Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

The World’s Greatest OMNICHATTER! (a tribute), for July 28, 2021

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 01:51 PM | 46 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:04 PM (#6030965)
HOW WILL THE ANGELS LOSE TODAY?!
   2. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:11 PM (#6030973)
(copied from other thread) Thank You for the chatter. It's my birthday, so I have today off, (yes I'm old and all, but I don't work my birthday... it's one of three holidays I celebrate... Thanksgiving---mmm food., Fourth of July---mmm bar-b-que and my Birthday---mmm bar-b-que... the rest of the holidays, who cares about) And luckily there is an afternoon game.... (first day off since June 20th.... Yea....)
   3. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:11 PM (#6030974)
HOW WILL CFB CELEBRATE HIS BIRTHDAY?!
   4. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:13 PM (#6030975)
Arenado is pretty good defensively, the numbers don't like him much this year, but Cardinal fans like what they have seen. (just 4 rField for him this year and I think a lot of that has been in the past 3 or so weeks)
   5. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:13 PM (#6030980)
damnit... 3-2 Guardians.
   6. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:15 PM (#6030982)
HOW WILL CFB CELEBRATE HIS BIRTHDAY?!

$40 Porterhouse, Corn on the Cobb, Diced Potatoes (with Garlic, Onions and Peppers), a basic salad and Strawberry Shortcake... and hopefully a Cardinal win and some Marvel Legends action figures (I'm getting Galactus... Yea--- I know none of you know what that is)
   7. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:17 PM (#6030984)
That thing left in a hurry... 4-2 Guardians.
   8. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:21 PM (#6030987)
Looking at some of the touted rookie seasons on MLB is kinda depressing as a Cardinal fan.... Adolis Garcia, Randy Arozarena, Nogowski...

Not sure that there is a real gap between Arozarena, Carlson or Garcia... There is a somewhat gap of course, but I'll take the age of Carlson over the others.

Damnit Kim, stop giving up long balls.
   9. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:23 PM (#6030989)
Kim is getting hammered, and it's not poor luck, they are teeing up on him right now, everything is hit hard... 5-2 third inning. 4 hr's allowed... bye bye, hopefully the offense can pick him up.
   10. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:23 PM (#6030991)
and hopefully a Cardinal win and some Marvel Legends action figures (I'm getting Galactus... Yea--- I know none of you know what that is)
Is this the new figure, the one that's like 3 feet tall? That's a monster of a figure, if it's that one!
   11. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:27 PM (#6030993)
Is this the new figure, the one that's like 3 feet tall? That's a monster of a figure, if it's that one!

Yes. I have the original 17" one, but my GF asked what I wanted for my Birthday, and it ultimately boiled down to "give me permission to buy this figure" She hedged (She was willing to buy me the Mezco Lockjaw Blackbolt figure instead) but I won... she instead bought me the dinner that I'm cooking, Cardinal tickets for Ted Simmons Bobble head night (my favorite ball player of all time) on Saturday and permission to buy that monstrosity.

(My work has been authorizing overtime for me to work at another store, it takes roughly 20 hours of overtime to buy that figure, I've been averaging 16 hours a week for the past 5 weeks with the hope I can convince my gf to give me permission)
   12. salvomania Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:32 PM (#6030997)
Hey CFB, what do you think of the Shildt having his hottest hitter/current best slugger hitting in the lower third of the order?

It's been painful watching Bader hitting solo homers batting behind Molina and Edman, but he has crept up, from 8th to 7th, and just today, from 7th to 6th...

Last night, batting 7th, a homer and two doubles... and 1 rbi
   13. salvomania Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:34 PM (#6030999)
In his interview the other day, Shildt said for the Cleveland series he may have Bader batting 9th, to get the "two leadoff hitter" thing going. It seems really dumb to have the hitter with the team's highest OBP *and* the team's highest slugging pct. batting 9th...
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:38 PM (#6031002)
I'm not a fan of this lineup at all. Today it's not so bad based upon who they are giving days off, but I would prefer for Bader to lead off, even if he's not hitting at his rate right now, he has the leadoff speed.

Molina always bats too high in the lineup, even though he's "clutch" for the most part, they defer to his history too much.

I have no problem with rotating Bader and Carlson in and out of the leadoff spot. At no point in time should Molina bat before Bader, and at no point in time should he bat directly in front of Bader, you effectively take away one of his assets, his speed.

Of course I'm still always going to be a fan of batting someone like Edman 9th, you'll never get me to give up that hill.
   15. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:39 PM (#6031003)
Random observation: It seems like most if not all major league players now catch fly balls one-handed with their glove near their shoulder. This is, of course, contrary to what my generation was taught from little league onward (two hands, or at least one hand above your head). For those of you who coach - is the new MLB way what is now being taught as proper fundamentals? If so, what is the theory behind the change?
   16. salvomania Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:40 PM (#6031004)
Since June 1 (one-third of a season) Yadier Molina is hitting .201/.260/.245, with four extra-base-hits in 150 PA. Yet he is installed as the 5th-place hitter in one of MLB's lowest-scoring lineups.

Why in the world would Shildt have Molina (.291 OBP) and Edman (.301 OBP) hitting right in front of Bader (.548 slg.)?
   17. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:41 PM (#6031007)
Shildt is just not a good tactical/lineup manager, he tries, but in comparison to the greats (TLR and Matheny) he is clueless (he's even inferior to Herzog, but at least he's better than Torre) Shildt has his strengths, but he grew up in the minor league system as a manager and is used to "corporate...i.e. the stl Cardinals front office team" dictating his lineups for a bit.
   18. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:44 PM (#6031008)
You can't make your lineup based upon recent trends, but you can adjust your lineup based upon extended trends. Right now Bader after 5th spot is just idiotic. And I love Carlson but he's not as good as Bader is right now.

Until they prove they can't do it, there is no reason for Yadier to be batting before Bader, DeJong or Carlson.
   19. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:47 PM (#6031011)
It looked close, but I thought Carlson had no chance originally, the fact it was that close with an 'upline' throw was impressive. 7-2 Guardians. (imagine how good they will be when Groot reaches puberty)
   20. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:54 PM (#6031017)
(She was willing to buy me the Mezco Lockjaw Blackbolt figure instead)
I assume you're a bit of a collector, because the new Galactus is both very pricey and not that easy to get. Either, way, happy, happy birthday! That's an awesome figure! My brother is a hardcore collector -- his house is packed with all sorts of Japanese mecha constructs, Marvel/DC figures, Voltrons of varying sizes, Macross Valkyries, etc. He's been salivating over Galactus since he found out it was coming, but his wife keeps telling him that they're just out of space.
   21. salvomania Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:01 PM (#6031020)
Of course Bader, moved up to the 6th in the lineup today, is 0-for-3, stranding a pair of runners each time up.
   22. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:02 PM (#6031021)
I assume you're a bit of a collector, because the new Galactus is both very pricey and not that easy to get. Either, way, happy, happy birthday! That's an awesome figure! My brother is a hardcore collector -- his house is packed with all sorts of Japanese mecha constructs, Marvel/DC figures, Voltrons of varying sizes, Macross Valkyries, etc. He's been salivating over Galactus since he found out it was coming, but his wife keeps telling him that they're just out of space.

Yes, very much so, just did a little thing with a website where you put all your figures into it, and it tells you the average price it's sold for on Ebay and other sites, and just my Marvel Legends (that I know I have) was over $18,000. (that of course doesn't include the DC universe figures and others)

As far as space, that was my GF issue also "where are you going to put that" we live in a condo, and are moving out and planning on buying a house, so I told her, we'll make sure the new house has room.... she didn't think that was funny, but we have already decided that I get the basement of the new house anyway (hopefully I'll be able to have a walk out to a bar-b-que pit if so)

This is one of those once in a lifetime type of opportunities, if it matters to you, you have to do that.
   23. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:04 PM (#6031024)
Of course Bader, moved up to the 6th in the lineup today, is 0-for-3, stranding a pair of runners each time up.

It happens. And he has only one 'above average' defensive play today, so he's slacking off totally today.
   24. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:07 PM (#6031028)
This is one of those once in a lifetime type of opportunities, if it matters to you, you have to do that.
I used to subscribe to the idea that when you're a man, you put away childish things. Now, as I approach 50, it turns out that childish things are among the best reasons to keep on living.
   25. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:20 PM (#6031029)
I used to subscribe to the idea that when you're a man, you put away childish things. Now, as I approach 50, it turns out that childish things are among the best reasons to keep on living.

I'm 51 today... and I fully support that argument.
   26. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:23 PM (#6031031)
The saying used to be "he who dies with the most toys wins."
   27. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 03:47 PM (#6031036)
Once again, the runner choose death. Yadier with another cs.
   28. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 04:10 PM (#6031039)
7-2 going to the ninth, not looking good for me... oh well, I have a 2 pound Porterhouse waiting for me later on, I think I will still enjoy this day.
   29. salvomania Posted: July 28, 2021 at 04:42 PM (#6031043)
Down 13-6 to the Tigers entering the bottom of the 8th, the Twins have hit four homers and have closed it to 13-12, still batting...
   30. Howie Menckel Posted: July 28, 2021 at 05:10 PM (#6031049)
fans of symmetry should enjoy the Twins pitching line, as each of their three hurlers pitched 3.0 innings.

of course, Happ allowed 9 runs and Burrows and Minaya surrendered 4 runs apiece...
   31. Howie Menckel Posted: July 28, 2021 at 05:33 PM (#6031055)
that one went final - Lions 17, Vikings 14, in spite of a 9th-inning safety for the Vikes to that got them within a 3-run HR of sending this one into overtime

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
24m
The Nationals and Phillies game has been postponed because of Washington’s covid outbreak, sources tell ESPN. Multiple players and coaches have tested positive today after Trea Turner did yesterday. Size of outbreak remains to be seen, but may wind up as biggest in MLB this year.
   32. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 06:08 PM (#6031070)
The Nationals and Phillies game has been postponed because of Washington’s covid outbreak
That's gonna make trading for Scherzer a little trickier. He's going to have to clear protocols again.
   33. Howie Menckel Posted: July 28, 2021 at 08:01 PM (#6031094)
Jason Collette
@jasoncollette
·
18m
Twins homering 7 times and losing ties a record shared by the Jays (2020) White Sox (2016) and Tigers (2004, 1995).

[Fun fact: I once attended a Cubs-Cardinals game at Wrigley where STL hit 7 homers. I guess they won, then. what I do remember is that Cardinals fans caught six of the seven HR all over the bleachers. six reluctant "throw backers" - but all were, er, "persuaded" by Cubs fans to send that ball back on the field in fairly short order.)

The New York Yankees are finalizing a deal to acquire outfielder Joey Gallo from the Texas Rangers, sources tell ESPN.
   34. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 28, 2021 at 08:41 PM (#6031098)
Twins homering 7 times and losing

Of course the Tigers got 17 runs and didn't hit a single home run. What are the odds of that?
   35. Howie Menckel Posted: July 28, 2021 at 09:36 PM (#6031103)
so the rotting corpse of Brandon Drury is now 6 for 6 for the Mets this month - and 7 for 15 as a PH this season with three dingers.

Mets now lead Braves, 2-1 in the 7th in a game of interest.

funny that the entire AB, the Mets broadcasters all talked about the importance of having a power bench bat that you want up in a spot like that.
   36. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: July 28, 2021 at 09:39 PM (#6031104)
Twins homering 7 times and losing ties a record shared by the Jays (2020) White Sox (2016) and Tigers (2004, 1995).

The Twins lost today despite outhomering the Tigers 7-0. That has to be some kind of record.
   37. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 09:45 PM (#6031105)
I am SO tired of Andrew Heaney. Just so, so tired of him.
   38. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: July 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM (#6031115)
That's a tough loss for the Braves. Down 1 in the 8th, they put men on first and second with Freeman and Riley up next with no outs. They don't score. In the 9th, they start the inning with a ground rule double, after an out, the next batter hits a single and the runner gets thrown out at home with fewer than two out. Diaz got the next guy to line out.

Diaz continues to have great peripherals with mediocre results. The Mets avoid disaster in this 5-game set with the Braves as they even the series at 2-2, and could go 3-2 with a win tomorrow.
   39. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM (#6031116)
New York Yankees are finalizing a deal to acquire outfielder Joey Gallo from the Texas Rangers, sources tell ESPN.
The Yankees are reportedly giving up 5 prospects, but also getting back reliever John King:
The Rangers are acquiring a group of prospects in return. Trevor Hauver, Glenn Otto, Ezequiel Duran, Everson Pereira and Randy Vasquez all seem likely to wind up as part of the return, report Adler, Weaver and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic (Twitter link). Jeff Passan of ESPN (Twitter link) reports that Josh Smith is also part of the return. The deal is still pending review of medicals.
That would include the Yankees #14 (Smith), #15 (Duran), #17 (Pereira), $23 (Hauver) & #28 (Otto) prospects according to MLB Pipleline, if all end up in the deal. Gallo might help a bit, but if the Yankees are going to make a run, their existing players will have to contribute more.
   40. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 10:23 PM (#6031118)
Good trade by the Rangers.
   41. sanny manguillen Posted: July 28, 2021 at 10:46 PM (#6031125)
Pirates' Rodolfo Castro now has five hits in the majors, all homers.
   42. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 10:48 PM (#6031127)
Posted about it in the wrong thread, but Conforto’s throw to nail Almonte at home in the bottom of the ninth was about as perfect an outfield throw as you will ever see. Saved the game right there.
   43. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 28, 2021 at 11:17 PM (#6031131)
Ohtani with another one, a 3-run screamer for #37. It sounded like it was shot out of a cannon. It was a frozen rope hit so hard, even the normally modest Ohtani had to watch it and batflip. The homer puts the Angels up 4-3 in the 4th.

EDIT: 113.1 MPH exit velo.
   44. Walt Davis Posted: July 29, 2021 at 12:17 AM (#6031141)
Good trade by the Rangers.

Meh. Gallo has a year of control left but of course wasn't gonna be "part of the next good Randers team." They got back quantity, not quality. That makes it reasonably likely at least one of these guys will turn into an average-ish MLer for a couple of years. But a team's #14 prospect is just not much to acquire and that's the best the Rangers got here. Most of them won't be part of the next good Rangers team either, even less likely an important part.
   45. base ball chick Posted: July 29, 2021 at 12:22 AM (#6031143)
cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2021 at 02:11 PM (#6030973)

(copied from other thread) Thank You for the chatter. It's my birthday, so I have today off, (yes I'm old and all, but I don't work my birthday... it's one of three holidays I celebrate... Thanksgiving---mmm food., Fourth of July---mmm bar-b-que and my Birthday---mmm bar-b-que... the rest of the holidays, who cares about) And luckily there is an afternoon game.... (first day off since June 20th.... Yea....)

happy birthday there boy!!!

hope the steak was good
   46. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: July 29, 2021 at 12:47 AM (#6031146)
Most of them won't be part of the next good Rangers team either, even less likely an important part.
Gallo was definitely not going to be a part of the next good Rangers team, and the Rangers' farm system is pretty bad. (So is the big team, obviously.) It's their time to deal for lottery tickets. It's not like they were getting a top-50 prospect for Gallo.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogKC Royals ‘need to start thinking’ about a new stadium, possibly downtown, owner says
(55 - 9:49am, Sep 17)
Last: DL from MN

Sox TherapyShrug
(155 - 9:49am, Sep 17)
Last: Nasty Nate

NewsblogShohei Ohtani has sore arm, might not pitch again this season
(7 - 9:44am, Sep 17)
Last: DL from MN

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13941 - 8:53am, Sep 17)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-15-2021
(8 - 6:40am, Sep 17)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogIs it already time for another WEEKLY OMNICHATTER?, for September 13-16, 2021
(144 - 5:44am, Sep 17)
Last: TomH

NewsblogRyan Braun retires after 14 seasons
(28 - 2:17am, Sep 17)
Last: Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes

NewsblogDoes Javier Báez’s enigmatic nature make his impending free agency messier?
(16 - 10:56pm, Sep 16)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

NewsblogSeattle Mariners to host 2023 MLB All-Star Game, sources say
(1 - 8:01pm, Sep 16)
Last: Jeff Francoeur's OPS

Newsblog8th? BBTF Central Park Softball Game: SEPT 18, 2021
(211 - 7:08pm, Sep 16)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogThere are only about 3-to-5 candidates to run Mets -- here’s who we think they are
(11 - 6:33pm, Sep 16)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(255 - 4:52pm, Sep 16)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-16-2021
(3 - 2:22pm, Sep 16)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogThe Storyteller of the White Sox
(15 - 1:40pm, Sep 16)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogThe Past, Present, and Future of International Scouting
(6 - 1:19pm, Sep 16)
Last: Jay Seaver

Page rendered in 0.4118 seconds