Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, July 02, 2021

This is our INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND OMNICHATTER!, for July 2-3-4, 2021

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Hombre Brotani Posted: July 02, 2021 at 02:46 PM | 75 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 02, 2021 at 04:03 PM (#6027470)
HOW WILL THE ANGELS LOSE TODAY?!
   2. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2021 at 04:11 PM (#6027472)
The Brewers are kicking butt right now(season, not game wise) and so I decided to see how our old Cardinal friend was doing. Kolten Wong has a 125 ops+, 6 rField and a 2.1 war, he's 5th on his team... Brandon Woodruff is crushing it (as a pitcher not a hitter) 101 ip, 1.87 era, 220 era+, 4.3 War. Then you see another 3 pitchers, Freddy Peralta with a 3.1 war, Corbin Burnes with a 2.7 war and of course Josh Hader with 2.6...

Anyway, the thing I noticed by looking at Wong's rfield stat, is the consistency since 2018, assuming games played is a good barometer for innings, He's got 53 games this year, 6 rfield, 53 last year 5 rfield, 148 in 2019 for 17 rfield, and 127 in 2018 for 13 rfield, (note these numbers are rounded so we don't know where the decimal lies) so over the past four seasons he's been basically a 5 rfield guy per 50 games played within any reasonable margin of error. (2017 he was -3 in 108 games and just +14 in 524 games for his career before 2018)

Nothing big, just something I have noticed.
   3. Howie Menckel Posted: July 02, 2021 at 05:59 PM (#6027485)
the Mets are 41-36, and the talk radio and overall fan base vibe is "well, at least we're in first place and look at all these injuries." the self-immolation 'atomic clock' is on relatively low so far.

the Yankees are 41-39, and the fan mood is extremely hostile, with battles going on only whether MGR Boone, GM Cashman, or both need to be fired immediately.

and now they meet for a 3-game Subway Series - maybe the most interesting one in the past decade?

the pressure, by far, is on the Yankees.

crappy Sat/Sun weather forecasts also could impact the results.
   4. Walt Davis Posted: July 02, 2021 at 06:03 PM (#6027486)
whether MGR Boone, GM Chapman, or both need to be fired immediately

Making Aroldis the GM was never gonna work out.
   5. Walt Davis Posted: July 02, 2021 at 06:33 PM (#6027487)
So CFB's Hader mention has me comping Kimbrel and Hader this year.

Kimbrel: 30 IP, 20 saves, 52 K, 0.59 ERA, 1.15 FIP, 1.9 WAR
Hader: 33 IP, 20 saves, 55 K, 0.55 ERA, 0.89 FIP, 2.6 WAR

Hader a teensy bit better but it hardly seems like 0.7 wins. Kimbrel even has 2 fewer walks, the FIP difference seems to be the 1 HR that Kimbrel has given up (Hader none).

The WAR difference though comes from RA9 which is due to Kimbrel's 3 UER. All 3 of those UER are the unearned runner in extras so the runner is not in any way Kimbrel's fault although letting him advance safely is at least in part his fault. Unless I missed a 7-inning game, Kimbrel has had the unearned runner three times, let him score all three times and he's 1-2 in those games with a blown save. I see two for Hader with him not giving up the run in either, going 1-0. Given the results, if anything, WAR might be understating the difference in actual performance. There might also be an argument if Kimbrel was more of a contact-type pitcher and therefore more likely to let inherited runners score but these guys miss bats at about the same rate.

Anyway, obviously Kimbrel letting those 3 runs score is a much worse outcome than Hader in the same situation. And there's no particular reason that inherited runner should count any less than a standard inherited runner. It still seems unfair that Kimbrel gets "punished" for a runner that he (and everybody else on the field) bears no responsibility for.

For those who hadn't noticed (including me until a couple of days ago), Hader has shifted to a traditional 1-inning closer role starting last year. 2020's results were pretty mediocre by his standards but this year he's been outstanding. It puts him on pace to throw about 10-15 fewer innings. The K-rate hasn't changed (if anything a bit lower) but, for whatever reason, so far this year he has overcome his tendency to give up some HRs. Even with his usage, he somehow managed 37 saves in 2019 so this usage isn't necessarily increasing his save opportunities.
   6. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 02, 2021 at 07:51 PM (#6027492)
Dodgers are looking like the Bad News Bears today. Mookie Betts tried to tag and go to third on a shallow fly ball to center for some reason and got predictably thrown out. Turner bounced a throw and Muncy completely botched the pick. Just awful fundamentals.
   7. cardsfanboy Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:00 PM (#6027493)
So CFB's Hader mention has me comping Kimbrel and Hader this year.

Kimbrel: 30 IP, 20 saves, 52 K, 0.59 ERA, 1.15 FIP, 1.9 WAR
Hader: 33 IP, 20 saves, 55 K, 0.55 ERA, 0.89 FIP, 2.6 WAR

Alex Reyes 37.6 ip, 20 sv, 51k, .96 era, 1.274 whip, 1.9 war... so yes it does appear Kimbrel is getting screwed a bit by the system as he's clearly been better than Reyes. (the extra 7 innings makes up a bit of the difference though)
   8. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:12 PM (#6027494)
Alek Manoah (TOR) just struck out 7 in a row vs TB.
Then got a weak fly to LF.
Seaver's consecutive 10K feat matched by Aaron Nola this year is about being a great pitcher, but it's also about luck and circumstance. At any moment, an overmatched hitter can just flub one or dribble one early in the count.
   9. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:19 PM (#6027495)
[6]JCI all three were "finalists" in All-Star voting?
Maybe this is their "diamond rage" about not making it?
   10. Howie Menckel Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:40 PM (#6027497)
Yankees-Mets PPD

doubleheader on Sunday - George Steinbrenner and John Sterling's birthdays

US Olympic baseball team will include ex-Mets Todd Frazier and Scott Kazmir, ex-everybody Edwin Jackson, as well as
David Robertson
Tim Federowicz
Bubba Starling
Anthony Gose

and a bunch of other dudes
   11. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:48 PM (#6027498)
Jose Alvarado is trying to fit in with the rest of the Phils bullpen. 3-0 lead entering the ninth. He’s got one out to go with two walks and a double. Tying run on first; call goes to Ranger Suarez to finish it.
   12. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:55 PM (#6027499)
Alek Manoah (TOR) just struck out 7 in a row vs TB.

No he didn't.
I'm quoting myself here, just tuning to the game, and listening to the commentary.
He retired a few in a row, but not all by strikeout.
Disregard my [8] comment
   13. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 02, 2021 at 08:57 PM (#6027501)
Saurez gets a ground out to second; Segura could have gotten the runner at second but took the easy out at first. Second and third, Profar with a grounder past third to score two and blow yet another lead. The runner from first would have never scored as the ball hit the jut out part and deflected into short left.
Saurez Ks the next batter.

3-3 in the bottom of 9th.

8th blown save in the last 9 games.
   14. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 02, 2021 at 09:21 PM (#6027504)
Brad Miller drives a ball to the wall to bail out the Phils bullpen, breaking his 0-23. His first walkoff hit of his career.
   15. Howie Menckel Posted: July 02, 2021 at 09:47 PM (#6027507)
one (pitch) and done for Marlins SP tonight

07.02... Pablo Lopez was ejected from Friday's game against the Braves after hitting Ronald Acuna with a pitch in the first inning.
Spin: Well that escalated quickly. Lopez (seemingly unintentionally) drilled Acuna with his first pitch of the game and got the quick boot -- as did Marlins manager Don Mattingly and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre who were trying to advocate for their right-hander. The Marlins will now be forced to rely on their bullpen for at least nine innings to get through this one. Given that he threw only one pitch, it would be surprising if the Marlins waited another five day to bring Lopez back.
   16. Walt Davis Posted: July 02, 2021 at 10:56 PM (#6027510)
8th blown save in the last 9 games.

I'm sure MLB's gaming partners are pleased.

Cubs wrap up their 7th straight loss, 2-1.

By the way, I don't know that Kimbrel is getting "screwed" I was just intrigued by the role the unearned runner is playing in his WAR. I suspect WAR isn't handling it "correctly" -- that is, I think this is being handled as an "unearned run" charged to Kimbrel when, from a WAR perspective, I see it more as an inherited runner. (I mainly see it as a dumb idea of course.) I'm not sure bWAR contains any penalty for inherited runners scored and, if it does, I assume it counts less than an unearned run does.

That is ... if Kimbrel enters in the 9th with a runner on second and that runner scores, it's not charged to him so would not appear in his RA9 in bWAR (or fWAR). If he enters the 10th with the unearned runner on second, that is charged to him (as an unearned run)** and does appear in his RA9. Arguably WAR should penalize for inherited runners scored and, to repeat myself, Hader has kept both of his from scoring, so the difference is real enough.

I think Kimbrel gets a bit further whacked because Rfield credits the Cubs as above-average defensively so giving up 1 UER per 10 IP looks that much worse. Anyway, all of this is trivial, would wash out over time, etc. so it's not a big deal.

** Obviously it needs to get "charged" somewhere cuz it's a real run. But neither the pitcher nor the defense (nor even the offense) was responsible for the presence of that runner. Arguably we need some sort of "team unearned runs allowed" category for these runs. What I find doubly odd is that they are not considered inherited runners. Kimbrel has "inherited" 9 runners this year and none of them have scored. Now I understand that we want "bequeathed" runners to equal "inherited" runners but it seems "easy" to add "extra inning automatic runners" (or whatever) as a source of inherited runners.
   17. John Northey Posted: July 02, 2021 at 11:08 PM (#6027512)
Snowboy: Manoah did K 7 straight. The 3rd and 4th batters in the 1st inning, all 3 in the 2nd, then the first 2 in the 3rd. Quite fun to watch. One K was via hitting the guy but he swung at it so he struck out.
   18. Snowboy Posted: July 02, 2021 at 11:19 PM (#6027513)
Yep I'll stand correct.
Then incorrect.
Then corrected.
Alek Manoah did K 7 in a row tonight.
   19. John Northey Posted: July 03, 2021 at 12:31 AM (#6027515)
That ejection from the Marlins/Atlanta game was disgusting. If I ran the Marlins I'd have been tempted to tell the umps that we are going to forfeit the game over this. No more crazy than ejecting a guy after the other teams manager asks for it. Or just have every batter stand right on top of the plate and not move so your guys get hit and see if that pitcher is ejected too, and if not run out and demand it. Just like the Jays game where Manoah was ejected after the umps thought about it for a bit - but at least in that one you could see a reason and intent in the action. This was just plain old stupid. I'd be tempted to have the same guy come out next game and throw at the leadoff guy again just to annoy the umps if it wasn't for the suspension that would lead to.
   20. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 03, 2021 at 01:12 AM (#6027516)
Jered Walsh's second straight game with late inning heroics scores versus a lefty drives in the World's Most Special Boy to walk it off against the Orioles. Shohei Ohtani's night is two homers (29, 30), 3 RBI, and 3 runs scored, the last run set up via a ninth-inning walk and stolen base before Walsh cashes him in.
   21. SandyRiver Posted: July 03, 2021 at 07:12 AM (#6027518)
Seaver's consecutive 10K feat matched by Aaron Nola this year is about being a great pitcher, but it's also about luck and circumstance. At any moment, an overmatched hitter can just flub one or dribble one early in the count.

And who knows how many Seaver would've K'ed had the game gone past the 9th.
   22. Doug Jones threw harder than me Posted: July 03, 2021 at 01:13 PM (#6027534)
With Ohtani and Trout, its arguable the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have the two best players in baseball, though noting that Trout is on the IL. Even if Trout had been fully healthy for this entire season, I doubt the Angels would be contenders for the postseason, which illustrates how different baseball and basketball roster construction is - in basketball, having the two best players in the game would almost certainly at least result in a postseason appearance. Football I guess can be like that - but if you have the best quarterback in the game I would think that you'd at least make the playoffs regularly - Dan Marino never made it to a second super bowl, but the Dolphins were in the playoffs a lot.
   23. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 03, 2021 at 01:35 PM (#6027535)
Great moments in the Mets broadcast booth: they showed a photo of Gary Cohen at age 8 in his Little League uniform. Keith asks him “What’d you hit that year?” Gary chuckles, “I could never hit.”
   24. yo la tengo (the poor man's Ron Darling) Posted: July 03, 2021 at 02:12 PM (#6027538)
The other great moment for Gary Keith and Ron was a highlight of Dom Smith's HR off the Braves pitcher Smith. Gary casually mentions that Domwins the battle of The Smiths and earns the Morrissey award. Beautiful stuff
   25. O Tempura, O Morays ('Spos) Posted: July 03, 2021 at 02:35 PM (#6027539)
24 That's ridiculous, the winner should get the Marr award.
   26. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 03, 2021 at 03:17 PM (#6027545)
Those three singles Justin Wilson let up were really poor luck. The walk and double that followed were on him, though. Still, the hits to load the bases were a great example of how unfair the game can be.
   27. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 03, 2021 at 04:38 PM (#6027554)
With Ohtani and Trout, its arguable the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have the two best players in baseball, though noting that Trout is on the IL. Even if Trout had been fully healthy for this entire season, I doubt the Angels would be contenders for the postseason, which illustrates how different baseball and basketball roster construction is...
Yeah, the pitching staff has... not been good. With the recent upticks in performances, they've managed to stop being the worst pitching staff in the league by ERA (they're now tied for 2nd-worst). There's hope for the future, with Sandoval and Suarez, and Detmers in AAA, but that's for next year.

It's tantalizing to think about a Trout-Ohtani-Rendon-Walsh-Upton lineup when they're all healthy.
   28. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 03, 2021 at 06:14 PM (#6027561)
Seeing Kris Bryant in centerfield feels unnatural.
   29. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 03, 2021 at 06:24 PM (#6027562)
I do have to say, I've been impressed with the variety in which the Cubs continue to absolutely squander scoring opportunities.
   30. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 03, 2021 at 06:30 PM (#6027564)
Cubs are 5-for-56 with RISP during this illustrious run.
   31. Walt Davis Posted: July 03, 2021 at 07:09 PM (#6027568)
#22 ... "playoffs" isn't a great indicator since half the NBA/NFL teams make the playoffs while baseball has always been much more limited (except 2020). But sure, even expanding the MLB playoffs to 8 teams per league wouldn't help the Angels that often. Or more baseball-y, it's true that just having Michael Jordan almost guarantees at least a 500 record.**

Baseball is an unusual game as, other than Ohtani to an extent, there's nothing you can do to give a star player a more central role -- i.e. you have essentially no control over how many PA or IP they get per game, whether they get clutch PA (you can save them for clutch IP but usually don't), you can't use Javy Baez on defense to try to shut down Acuna. If baseball were somehow structured more like basketball, you'd bat the same guys evvery inning just like Jordan and Pippen touched the ball every time down the floor. Or imagine the Bulls if Rodman was required to take one of every 5 team shots.

For example, the 86-87 Bulls (Jordan's 3rd) took 87.3 shots per game and Jordan took 32% of those (27.8 per game), more than twice as many as Oakley who was second on the team. Jordan added another 4.6 assists and obviously had the last pass before a lot of other people's missed shots too so probably played a key role in another 10% of shots. Even in a 700 PA season, Trout is only about 11% of his team's PA totals and other than maybe doing better at keeping him healthy, there's nothing the Angels can do to increase that percentage.

Just with the bat, Trout averages about 1 run above-average per 11 PA ... or 1 win per 110 PA. If the Angels could make it so Trout got 1/3 of their PA (as Jordan took 1/3 of the shots)***, that theoretically adds about 120 runs per year. That won't add 12 wins because obviously the best hitters on the other teams will be increasing their PAs too but Trout would be producing about 180 runs a year while even Judge or Soto or whoever would probably only be producing about 120-140 and most teams don't even have guys that good, that would probably sill add something like 6 wins. That might be enough to make the Angels at least a 500 team nearly ever year. If you could give another 25% to Ohtani, that probably adds another 3 wins or so (or more if he hits like this year) plus if you could then give 1/3 of the IP to Ohtani, etc.

And that's 8 in a row for the Cubs.

** The Bulls went from 27 to 38 wins in Jordan's first year, then he was hurt for most of his second year and they fell back to 30 wins, then back to 40 in his 3rd year, then the rest.

*** Even theoretically that's not possible ... even a rule that allowed you to bat him every inning wouldn't give him 1/3 of total PAs. And my WAGs on Trout's runs/wins added hasn't accounted for the fact that the "average" batter in that game improves dramatically.
   32. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:19 PM (#6027580)
Rockies fans are acknowledging the fact that Arenado wasn't the cause of the trade.
   33. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:19 PM (#6027581)
This ump strike zone sucks.

21 pitches in, and he's already missed three clear balls outside, called for strikes, and we are talking chest high outside, not the normal low mistakes.
   34. Walt Davis Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:31 PM (#6027583)
As I mentioned, Cubs lost their 8th straight. It's perhaps not quite as bad as it wounds given they are 0-4 in 1-run games but they have also been outscored 20-52 in that stretch. Basically, the offense has shown up for just 1 inning (a 7-run first inning the other day) and the pitching has shown up for just 4 games. Or it could be even worse -- since sweeping the Cards at home to move to 11 games over, they are just 4-14. Again, the offense the main culprit here with 45 RS in those 18 games. They went through an 8-game stretch before this losing streak where they scored more than 2 runs just once -- by scoring 3. In the last 22, the Cubs have given up 10+ runs as often as they have scored more than 3. Apparently the Cubs hit high-spin pitches better than regular ones. :-)

Of course if we can go 38-27 once, we can do it again. And if the Cubs can go 4-14 then the Brewers could go 27-38 and next thing you know, the Cubs will be right back in it. Nobody's counting on that of course and we have a lot of assets to trade. Some wild speculation:

Rizzo to Boston seems obvious.

Barring a star SS injury, it's hard to find a good landing place for Baez. Maybe Cle, Sea or Cin but they're all pretty fringe-y and generally cheapskates. Obviously he'd be a great "backup the entire IF" or 2B/3B option but that's not getting full value out of him.

Bryant is now a 3B/LF/RF/1B so he can fit almost anywhere. Alas, Milw is probably the most obvious spot, the White Sox also a good fit and the Cubs would rather avoid those (and vice versa probably). Most serious contenders are in pretty good shape at 3B (depending on the expected return from IL in a couple of places) but nearly all of them could use a corner OF.

It will be interesting to see what Kimbrel brings. In the past, an established closer having a massive season would bring a very nice return (although not usually a Gleyber Torres) but teams seem a bit smarter these days. Hou seems the most likely destination given their pen is not great overall, Dusty would seem the type of guy to want a trad closer and Pressly is probably not gonna get that upset moving back to a set-up role. The Giants are kinda similar with Jake McGee. Every team in the NLE is desperate for bullpen help and a return to Atlanta seems reasonable.

Other short-term options teams might like to have but won't give us much for are Pederson, Davies and Tepera (if he can get off the IL). Longer-term assets include Contreras and Hendricks (who I'm guessing is staying put). Contreras obviously would cost a team a good bit.
   35. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:38 PM (#6027584)
Fantastic play by the Rockies third baseman, an absolute perfect bare handed play on a soft roller off the bat of Bader, he did everything he could possibly do to get the out, and the ump agreed it was an out, and on replay, even with Cardinal colored glasses I was thinking that they would have to stick with the call on the field, it was that close,(although at least one replay looked like he was safe) but they overturned the call on the field. Infield hit for Bader.
   36. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:41 PM (#6027586)
I'm still in the camp that the NL Central is up for grabs, a hot or cold streak for a team isn't really indicative of where they are at. I still don't think either the Pirates or Reds are actual contenders, but I think you win the NL central with 88 wins this season, and the Cubs, Brewers and Cardinals all have that in them. (and yes I know the Reds are currently in third place, I just don't think they have sustainability)
   37. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:44 PM (#6027587)
The Rockies third baseman is Ryan McMahon.
   38. Walt Davis Posted: July 03, 2021 at 09:51 PM (#6027588)
I see the White Sox have sent down early sensation Yermin Mercedes. The overall numbers are still OK but after his 1113 OPS in April, he put up a 619 in May and a meager 411 in 68 June PAs. He hadn't HR'd in his last 86 PA.

But Akil Baddoo continues to hit. He changes his hitting profile every monthy but they all seem to work:

April: 222/242/571 with 2 BB in 66 PA but 11 of his 14 hits were XBH
May: 256/431/419 with 14 BB in 58 PA ... what is that, Tony Phillips maybe? Who walks Baddoo 25% of the time?
June: 348/434/455 ... now he's Wade Boggs

After 4 HR in his first 25 PA, he has 1 HR in 180 PA but good doubles and lots of walks.

I'm not sure what weird combo of good production he's got ready for July -- maybe he'll start hitting RH.
   39. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:16 PM (#6027591)
This ump sucks, another out of the strike zone called strike. All outside, all waist or higher.
   40. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:19 PM (#6027592)
This is Kyle Freeland's third straight strong start, allowing just one run over that stretch.
   41. cardsfanboy Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:19 PM (#6027593)
Apparently Colorado is a pitchers park when it's these two teams playing.(barring one extra inning last night)
   42. Walt Davis Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:19 PM (#6027594)
Yacksel?

NLC: I agree that 88-89 wins might do it ... but the Brewers have an 8 game lead. It hasn't always been over but it's getting close. But sure, the Brewers still need to play 500 ball from here to get to 90 wins and that's far from guaranteed. And that at least one of the Reds, Cubs, Cards will play 600 is a decent probability. But really that adds up to, what, maybe a 1/8 chance everything goes the Cubs way?

Cubs are just not in a good position to take that chance. According to Cots, the Cubs dropped payroll by $55 M this year -- they were willing to take one last roll of the dice (that's why they got Davies back in the Darvish trade) but the longer-term intent is clearly to rebuild. Bryant, Rizzo and Baez are all FA at the end of the year; Kimbrel has an expensive option -- they might still re-sign one of the big 3 but it's pretty clear they aren't gonna re-sign all of them. Those are valuable assets you can get some solid return for, why would you hold onto them for a slim chance?

The Cubs sure look like a 500 team, which is pretty much what we thought pre-season. They are 10th in R/G and 7th in OPS+. Our position players are collectively 1.6 wins better than average; our SPs are dead last in the NL at -5; our relievers are #1 at +2.4. Our starters probably aren't that bad, there's almost no chance our bullpen is that good but below-average pitching overall sounds right. And this isn't the first horrible offensive stretch we had. We had a 9-game stretch in April scoring just 17 runs; later in April we got shutout 3 times in 4 games. In this 18 game stretch, we have scored 2 or fewer 13 times.
   43. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:39 PM (#6027597)
My phone won't let me quote your comment about the pitchers park, but the Rockies rotation is easily the strongest part of the team. This isn't a surprise.
   44. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:44 PM (#6027598)
The Angels optioned Griffin Canning today, with just two of his 12 outings qualified as a Quality Start. As amazing as Ohtani and Walsh have been going, there's been so much that just hasn't worked out for the Angels. Trout's hurt, Upton's hurt, Rendon's already had two IL stints, and guys who were supposed to be good (or even mediocre) haven't been. The season was basically over when Trout went on IL, so the fact that the Angels can actually get to .500 tonight is kind of exciting. This is a fun team to root for.
   45. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 03, 2021 at 10:51 PM (#6027600)
Yacksel?

He’s in year 5 of a truly forgettable career, yet somehow has managed a .778 winning %!
   46. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 03, 2021 at 11:39 PM (#6027605)
NLC: I agree that 88-89 wins might do it ... but the Brewers have an 8 game lead. It hasn't always been over but it's getting close. But sure, the Brewers still need to play 500 ball from here to get to 90 wins and that's far from guaranteed. And that at least one of the Reds, Cubs, Cards will play 600 is a decent probability. But really that adds up to, what, maybe a 1/8 chance everything goes the Cubs way?

FWIW, division title chances per 538:
Brewers 82%, Cubs 9%, Reds 7%, Cardinals 2%, Pirates negligible (they never say 0% until the team is mathematically eliminated). The Cardinals seem a little low there, but they think they're a worse team than the Cubs and Reds in addition to the slightly worse record.
   47. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 04, 2021 at 12:04 AM (#6027606)
Pedro Severino is not a good catcher.
   48. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 04, 2021 at 12:07 AM (#6027607)
Ohtani is 0-1 with three walks, two intentional. They're treating him like he's Barry Bonds.
   49. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 04, 2021 at 12:55 AM (#6027609)
Three teams have won 30 games at home: The White Sox, the Padres, and the Colorado Rockies, who after beating the Cardinals tonight are 30-17 at home and 6-31 on the road.
   50. stanmvp48 Posted: July 04, 2021 at 09:53 AM (#6027615)
After today, 33 home games and 44 road games remaining
   51. Astroenteritis Posted: July 04, 2021 at 12:57 PM (#6027623)
Thank goodness Astros are done playing Detroit and Baltimore. Things starting to look up again.
   52. JJ1986 Posted: July 04, 2021 at 03:00 PM (#6027633)
I don't understand how some replays still get obvious calls wrong.
   53. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: July 04, 2021 at 03:07 PM (#6027634)

I don't understand how some replays still get obvious calls wrong.

Are you watching the Mets-Yankees game? If so, I agree, Nimmo clearly looked safe at first.
   54. JJ1986 Posted: July 04, 2021 at 03:08 PM (#6027635)
Yeah. Gary Cohen got very upset about the review.
   55. Howie Menckel Posted: July 04, 2021 at 03:39 PM (#6027636)
Cole gets a few cheers as he leaves the Yankee Stadium mound in disgrace in the 4th inning - alas for him, it was all from Mets fans mocking this 'paper tiger.'
   56. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 04, 2021 at 04:00 PM (#6027637)
About to be nine straight for the Cubs. What a difference a week makes.
   57. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 04, 2021 at 04:11 PM (#6027638)
Fitting way to end this abomination of a road trip. Time to burn it to the ground!
   58. Astroenteritis Posted: July 04, 2021 at 04:35 PM (#6027639)
Astros follow up being swept at home by Baltimore by winning four in Cleveland, with a lineup today featuring Jason Castro, Chas McCormick, Abraham Toro, Taylor Jones and Robel Garcia. Baseball is strange, and wonderful.
   59. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 04, 2021 at 05:14 PM (#6027641)
Broken Hector Neris comes in for the ninth down 5-1. Throws 8 straight strikes to get to 0-2, 2 outs. He turns the 0-2 into a BB.

THEN …

BB
1B
2B
1B
HR

Bring in C Andrew Knapp to get out 3.

It’s so, so sad; he seems to be a lovable guy.
   60. Howie Menckel Posted: July 04, 2021 at 05:25 PM (#6027642)
Chapman - who like Cole mysteriously has collapsed since the second week of June [*cough*], is yanked - so to speak after allowing a game-tying HR to Alonso in the final inning and a BB and HBP.

NYY hoped a "magic Luetge" would stifle the Mets, but instead he spits up 5 more runs.

a young Mets fan adorned in a Conforto jersey caught a long fly ball to LF lower than I've ever seen - so it'a ground rule double in that uprising and the fan to make an early exit for his impudence. umps didn't even bother going to the booth, it was so obvious.

61. Walt Davis Posted: July 04, 2021 at 05:31 PM (#6027643)
Robel Garcia

Nice to see Robel back in the majors. He had a fun couple of weeks for the Cubs a couple of years ago (followed by a not fun couple of weeks).
   62. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 04, 2021 at 05:48 PM (#6027644)
Forgot to note it earlier, but Shohei Ohtani hit #31, a 453-foot monster to straightaway center. He ties Hideki Matsui for most homers in a season by a Japanese-born player in a single season. Ohtani has 80 games to break the record.
   63. JJ1986 Posted: July 04, 2021 at 05:57 PM (#6027645)
If one were hypothetically outside the US, is it possible to watch the ESPN games on mlb.tv?
   64. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 04, 2021 at 05:58 PM (#6027646)
The Rockies get yet another strong outing from their starting pitcher, with German Marquez going six innings and giving up two runs, striking out 11 and waling one. Rockies starter haven't allowed more than two earned runs in eleven straight games.

But the only offense has been a solo homer from Trevor Story. The Rockies haven't scored on anything other than a Story home run since the sixth inning Friday night.
   65. Walt Davis Posted: July 04, 2021 at 06:20 PM (#6027648)
#63 ... I don't know about hypothetically outside the US but if actually outside the US, yes, every MLB game is available on the international feed (or at least the one we get in Aus/NZ), including the playoffs.
   66. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 04, 2021 at 06:39 PM (#6027650)
Update: The Rox scratch out single runs in the 8th and 9th to beat the Cardinals 3-2, taking three of four in the Nolan Arenado revenge match.
   67. Howie Menckel Posted: July 04, 2021 at 06:46 PM (#6027652)
Yankees will soon get their fragile psyche examined on the ESPN Sunday Night game.

fun fact: if you paid through the nose for this game months ago - and most did - now you will still be stuck paying full price even though there are only 7 innings, not the 9 you thought you were getting. wouldn't be nearly as bad if tomorrow was not a national holiday. but it is.

#nevergiveasuckeranevenbreak
   68. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 04, 2021 at 07:14 PM (#6027653)
Angels walk it off for the second time in three games against Baltimore, and sweep the Os at home. Over .500!!

Anthony Rendon pulled because of a tight hammy. What else is new.
   69. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 04, 2021 at 07:31 PM (#6027654)
Chapman sh*ts the bed again. Red Sox continue to defy logic. What a strange baseballing world this is....
   70. bookbook Posted: July 04, 2021 at 08:21 PM (#6027656)
#22, if a bad team had the best quarterback and running back in the league you might not know it.
   71. John DiFool2 Posted: July 04, 2021 at 09:16 PM (#6027657)
It's perhaps not quite as bad as it wounds

Best autocorrect of the month.
   72. Walt Davis Posted: July 04, 2021 at 09:21 PM (#6027658)
I liked it too so left it there. But just an old-fashioned typo, don't blame auto-correct.
   73. Howie Menckel Posted: July 04, 2021 at 09:32 PM (#6027660)
I laughed....

07.04... Mets optioned OF Albert Almora to Triple-A Syracuse.
Spin: With their roster starting to get healthy, the Mets have had to make some tough decisions, and manager Luis Rojas said Sunday's decision to send Almora down was "really tough". The 27-year-old has struggled mightily at the plate this season, slashing .075/.098/.125 with a 15/1 K/BB ratio over 41 plate appearances. He'll look to get things sorted out at Triple-A, and will certainly be back in September at the latest for his elite defensive prowess in center field.

amusing that Cole and Chapman are named All-Stars today - while TWalker, Stroman, and EDiaz are not.

Green not only also pitched in both games today, he got 9 outs in the nightcap on 35 pitches - including an "Immaculate Inning" in the last inning with the vibe of a season on the line.

All-Star Chapman? he just watched.

granting that this one keeps getting easier

New York Yankees Stats
@nyyankeesstats
·
1m
Immaculate Inning in Yankees history:

Al Downing (8/11/1967)
Ron Guidry (8/7/1984)
AJ Burnett (6/20/2009)
Ivan Nova (5/29/2013)
Brandon McCarthy (9/17/2014)
Dellin Betances (8/2/2017)
Michael King (6/4/2021)
Chad Green (7/4/2021)
   74. Walt Davis Posted: July 05, 2021 at 01:12 AM (#6027664)
That's certainly a list of all-time Yankee greats.
   75. Doug Jones threw harder than me Posted: July 05, 2021 at 01:28 AM (#6027665)
#22, if a bad team had the best quarterback and running back in the league you might not know it.

Point taken. For the good of the game, I hope the Angels can turn it around, it would be a shame to for Ohtani AND Trout to spend their entire careers on non-playoff teams.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogFINAL REGULAR SEASON OMNICHATTER! for September 27 thru Game 162!
(59 - 10:32pm, Sep 28)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4666 - 10:23pm, Sep 28)
Last: spivey 2

NewsblogNew York Mets Embark on Branding Effort to Build Cred and Win Young Fans
(25 - 9:29pm, Sep 28)
Last: reech

NewsblogThe Cardinals’ Impressive Winning Streak Doesn’t Guarantee October Success
(18 - 8:03pm, Sep 28)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(14218 - 7:29pm, Sep 28)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogThe Giants Capitalize on the First Pitch
(4 - 7:16pm, Sep 28)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(322 - 6:08pm, Sep 28)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogShohei Ohtani, on future with Los Angeles Angels: 'I want to win'
(28 - 5:34pm, Sep 28)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogArizona Diamondbacks give manager Torey Lovullo one-year extension despite 104-loss season
(12 - 5:33pm, Sep 28)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogBrother HRs off brother for first time since '75
(15 - 5:28pm, Sep 28)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogBaseball’s Wall Street-Style Executives Get Titles to Match
(1 - 4:37pm, Sep 28)
Last: winnipegwhip

NewsblogTB progressing with Montreal Sister City plan
(55 - 2:38pm, Sep 28)
Last: Jay Seaver

NewsblogWhy Detroit Tigers, Chicago White Sox stormed the field: 'It wasn't intentional'
(9 - 1:28pm, Sep 28)
Last: zenstudent

NewsblogYus Your Illusion: Yusmeiro Petit and the Well-Hidden Power of Pitcher Deception
(1 - 12:59pm, Sep 28)
Last: CFBF's Results are Certified

Hall of Merit2022 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(184 - 12:06pm, Sep 28)
Last: Dr. Chaleeko

Page rendered in 0.5601 seconds
48 querie(s) executed