Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Top prospects in teams’ 60-man player pools

Rays: Wander Franco, SS (No. 1), Brendan McKay, LHP/DH (No. 2), Vidal Brujan, 2B/SS (No. 3), Shane Baz, RHP (No. 5), Shane McClanahan, LHP (No. 7), Joe Ryan, RHP (No. 8), Josh Lowe, OF (No. 9), Ronaldo Hernandez, C (No. 11), Taylor Walls, SS (No. 15), Kevin Padlo, 3B/1B (No. 16), Randy Arozarena, OF (No. 17), Peter Fairbanks, RHP (No. 24), Lucius Fox, SS (No. 25), Josh Fleming, LHP (No. 28), Esteban Quiroz, 2B (No. 30)

Baseball’s top prospect is among the talent Tampa Bay has included in its player pool, with Franco ready to debut if and when he’s called upon. Whether the 19-year-old phenom cracks the big league roster or has an opportunity to face big league talent in intrasquad games at the Rays’ remote training site in Port Charlotte, there is excitement in knowing that he will be in action, among a number of exciting players Tampa Bay will have at the ready among its 60-man player pool.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 28, 2020 at 08:38 PM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: club pool

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

   1. Walt Davis Posted: June 28, 2020 at 08:47 PM (#5960068)
Oof, Cubs lost to the Yanks 20-9 yesterday in the b-ref sim -- time to call all those kids up!

As the article notes, many of the real prospects here are on the list just so they can get some playing time on the taxi squad.
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 28, 2020 at 10:31 PM (#5960085)
Tim Tebow didn't make it, I guess the Mets aren't interested in winning this year.
   3. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 29, 2020 at 09:23 AM (#5960096)
Oof, Cubs lost to the Yanks 20-9 yesterday in the b-ref sim -- time to call all those kids up!


I keep telling ya, you're watching the wrong sim, Walt... The better-managed sim Cubs just completed a 4-0 sweep of the Angels, on top of a 4-0 sweep of the Dodgers in the NLCS, after 3-0 sweep of the Cardinals, to put an exclamation mark on a 118-44 regular season. Kyle Lewis homered 4 times - including a 3-HR game in the opener - and drove in 11 to win the NLCS MVP, while Ian Happ posted 4 HRs in the Angels sweep to take home the WS MVP. Craig Kimbrel got Mike Trout to fly out to end it...
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM (#5960134)
Zonk, sometimes I wonder how that sim is still fun for you, given how absurdly rigged it seems to be in your favor. You can apparently trade spare parts for whoever you want, your players put up 1968 pitcher and 1998 hitter stats, and I think Hayward even had the decency to have a season ending injury just as he was starting to hit like real life Heyward.
   5. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 29, 2020 at 11:41 AM (#5960144)
Winning is always fun... but I enjoy the progression - year 1 is hoarding useful prospect-y chits... year 2 is consolidating and upgrading those chits while starting serious succession planning... year 3 starts to mix in some homegrown talent.... eventually, it becomes a matter of chasing records, milestones, and Hall of Fame votes. The furthest I've gone in a dynasty was 12 seasons.

This was the first dynasty where I literally managed every game - ordinarily, I manage roughly half and sim the remainder... this is also fun - while I swept the Dodgers, game 3 was a 13-inning instant classic... a 0-0 pitcher's duel until the 7th, Kimbrel blows a 1-run lead in the 9th... solo runs traded in the 12th...

Beyond that, though - I enjoy managing the organization. I individually handle all minor league rosters and lineups - which forms an early attachment to guys, plus I agonize over the draft... Since I make so many trades, it makes for some fun 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon on trades - plus the occasional fail.

In any case, my pitchers weren't *really* throwing '68 style lines - more like peak 70s lines... and the hitters ultimately ended up finishing within sight of expectations - Baez actually posted just a 97 OPS+, but 5.1 WAR thanks to his defense. Happ at 4.8 was a nice upside, but Bryant's OPS+ was just 111, lowest of his career.... Rizzo was typical Rizzo.... The key was a bench of Marwin Gonzalez, Victor Caratini, Nomar Mazara, and Lewis.

I got *very* lucky with injuries more than anything -- Quintana missed a month, but other than that - Bote, Happ, and Heyward were the only position players to hit the DL (though, annoyingly, Rizzo had 2 separate suspensions for charging the mound following HBPs... which is silly, considering how much HBPs are part of his game)...
   6. JJ1986 Posted: June 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM (#5960148)
Tim Tebow didn't make it, I guess the Mets aren't interested in winning this year.
They did bring Walker Lockett who is probably worse than Tebow.
   7. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: June 29, 2020 at 12:18 PM (#5960157)
Zonk, sometimes I wonder how that sim is still fun for you

No mound visits
   8. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 29, 2020 at 12:29 PM (#5960160)
Fair point.
   9. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 29, 2020 at 12:35 PM (#5960163)
I'm sure I miscounted - and I suppose technically, my count was flawed anyway because it excluded pitchers who started an inning but failed to get an out (I just did a quick count of 1/3 or 2/3 partial IP lines)... but just via quick count, I think I made less than 80 total mid-inning pitcher changes all year.
   10. Walt Davis Posted: June 29, 2020 at 05:53 PM (#5960253)
No mound visits

I still miss Earl Weaver Baseball.

The better-managed sim Cubs just completed a 4-0 sweep of the Angels, on top of a 4-0 sweep of the Dodgers in the NLCS, after 3-0 sweep of the Cardinals, to put an exclamation mark on a 118-44 regular season

Spoilers.

I wonder how that sim is still fun for you

I don't remember if it was Baseball Mogul or OOTP but it was back around the dawn of OOTP. Anyway, to give myself a challenge, I moved the Brewers to Green Bay and, to make matters worse, I forgot to change the stadium to a cozy 15,000-seater so I was playing in 60,000-seat Milw County Stadium (teleported to Green Bay) so could never raise ticket prices with 45,000 empty seats. I still made the playoffs nearly every year (the occasional 1 or 2-season reset when a draft didn't quite work out) and won the WS every other year or so. Generally, if the team didn't make the playoffs, they made no money and I couldn't sign anybody long-term. I did finally catch on that I could sell off one of my lower-ranked pitching prospects for enough money to pay my best player decently for a few years. I was "cheating" of course in that as long as you just made sure you put an insane amount of budget into scouting, you'd always draft really well and you could also monkey around to make sure you had some of the best ML hitting/pitching coaches on your minor-league coaching staff so you'd develop insanely well too.
   11. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 29, 2020 at 06:45 PM (#5960273)
I don't remember if it was Baseball Mogul or OOTP but it was back around the dawn of OOTP. Anyway, to give myself a challenge, I moved the Brewers to Green Bay and, to make matters worse, I forgot to change the stadium to a cozy 15,000-seater so I was playing in 60,000-seat Milw County Stadium (teleported to Green Bay) so could never raise ticket prices with 45,000 empty seats. I still made the playoffs nearly every year (the occasional 1 or 2-season reset when a draft didn't quite work out) and won the WS every other year or so. Generally, if the team didn't make the playoffs, they made no money and I couldn't sign anybody long-term. I did finally catch on that I could sell off one of my lower-ranked pitching prospects for enough money to pay my best player decently for a few years. I was "cheating" of course in that as long as you just made sure you put an insane amount of budget into scouting, you'd always draft really well and you could also monkey around to make sure you had some of the best ML hitting/pitching coaches on your minor-league coaching staff so you'd develop insanely well too.


Not sure what the last version you played was - but I think the game has actually done a nice job of "obscuring" the old "just always sign LEGENDARY staff"... It predates OOTP21, but for the last several versions- the 'reputation' rating of coaches has become nothing more than a reflection of "he coached a team that did well". Now, you've really got to focus on matching pitcher (Finesse/Fireballer/Groundballer) and hitter (contact/power/plate awareness) types to minor league coaches.... Coaching staffs now seem to have an appropriate level of opaqueness and you can't just sign the best guy via sort and go... I tend to prefer power hitters and power pitchers - but you still have to check your staffs regularly and pay attention to what sorts of coach your *best* prospects benefit from.

The best thing that OOTP21 changed - and I'm still learning the ins/outs - is adding another layer of haziness to scouts.... Now - beyond the potential for your scout to be 'right' or 'wrong' about a player, there's a 'scouting accuracy' level.... It takes time to figure out - I figure I need 3-5 seasons - but you can now "focus" your scouts on specific player types (including age, etc) and - unlike prior versions where you just leaned on the annual rescout, you have to actively scout individual players multiple times... I.e, for the June draft - you'd have to scout guys 3+ times and the "accuracy" would degrade over time; more rapidly for say, HS guys or JuCo guys.... Basically - my scout now has a 30-40 player list he's always working on... you've got to scout your own guys, guys you're targeting (whether via trade or draft).

I'll grant - the finances are just too easy game... play as the Cubs (or Yankees/Dodgers/etc) and you really shouldn't ever have a *bad* team....
   12. Walt Davis Posted: June 30, 2020 at 08:06 PM (#5960479)
Not sure what the last version you played was

Ages ago. They tried at least one fix while I was still playing it -- you could only sign top coaches if you had a ML spot open -- but I outfoxed them at least one more time by demoting my ML coach to the minors, signing the new hitting coach to the majors spot then, if I thought the original guy was better, swapping them back.

But yes, they were fixing lots of stuff and adding lots of complexity. It was really the latter that stopped me playing -- not that I wanted a simple game but I also didn't want one where I was gonna have to either quit my job or hire a real-life asst GM to look after the small stuff. Stuff like you're talking about. Those are "interesting" wrinkles but I don't have the time for that. I'd have been happy with "we've gotten rid of miracle-working coaches and we've added uncertainty to the information available to you and ... " Something like a player's real talent is X but will appear to you as somewhere in the range of X +/- Y and even the best coach has only a 50% chance of making him better, a 25% chance of having no effect and a 25% chance of making ... or whatever would work out realistically. So sure, there's no way Green Bay should have been able to regularly toast Tampa Bay much less the Yankees. I'd have been fine with a game that automatically produced realistic outcomes in development and left the ML decisions to me.
   13. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: July 01, 2020 at 08:37 AM (#5960525)
Ages ago. They tried at least one fix while I was still playing it -- you could only sign top coaches if you had a ML spot open -- but I outfoxed them at least one more time by demoting my ML coach to the minors, signing the new hitting coach to the majors spot then, if I thought the original guy was better, swapping them back.


Yeah - this no longer works either... coaches can refuse reassignment. You can still skim the margins by extending a lower league guy at will be a lower salary and promoting him to a higher level (guys usually don't complain about that), but again - the advantage is somewhat obscured by the fact it tends to be really hard to know if a coach is really "good"... My rookie league coaches tend to get good reputations because, well, my bloated minor league rosters, filled with trade chits tend to do really well and if your AZL team hits 320 (because it has a lot of guys blocked at higher levels), the hitting coach gets thought of as some kind of bat whisperer because a bunch of Kean Wong/Orlando Calixte/Arismendy Alcantara sorts are bashing in the skulls of a bunch of teenage pitchers.

But yes, they were fixing lots of stuff and adding lots of complexity. It was really the latter that stopped me playing -- not that I wanted a simple game but I also didn't want one where I was gonna have to either quit my job or hire a real-life asst GM to look after the small stuff. Stuff like you're talking about. Those are "interesting" wrinkles but I don't have the time for that. I'd have been happy with "we've gotten rid of miracle-working coaches and we've added uncertainty to the information available to you and ... " Something like a player's real talent is X but will appear to you as somewhere in the range of X +/- Y and even the best coach has only a 50% chance of making him better, a 25% chance of having no effect and a 25% chance of making ... or whatever would work out realistically. So sure, there's no way Green Bay should have been able to regularly toast Tampa Bay much less the Yankees. I'd have been fine with a game that automatically produced realistic outcomes in development and left the ML decisions to me.


Some replay/historical leagues skip the minors... plus, given that MLB is gutting its farm teams anyway, you could always just reduce the minor league levels... To be honest - other than my recent draftees I like - I don't spend a lot of time finessing my two DSL and AZL teams... Generally, I just focus on South Bend/A and above.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

 

 

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand


BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Yost (Voxter)
for his generous support.

Bookmarks

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogWith baby on the way, Trout unsure if he'll play
(52 - 7:09pm, Jul 06)
Last: RJ in TO

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(6521 - 7:01pm, Jul 06)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogCleveland Indians look into changing name amid pressure
(140 - 6:47pm, Jul 06)
Last: winnipegwhip

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-6-2020
(23 - 6:18pm, Jul 06)
Last: Nasty Nate

NewsblogOT – NBA Revival Thread 2020
(465 - 6:04pm, Jul 06)
Last: Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1928 Results
(2 - 4:48pm, Jul 06)
Last: DL from MN

NewsblogCovid-19 test delays impacting multiple teams
(14 - 4:43pm, Jul 06)
Last: Karl from NY

Newsblog8th? BBTF Central Park Softball Game: October 3
(54 - 4:00pm, Jul 06)
Last: Hysterical & Useless

NewsblogNats’ Ryan Zimmerman, Joe Ross among first MLB players to opt out of 2020 season
(6 - 3:54pm, Jul 06)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogBill James: Why We Need Runs Saved Against Zero
(181 - 3:30pm, Jul 06)
Last: Rally

NewsblogDodgers pitcher David Price opts out of 2020 MLB season
(14 - 2:19pm, Jul 06)
Last: Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Spring 2020
(367 - 1:03pm, Jul 06)
Last: Mefisto

NewsblogYankees’ Masahiro Tanaka hit in head by Giancarlo Stanton line drive
(16 - 11:08am, Jul 06)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogOT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2020)
(2 - 9:39am, Jul 06)
Last: PreservedFish

NewsblogAre there graves under Tropicana Field parking lots? Archaeologists want to find out
(8 - 3:02am, Jul 06)
Last: John Northey

-->

Page rendered in 0.3340 seconds
46 querie(s) executed