Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Sources: Pitcher Kyle Freeland, Colorado Rockies agree to five-year, $64.5 million contract extension

Left-hander Kyle Freeland and the Colorado Rockies are in agreement on a five-year, $64.5 million contract that includes a sixth-year player option, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.

The contract ties the 28-year-old Freeland to his hometown team through at least the 2026 season and will guarantee him the most money for a Rockies pitcher since they signed Mike Hampton to a $121 million deal more than two decades ago.

Freeland is the third starter Colorado has given a long-term deal in recent years. Right-hander German Marquez in 2019 signed a five-year, $43 million deal that includes a club option for 2024, and right-hander Antonio Senzatela received a five-year, $50.5 million contract with a club option for 2027 over the winter. The Rockies also extended third baseman Ryan McMahon for six years and $70 million in March.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 19, 2022 at 04:31 PM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: kyle freeland, rockies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 19, 2022 at 05:48 PM (#6072603)
Freeland's been up and down in his career, but he seems to have settled in around a 115 ERA+, which is his career average. You can live with that. He'll always outperform his FIP because he gets a ton of double plays, which FIP for some reason thinks has nothing to do with the pitcher.

I'm not extremely optimistic about how this is going to turn out, but Freeland's a local boy, and the Rockies have to spend their money somewhere. He gets to celebrate this contract by starting against the Phillies tonight.
   2. Walt Davis Posted: April 19, 2022 at 05:55 PM (#6072606)
It's the Rox so there's got to be something wrong with this deal. :-) But darned if I can see it. Two arb years, 3 FA years. He made $5 in arb last year so I assume he was gonna get something like $9-10 this year anyway so call it a 4/$54 extension. He hasn't been the most durable pitcher but that's a pretty good price for a guy with a career 115 ERA+, 14 WAR, 8 WAA. Takes him through age 33 plus the option which seems about perfect from the team perspective. Obviously the injury risk on a pitcher contract is always high but also unavoidable.
   3. Itchy Row Posted: April 19, 2022 at 08:59 PM (#6072623)
Hampton hit .315/.329/.552 for Colorado, so he earned part of that contract.
   4. sotapop Posted: April 21, 2022 at 09:19 AM (#6072889)
He'll always outperform his FIP because he gets a ton of double plays,

It's funny, I picked him up in OOTP to be an innings-eater for my Orioles rebuild, and damned if that doesn't play out in the sim as well. Put a good defense behind him (like I did) and he's got enormous value. Last season he put up an ERA ~3.75 and won 15 games. The other night he threw a CG shutout with 5 DPs. (I also let him go 114 pitches and now he's out with a sore shoulder, so Rockies beware. Use a quicker hook than me.)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEjected Twins manager Rocco Baldelli blasts overturned call in loss to Jays as 'one of the worst moments' of umpiring he has ever seen
(21 - 8:59am, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 8-15, 2022
(47 - 8:44am, Aug 09)
Last: Buck Coats

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4087 - 8:35am, Aug 09)
Last: spivey

NewsblogNationals burned by quirky 'fourth-out rule' as Pirates score despite lining into inning-ending double play
(67 - 8:31am, Aug 09)
Last: Buck Coats

Sox TherapyDead Line
(29 - 8:14am, Aug 09)
Last: jacksone (AKA It's OK...)

NewsblogRed Sox announcer and Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley to retire from NESN after the 2022 season
(11 - 7:48am, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogSt. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs to play 2-game series in June of 2023 in London
(30 - 7:02am, Aug 09)
Last: Cooper Nielson

NewsblogThis angle of Mets closer Edwin Díaz's absolutely electric bullpen entrance is so darn awesome
(5 - 6:47am, Aug 09)
Last: Cooper Nielson

Gonfalon CubsI guess we're still doing this?
(49 - 5:48am, Aug 09)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogJarren Duran misplays two fly balls, shouts at fans in Red Sox vs. Royals game
(9 - 4:44am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogThe Padres Go for Broke With a Roster of Superstars
(2 - 4:19am, Aug 09)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogPete Rose brushes off question about alleged sex with minor: ‘It was 55 years ago, babe’
(77 - 2:35am, Aug 09)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogFangraphs: Jacob deGrom Is Back
(1 - 12:33am, Aug 09)
Last: Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb

NewsblogMiguel Cabrera of Detroit Tigers clarifies stance on future, says he'll return next season as initially planned
(11 - 10:10pm, Aug 08)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogMariners add a free agent: Tucker, the clubhouse dog
(3 - 7:59pm, Aug 08)
Last: A triple short of the cycle

Page rendered in 0.2448 seconds
46 querie(s) executed