Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

THT: Studeman: Terrible news

I want to let all of THT’s readers know that one of our most prolific writers and favorite people, John Brattain, just passed away.

Many of us got to know John through the Baseball Think Factory, where his good humor was always on display. John joined the THT writing team more than four years ago, and he further honed his extraordinary wit, humanity and sense of fun every week on our site (and elsewhere). For a while, he even contributed twice a week. He was one of the people who made THT a truly rewarding experience for all of us.

John is survived by a wife and two teenage daughters. As information about his service becomes available, we’ll pass it along.

EDIT: What awful news. John has been a frequent visitor to this site from just about day one. All of us here very much enjoyed his good humor and wisdom. Like many of you, I’m sure, he and I shared quite a few emails and exchanges. He was always a very funny and classy gentleman, even when he disagreed with you. He will certainly be missed. Our condolences go out to his family and friends. As much as we’ll miss him, their loss certainly is a more difficult burden.—Best Regards, Jim

Just some of the bloggers that John touched…

Baseball Loses A Great Writer And Humanity A Great Person (Lisa Gray)

Goodbye Bones (Matthew/Lookout Landing)

Baseball Writer John Brattain Passed Away (Rince/Bluebird Banter)

BDD Loses One of Its Own…Farewell to Our Good Friend John Brattain (Joe Hamrahi)

John Brattain

A Death In The Family (Cliff Corcoran)

A Sad Day for Hardball Times, Baseball Fans

Death in the Blogging Family (David Pinto)

Good night, funnyman (Peter Collodoro)

The World is Less Funny (Dave Cameron)

In Honor of John Brattain (Bill Baer)

Best Regards, John: John Brattain – 1965-2009 (Maury Brown)

RIP John Brattain (Jona Keri)

John Brattain, 1965-2009 (Neil deMause)

BP Family Loses One of Its Own (Baseball Prospectus)

Best Regards (Larry Mahnken)

To John Brattain ... (Neate Sager)

RIP John Brattain (Pat Lackey)

John Brattain, 1965-2009: Best Regards (Rob Iracane)

John Brattain: I considered him a valuable colleague (Rob Neyer)

A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Away. . . (John’s wonderful Designated Hitter bit for The Baseball Analysts)

Repoz Posted: March 24, 2009 at 08:20 PM | 641 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: community, obituaries

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM (#3113484)
Wow. I do remember him from quite a few Yankee threads, again, terrible news. The web is such a strange place where people who are, essentially, a part of our everyday lives can be taken from us and we don't necessarily know that they are gone.

True. It is unusual that we know the actual name of people who post here, in fact.

And if we saw a blog entry saying "Terrible news: I want to let all of BTF’s readers know that one of our most prolific writers and favorite people, ?Donde esta Dagoberto Campaneris?, just passed away." it would be a little hard to appreciate the gravity of the situation.

(replace "Rowland Office Supplies" with "Declino DeShields", "Van Lingle Mungo Jerry", "Rowland Office Supplies", etc.)
   202. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM (#3113485)
Just awful news. John was one of the regulars here I would have liked to meet in person. Just shocking and sad.
   203. CraigK Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM (#3113487)
Something cosmic about the fact that he goes the same day Loria screws Florida out of a stadium.
   204. aleskel Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM (#3113489)
It's a strange feeling to mourn someone you only know as a name on a byline or post, but this is truly sad.

If anyone knows about his family asking for donations to a particular charity or anything like that, please share.

And I second the tribute idea suggested in #163.

Best regards,

aleskel
   205. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM (#3113490)
Good point Crispix. As such, I would like to reveal my real name to you: I am none other than former Cars guitarist Elliot Easton.
   206. Endless Trash Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM (#3113491)
I think it's safe to say that none of us can post anything in this thread that would measure up to what John would have posted.

It won't be the same watching the Jays this year without John's musings. What a terrible development.
   207. Van Lingle Mungo Jerry Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM (#3113492)
(replace "Rowland Office Supplies" with "Declino DeShields", "Van Lingle Mungo Jerry", "Rowland Office Supplies", etc.)

Jesus, Crispix, I feel like I just read my own obituary. Don't do that to me again.
   208. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM (#3113493)
Sorry VLMJ, I didn't know that was your real name.

"Sadly, Crispix is no longer Attacking, as he passed away Saturday morning after a long battle with Cushing's disease. His real name was Crispix McMillan McNish. Cards and letters may be sent to the following address:"
   209. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM (#3113496)
My condolences to his family and friends, and may he RIP. BTF is a fun escape from work, and John always made it that much more enjoyable.
   210. Steve Treder Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM (#3113497)
Re: John Brattain's health

As far as I know, the heart ailment was just the most recent in a long line of very serious issues John had been battling for quite a while. Over his time at THT, he was in and out of the hospital several times for this or that entirely non-trivial procedure, all of which appeared to involve significant degrees of pain and agony. And he had survived a very bad car accident (motorcycle? I don't remember) about 15 years ago.

Yet his mood when relating these challenges was never in the least self-pitying, unfailingly good-humored and self-effacing. And he maintained a rigorous writing schedule throughout.

It's customary, of course, to say nothing but what a great person anyone was who just passed away. But in this case, he does seem to have been genuinely quite extraordinary.
   211. Danny Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM (#3113498)
So sad. He was probably the only universally liked person here. With his glowing personality, I doubt Primer was the only place in which that was true.
   212. jwb Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM (#3113501)
You wanna joke, John? Ok.

John Brattain stumbles into a bar and slumps into a booth with four other guys. A minute later, he stumbles up to the bar and tells the bartender "I bet you $20CND I can bite my eye." The bartender says ok. John pops out his glass eye, bites it, smiles, and says "Double or nothin', I can bite my other eye." The bartender says ok. John pops out his false teeth and bites his other eye. John says, "Double or nothin', slide a beer mug down the bar, I'll run along the stools and piss in it and not miss a single drop." The bartender moves all of the patrons off their stools, everyone prepares themselves, and they're off. John pisses everywhere: on the bar, on the back bar, on the bartender, not a drop in the mug. John is laughing, the bartender is laughing, the house is laughing. The bartender says, "Why are you laughing? You just lost $40." John says, "See those four guys over there in that booth? I bet them each $100 that I could piss in your face and you'd laugh!"

Hope you like it. It's the best I've got.

Sorry you're not going to be around for the Bud Selig funeral/ worm/ fish/ cat by-product/ maggot/urine ceremony. I've scoped out Kenesaw Mountain Landis' gravesite to harvest the worms like I said I would.

Condolences to all.

Best Regards,

jwb
   213. Walt Davis Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM (#3113507)
Such sad news.

I was going to say rest in peace.

But that's not right.

John, I wish you an eternity of bad puns, groaning jokes, stretched analogies ... and the uproarious laughter of everyone around you. :-)

You're already missed.

And say hi to Doug Pappas for all of us too.
   214. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM (#3113513)
I'm never good at these condolences things, so I usually don't post. I'll merely add that I will miss John's writing (I hope that doesn't sound too selfish), and always remember OT converstaions about fishing we had way back when.
   215. 185/456(GGC) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM (#3113514)
How did John stumble into baseball writing? I recall a thread eons ago where he said that he used to do work with Lee Sinins way back when. I sort of feel like I know John, but I don't really know all that much about him.
   216. Sean McNally Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM (#3113515)
The death of someone you've never met or interacted with shouldn't affect you this way.

I was riding the bus home, reading the tributes on my blackberry and began to tear up.

It makes me sad he's gone, but happy for this community he leaves behind. One full of vibrant, witty, intelligent people who clearly care not just about this game we obsess and agonize over, but for each other.

Due to a child at home and a Web filter at work I don't visit as often as I should, but this is a reminder I should.

If only because I feel poorer for missing John's jokes.

Best regards John, like Gehrig and Clemente - a Hall of Famer taken too soon.

SMinDC
   217. pv nasby Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM (#3113516)
Oh this is bad. ########. Thanks for the laughs John.

Remember the caption contest one link had for a sign someone held up behind Bonds? I think it was made for John.
   218. dlf Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM (#3113517)
This place won't be nearly as punny without John around. (Sorry John, it was forced, I'll do better when I'm done being whistful.)
   219. Sean McNally Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM (#3113518)
The death of someone you've never met or interacted with shouldn't affect you this way.

I was riding the bus home, reading the tributes on my blackberry and began to tear up.

It makes me sad he's gone, but happy for this community he leaves behind. One full of vibrant, witty, intelligent people who clearly care not just about this game we obsess and agonize over, but for each other.

Due to a child at home and a Web filter at work I don't visit as often as I should, but this is a reminder I should.

SMinDC
   220. DL from MN Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM (#3113519)
"You don't care if your kid gets A's B's or C's on his report card, you just want to know how high he is above the class average."

It's always funnier when it's true. My son brought home 2 Ds and I blew them off because he scored above the 80th percentile on the standardized tests in the subjects.

I can't say I ever directly had a discussion with him but I always enjoyed his presence. I can only imagine what those close to him are going through.
   221. Sean McNally Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM (#3113520)

SMinDC
   222. Rob_Wood Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM (#3113521)
Just read the terrible sad news. John, you'll truly be missed.
   223. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM (#3113522)

You mean like making you triple post?

I think snark is appropriate in a Brattain remberance thread.
   224. Sean McNally Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM (#3113523)
A triple post from a mobile device?

Gotta be John messing with me.
   225. wjones Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM (#3113524)
As someone who watched his wife battle one chronic illness after another until her body simply gave out at 47, I can understand how much his family will miss him, grieve for him terribly, yet on some level feel relief that he doesn't have to go through the pain anymore. What a strong, strong person John had to be. I loved reading posts and articles--sought them out, as a matter of fact. I'd like to think my life was somehow a little brighter because of his talents.

Best Regards,

wj
   226. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq., LLC Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM (#3113525)
So long, John. You were always very supportive of me, and although we never met, I considered you a good friend. I love you, John. You were one of a kind, and you had an impact on those who were fortunate enough to have crossed your path.

Best regards,

Larry
   227. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:05 PM (#3113527)
I don't know that there's ever been anyone I've never met in person whom I feel I knew as well, and liked as much, as John.

Hear, hear.

My first meaningful job in sports writing was as MLB editor of the now-defunct sportstalk.com, probably 10 years ago. During that time, I had the privilege of editing John's work. He'd file a column and tell me how closely I needed to proofread based on how much he'd been drinking when he wrote it (he actually had some kind of 10-point scale for this purpose). And then I'd barely touch a word.

He was just a good, good man. John and his family will be at the top of my prayers tonight, and I'll hoist a pint in his honor. Fair sailing, my friend.

Best Regards,

Dayn
   228. Darren Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM (#3113530)
Best regards, John. Just don't know what else to say.
   229. CraigK Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM (#3113531)
To be honest, I think his only regret was that he couldn't take Samson and Loria with him.
   230. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM (#3113533)
GGC: yes, Steve was at the Yankee game this summer. Steve had had some significant health problems this offseason, but was getting better and they thought he'd be back home by sometime in April. His passing was sudden and unexpected.

For any local folks interested, there's actually going to be a memorial for him this Saturday afternoon. I'll send details via email to anybody who asks.
   231. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq., LLC Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM (#3113537)
David, I am interested, although I'm unsure if I can do anything.
   232. rr Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM (#3113538)
Kevin has asked me to pass along his condolences to John's family and friends, that he is saddened by John's tragic passing, and that John was a warm, funny person, great fun, who will be missed a great deal by kevin personally and of course by all.
   233. rr Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM (#3113539)
To be honest, I think his only regret was that he couldn't take Samson and Loria with him.

Don't forget Selig.
   234. Marcel Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM (#3113540)
####### horrible news. Best regards John
   235. SacBunt Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM (#3113544)
What everyone else said. You'll be missed, John.
   236. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM (#3113545)
What was wrong with him? A few poster have hinted at things, about his body betraying him and chronic pain, but what was the actual problem (if someone wants to share). Was that related to the heart problem?

Aside from what Treder noted in post #211, IIRC Brattain once mentioned here that he had a stroke (!) around age 30. Maybe I'm misremembering and thinking of the car accident Treder mentioned above, though. Back in the days of the primeys, someone one nominated John for best serious post when he discussed his health issues. He'd had some serious problems since age 29 or 30. Basically, if you check back his THT archives, a lot of the breaks in his writing over the last year or two are when he was in the hospital for various un-fun procedures.
   237. 185/456(GGC) Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM (#3113548)
Thanks, David. I didn't know him from rsbb or anything but he seemed like a good guy.
   238. The Most Interesting Man In The World Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM (#3113549)
Damn, this sucks. Reading THT (and BBTF) won't be the same.
   239. Srul Itza Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM (#3113550)
Very sad news. John was so much a part of what made this place worth visiting. Good humor and light outlook in the face of neverending flame wars.

Condolences to his family for their loss, which so greatly outweighs ours.

Hoist one in heaven for the rest of us John.
   240. Steve Treder Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM (#3113551)
Basically, if you check back his THT archives, a lot of the breaks in his writing over the last year or two are when he was in the hospital for various un-fun procedures.

Every break, as far as I could tell. It was quite clear that every day John could possibly write, he did.

I know he had some kind of semi-regular role on a sports radio show, as well. That had to have been a hoot.
   241. Harry Balsagne Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:23 PM (#3113552)
I'm in tears right now. John was my favorite writer on THT and one of my favorite posters here. His humor reminded me of my father's, who also died young.

I once submitted an article of his on Barry Bonds, which I thought was one of the most reasoned, sensible perspectives on Bonds in sports journalism. I never knew him, but ate up every word he wrote.

RIP, brother. So sad.
   242. Howie Menckel Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM (#3113555)
Terribly late to this one, but I'd just like to add to the long stream of posters who appreciated John's good humor and his contributions to the site.

Small solace for his family to be sure.... but perhaps someone at the appropriate time can let his family know about a thread that commemorates the number of lives that their loved one touched via his insights here.

Best regards, indeed.
   243. My guest will be Jermaine Allensworth Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM (#3113556)
Somebody with that many physical problems shouldn't be so damn cheerful. Makes the rest of us look bad.

Best regards, John -- the gentle giant* of BTF.

(*Relative to David Samson)
   244. Vrhovnik Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM (#3113561)
Neka po?iva u miru Božjem!
   245. Sean McNally Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM (#3113564)
A triple post from a mobile device?

Gotta be John messing with me.
   246. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM (#3113565)
The world doesn't have enough charming, funny people in it that it can afford to lose one of them.
   247. Benji Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM (#3113566)
Damn. I always knew his posts would make me laugh. Thank you, John and rest in peace.
   248. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM (#3113568)
Not much I can add to what's been said. I've always looked forward to John's writing, both his articles and posts, and will really miss them...
   249. bob gee Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM (#3113570)
to anyone who knows john's family...please pass the thoughts of this thread (and others) on to them.

a good man has passed....
   250. Bryce B. Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM (#3113572)
"The death of someone you've never met or interacted with shouldn't affect you this way."

Even if Sean already thirded himself, I'll second him. It's a rather hideous downside to being a chronic lurker that I'd never considered until now: John's posts and articles cheered up my day when I really needed it with ridiculously high frequency, and I've wasted my chances to ever let him know that or thank him for it.

Even if it is far past due ... thanks, John. And one more set of best regards.
   251. Lunkus Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM (#3113573)
Condolences to all.
John-- Thanks for the joy. You will be missed and remembered.
   252. scotto Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM (#3113574)
I wish his family the best, and hope that he finds peace. I'll miss him.
   253. Nolan Giesbrecht Posted: March 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM (#3113575)
His articles were always a must read for me and his posts always enhanced the conversation. My prayers go out to his family.

Rest in peace, John
   254. Srul Itza Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM (#3113577)
his posts always enhanced the conversation

Except when they derailed the conversation, to the unending benefit of all participants.
   255. SacBunt Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM (#3113579)
I did actually just toast John here in my kitchen in NC. A bit odd, as my 8-month old daughter on my left arm was the only witness, but it felt right and I'm glad I did.

Looking forward to a memorial fund for those that survive him.
   256. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM (#3113580)
Except when they derailed the conversation, to the unending benefit of all participants.

####, does that mean we're now looking at 10,000-thread posts on religion and steroids instead of 1,000?

BRATTAIN!
   257. So Taguchi is My Sensei Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM (#3113582)
Wow. Sad to hear he went so but good to hear scripture and his relationship w/God was important to him. I'll miss his writing and his humor terribly, but I'm don't think he'd come back for anything, not even if God promised to move the Expos back.
   258. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM (#3113583)
Looking forward to a memorial fund for those that survive him.

Agreed. I hope it doesn't sound too crass, but I'll pledge a donantion right now.

edit: Oh, and I'm going to start going to the gym again tomorrow.
   259. Andere Richtingen Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM (#3113584)
How very sad. John was a very smart guy and a big contributor to baseball discussions in a lot of places, but I'll remember him mostly for his humoUr and unrelenting need to make a joke. Next time I find myself in a thread where people are bashing chests like the elephant seals at Año Nuevo, I'll think wow, this thread could use a John Brattain post, and it won't come, and that will make me sad.
   260. ckash Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM (#3113585)
A terrible loss. My heart goes out to his family.
   261. FBI Regional Bureau Chief GORDON COLE!!! Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM (#3113586)
I'm newish here, but jeez--how awful. Just knowing him from his posts, he seemed like a very friendly, funny guy. RIP.
   262. rlc Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM (#3113587)
What do you mean I have to root for the Angels now?

Are you sure this isn't Hell?

You'll be missed, John.

Best Regards,
rlc
   263. jwb Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM (#3113588)
SacBunt, There is no wrong time or place.
   264. Howie Menckel Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:17 AM (#3113590)
I still have a copy somewhere of the NY Post headline when Roger Maris died:

"MARIS TRADED TO ANGELS"

Yes, really.
   265. Curse of the Andino Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM (#3113593)
Best regards, John
   266. Steve Treder Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:19 AM (#3113594)
I still have a copy somewhere of the NY Post headline when Roger Maris died:

"MARIS TRADED TO ANGELS"

Yes, really.

So, Brattain used to work as a headline writer for the NY Post. Who knew?
   267. Sam M. Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:20 AM (#3113595)
This is a heck of a community, folks. One in which we can all feel so genuinely that a man the vast majority of us have never laid eyes on is someone we'll nevertheless miss, deeply. The humor and heart that John added will be sorely missed, that's certain. But he'd be the first to remind us that there remains plenty of wit -- he was always amazingly quick to praise anyone who'd made him laugh with a post, after all -- and ability to see the funny that baseball always has in store for us.

John wouldn't have wasted his time on a place that didn't give him something -- a lot, in fact -- back for all the terrific things he brought here. I have a pretty strong sense that he'd want us to keep in mind that BTF was a great source of happiness and fulfillment to him, and that he'd send us a heartfelt "best regards" for all that we gave each other.

It won't be the same without him, but it's still going to be special. Just wanted to say that.
   268. Steve Treder Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM (#3113598)
Sh!t, Sam M., here I thought I was finished crying for the afternoon ...
   269. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM (#3113599)
I open up my facebook (it's 8am here), and i read from Larry "We'll miss you John", adn then I started getting this sinking feeling as I opened up BBTF (at work, just like John would have wanted).

John would have also wanted us to each make an obscene comment, I couldn't come up with anything 10 minutes ago, so here it goes:

So that's the second person I've had die on my Facebook.

Best regards John, we'll miss you.
   270. villageidiom Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM (#3113601)
John - You will be missed. It's clear that you will be leaving a big void here, at THT, at BDD, and anywhere you've graced us online. That said, I cannot begin to imagine the impact on people who knew you best, especially your family.

If any of the Brattains are reading this... I hope the words expressed in this thread convey to you that we know how special John was, and that we know how lucky we are that he was loaned to us for 44 years. Though we cannot comprehend your loss, you are certainly not alone in missing him. It is hard for some of us to help you and your family from a distance, but please let us know if there is some way we can help you through this difficult time.
   271. T.J. Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM (#3113603)
Ah crap. Perhaps it's time for a Primer Hall Of Fame. John is clearly a first balloteer.

Screw the PHOF. They'd allow in all sorts of mediocrities, like "T.J. makes a mochary or the sport." First Ballot for the Primer Hall of MERIT for Brattain!

I'll miss him, too. Wow.

Best Regards,

T.J.
   272. Schtoopo Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM (#3113604)
I remember way back in the day, very likely on old primer, one of John's stupid jokes annoyed me for no other reason that it being stupid. So, went all sarcastic on him. He was so nice and friendly in jabbing back at me that I felt like the biggest ass in the world. Ever since then I've been far more humble in my internetting. A good man teaches you lessons like that without even meaning to.

You'll be missed John.
   273. Spahn Insane Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM (#3113605)
Unbelievable. Terrible, just terrible.

It was an oddly proud moment for me when I became the unwitting subject of one of John's many, many handles, after I spoke of a stinking drunk Meatwad crashing at my place after a Cubs/Brewers game. John christened himself "retro's violated futon."

And of course, there was much, much more where that came from. Best regards, John, indeed.
   274. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq., LLC Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM (#3113606)
I posted this on the RLYW:

About two years ago, my friend and colleague John Brattain let the THT staff know that he was having some serious health problems. With John’s passing, I re-read the email I sent him in reply, and it pretty much sums up how I feel about John:

One is loathe to write in response to the kinds of things that you’ve been saying lately, because you don’t want to come across as pessimistic, callous, or even selfish. So we keep what we have to say to ourselves, and when the opportunity to say them is gone, we have regrets we can never quite get over. So to hell with it:

I love you, John. I think I speak for all of us here when I say that, and for all of the people who know you in the baseball community. There is probably nobody more universally loved in our community right now than you, and there probably never will be. You are a good man, too good to suffer like you have so far in this life. Your appreciation for all that you have and have had, and your positive attitude towards all your misfortune only entitles you to so much more joy, and we all are hoping that you get it.

I’ve had my own little misfortunes in life, though nothing remotely close to what you’ve gone through, but you are taking this so much better than I ever have—hell, you’re even taking your own misfortunes better than I am. When I see your attitude, I feel personally guilty for feeling as down about myself as I do.

So I’ll close by saying again: I love you. I’m grateful for knowing you, even in the limited way that we all know each other though our computer screens—and I’m grateful that we’ve had this technology in my lifetime, so that I could have the pleasure of knowing you. And I hope to know you for many, many more years.

Best Regards

Larry

I still love you, John, and I always will. Goodbye, my friend. There will never be another John Brattain.

(If John were here, he’d reply “Thank God!")

Best Regards,

Larry Mahnken
   275. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM (#3113610)
John Brattain dies and retroshiite returns from the grave. Weird day.
   276. Howie Menckel Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM (#3113611)
We Hall of Meriters are heartless - we haven't elected Addie Joss, or Ross Youngs, or Kirby Puckett, and we had the nerve to slam Roberto Clemente's lack of plate discipline before he got elected.

So Brattain's election clearly will not be out of sentiment, but lifetime performance.

That's how we roll.
   277. Spahn Insane Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM (#3113612)
John Brattain dies and retroshiite returns from the grave. Weird day.

I've been lurking around. It just took this sad occasion to compel me to post.
   278. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM (#3113613)
This thread remind anyone else of the "Chuckles the Clown Bites the Dust" episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show? You feel sad but the last thing the departed would want you to do is cry about it.

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants. -- Though with John, it might be something a bit more sinister than seltzer.
   279. Los Angeles Waterloo of Black Hawk Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM (#3113614)
I've been lurking around. It just took this sad occasion to compel me to post.

Even more reason for us to hope for things that are happy.
   280. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM (#3113615)
I KNOW there was a specific post by John saying he'd want a 10 page thread full of jokes in poor taste when he left us, and I can't seem to find it right now, and it's REALLY pissing me off.
   281. PerroX Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM (#3113616)
This thread is a tremendous testament to the man and all the lives he touched with his humor and wit. Can't ever remember an ungracious comment coming from the man. The best tribute to JB is to remember to treat people well in your life, even the ones you disagree with or don't even like very much.

None of us will be around forever. Try to leave the place better than the way you found it.

Best regards to you all.
   282. Srul Itza Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:44 AM (#3113617)
263. GORDON COLE!!, Enthusiastic GRS Cheerleader™ Posted: March 24, 2009 at 08:12 PM (#3113586)
I'm newish here

Funny, you don't look newish.

/Brattain
   283. Howie Menckel Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM (#3113618)
I read a wonderfully poignant article the other day by a colleague mourning her spouse's recent (way too young) passing, and I meant to email her (she's on vacation) to let her know how impressed I was. But I hadn't gotten around to it.

Tonight, that message got sent.

'nuff said.

Clarence the Angel (ironically) from "It's a Wonderful Life"

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

Who among us with 40 more years could ask for more?
   284. PerroX Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:46 AM (#3113619)
A dying man gathered his best friends - a lawyer, doctor and clergyman - at his bedside and handed each of them an envelope containing $25,000 in cash. He made them each promise that after his death and during his repose, they would place the three envelops in his coffin. He told them that he wanted to have enough money to enjoy the next life.

A week later the man died. At the wake, the lawyer and doctor and clergyman each concealed an envelope in the coffin and bid their old client and friend farewell.

By chance, these three met several months later. Soon the clergyman, feeling guilty, blurted out a confession saying that there was only $10,000 in the envelope he placed in the coffin. He felt, rather than waste all the money, he would send it to a mission in South America. He asked for their forgiveness.
The doctor, moved by the gentle Clergyman's sincerity, confessed that he too had kept some of the money for a worthy medical charity. The envelope, he admitted, had only $8000 in it. He said he too could not bring himself to waste the money so frivolously when it could be used to benefit others.

By this time the Lawyer was seething with self-righteous outrage. He expressed his deep disappointment in the felonious behavior of two of his oldest and most trusted friends. "I am the only one who kept my promise to our dying friend. I want you both to know that the envelope I placed in the coffin contained the full amount.

The other men looked down in embarrassment and the lawyer continued, "Indeed, only I honored the deathbed wishes of our great friend. My envelope contained my personal check for the entire $25,000."
   285. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM (#3113620)
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/nbc_sports_yanks_fan_allegedly_runs_over_kills_red_sox_fan/

My fondest wish is that were I to pass away and BTF got wind of it (possible
due to my somewhat public profile) there would be (at the minimum) a 500 post
thread full of tasteless one-liners, sick jokes and twisted macabre
humour--the works.

I could think of no finer an epitaph. If anybody complained--just link to
this post.

Best Regards

John
   286. Avoid Running At All Times- S. Paige Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM (#3113621)
My fondest wish is that were I to pass away and BTF got wind of it (possible due to my somewhat public profile) there would be (at the minimum) a 500 post thread full of tasteless one-liners, sick jokes and twisted macabre humour--the works.

I could think of no finer an epitaph. If anybody complained--just link to this post.

Best Regards

John

Found this on a search. I don't know how to link it without using the whole url.

EDIT: I guess Chris Wok found it before me.
   287. Swedish Chef Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM (#3113622)
   288. Lassus Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM (#3113623)
Brattain would undoubtedly want to torture as many of us as possible into watching Lyle Overbay together so he could then laugh his ass off because we not only were suckered into that but ALSO paying so much money getting into Scary New Stadium - just because we felt terrible that he was dead.

Then and only then will I pull out the "Toronto stinks worse than John Brattain does now" joke.

No need to plan now, the first one isn't until July, but just to get the thought in everyone's head.
   289. philistine Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM (#3113624)
Very sorry to hear the desperate news. Sincere condolences to all of you who had to put up with his puns and bible quotes in person.

John and I once promised to dance on the Bewigged Satan's grave together. Guess that won't be happening. John, you'll just have to haunt the ######.

best regards
philistine
   290. John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:00 AM (#3113626)
But he'd be the first to remind us that there remains plenty of wit -- he was always amazingly quick to praise anyone who'd made him laugh with a post, after all

Indeed, Sam. Getting a thumbs up from John for something I had written in jest was certainly high praise.
   291. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:01 AM (#3113627)
Damn. It says a lot about John that so many people who don't regularly post here came out of the woodwork to express their condolences.

John's groan-worthy posts were a reliable and lovable part of this site, and will be sorely missed. He seemed like a real gentleman, and I was often amazed by his combination of humor, faith, patience, and obsession with baseball. Not to mention his tireless, prolific writing.

Best Regards,

Dave
   292. Sam M. Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:02 AM (#3113628)
My fondest wish is that were I to pass away and BTF got wind of it (possible due to my somewhat public profile) there would be (at the minimum) a 500 post thread full of tasteless one-liners, sick jokes and twisted macabre humour--the works.

Since we don't know for sure how John passed, I guess I have to ask . . . has anyone checked on the whereabouts of Ben Christensen?
   293. . . . . . . Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:02 AM (#3113629)
Unlike most here, I was never the biggest fan of John's work. But he was such an obviously wonderful and genial man. He always made any thread he inhabited more gentlemanly and charming. What a loss.
   294. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:05 AM (#3113631)
#193 is pretty amazing.
   295. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:06 AM (#3113633)
If he accomplished much, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants... and then peeing into their shirt pockets.

He will be missed.

Best regards,
Vlad
   296. Kurt Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:07 AM (#3113634)
I don't have much to add, other than one more voice to the chorus signing his praises. Like some others here, I never had direct interaction with him but always appreciated his contributions and his wonderful perspective on life. Best regards.
   297. TomH Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:08 AM (#3113635)
Our loss.

Why did John B cross his heart and hope to die?

To get to the other side.
   298. Howie Menckel Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:11 AM (#3113637)
Seems like those of you in AL-only or mixed leagues without BBTF colleagues will just have to acquire Overbay in your auction/draft by any means necessary.

:)
   299. rr Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:12 AM (#3113639)

I heard he is donating his hair to Selig, his legs to Samson, and his balls to Bonds.

He is giving nothing to Neyer, up in Portland, since he did not believe in Oregon donation.
   300. Lassus Posted: March 25, 2009 at 01:14 AM (#3113640)
On the bright side, Jeff Loria is about to have his worst Christmas Eve ever.
Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
aleskel
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogWhy Curt Schilling Has No Place In Cooperstown
(202 - 9:11am, Nov 27)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10608 - 9:04am, Nov 27)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(1899 - 8:38am, Nov 27)
Last: Paul d mobile

NewsblogBrian Vikander on Steve Dalkowski and the 110-MPH Fastball
(28 - 7:12am, Nov 27)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogWhy everybody should vote Andy Pettitte into the Hall of Fame
(44 - 2:57am, Nov 27)
Last: Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 11-25-2020
(7 - 12:32am, Nov 27)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogLet's Rethink the Playoffs
(15 - 9:18pm, Nov 26)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 2020 Ballot
(4 - 8:36pm, Nov 26)
Last: MrC.

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Winter Is Here
(118 - 5:05pm, Nov 26)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogArenado to Dodgers? Don't rule it out
(25 - 11:14am, Nov 26)
Last: puck

NewsblogWhat happened to Andrew Benintendi? And can he rebound from it?
(2 - 8:10am, Nov 26)
Last: bfan

NewsblogOT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (November 2020)
(14 - 3:17am, Nov 26)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogDominant KBO season by NC Dinos culminates in Korean Series title
(2 - 2:16am, Nov 26)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogSources: Atlanta Braves, RHP Charlie Morton agree to 1-year, $15 million deal
(22 - 1:46am, Nov 26)
Last: Snowboy

NewsblogRandy Arozarena filmed in domestic dispute over daughter in Mexico
(11 - 12:35am, Nov 26)
Last: charityslave is thinking about baseball

Page rendered in 0.6268 seconds
48 querie(s) executed