LHP Robbie Ray, Blue Jays
LHP Eduardo Rodríguez, Red Sox
SS Corey Seager, Dodgers
IF Marcus Semien, Blue Jays
SS Trevor Story, Rockies
RHP Noah Syndergaard, Mets
UT Chris Taylor, Dodgers
RHP Justin Verlander, Astros

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: qualifying offers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Nasty Nate Posted: November 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM (#6052272)
He wasn't one of the 3 in the article, but is there a chance Verlander accepts?
   2. cardsfanboy Posted: November 10, 2021 at 01:08 PM (#6052279)
He wasn't one of the 3 in the article, but is there a chance Verlander accepts?

nevermind, wrong name.. Noah did.
   3. JJ1986 Posted: November 10, 2021 at 01:14 PM (#6052280)
Without reading the article, I would guess Syndergaard, Belt and Iglesias.
   4. cardsfanboy Posted: November 10, 2021 at 01:26 PM (#6052289)
Without reading the article, I would guess Syndergaard, Belt and Iglesias.

Yep, only other potentials among the 14 is Chris Taylor, and Verlander to be honest. I think Taylor almost has to take the offer also (and I think it was a stupid offer to be honest)
   5. Walt Davis Posted: November 10, 2021 at 05:27 PM (#6052382)
Noah for sure. I'm surprised Verlander and the Astros couldn't come to some agreement like "the QO plus incentives." What sort of deal can Verlander really expect as a 39-yo who hasn't pitched in 2 years. Is somebody really gonna rock up with more than one year? Substantially more than $18 guaranteed?

Iglesias should probably decline it. I don't know why closers make as much money as they do but Hendricks got 3/$54 just last year, the White Sox (I sense a theme) picked up Kimbrel's $16 M option anyway. Surely Iglesias can get at least 2/$32 to 3/$45 and might well get a Jansen-esque 5/$80. I assume eventually the market for these guys will collapse and maybe it will be this year but that's the only way he'll regret turning this down. (He's slightly Mo-esque in that his rookie year as a starter, not bad, still pulls down his career ERA+ by 17 points.)

I agree Taylor has to take this. Hernandez got just 2/$14 last year. Maybe Taylor is better but even 2/$24 or 3/$27 are borderline relative to 1/$18 and take your chances ... and is anybody really gonna top 2/$24 or 3/$27? Granted, for whatever reasons, he made about 50% more than Hernandez in their arb years so maybe 2/$24 to 3/$27 aren't out of the queston.

Belt -- I'm agnostic. The article cites his lousy statcast numbers. But it's pretty hard to ignore a 165 OPS+ over his last 600 PA ... and hard to ignore the meh numbers the years before that and his age. I'm too lazy to look him up on statcast but the avg EV and hard-hit numbers at b-r show him to have always bounced around by a couple MPH of EV and about 10 percentage points on hard-hit so it's not clear that he's in decline. He hit a lot more FBs this year so maybe he's added LA to his game ... or maybe that was his last ditch adaptation to a slowing bat and pitchers will adjust next year and that's it. If I were him, I'd rely on my agent but I'll guess that he can get something like 2/$30 out there and, at his age, I think that's better than 1/$18 and hope. Add in things like whether he really likes SF, etc.

(The agent might point out that Rizzo is also out there or, if the Yanks re-sign him, Voit will probably be available. And Freeman (whole other level) and Olson is probably available for trade. And that CJ Cron just had a nice season in Colorado, has very similar numbers over the last 4 years and just re-upped for 2/$14. On the other hand, if the NL adopts the DH, that should help Belt. Hence my agnosticism.)
   6. JJ1986 Posted: November 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM (#6053101)
The Angels are giving away a 2nd rounder for 1-year of Syndergaard.
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: November 17, 2021 at 06:29 PM (#6053354)
Belt accepts.
   8. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 17, 2021 at 06:45 PM (#6053360)
Verlander just signed a 1 year, $25M deal with the Astros. Seems to be a $25M player option for 2023, too
   9. cardsfanboy Posted: November 17, 2021 at 08:18 PM (#6053372)
Obviously I should never be a GM or an agent, no way if I'm Chris Taylor do I not take the QO, unless I really didn't like the team. I do think that the Angels deal is a good deal for the Angels, Noah and the Mess, so that is fine and all, but it's a bit weird to be honest. And unless the Astros are way away from the cap, do I think the Verlander deal makes sense, agree with Walt, the Astros should have pushed for the qo with incentives type of contract with a vesting players option based upon innings pitched.

I cannot imagine any good organization giving Chris Taylor more than the Qo. Heck, I think it's hard for me to imagine a bad organization giving him more than the QO, and giving up a draft pick to boot. I fully expect him to still be a free agent when spring training comes along.
   10. Jose is Absurdly Correct but not Helpful Posted: November 18, 2021 at 11:40 AM (#6053423)
Taylor is probably locking in on multiple years rather than AAV. He may view 4/60 as a better deal than 1/18.5.
   11. DCA Posted: November 18, 2021 at 01:55 PM (#6053449)
I'm at least half expecting the Dodgers to sign Taylor to a modest deal (4/60 seems a bit low, but maybe 4/64-72) and pass on all the top dollar shortstops.
   12. cardsfanboy Posted: November 19, 2021 at 09:11 AM (#6053538)
That makes sense about multiple years for Taylor... I just don't really see many teams making a move on him to give up a draft pick. If this is just part of negotiating with the Dodgers, then it does make sense, if he has a good feeling about what the Dodgers will offer him in a multi year deal.
   13. DCA Posted: November 19, 2021 at 10:29 AM (#6053546)
Marginal guys should always take the QO if they like the org they are with (and doing so doesn't preclude signing a longer-term deal; see Jose Abreu). Or they can play out the year at $18m and have a free market next year

And they should always decline it if they want out. Worst case, they sign a cheap one-year deal somewhere and hit the market unrestricted in a year. Just don't do the holdout until midseason to shake loose the pick penalty, I think that ruined Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales.
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: November 19, 2021 at 09:26 PM (#6053643)
Having said what I did, I just saw a tweet in which the Cardinals are now attached to Chris Taylor, and for the life of me, I cannot figure why.

Without the draft pick, I can see giving him 2 years at 30 or 3 at 40 or something like that, but they are talking about a 2 year for 40 type of thing, and I just don't get it, there is not a single position on the team he is an improvement over, and for a super sub, even that isn't worth blocking up and comers like Gorman or not taking full advantage of true free agent stars.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of September 26 - October 5, 2022
(210 - 9:27pm, Oct 03)
Last: HBO disappeared Oscar

NewsblogThree impacts of baseball's new 12-team postseason format
(23 - 9:17pm, Oct 03)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogOT: Wrestling Thread November 2014
(2544 - 8:18pm, Oct 03)
Last: 57i66135 is a hard word for me.

NewsblogTo dream the impossible dream - and then decide it's time to let it go
(50 - 8:13pm, Oct 03)
Last: Zach

NewsblogHector Lopez, Who Broke a Baseball Color Barrier, Dies at 93
(24 - 8:12pm, Oct 03)
Last: BDC

Newsblog2022-23 Preseason NBA thread
(362 - 8:11pm, Oct 03)
Last: Fourth True Outcome

NewsblogShohei Ohtani to make $30 million in 2023, record amount for arbitration-eligible player
(17 - 8:07pm, Oct 03)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogRoger Maris Jr. blasts MLB, says Aaron Judge’s potential 62nd home run should be single-season record
(122 - 7:06pm, Oct 03)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogTony La Russa expected to announce retirement Monday as White Sox manager
(15 - 7:02pm, Oct 03)
Last: asinwreck

NewsblogAtlanta Braves sign RHP Charlie Morton to 1-year, $20 million deal for 2023
(4 - 5:16pm, Oct 03)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(304 - 5:14pm, Oct 03)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogThere's a new longest last name in MLB history
(15 - 4:19pm, Oct 03)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogTrevor Bauer’s defamation case against accuser’s former attorney could be thrown out
(30 - 3:40pm, Oct 03)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT - October 2022 College Football thread
(48 - 1:49pm, Oct 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(143 - 12:59pm, Oct 02)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

Page rendered in 0.3692 seconds
48 querie(s) executed