Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Three-year study proposes $35,000 minimum salary for all minor-league players

A groundbreaking three-year study into the working conditions of minor-league baseball players found that a $35,000 minimum salary would “bring players above the federal poverty line and put them in line with living wage standards,” according to an executive player summary released to The Athletic.

The 17-page report, which also spotlights in-season housing, offseason training and contract length as major issues, was developed by the non-profit More Than Baseball group with data collected in conjunction with Chris McLeod (Professor of Sports Management at the University of Florida) and Nola Agha (Professor of Sport Management at the University of San Francisco) through player interviews, responses to MTB program forums and a 2022 Housing Survey. The report draws on data from more than 800 minor-league players between 2019-22, 83 percent of whom said salary was the biggest change they’d like to see moving forward.

“We are providing minor-league players a platform to set the agenda themselves and define the goals of the movement to improve working conditions in minor-league baseball,” said Simon Rosenblum-Larson, one of MTB’s co-founders, who is currently a right-handed pitcher in the Tampa Bay Rays organization. “More Than Baseball will continue pushing until all players are provided the support they need to succeed on and off the baseball field.”

Report available here.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 10, 2022 at 11:44 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor leagues

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: April 10, 2022 at 06:35 PM (#6071094)
Hmph! Back in my day, we didn't have no "minimum salaries"! We'd play septuple-headers every Sunday for a few pieces o' barleycorn! Then we'd have t' take the stadium apart, piece by piece, scrub every bit of it with Lysol, and put it all back together by sun-up! An' if was late, the coach would whup us all with a cat-o-nine-tails! Yessir, we was men in them days...!
   2. Szym Posted: April 10, 2022 at 09:06 PM (#6071105)
It took three years to study if X salary would bring their wages over the federal poverty line? You wouldn't even need three minutes to compare two numbers.

3. Ron J Posted: April 10, 2022 at 10:32 PM (#6071117)
#2 The hell of it is that making a requirement to pay a decent wage would almost certainly lead to further contractions of the minors.

I mean that is pretty messed up, but ...
   4. BDC Posted: April 11, 2022 at 10:48 AM (#6071144)
Time for my regular reminder that $35K is the median salary for a university English instructor at my institution – to teach ten courses a year; these positions require a PhD or MFA, and many people in them have 10 years or more of teaching experience. Of course, like a minor-league ballplayer, an English professor gets a few months off a year and can work part-time at something else :)
   5. Cris E Posted: April 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM (#6071154)
Yeah, but be fair BDC, those 17 year old kids from the DR have dedicated their whole life to the game, not just six or eight years of "study". But hey, if you work on your knuckleball maybe you could get one of these minor league jobs in the summer.
   6. sanny manguillen Posted: April 11, 2022 at 12:49 PM (#6071155)
For comparison, from the wikipedia article on the Frontier League (4 month season):

Pay in the Frontier League is minimal. For the 2020 season, each team had a salary cap of $85,000 and most player salaries had a maximum of $1,600 a month. Veterans could earn up to $2,500 per month, and each team's highest-paid player could make as much as $4,000 a month with only one-third of the salary counting against the cap.

Due to the low pay, players typically live with host families and receive meal money during the season.
   7. Jeff Francoeur's OPS Posted: April 11, 2022 at 04:30 PM (#6071181)
How about a minimum signing bonus instead of a minimum salary?
   8. TJ Posted: April 11, 2022 at 08:22 PM (#6071211)
Time for my regular reminder that $35K is the median salary for a university English instructor at my institution –

If what a society values is reflected by wages paid, who do you think Americans would offer to see making $35K a year- a minor league baseball player of an English Lit prof?
   9. John Reynard Posted: April 12, 2022 at 03:36 AM (#6071237)
Time for my regular reminder that $35K is the median salary for a university English instructor at my institution – to teach ten courses a year; these positions require a PhD or MFA, and many people in them have 10 years or more of teaching experience. Of course, like a minor-league ballplayer, an English professor gets a few months off a year and can work part-time at something else :)

Wow, that is so poor that the adjuncts where I live do better these days if they teach a 4-4-2 or 5-5 load.

I made about $70k with #### benefits as a year-to-year contract professor of economics over 15 years ago. Someone should unionize academia since the administrators are overhead and non-essential to operations.

Of course, I couldn't even hit a little league curve ball so, my baseball career ended at 12.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogVideo shows Tony La Russa may have listened to fan in stands before putting pinch runner in
(3 - 12:44pm, Aug 16)
Last: Cris E

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(76 - 12:43pm, Aug 16)
Last: The Mighty Quintana

NewsblogA’s Promote Shea Langeliers, Release Stephen Piscotty
(2 - 12:34pm, Aug 16)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogYankees in desperate need of jolt as feeble slide continues to grow concern
(10 - 12:20pm, Aug 16)
Last: JL72

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(23 - 11:33am, Aug 16)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogTalking Friars on Twitter: List of Tatis Events
(5 - 11:27am, Aug 16)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogEric Hosmer: Fantasy football league back on the rails
(4 - 11:02am, Aug 16)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(40 - 10:53am, Aug 16)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogThe AL MVP race is closer than you think
(34 - 10:38am, Aug 16)
Last: Ithaca2323

NewsblogRangers fire manager Chris Woodward in midst of fourth straight losing season
(24 - 10:29am, Aug 16)
Last: Jaack

Hall of Merit2023 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(172 - 10:10am, Aug 16)
Last: Jaack

NewsblogFernando Tatis Sr. says 'all of baseball' loses with son suspended 80 games for 'something so insignificant'
(1 - 9:38am, Aug 16)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

NewsblogHéctor Gómez on Twitter: "The testing on Fernando Tatis Jr. was carried out at the end of March...
(1 - 9:35am, Aug 16)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers starter Walker Buehler will have season-ending elbow surgery next week
(2 - 9:30am, Aug 16)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogFernando Tatis Jr. offers ridiculous lie as excuse for cheating
(17 - 5:37am, Aug 16)
Last: John DiFool2

Page rendered in 0.6761 seconds
45 querie(s) executed