Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, January 20, 2006

THT: Brattain—Big Mac Attack

So … Mark McGwire, a Hall of Famer: yes or no? The man hit 583 home runs. He was an All Star 12 times, he was a top-10 MVP vote getter five times, he was a Rookie of the Year, and his OPS+ of 163 is 11th best in baseball history. What more do you want from a Hall of Fame candidate?

Oh yeah—that little steroid thing. Well, he’s never tested positive. He’s never confessed to anything, so what’s the problem?

Well, it’s not that simple—obviously.

Thanks to (out of order).

VG Posted: January 20, 2006 at 06:34 PM | 210 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hall of fame

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. rr Posted: January 24, 2006 at 06:21 AM (#1835540)
Why does my opinion interest you so much.

It doesn't. He just wants to stay on your good side so you won't withhold sex.
   202. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 25, 2006 at 03:58 AM (#1836899)
This kills me, Chris.

Unfortunately, you aren't being literal.

First, Foxx batted 9 times you dishonest so-and-so.

BTW, there's NOTHING about that that is dishonest. What makes it dishonest? What's funny is your need to re-write BL's post.

I deliberately made the cutoff high to dramatize that only the juicers were getting there. You really can't figure that out?

Actually, no. You made it high enough to cut everyone out but two hitters. *That* is dishonest - unless you think there's something magical about 66 and .750 (feel free to expound).

Of course, I'd like an explanation why if steroids make people hit all these HRs, why didn't Raffy hit 66 HRs or SLG .750?

Also, I'm waiting for you to name the steroid users that stole 100 bases. (or any of the other records I asked you about). Oh, you don't have to answer questions - that's you being tough. If I don't, then I'm just chicken to answer it. Please.

That canoe you're bailing is sinking fast. And you have four people with buckets...

If you won't acknowledge that, then you're just being pigheaded.

I hope JC and BL read this and understood it to be a dishonest insult. Because it is.

kevin,
unlike you, I happen to know the last 10 years has seen a *league wide* offensive explosion. You claim it is due to steroids - and that somehow every player started taking them in 1993 and then again in 1994 when the offense jumped nearly 20%. You claim this is due to steroids? That's nonsense. Why would you claim that (which is what you did when you point to the fact that there are high offensive performances in a high offense era as due solely to steroids).

11 years ago, in the HISTORY of ML baseball, some 120 years, there were 28 seasons of 49 HRs. Seriously - only 28 times in 120 years had 49 HRs been hit. From 1995-2005, it happened 27 times. Now, you claim that is all due to steroids. Well, I hope it was.

Because that would mean a huge number of players were using steroids - that the use was pervasive and there is no way it could have been "a secret". Then all your claims of cheating go by the wayside.

Albert Belle? Sure why not accuse him? He had the temperment of Bonds, and we all know about 'roid rage. You just accused Jeff Bagwell. What do you care? There's Brady Anderson. Throw him in there - he's a given. Luis Gonzalez - gotta be a juicer (I think he knew Caminiti). Jim Thome, yes, him too. Ken Griffey - that would explain all his subtle injuries.

And of course ARod - see how bulky he's gotten lately?

So pretty much every star is a juicer. But that isn't pervasive and it's likely it was very secretive. Giambi, Canseco, Palmiero.

Why stop there? How about Juan Gonzalez? Matt Wiliams - teh muscles; the baldness, the falling off a cliff... And IRod. And Javy Lopez? And Bret Boone, Benito Santiago, and then the pitchers with big IP seasons (something helped them bounce back faster) - Clemens, Schilling, Livan, RJ - and the guys muscling up the fastball - Kerry Wood, Billy Wagner, Gagne.
And then there are the young guys who are so bulky - Texiera, Marcus Giles, David Wright, and so on.

We "caught" Matt Lawton, Alex Sanchez, Manny Alexander, Ryan Franklin (who denies it and tested positive once in 6 times)...

Man, that's a long list for a secret club, and I barely scratched the surface. Soon no one will go anymore - it's too crowded.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogHow Government Devastated Minor League Baseball
(2 - 7:48am, Aug 12)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogTrevor Bauer Faces Sexual Battery Allegations in New Countersuit
(12 - 6:16am, Aug 12)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogQuite a Sho: Ohtani ties Ruth, passes Ichiro in same game
(18 - 10:47pm, Aug 11)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 8-15, 2022
(198 - 10:25pm, Aug 11)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogJason Heyward, despite another year left on contract, won't be back with Chicago Cubs in 2023, Jed Hoyer says
(36 - 10:21pm, Aug 11)
Last: Sweatpants

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4141 - 10:08pm, Aug 11)
Last: rr would lock Shaq's a$$ up

NewsblogThe Orioles' advantage is hiding in plain sight
(6 - 8:35pm, Aug 11)
Last: donlock

Newsblog2022 MLB Field of Dreams Game: Four things to know with Cubs, Reds set to meet in Iowa
(13 - 7:41pm, Aug 11)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogAs they take the Field of Dreams, where do the Chicago Cubs stand in their latest rebuild?
(2 - 7:18pm, Aug 11)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogVaughn Grissom makes history with HR, steal in debut
(10 - 6:17pm, Aug 11)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

Newsblog‘A League of Their Own’: There’s Still No Crying in Baseball — Just Room for Fixing Old Errors
(62 - 5:35pm, Aug 11)
Last: Cris E

NewsblogSI:Is Nationals Starter Patrick Corbin Having the Worst Pitching Season Ever?
(9 - 5:19pm, Aug 11)
Last: Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network)

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(5 - 5:17pm, Aug 11)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogDetroit Tigers fire general manager Al Avila after seven seasons
(22 - 5:06pm, Aug 11)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogRodolfo Castro loses phone while diving into third in Pirates’ loss
(26 - 4:16pm, Aug 11)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

Page rendered in 0.6308 seconds
48 querie(s) executed