Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 27, 2020

Stay at least 6 feet away from OMNICHATTER! for July 27, 2020

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:08 AM | 65 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Born1951 Posted: July 27, 2020 at 10:14 AM (#5965997)
Early 2020 numbers compared to 2019, very small sample size of course.

R/G: 2019 4.83, 2020 4.30
SO/9: 2019 8.88, 2020 8.76
BB/9: 2019 3.29, 2020 3.59
HR/9: 2019 1.40, 2020 1.17
Pct of walks intentional: 2019 4.74, 2020 1.87
Pct of relief appearances 2 or less BF: 2019 13.1, 2020 7.5

The IBB% is of course greatly affected by pitchers no longer hitting. Looks like the 3 batter minimum rule has had a significant effect.
   2. salvomania Posted: July 27, 2020 at 11:41 AM (#5966040)
So how long before the season totally unravels? Ten Marlins now testing positive, today's game canceled, maybe more. It shouldn't take much in a season with little margin for error to be knocked completely off the rails.
   3. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: July 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM (#5966048)
There's no leeway built into the schedule for a team, or teams, to miss playing for 2 weeks. The season is already perilously close to ending, IMO.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM (#5966049)
The season wasn’t raveled to begin with.
   5. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 27, 2020 at 12:44 PM (#5966057)
HOW WILL THE ANGELS LOSE TODAY?!
   6. The Mighty Quintana Posted: July 27, 2020 at 02:21 PM (#5966095)
So the Marlins decided to let MIGUEL ROJAS decide whether the team should play after three of their starters tested positive for Covid-19. That's the most Marlins thing ever:

MiguelRojas!
   7. Howie Menckel Posted: July 27, 2020 at 02:28 PM (#5966100)
Rojas is 7 for 10 so far this season, to be fair.

ok, 7 for 11 now. still
   8. bunyon Posted: July 27, 2020 at 02:40 PM (#5966109)
Rojas is 7 for 10 so far this season, to be fair.

Never #### with a streak.
   9. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 02:48 PM (#5966113)
The comment by reader bdcb58 to the Rojas article is so spot-on, it makes me wonder if our own BDC wrote it:
When it comes to making Covid-19 decisions, the best course of action is to consult a Venezuelan shortstop who began playing professional baseball at age 17; prolific texters preferred. When possible, add a manager who turned down a scholarship to Indiana State and currently leaves big decisions to a think tank comprised mainly of 20-something ballplayers.
   10. Bote Man Posted: July 27, 2020 at 03:41 PM (#5966135)
Lawyer BBTF: RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Bloomberg Law @BLaw
BREAKING: Major League Baseball was hit with a proposed class action by Washington Nationals catcher Felipe “Tres” Barrera III who alleges he was suspended after falsely testing positive for the steroid Oral Turinabol.

One for the money
two for the show...
   11. salvomania Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:10 PM (#5966144)
This Pujols kid looks like he can swing a bat.
   12. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:25 PM (#5966149)
When it comes to making Covid-19 decisions, the best course of action is to consult a Venezuelan shortstop who began playing professional baseball at age 17; prolific texters preferred. When possible, add a manager who turned down a scholarship to Indiana State and currently leaves big decisions to a think tank comprised mainly of 20-something ballplayers

I dont understand what the beef is. The context was probably that their team was faced with a more or less emergency situation hours or perhaps minutes before game time. They probably didnt have time to consult with doctors, or at least get any consensus on what course of action is clear. So they had a short time to make a team decision. I doubt it was soley up to Rojas.

So that assumes a lot of facts, granted, but given that sort of context whey does this seem like such a horrible plan? It would be like getting a death threat a couple of hours before the game. HOw do you deal with that?
   13. bunyon Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:32 PM (#5966153)
I don't understand what you're not getting. None of the players, whether individually or together, are in a position to judge whether it's smart to play or not. And playing isn't about (or only about) the risk to themselves. This isn't, hey, if you play, you may never walk right again. This is, if you play, some kid in Philadelphia may not be able to breath in four weeks. Players playing injured or risking further injury is fine. I have no problem with adult professional athletes doing things against medical advice when the risk is only to themselves.

If the rigorous system MLB has put in place is to leave such a call in the hands of the players, it's one of the dumbest things ever done. I guarantee that, on paper, that isn't how it's supposed to work. I have defended Mattingly in that I guarantee it isn't supposed to be up to him, either. This is an obvious possibility and there should be high level executives receiving input from doctors and scientists.

In the metaphor of a death threat a couple hours before the game, this isn't a death threat to a random Joe, who freezes with panic at the unexpected threat. This is a death threat to the president a couple of hours before a big public appearance. Completely, utterly predictable. When it happens, local LE and the Secret Service react according to plans made and refined over a long period of time.

I mean, hell, even if you think it should be up to the players, surely the Phillies players should have gotten a say, as well.
   14. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:36 PM (#5966157)
Does Rojas' nationality matter? Or the age when he started playing professional baseball? I understand and agree with the general sentiment that the players should not be making these decisions, but it's a strange comment.
   15. bunyon Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:40 PM (#5966159)
Good points, 14. All that matters is he is not qualified to make the decision.
   16. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:41 PM (#5966161)

If the rigorous system MLB has put in place is to leave such a call in the hands of the players, it's one of the dumbest things ever done.

THe word "rigorous" is doing a lot of work in this sentence.

Assume MLB has no real protocol for this situation, or that whatever they said is ambiguous at least to a team of 20 and 30 somethings sitting in the clubhouse and reading this thing for the first time. With an interpreter or two for the a few of the guys.

Whats your proposed solution to this dilemma? Feel free to quote directly from the rigorous MLB protocols that cover this exact situation.
   17. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:42 PM (#5966162)

Good points, 14. All that matters is he is not qualified to make the decision.

I highly doubt he made any decision. Its more likely his input was sought on building a team consensus.
   18. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:45 PM (#5966164)

In the metaphor of a death threat a couple hours before the game, this isn't a death threat to a random Joe, who freezes with panic at the unexpected threat. This is a death threat to the president a couple of hours before a big public appearance. Completely, utterly predictable. When it happens, local LE and the Secret Service react according to plans made and refined over a long period of time.

No no. YOu've changed the metaphor to one involving the US president who has protocols in place for such a thing.

Keep the metaphor as: someone phones in a death threat to several players on the team. If you wish to involve the PHI team, then presume that the caller has stated he's also phoned in a death threat to the Phillies.

What's your response as a manager?
   19. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:46 PM (#5966165)

If the rigorous system MLB has put in place is to leave such a call in the hands of the players, it's one of the dumbest things ever done.

Followed closely by: "...attempting to play the 2020 MLB season."
   20. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:50 PM (#5966168)

Does Rojas' nationality matter? Or the age when he started playing professional baseball?

They could have gone with Corey Dickerson, one of two non-latin starting players. He's white, age 31 and went to Meridian MI Community College.

He's probably republican too, so Im not sure Im comfortable with him making that decision either.
   21. bunyon Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:51 PM (#5966170)
Whats your proposed solution to this dilemma? Feel free to quote directly from the rigorous MLB protocols that cover this exact situation.

I don't know them. If they don't exist, stupid. If they do exist, and say, "it's up to the infected team and they don't have to tell anyone else", doubly stupid.

This is a failure of MLB, pure and simple. They either have no process to deal with positive tests just before a game or have a process they haven't sufficiently supported.

I'm really not sure what you're point is. I changed your metaphor because I think it misses that this is an obvious situation that was going to arise sooner or later (turned out to be sooner). MLB should have officials crawling all over the test results and making decisions based on them. Otherwise, why test?
   22. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:54 PM (#5966172)
The Angels' baserunning has been atrocious in the four games so far.
   23. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:56 PM (#5966173)
I have defended Mattingly in that I guarantee it isn't supposed to be up to him, either. This is an obvious possibility and there should be high level executives receiving input from doctors and scientists.

With what like, two hours before game time? Or say six. What difference what it would make?

SO you're in the clubhouse at 4 pm waiting for a call back from Dr. Wainwright at the Florida Medical institute. What the hell do you think he's gonna say anyhow?

What do any of these medical professsionals tell you? They give you the facts and they expect YOU MAKE THE CALL.

That's how medicine operates these days. My friends wife was having a baby for the first time and it looked like it was going to be a breach baby or whatever a difficult child birth is. The doctor they got is not her usual doctor its who ever's on call that day. And he's from Canada and tells him he doesnt know how to read the sonagram (yeah probably a lie). So he runs through the possibilities, which are countlesss and asks him:

"What do you wanna do?" (i.e. C section or normal delivery)
   24. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 04:59 PM (#5966175)

This is a failure of MLB, pure and simple. They either have no process to deal with positive tests just before a game or have a process they haven't sufficiently supported.

THen why are your criticizing Mattingly for asking Rojas (presumably for consensus building and not simply yes/no). I dont have time to scroll back at the moment, but wasnt your position that: it was stoopid to consult with Rojas on this?

RIght? Isnt that your position? ANd now your dumping blame on MLB. OK lets blame MLB.

Is Rojas off the hook now?
   25. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:03 PM (#5966176)
I changed your metaphor because I think it misses that this is an obvious situation that was going to arise sooner or later (turned out to be sooner). MLB should have officials crawling all over the test results and making decisions based on them

Yeah that was an interesting change you made to the metaphor.

Here we have MLB operating in response to a crises that has existed for the last four months. With rules they've drafted and put in place presumably about what two months ago? And theyve had an existing culture that's dealt with this issue for.... well never. I guess.

ANd comparing it to the Secret Service and their responsibility to the president. An institution that has existed for what 135 years? And theyve had rules and laws put in place by regulatory bodies such as THE CONGRESSS OF THE UNITED STATES. And there's been threats to US Presidents for I dunno 200 years. Right?

So yeah I can see how parallel these situations are.
   26. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:07 PM (#5966178)

I don't know them. If they don't exist, stupid. If they do exist, and say, "it's up to the infected team and they don't have to tell anyone else", doubly stupid.

So then maybe its one of those cases where maybe we should wait to get all the facts in before we start criticizing Mattingly or the MIA team?

You know like 90% of most of the stories we get that have just came in on the wire...
   27. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:09 PM (#5966179)
This isn't, hey, if you play, you may never walk right again. This is, if you play, some kid in Philadelphia may not be able to breath in four weeks

Right, so doesnt that work in my favor? That maybe you call on the one guy who has some rapport with most of his teammates, who might be able to have some input on a decision that's far reaching?

YOure just making my pt.
   28. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:29 PM (#5966183)
Fun fact: yesterday's A's-Angels donnybrook featured Mike Trout's first-ever home run on a 3-0 pitch.
(before yesterday: 210 PAs started 3-0; Trout walked in 203 of them)
   29. bunyon Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:32 PM (#5966185)
Right, so doesnt that work in my favor? That maybe you call on the one guy who has some rapport with most of his teammates, who might be able to have some input on a decision that's far reaching?

YOure just making my pt.

How the #### do you take the point that this is epidemiological problem of some complexity that affects all of society and arrive at the conclusion that rapport with teammates matters a damn? This is not a baseball question. Thus, being good at baseball or liked by baseball players doesn't matter.

Anyway. Peace. I hope you stay healthy.
   30. Astroenteritis Posted: July 27, 2020 at 05:34 PM (#5966187)

I don't know what the norm is on 3-0 counts, but that seems incredible.
   31. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:03 PM (#5966188)
Fun fact: yesterday's A's-Angels donnybrook featured Mike Trout's first-ever home run on a 3-0 pitch.

Maybe I misunderstand, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Okay, I see now. Mike Trout has had 211 PAs that began 3-0 and ended on the next pitch. 203 of them were walks and one was a HBP, which means he's only put the ball in play 7 times on 3-0. He's now 2 - 6 with a Sac Fly.

He's had 387 PAs total that began 3-0. He's walked 291 times in those PAs and has a 1.614 OPS.

Lesson: Don't start 3-0 to Trout.
   32. For the Turnstiles (andeux) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:06 PM (#5966191)
Whoever first tweeted that out yesterday (I saw it too) misread the stat. Those were only the PAs that ended on the next pitch, and he was previously 1-for-5 when he swung 3-0.
Per b-r, "after 3-0" includes 387 PA, of which 291 ended in walks.

(coke, dammit)
   33. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:07 PM (#5966192)
Ohtani hasn't looked good in either facet of the game thus far. His plate discipline has been poor.
   34. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:14 PM (#5966193)
Well, maybe the Angels are destined to hit .175 with RISP. That's going to make run-scoring rather difficult.
   35. Howie Menckel Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:28 PM (#5966195)
and here I was fearful that superfluous political jabs might skip a thread.

we've gone from needing an OTP from needing a "politics-free" thread.

it has proven difficult to isolate the superspreaders, alas.
   36. Walt Davis Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:31 PM (#5966196)
Regarding #1 ... I looked at Sunday's games ... I counted 34 mid-inning pitching changes in 15 games. I don't know what last year's rate was but that doesn't seem down much. Two fairly common patterns: (a) reliever started the inning, pulled after 3 batters ... most common of course when he had gotten 0 or 1 out; (b) mid-inning reliever allowed to begin the next inning then pulled.
   37. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:33 PM (#5966197)
And now Simmons rolls his ankle going to first. Blech. Go ahead and end the season. 2020 wins.
   38. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:39 PM (#5966198)
However, I could watch David Fletcher all day long. He's incredible.
   39. Walt Davis Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:39 PM (#5966199)
From an article at mlb.com in the offseason: If we look back at the last 20 seasons, we can see that the number of relief appearances that don't stretch to three batters has increased markedly ... but the number of appearances where a pitcher did that and didn't get to the end of the inning hasn't. The change is about once per team per week. Given some of those extra times the reliever is not going to get the 3rd batter out, it's not clear the 3-batter rule will make any difference. (And BF per relief appearance was going up, not down the last few seasons.)
   40. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:41 PM (#5966200)
From the first reports I see on reddit, apparently the PHI were informed about the outbreak prior to the game via a group text. Most of the PHI were wearing masks because of that, for instance Bryce was on base wearing a mask. Not sure what the MLB protocols are that cover this
   41. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:41 PM (#5966201)
Two fairly common patterns: ... (b) mid-inning reliever allowed to begin the next inning then pulled.
Seems to me that if the goal is to funnel pitching changes to between innings as much as possible (and that should be the goal), the three-batter minimum should reset for the next inning. You want to start the inning with the guy who got the last two outs of the previous inning? Fine, but then he has to face three more batters. If you don't like that, just bring in the new pitcher to start the inning.
   42. Walt Davis Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:48 PM (#5966202)
On Trout 3-0: 2019 AL on 3-0 walked 1535 (and 4 HBP) in 1697 PA. Only 266 of those are coded as IBB -- I'm not even sure how that works with the new rule ... does that mean they decided to IBB the batter once it was 3-0?

After 3-0, AL 2019 hit 278/733/529 for a 1262 OPS. (In case it wasn't obvious, using AL minimizes the number of pitcher PAs in a split.)
   43. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 27, 2020 at 06:50 PM (#5966203)
The Red Sox have some guy named Josh Osich starting tonight. I've never heard of Mr. Osich, but I'm sure his family is proud that he's so far managed to carve out a 5 year career as a reliever in MLB. I, of course, am envious of anyone who has managed to have any time spent playing baseball in the major leagues.

I see he's never started a game in MLB so maybe this is one of those opener deals.

My initial thought though was that a big market team with lots of resources like the Boston Red Sox should never really have a "Josh Osich" starting the 4th game of any season ever.
   44. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:02 PM (#5966207)

I don't know what the norm is on 3-0 counts, but that seems incredible.

If you mean incredible how selfish Trout is, I agree. Drive one on the grond to the right side, advance the runner damnit! Don't just clog up the bases, you are the leader, you should be getting the RBIS!
   45. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:07 PM (#5966211)
My initial thought though was that a big market team with lots of resources like the Boston Red Sox should never really have a "Josh Osich" starting the 4th game of any season ever.

To be fair, the Sox have lost the majority of their pitching staff through injury, sickness, or trading them to dump salary. And with that last operative being the key operating procedure for the Sox this year, it's not like they were going to replace any of them with a legit pitcher. I mean, outside of perennial CY candidate Martin Perez...
   46. Walt Davis Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5966212)

But said big market team decided one goal of this season was to get below the tax threshold, so committed to that they traded away Mookie Betts to help achieve it. That left little money for adding pitching after Sale and ERod went down. Granted that's not really an excuse for not having any young ML-ready (or near) in development nor hiring the best AAAA talent they can find. There was an article posted here last week on the very topic. (With a calming title along the lines of "Bloom's first rotation is a disaster."

For the record, Mr. Osich "started" 2 games in 2012 at A+ ball but that was a season of 27 appearances and 32 IP so I assume those weren't real starts. Possibly he was a starter at Oregon St.
   47. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:17 PM (#5966214)
perennial CY candidate Martin Perez...

Hey now, a little respect here. That's 13-12, 4.82, 185-inning workhorse of the 2017 78-84 Rangers Martin Perez.
   48. Walt Davis Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:40 PM (#5966217)
Seems to me that if the goal is to funnel pitching changes to between innings as much as possible (and that should be the goal), the three-batter minimum should reset for the next inning.

Only solves the problem if that guy gets all 3 batters out. Marlins-Phils yesterday ... Marlins emergency start out after 3.1 innings. First guy in faces 2 batters and gets them both. New reliever starts the 5th, loads the bases with one out. New guy comes in, gets out of the jam in 2 batters, starts the next inning, gives up a walk and a double in 3 batters (satisified your rule), gets pulled. So 3 mid-inning pitching changes with 2 BF (ended inning), 4 BF (mid-inning change), 5 BF (2/3, mid-inning change) ... then the next guy pitched 1.2 IP (not all that well).

The 3-batter rule can only have a major effect if a majority (maybe a very lareg majority) of relievers can get a full inning out of 3-4 batters faced most of the time. If your first guy puts the first 3 on, you have to get him out of there. One out, two on, close game ... you need to do what you think is necessary to get out of the inning. The only way around it is "you started the inning, you finish it" or at least something like a 6-batter rule. All to solve a problem that barely exists.

The 3-batter rule is enough to get rid of the high-leverage, 3 relievers in the 8th inning sort of usage -- and the silly Sept 49-man usage but that was probably gotten rid of anyway by the change in Sept roster rules. Anything beyond that just forces managers into irrational behavior.

FWIW, the OOTP AI managers in the b-r sims seemed very fond of mid-inning changes even with the 3 batter rule, along the lines of what I just outlined -- guy starts inning, gives up a runner or two in his 3 batters, gets pulled.
   49. JJ1986 Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:45 PM (#5966219)
How many games do the Mets have against the Red Sox this year? I really do not enjoy being blacked-out when I have no intention of watching the home feed.
   50. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 27, 2020 at 07:47 PM (#5966221)
Wow. Bogaerts is already starting up with the “nobody believes in us” stuff.
   51. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 27, 2020 at 08:07 PM (#5966225)
Osich proving to be ineffective in his initial debut, down 2-0 in the first....

52. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 27, 2020 at 09:10 PM (#5966231)
50 - Bogaerts was talking about that in Spring Training 1.0. In fairness he’s right, nobody believes the Sox are going anywhere because they are paying attention.

51 - Osich turned in the best start since Eovaldi’s Opening Day start.
   53. Howie Menckel Posted: July 27, 2020 at 10:26 PM (#5966247)
Braves DFA'd Mike Foltynewicz after he got hammered tonight.
   54. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 27, 2020 at 11:46 PM (#5966265)
Braves DFA'd Mike Foltynewicz after he got hammered tonight.
Drinking to excess has cost many their job.
   55. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: July 27, 2020 at 11:58 PM (#5966270)
Kimbrel in mid season form. About to blow a 3 run lead in the 9th.
   56. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: July 28, 2020 at 12:00 AM (#5966271)
3 walks and a hit batter in 5 batters faced.
   57. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 28, 2020 at 12:03 AM (#5966272)
I forgot Kimbrel even existed.

I just checked in after leaving the game at 8-1. Didn’t even occur to me this would still be going on.
   58. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: July 28, 2020 at 12:04 AM (#5966273)
Now 4 walks.
   59. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 28, 2020 at 12:05 AM (#5966275)
The upside is none of this will matter when Covid cancels the season before September
   60. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: July 28, 2020 at 12:06 AM (#5966276)
Lester pitched 5 no hit/1 walk innings. 6 relievers threw 3.1 innings, allowing 7 hits, 8 walks, and 7 runs.
   61. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 28, 2020 at 12:46 AM (#5966284)
Crew rallies w 4 in the 9th, 1 in the 11th. Bucs sunk.
   62. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 28, 2020 at 01:08 AM (#5966293)
6 relievers threw 3.1 innings
Stop there, it’s bad enough already.
   63. Walt Davis Posted: July 28, 2020 at 07:07 PM (#5966499)
#62 ... oh don't worry, they all pitched to plenty of batters. They just weren't any good. You think perhaps the Cubs should intentionally lose games to avoid mid-inning pitching changes after a guy has walked 4 and hit a batter?

Winkler 3 BF, 2 BB, 1 out
Wick 3 BF, 1 H, 2 outs
Underwood 5 BF, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 outs
Tepera 6 BF, 2 H, 1 HBP, 3 outs
Norwood 3 BF, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 out
Kimbrel 6 BF, 4 BB, 1 HBP, 1 out
Jeffress 2 BF, 2 outs

That's 28 BF, so 4 per reliever. Every reliever faced at least 3 batters except Jeffress for the save. Of the 28 batters, 16 reached base and as Misrlou said, 7 scored.

The 3-batter rule was designed to make this sort of thing more common.
   64. Howie Menckel Posted: July 28, 2020 at 09:47 PM (#5966529)
Ron Darling, Hawaiian-born but grew up in Mass., just told a story in the Mets-Red Sox telecast.

his Little League team bused to a game, they tried for autographs from the Sawx but no go (I assume all 25 cabs were waiting out front?)

then they saw the "swashbuckling" Athletics, as he called them.

he scored a lone autograph that he said was almost illegible.

when he checked the roster, he figured out that it was Dave Duncan - who years later was a pitching coach for him.

reminded me of being a teenager and my buddy and I spotted The Golden Bear in his prime and his natural habitat. we bolted to him with autograph pads. his first reaction was to look behind us. this location was sort of out of the way, behind the clubhouse. and he signed very graciously.

when I grew up, I learned what his reaction meant. if 100 plus kids were behind us, it was hopeless so he'd have to just wave and get in his car.

but only 2 kids? no problem.

I met Nicklaus several times decades later, but the story just wasn't interesting enough for him, no doubt, to bring up. I suspect Darling got to tell Duncan his tale, though.

that little schmuck asking for a favor?

you never know if they'll wind up having a voice....
   65. Howie Menckel Posted: July 28, 2020 at 10:13 PM (#5966539)
Alex Speier
@alexspeier
·
7m
We can update this: This is the 2nd Red Sox team ever to allow 7+ runs in 4 of the first 5 games. The other one was the 1901 team. Worth noting that the 1901 team recovered and finished with the fewest runs allowed/game in the AL. But they also had Cy Young to throw 371 IP.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogWild Card Round Day Three OMNICHATTER (10/1/20)
(8 - 3:42pm, Oct 01)
Last: Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim

NewsblogWild Card Round Day Two OMNICHATTER (9/30/20)
(246 - 3:36pm, Oct 01)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

Newsblog8th? BBTF Central Park Softball Game: October 3
(104 - 3:33pm, Oct 01)
Last: catomi01

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Brave New World
(275 - 3:31pm, Oct 01)
Last: Crispix Attacksel Rios

NewsblogMinnesota Twins eliminated by Houston Astros as postseason losing streak hits 18 games
(7 - 3:31pm, Oct 01)
Last: Karl from NY

NewsblogMLB allowing limited number of fans for NLCS, World Series in Arlington, Texas
(14 - 2:30pm, Oct 01)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9809 - 2:16pm, Oct 01)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3297 - 2:01pm, Oct 01)
Last: aberg

NewsblogCarlos Correa addresses Astros haters after sweeping Twins: 'What are they going to say now?'
(15 - 1:41pm, Oct 01)
Last: Greg Pope

Gonfalon CubsCubs Postseason Thoughts
(6 - 1:19pm, Oct 01)
Last: Meatwad

NewsblogAnaheim City Council approves $150-million cash stadium sale to Angels owner
(15 - 1:07pm, Oct 01)
Last: Rally

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-1-2020
(5 - 12:43pm, Oct 01)
Last: Crispix Attacksel Rios

NewsblogYouTube TV is losing Fox regional sports networks
(19 - 11:34am, Oct 01)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogAs Marlins prepare for postseason, is the franchise turning a corner under Derek Jeter?
(11 - 11:10am, Oct 01)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogDORKTOWN: The Secret to Not Allowing Homers to Babe Ruth was Being Bad, Apparently
(7 - 10:52am, Oct 01)
Last: Nasty Nate

Page rendered in 0.5558 seconds
48 querie(s) executed