Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Sunday Notes: Danny Mendick is Chicago’s 2019 Cinderella Story | FanGraphs Baseball

It’s unlikely that Gallen will pitch out of the bullpen if he fails to earn a starting job in the spring. Ditto the other contenders for that role.

“Every organization has the five starters and then six, seven, and eight continuing to grow and learn,” Lovullo said when asked about Gallen’s pen possibility. “Starting baseball games in Triple A, I think that’s extremely important. You’re going to go down and get those guys, no doubt. I wouldn’t say anybody that doesn’t make it is going to be sent to the bullpen.”

Jim Furtado Posted: December 29, 2019 at 10:10 AM | 6 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: notes

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Brian Posted: December 29, 2019 at 08:43 PM (#5911636)
This is insane. The D-Backs don't have 5 guys better than Gallen. He put up good numbers and his stuff, to me, certainly passes the eye test.
   2. Walt Davis Posted: December 29, 2019 at 11:57 PM (#5911657)
What's insane? Lovullo, in December, won't guarantee a young player with half a season a starting spot but says he will get "very, very strong consideration." (That was after praising his mound presence, his stuff, his ability to learn and saying that he wants to be great, not just good.) Asked what would happen IF he didn't make the opening day rotation, Lovullo said he would go to AAA and start. Both of those answers are 100% sensible even if the chances of him being in the opening day rotation (if healthy) are 99.99% as Lovullo's comments make pretty clear they are.

EDIT: Also Mendick is a future birthday team fun name.
   3. Brian Posted: December 30, 2019 at 08:37 AM (#5911681)
Athletes can't be at peak performance indefinitely. If I'm Gallen the message I get here is I need to accelerate my program so that I am pitching my best in mid-to-late March, so as to make the rotation. Veterans can aim for early April, knowing that the useless ST stats won't cost him his rotation spot. The effect of Gallen having to pitch his way into the rotation may be he runs out of gas in August. The point is last year should mean something going in to ST.
   4. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 30, 2019 at 09:26 AM (#5911687)
The point is last year should mean something going in to ST.

It does, which is why there was the quote about him getting "very, very strong consideration".
   5. Walt Davis Posted: December 30, 2019 at 03:03 PM (#5911777)
Good thing you're not Gallen then I guess. His manager praised his presence, his stuff and his ability to learn and you think the takeaway message is "you're on the fence kid?" The takeaway message (which is directed to the public not Gallen anyway) is "if the kid keeps doing what he's been doing, he's gonna be great." When asked if a young player with less than a year under his belt has a guaranteed roster spot, there's never been a manager that has responded "yes." That might be motivated by moronic sports psychology but it's the near-universal response. If you wanna be annoyed with somebody, be annoyed with Laurila's question not Lovullo's response.

And just in case Gallen's reading this :-) ... my advice is to stay in touch with the manager, conditioning coach, etc. and do what they suggest to get ready for Feb then continue those conversations through the spring to make sure they're happy with where you are.

And of course, always remember that Mike Trout wasn't good enough to make the opening day roster in 2012. No offense Zac but you're not better than Mike Trout. :-)
   6. Brian Posted: December 30, 2019 at 07:28 PM (#5911820)
And Ryan Braun and Kris Bryant and ...

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.