Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, July 30, 2021

TRADE DEADLINE DECOMPRESSION OMNICHATTER, for July 30, 2021

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:36 PM | 79 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. salvomania Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:46 PM (#6031694)
Is it just me or does this deadline period seem wilder than usual?
   2. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:47 PM (#6031695)
HOW WILL THE ANGELS LOSE AFTER A TERRIBLE TRADE DEADLINE TODAY?!
   3. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:48 PM (#6031696)
Today's trade deadline was insanity. Someone put greenies in all the GMs' coffees.
   4. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:50 PM (#6031699)
This has to be one of the biggest deadlines ever in terms of sheer number of deals, but also the star quality involved.

Scherzer, Turner, Gallo, Berrios, Baez, Rizzo, Bryant; these are huge names.
   5. asinwreck Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:51 PM (#6031701)
This one was wild. I was satisfied yesterday when the Sox got a reliever and second baseman to fill the team's most glaring holes, and then they got Kimbrel today to team with Hendriks and Kopech in the bullpen.

The Pirates made a flurry of deals announced after the deadline.
   6. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:54 PM (#6031702)
John Lester to the cardinals…

I am kind of stunned that the cardinals traded John Gant to the twins for JA Happ ahead of a 4 game series with the Twins. Dude has been worth -1.9 rwar this year… They should have let the twins have Gant and keep Happ, on the condition that he start at least one game for the twins.
   7. O Tempura, O Morays ('Spos) Posted: July 30, 2021 at 04:55 PM (#6031705)
The remaining Cubs and Nats should be an interesting series...
   8. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:04 PM (#6031710)
I feel like there were a lot more intra-divisional trades than usual. Trades like that used to never, ever happen.
   9. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:05 PM (#6031713)
Scherzer and Turner in the same deal would be insanity enough.

And some of the players who aren't famous are still pretty significant. Nick Madrigal isn't some A-ball lotto ticket.
   10. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:07 PM (#6031717)
Cardinals added basically innings eaters to hopefully keep them at .500 until the return of Flaherty and Mikolas is the plan I guess. The offense hasn't clicked at all this year, but the pieces are there, no reason to tear it down, especially with Arenado still having the option to opt out. The goal at this point is a wild card, or division, as the wild card is probably tougher to get than the actual division, but with what the Cubs did, it is going to make it even easier for the Brewers to pull away from the pack.
   11. The Mighty Quintana Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:10 PM (#6031718)
Red Sox get Schwarber, but only 1 game played at 1B in his career!? Can't be any worse there than he is in left field, though...
   12. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:14 PM (#6031720)
CFB: Happ for Gant? Really? Can you explain that one for me?
   13. John DiFool2 Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:21 PM (#6031725)
It's a sad day in Shytown (welp northern reaches at least). The 2016 champs were young and talented, but a dynasty was simply not to be. Still, 1 title is better than none. Sic transit gloria mundi.
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:27 PM (#6031730)

Not really, it's confusing to me, my guess is the team is more willing to let Happ pitch deeper and destroy his arm vs babying Gant for the long term. It's the only thing I can think of.
   15. Voodoo Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:29 PM (#6031731)
Red Sox get Schwarber, but only 1 game played at 1B in his career!? Can't be any worse there than he is in left field, though...

Schwarber is a perfectly fine LFer.
   16. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:32 PM (#6031734)
The last 24 hours have been absolutely gutting.
   17. villageidiom Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:41 PM (#6031739)
Schwarber is a perfectly fine LFer.
Hernandez can play 2B, but also, they have two OF (Verdugo, Schwarber) who can hit RHP well, and two (Hernandez, Renfroe) who can hit LHP well. Three of each, if you count JD Martinez as an outfielder, which you should never do.
   18. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: July 30, 2021 at 05:59 PM (#6031748)
The remaining Cubs and Nats should be an interesting series...

Tonight both teams have to be playing with less than the normal 26. I think the Nats have a better chance at getting reinforcements up; the Cubs are gonna have a hard time with that.

I've been tilting at this windmill for 6 years now, but he's not *that* bad in LF.

with what the Cubs did, it is going to make it even easier for the Brewers to pull away from the pack.

Cubs have 7 left against MIL, 7 against STL, and 6 against CIN. That doesn't help the Brewers disproportionately.
   19. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:01 PM (#6031750)
So like I said a couple of days ago, the Cubs in danger of missing the train. :-)

I'm worried Madrigal's injury may be more serious than a torn hamstring already sounds. Don't get me wrong, it's a great get for 2 months and an option on Kimbrel. I suppose he's never been a base-stealer but (minor league gold glove aside) the defense seems to have been pretty average already so if the injury reduces the range, that could be a problem. With a team now built on 19-year-olds, it's a little odd to finally address the 2B problem. :-)

I don't know enough about prospects to know whether Jed got good value in all these trades or not. I'm a little surprised the Mets didn't grab Davies rather than Williams.

Seems a pretty high price for Berrios but he is a good pitcher with a year of control left. Unless I've missed a headline, we didn't see Buxton move. The Twins still seemed in a reasonable spot to compete next year (assuming some offseason additions) but the Berrios trade makes me wonder if that's the plan.

#4: And Nelson Cruz, 2021 All-Star Adam Frazier, Starling Marte (for Luzardo), Hand.
   20. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:09 PM (#6031752)
Because it's funny, and sad:

Cubs lineup:
Ortega CF
Contreras C
Happ LF
Wisdom 1B
Bote 2B
Heyward RF
Duffy 3B
Alcantara SS
Arrieta SP

And:
Meghan Montemurro @M_Montemurro
Cubs roster moves:

-RHP Manny Rodriguez recalled
-OF Johneshwy Fargas recalled
-INF Frank Schwindel recalled
-RHP Michael Rucker selected
-OF/IF Andrew Romine selected
-RHP Jake Arrieta reinstated from 10-day IL

EDIT - the Cubs traded 9 guys (7 today, 2 yesterday), so that means a 24 man roster today if everyone is there.
   21. salvomania Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:13 PM (#6031754)

Oh my gosh, I just looked at Happ's numbers, and I had *no idea*....

There are 149 pitchers who have made at least 10 starts this year.

Happ is:
149th in WAR (-1.9), 146th in ERA (6.77), 135th in FIP (5.40), 147th in H/9 (11.44), 149th in ER allowed, 137th in WHIP (1.586), 142nd in HR allowed, it goes on and on.

He's been quite literally one of the worst, possibly *the* worst, regular starting pitcher in baseball in 2021.

I mean Gant has his issues, but jeez, this is like someone leaving a flaming turd on your front porch, and the someone was you.
   22. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:26 PM (#6031758)
I mentioned it in the Schwarber thread but let me third the motion that he is not a BAD LF. He's not good obviously but his reputation is based on a couple of rare but really bad misplays (most of them, what, 6 years ago now when he was new to the position). He's got a good arm for a LF, catches what he gets to, doesn't get to as much as you'd like but we're not talking Luzinski here. Seems a perfectly adequate fit for Fenway LF. I would not put him at 1B ... he can learn it no doubt but he's never played there before so you don't want to do it midseason. Which is another way of saying I still can't believe the Red Sox didn't land Rizzo.
   23. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:33 PM (#6031762)
The Gant-Happ trade is just weird. Gant has been a decent pitcher and has one arb year left. Happ is more expensive and FA at the end of the year. My spidey sense suggests there's something else going on here like Gant pissed off the wrong guy in the front office or is disruptive in the clubhouse or has been flirting with Mrs Schildt (no offense to Mrs Schildt is such a person exists).
   24. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:33 PM (#6031763)
I mentioned it in the Schwarber thread but let me third the motion that he is not a BAD LF. He's not good obviously but his reputation is based on a couple of rare but really bad misplays (most of them, what, 6 years ago now when he was new to the position). He's got a good arm for a LF, catches what he gets to, doesn't get to as much as you'd like but we're not talking Luzinski here. Seems a perfectly adequate fit for Fenway LF. I would not put him at 1B ... he can learn it no doubt but he's never played there before so you don't want to do it midseason. Which is another way of saying I still can't believe the Red Sox didn't land Rizzo.

having watched Schwarber over the years, and I never got the impression he was 'bad'... (Kingman or Dunn level of bad) just a guy with limited range. More like Hendrick (George Hendrick) type of bad.
   25. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:35 PM (#6031766)
The Gant trade makes me think of the front office doing something just to do something. Maybe find lightening in the bottle with Happ or something but ultimately Gant was probably not going to figure into next years plans anyway... so let him go, see what happens and open up roster space next year for Reyes or whoever.
   26. asinwreck Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:41 PM (#6031768)
My concerns about Madrigal are less about this specific injury than the fact that he's had different serious injuries 3 of the past 4 years. Maybe that's not an omen of what is to come, but I'm not confident he'll be able to stay healthy enough to take advantage of his otherworldly contact skills.
   27. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 06:56 PM (#6031779)
Statcast however is not a Schwarber fan although statcast doesn't get very worked up about OF defense at all. This year it doesn't really like any LF, the best is at +4 (Eli White in Tex). The best you've heard of is Yelich at +2 (missed some time, maybe +4 if he'd been healthy). Schwarber is down at -5 which is very close to the bottom but the bottom is only -9 (Lourdes Gurriel). It rates him similar to Clint Frazier, Dominic Smith, McCutchen, Winker. Remember, statcast rates relative to the average OF, not the average LF, so CFs are in the comp group.

If we look over the last 5 seasons, statcast puts Duvall #1 with +16 outs. That's just 3 outs a year, who cares? He's the only one above +10 and only 2 more guys are over +5. Schwarber is dead last by a mile at -36, 14 outs worse than Eddie Rosario. ("Qualified" is apparently 1 attempt per team game so probably a few guys who are worse but didn't get the PT.) Expand it to all OF and he's 2nd worst to Castellanos at -43 with an honorable mention to Adam Jones who compiled -26 in just 3 statcast seasons.

So taking statcast at its word, compared with the best LF, Schwarber gives up about 10 outs a year; about 8 vs a good one; about 6 vs an average one; about 4 vs Benintendi. So over the rest of the season, he'll probably get to 1-2 fewer balls than Sox fans are used to.
   28. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:05 PM (#6031783)
#26: Yep, even more reason for concern. But otherworldly contact is less valuable if it's not combined with speed -- i.e. fewer IF hits, less value after you get your single. Obviously if you're a Tony Gwynn LD machine, speed doesn't matter as much. But also, hammies seem more likely to become chronic than many other injuries. Anyway, it sounds like I'm complaining and I'm pretty happy with that trade so I'll be quiet.
   29. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:08 PM (#6031785)
Oh gross. It only really just hit me that I have to see Javy Baez in a Mets uni. That is a truly revolting thought.
   30. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:29 PM (#6031789)
I feel like the Nats are cheating in this one -- they have an actual ML hitter in their lineup (Josh Bell).
   31. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:43 PM (#6031795)
One year averages is just that, and even before we started to take defensive stats seriously, we have always known that one year averages for defense is just not enough data. He's a below average fielder, yes, but he's not "bad" he's below average. Left field is where poor defenders go, so even average is generally a poor defender, that is something we know, you park those guys there.

It's honestly not a position that anyone is worried about defensively.
   32. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:44 PM (#6031796)
Going to the game tomorrow... Ted Simmons bobble head day, I had to go.
   33. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:45 PM (#6031797)
Rodolfo Castro gets his first major league non HR hit thanks to little league level drifting back on a fly ball by Bryce Harper and gets a GR Double. I hate that rule, it should be an error all the way.
   34. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 07:53 PM (#6031799)
Rodolfo Castro gets his first major league non HR hit thanks to little league level drifting back on a fly ball by Bryce Harper and gets a GR Double. I hate that rule, it should be an error all the way.

And I hate calling an automatic double, a ground rule double, unless it's specific to that park... A ground rule is park specific.
   35. Ron J Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:00 PM (#6031803)
#19 (and others) yeah so much going on I just missed Marte for Luzardo
   36. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:11 PM (#6031807)
#34, while you are right, I have never heard an announcer refer to an automatic double. That’s current day, before that Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn, By Sam and Bill Campbell all the way back to Waite Hoyt when I was a wee Redleg fan.
   37. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:11 PM (#6031809)
For the record, what I think the Cardinals think about Happ is that he's a guy who is going to suck and lose games for you, but you can throw him out there for 7 innings no matter what and protect the pen for games that might be up for debate. You don't have to worry about his ego or protecting his arm, pitch him, assume a loss and rest the bullpen. It's the inverse in a way of a Wainwright, who will also give you 7 innings and keep you in the game... between the two you have three starts that you can bring in your best relievers.
   38. bookbook Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:16 PM (#6031813)
Given the cost, I’m bummed the Mariners didn’t go after Bryant.
   39. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:32 PM (#6031820)
The Angels pretty much did nothing but shed Andrew Heaney, who went from being the Angels' someday-ace to the picture of mediocrity. Reid Detmers got his call-up, and Chris Rodriguez is supposed to get his soon, so it looks like the team is playing for next year without quite admitting they're playing for next year. Disappointing, but .500 teams to get to act like contenders at the trade deadline.
   40. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:51 PM (#6031822)
Bryce Harper misjudges another fly ball for a double.

It stayed in the park so no semantics discussion needed. ;)
   41. Howie Menckel Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:52 PM (#6031823)
for those of a certain age:

new Cubs CF prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong's mother played the role of the cute Mom in the 1990s movie Little Big League...
   42. salvomania Posted: July 30, 2021 at 08:55 PM (#6031824)
What's gotten into Joey Votto? Just homered in his seventh straight game.
   43. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:10 PM (#6031825)
#31 ... you might want to check #22 for my personal opinion. The advantage of defensive stats is the objective application of a methodology to every player; the disadvantage of them is that of course they're wrong anytime I disagree with them. :-) You also might note that in the 2nd paragraph of #27 that I presented the 5-year statcast totals as well -- and those 5-year totals have Schwarber as by far the worst regular LF and 2nd-worst regular OF. You might also note that I point out that, by statcast numbers, the quality of LF defense is not a big deal.

We can of course be both "right" and "wrong." Schwarber can be a perfectly decent LF as in he's only gonna cost you one out a month relative to an average LF. Turns out such a performance, according to statcast, would be enough to make him the worst (regular) LF in the game and by a pretty substantial margin.

OF defense is sort of ... fascinating? Statcast presents a plot of all of Schwarber's attempts over the last 5 years (a bit shy of 900). It's hard to say for sure but it appears that over half of them are within an area about the size of my living/dining room. That's backed up by some other measures -- the vast majority of fly balls are nice, easy cans of corn, many of them barely requiring you to move. Any OF can make those plays. The difference between the best and worst OF is about one ball per week towards the edge of the zone where Buxton runs them down most of the time, an average OF about half the time and Schwarber has no earthly chance at.**

** Which of course is obvious with one look at his barrel chest and stubby little legs. And the one time he did manage to get to a ball at the edge of his zone, he intersected with Fowler and tore up his knee.
   44. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:12 PM (#6031827)
   45. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:13 PM (#6031828)
He's a Real Yankee now!
   46. sanny manguillen Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:13 PM (#6031829)
I feel like there were a lot more intra-divisional trades than usual. Trades like that used to never, ever happen.

Competition now is between teams who are at the same point in their teardown/rebuild.
   47. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:19 PM (#6031832)

Here's a direct quote from Votto:

"Oh, I’m trying to homer. I’m trying to homer,” he said. “That’s the difference.”
   48. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:19 PM (#6031833)
He's a Real Yankee for now!

FIFY.
   49. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:24 PM (#6031834)

We can of course be both "right" and "wrong." Schwarber can be a perfectly decent LF as in he's only gonna cost you one out a month relative to an average LF. Turns out such a performance, according to statcast, would be enough to make him the worst (regular) LF in the game and by a pretty substantial margin.

That is where I'm working from it's not really a deal as long as he is able to catch what he should catch.
   50. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:31 PM (#6031837)
Twins catcher is horrible apparently. neither of those steals were close.
   51. Howie Menckel Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:39 PM (#6031839)

MLB record is 8 - Dale Long, Don Mattingly, and Ken Griffey Jr. I believe
   52. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:40 PM (#6031841)
I knew Dale Long, and Joey Votto, you're no Dale Long.
   53. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:46 PM (#6031842)
Cardinal announcer just asked if "whiney Herzog will be in attendance when Ted Simmons statue is unveiled."

Ummm Whiney Herzog preferred coke addicted catchers over quality catchers like Ted Simmons... There is no chance that moron manager is going to show up to a statue unveiling of a hofer that he threw away for no ####### reason. (and yes, I get that it was a joke by the announcers)
   54. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:50 PM (#6031843)
MLB record is 8 - Dale Long, Don Mattingly, and Ken Griffey Jr. I believe

Sadly that is one of the records I immediately recognize .. and the funny thing is that it sticks in my head because of a power pack comic book.
   55. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:51 PM (#6031844)
Whitey Herzog is still alive?!
   56. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:52 PM (#6031845)
He's a Real Yankee now!
Tonight is more about The Magic of Pinstripes.
   57. Hank Gillette Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:52 PM (#6031846)
And I hate calling an automatic double, a ground rule double, unless it's specific to that park... A ground rule is park specific.

That ship sailed a long time ago.
   58. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 09:57 PM (#6031847)

That ship sailed a long time ago.

I know, but it won't stop my battle
   59. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:00 PM (#6031848)
apparently Adrelton Simmons is an offensive juggernaut with a three hit night.
   60. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:04 PM (#6031849)
Simmons probably thrilled he didn't sign a long-term contact with the Twins. (The feeling's probably mutual. His offense is trash now, tonight notwithstanding.)
   61. Hank Gillette Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:05 PM (#6031850)
I feel like the Nats are cheating in this one -- they have an actual ML hitter in their lineup (Josh Bell).

Two, if you count Soto.
   62. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:05 PM (#6031851)
I was out & about tonight, so still catching up, but it is certainly worthy of belated BBTF notice that the Yankees almost certainly set a record tonight for Largest MLB Outfield with Stanton in LF, Judge in CF & Gallo in RF.
   63. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:10 PM (#6031852)
Still not understanding why Yadier is batting fifth, ahead of Bader or Dejong..
   64. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:12 PM (#6031853)
Mind you, that wasn't a strike.
   65. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:14 PM (#6031854)
Two, if you count Soto.

Who?

Shows how much attention I was paying today and all season. I didn't realize Soto has been playing RF this year, assumed he was still in LF, noticed Parra in LF, assumed Soto not in the lineup. Then never noticed him at bat either which is even weirder. So mega-cheaters with 2 legit hitters in a AAA game.

(The Cubs had Contreras who is a legit hitter but when my team has any advantage, that's a deserved reward for virtuous hard work. When the opponents have any advantage, that is clearly the result of nefarious skullduggery.)
   66. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:14 PM (#6031855)
Simmons is still godlike... he doesn't even get an out and saved his team a run. Not sure how statcast or others will rate it, but it was great.
   67. cardsfanboy Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:17 PM (#6031856)
all moot as Tommy Edman hits a double to clear the bases.
   68. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:20 PM (#6031857)
That ship sailed a long time ago

At least 5 decades ago and I assume Lou Boudreau didn't start suddenly using "ground rule double" in 1970.

By the way ... big surprise comeback during the covid era: Darin Ruf. A brief flash-in-the-pan followed by mediocrity totalled 800 PA of averagish-ness. Then off to Korea for three years. Returned to the majors via the Giants last year at age 33, now has 280 PA of 146 OPS+.
   69. Howie Menckel Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:24 PM (#6031858)
Brandon Drury chasing one of the most coveted records in all of baseball: Highest AVG in a month, minimum 10 AB

he was 6 for 6 in July until a disastrous 2 for 4 performance in an inexplicable start yesterday.

he did bounce back with a pinch-double tonight, so he's 9 for 11 with one day to go (2 HR and a double with 6 singles).

that can't be the record, though
   70. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:27 PM (#6031859)
Apparently Bryant will wear #23 with the Giants. Jake McGee, after a career of un-interesting pitcher numbers, wears #17. I have no idea if Bryant has any connection to 23 (or 17) but 23 of course is retired for the Cubs.
   71. Walt Davis Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:28 PM (#6031860)
Was that Barry Bonds with a baby at today's game?
   72. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:38 PM (#6031862)
Fernando Tatis Jr looks like he just dislocated his shoulder sliding into third base.
   73. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:40 PM (#6031864)
Yankees almost certainly set a record tonight for Largest MLB Outfield with Stanton in LF, Judge in CF & Gallo in RF.
Twitter had this two nights ago, that the Reds outfield of Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, and Wily Mo Pena had about 15 pounds on the current Yankee trio.
   74. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:45 PM (#6031865)
David Weathers' son is pitching for the Padres tonight. He's fat like his dad, but I'm disappointed that he doesn't have the braces.
   75. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:51 PM (#6031867)
What would've been the odds against this?

Total earned runs allowed by Taillon, Germán, Montgomery, Cortes and Taillon again over the Yankees' last five non-Cole starts: 3

Total earned runs allowed by Cole in his last start yesterday: 7
   76. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 30, 2021 at 10:56 PM (#6031868)
Reds outfield of Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, and Wily Mo Pena had about 15 pounds on the current Yankee trio.
That might be the heaviest outfield - although we should check who shared space with Frank Howard - but the Yankees have them by height.
   77. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 30, 2021 at 11:17 PM (#6031873)
Jacob deGrom has de setback:
Mets ace Jacob deGrom has suffered a setback in his rehab from a forearm issue, as recent testing revealed additional inflammation, MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo reports. He’ll be shut down from throwing entirely for another two weeks. It’s already been more than three weeks since deGrom pitched in a game, so he’ll need some form of rehab assignment or buildup once he’s ready to begin throwing again. Given that, it’s hard to imagine him returning to a big-league mound for the Mets prior to September.
On another day this news might spark some interest, or even inflame a few.
   78. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 30, 2021 at 11:21 PM (#6031874)
Connor Joe extends his record for most homers by a player with the last name "Joe" to 2. Still trails among players with any name "Joe."
   79. Howie Menckel Posted: July 31, 2021 at 12:04 AM (#6031876)
Justin Van Zuiden
@stlcardinals84
·
43m
On the postgame interview, they just asked Wade LeBlanc how it felt to be the second youngest member of the rotation for the Cardinals.

His reply was that the last three years, he had been the oldest player on his entire team.

LOL

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogRemorseful Thom Brennaman deserves to work again now; He’s already suffered 14 months of hell
(74 - 11:17am, Sep 21)
Last: Perry

NewsblogMets targeting A’s Billy Beane as candidate to run baseball operations
(24 - 11:15am, Sep 21)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogKansas City Royals' Salvador Perez breaks Johnny Bench's catcher record with 46th HR
(18 - 10:04am, Sep 21)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogIsraeli baseball team wins silver in European Championship, its best result ever
(3 - 10:00am, Sep 21)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4447 - 9:57am, Sep 21)
Last: Willard Baseball

NewsblogVeteran catcher Alex Avila to retire at end of year
(16 - 9:54am, Sep 21)
Last: salvomania

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(14040 - 9:45am, Sep 21)
Last: sanny manguillen

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1894 Discussion
(9 - 9:02am, Sep 21)
Last: DL from MN

Sox TherapyIt's A Sprint, Not A Marathon
(23 - 8:36am, Sep 21)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogThe A’s Rebuild Is Coming
(10 - 7:52am, Sep 21)
Last: bfan

NewsblogShohei Ohtani has sore arm, might not pitch again this season
(39 - 7:44am, Sep 21)
Last: homerwannabee

NewsblogWEEKDAY OMNICHATTER wants you to believe in yourself, for September 20, 2021
(11 - 12:09am, Sep 21)
Last: Howie Menckel

Gonfalon CubsThis all sucks
(34 - 10:30pm, Sep 20)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogGuardians to promote outfielder-turned-reliever Anthony Gose
(17 - 10:20pm, Sep 20)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogKyle Boddy, director of pitching, among minor league staff leaving Cincinnati Reds
(3 - 9:49pm, Sep 20)
Last: Howie Menckel

Page rendered in 0.5487 seconds
48 querie(s) executed