Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Source: White Sox get Keuchel at 3 years, $55.5 million

Seems like a respectable deal to me given Keuchel’s performance last season; more importantly, the Pale Hose seem to clearly be making a move on the AL Central given the way the Indians are selling off.

Left-hander Dallas Keuchel and the Chicago White Sox are in agreement on a three-year, $55.5 million deal, sources told ESPN’s Jeff Passan.

The agreement includes a vesting fourth-year option worth $18.5 million, sources said.

The White Sox have been one of the most active teams this winter as they continue to make their push toward contention in the American League Central.

Esoteric Posted: December 22, 2019 at 09:00 PM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: white sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: December 22, 2019 at 11:45 PM (#5910525)
White Sox making a splash. What is their win projection at this point?
   2. Walt Davis Posted: December 23, 2019 at 12:33 AM (#5910528)
White Sox ZiPS are up.

ZiPS likes Grandal and Moncada, meh on Anderson, down on Abreu, says the top comp for something called Nick Madrigal is Nellie Fox which surely sounds more promising than it is. Things fall off quicky after Moncada but, given their prospect status, the projections for Robert and Jimenez are pretty promising for 2021 and beyond. ZiPS is also high on Giolito, not too thrilled with anybody else. I don't think we have a ZiPS yet on Keuchel but Steamer puts him at 2.4 WAR.

So it's 3-4 above-average players, a few average players, a lot of not too far below average players. Easy to see them over-achieving with some combination of Anderson repeating, Abreu better than projected, one of the 3 young injured starters achieving their potential anyway, Eloy breaking out with a monster bat, etc. but they don't seem to project much above average. Of course they may not be done acquiring players plus, if all goes reasonably well, they could project nicely for 2021-22.
   3. bbmck Posted: December 23, 2019 at 02:43 AM (#5910532)
Over/under is 81.5 but is about to go up as you currently have to bet $133 to win $100 on the over and bet $100 to win $110 on the under.
   4. yo la tengo Posted: December 23, 2019 at 08:16 AM (#5910537)
I was hoping that my Mets would make a play for him once they let Wheeler go. Seems like Mets have enough starters but then again enough never seems to be enough with pitchers these days.
   5. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: December 23, 2019 at 10:15 AM (#5910554)
I think this deal better than both the Bumgarner and Ryu ones. I also think it's better than the Wheeler one, but that one seems to have the most upside, if you will.
   6. asinwreck Posted: December 23, 2019 at 10:31 AM (#5910564)
I'm a little surprised the Angels didn't sign Keuchel. They still need innings, and a team with Andrelton Simmons and Anthony Rendon in the infield would suit a pitcher who generates the groundballs Keuchel does.

As a Sox fan, the two acquisitions this week reduce the chances of Dylan Covey, Starting Pitcher for the 2020 White Sox. This is good news.
   7. JAHV Posted: December 23, 2019 at 11:19 AM (#5910600)
This is a deal I would have been happy with the Angels making. The rumors were that they were in on him; I wonder where they stopped bidding. If the Angels don't add anyone else to the rotation, it will be better than last year, but still not very good. They have a few #2 - 3 starters who can't stay healthy and a bunch of #4 - 5 starters who might fall to replacement level or below at any moment. Keuchel would have been a welcome addition, and I think this is about right for him.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt!
for his generous support.