away and b) his apparently rude treatment of him reflected the opinion that the Dodgers have of him. That this is a nobody, a one-year rental, if they can't be bothered with him why should I the journo and why should you the fans? And that actually in reality Simers showed him more respect than the Dodgers have.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMinnie, Gil, Buck among 6 elected to Hall
(91 - 10:35am, Dec 07)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(49 - 10:17am, Dec 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogWhat Does Endeavor, Silver Lake’s Push Into Baseball Mean For the Minors?
(14 - 9:59am, Dec 07)
Last: Cris E

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(19 - 9:41am, Dec 07)
Last: Nasty Nate

NewsblogMajor League Baseball is headed for a lockout. Is Ted Cruz the only one who can stop it?
(8 - 7:28am, Dec 07)
Last: sotapop

NewsblogRed Sox, Astros Interested In Trevor Story
(3 - 6:08am, Dec 07)
Last: Walt Davis

Hall of MeritJoe DiMaggio
(39 - 2:15am, Dec 07)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogA’s reportedly eyeing Tropicana site for possible Strip ballpark
(29 - 12:48am, Dec 07)

NewsblogOT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2021 - January 2022)
(30 - 12:33am, Dec 07)

NewsblogHere is Mets' preliminary list of managerial candidates
(12 - 12:01am, Dec 07)

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1281 - 10:20pm, Dec 06)
Last: spivey 2

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(104 - 9:26pm, Dec 06)
Last: LargeBill

NewsblogOT - NHL Thread
(36 - 8:00pm, Dec 06)
Last: Jose Has Absurd Goosebump Arms

NewsblogBaseball Hall of Fame ballot 2022: Alex Rodriguez, David Ortiz join; Bonds, Clemens, Schilling in final year
(98 - 6:21pm, Dec 06)
Last: dark

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(37 - 1:45pm, Dec 06)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

Page rendered in 0.2564 seconds
48 querie(s) executed